Menu

Had a breast biopsy

GraciebytheBay

I am not so patiently awaiting results of a biopsy. I am hoping to hear that others have had clustered microcalcifications and still had benign results. This is a new finding since last year's mammogram. I am nervous because I have had an abundance of estrogen surging for several months (which led to an endometrial ablation in January, but that's another story...), and I know that estrogen causes cancer cells to grow. I am usually pretty good about these things, but I am very nervous! Results should be here tomorrow afternoon. Prayers would be appreciated!

I went through it too and it was so hard to wait. My sister had breast cancer so I was just a bundle of nerves. Mine turned out to be scar tissue from a reduction surgery I had had 3 years earlier, at least that is their best guess. My medical team monitored me with mammograms and ultasounds every 6 months for 2 years. It was a bit nerve wracking to tell you the truth. I hope you get stellar news and that you don't have to wait much longer.

I had this about 10 yrs ago. The microcalcifications looked so much like cancer (they were in starlike constellations) that the OB GYN told my ex husband he was sorry for the diagnosis. They were classified on the mammogram to be grade 5/6: cancerous until proven otherwise by biopsy.

My biopsy was negative. I was followed by an oncology surgeon for 2 yrs and had mammos every 6 mos for that time period and nothing ever turned up. I don't even think they can see the calcifications on mammos anymore.

I think the stats are something like <10% are cancerous.

Well, the news could have been much worse. Here's what I know: "Atypical cells, cell dysplasia. Surgery recommended." Basically, from what I understand, they are pre-cancer cells picked up before they advanced to cancer. I am trying to decide what surgeon to see. I assume they want to do a lumpectomy?

I am so thankful for medical technology. It wasn't that long ago that this wouldn't have been found until it had progressed. I read that some people opt not to have surgery and are closely monitored, and on the opposite part of the spectrum, some decide to have a mastectomy so they don't have to worry. I am not sure where I fall yet...have to digest and process. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I want to have as much information as possible when I speak with the surgeon.

Thank you for all your encouragement and kind words! This is a such a great forum.

:grouphug:

I wish they would find another term to use instead of "pre-cancer," because no one really hears the "pre" part. :glare:

Thank goodness they found the problem while it's still in its earliest, earliest stages.

Praying that you'll find a great surgeon and that you will make a quick and complete recovery!

Mine wasn't 'pre' cancer, but cancer. I'm so glad they used the word PRE for you. :hurray:

It is hard choosing a surgeon (and an oncologist.) One piece of advice I got was to ask nurses in the hospital where the doctor works if they would use him or her.

Lumpectomies are a snap. I've had two. Very little pain and easy recovery.

Here's to good health!