Menu

What Do You Think about Reusing Styrofoam Meat Trays?

Jean in Newcastle

Yes, the trays that hold raw meat. And she used them for food, not art. Ds15 told me "I'm never eating anything prepared by Grandma again." Wait until I clean out her fridge today. . . The sad thing is that some of the mold etc. that we are finding in foods is months old. Dh made me promise to do it first thing. He is afraid that if she sees me throwing things out, she will stop me and will transport the food and eat it. The sad part is that MIL and FIL both have some pretty nasty G-I things going on.

I found MIL's Styrofoam meat tray collection yesterday as I was cleaning out the kitchen cabinets. Do you think this is a safe practice? The collection mysteriously disappeared between their old house and the new. I wonder what happened to it?

Oh, yuck! Didn't you say she is an RN? How could she not know better?

Oh, yuck! Didn't you say she is an RN? How could she not know better?

I'm finding that there is a lot of hoarding of food and food related items that seems to have some basis in having gone through WWII in the Philippines when people were literally starving. So she saves things that she has no need to save. (There are plenty of safe plastic containers).

It's pretty common for people from their generation, growing up during the depression, to do that. I remember my grandparents saving them. I think we used them as paint trays. We never got sick from it. :D Don't worry- I don't keep them! You can eat stuff from my house- I don't use kitchen containers for barf buckets, either! :lol:

I used to have to inspect marine mammal facilities for the state of FL. We would not allow them to keep the dolphin food in any styrofoam because it couldn't be properly sanitized. There are tiny spaces between the styrofoam particles that can harbor germs and it is difficult to clean those areas and even harder to be able to detect whether you have gotten them clean.

So if it would be too dangerous for Flipper, I'd think it would be too dangerous for your relatives. ;)

I'm finding that there is a lot of hoarding of food and food related items that seems to have some basis in having gone through WWII in the Philippines when people were literally starving. So she saves things that she has no need to save. (There are plenty of safe plastic containers).

Oh, this makes sense. People who have lived in this kind of panic and deprivation never forget it nor do they ever seem to feel completely safe and secure. Bless her, poor thing.

Yeah, my dad has some of these tendencies, too. You're a very kind DIL.