Menu

appliances....who do you trust??

ProudGrandma

My husband and I went appliance shopping today. We went to 2 different stores and got 2 different opinions about which brands are the best. Who do you trust??

In case you are curious: one said Frigidaire is the best and LG were some of the worst brands.

the other salesperson said that she LOVES her Kenmore dishwasher and LG washer and dryer

We don't have many options as far as stores in our area...and I couldn't find Bosch brand appliances...which I know a lor you have and love. And I really don't want to buy something without looking at it first.

so how do you make up your mind? Do you base it on features or what??? I don't want to make a big mistake here.

Also, do you buy extended warranties on your large appliances? My husband is one to lean toward NOT doing that, so I don't know what to think. Is it a waste of money??

Try asking at Gardenweb, although they like higher end like Bosch and Miele. We bought a Miele last year and we really like it. Apparently they still build them to last, but they are somewhat pricey. The lowest end Bosch lines are not as good as they once were; they are now made in the US and not Germany. I would go with a mid end Bosch or higher if you go with that brand. I had a low end Bosch in a previous home and it was great, but the lowest end for the big box stores is apparently different than their old low end.

We bought six Kenmore appliances twelve years ago when we bought our first house. Never had a problem with any of them. (One of them, the chest freezer, is still going strong.) Didn't buy the extended warranties on any of them. Two or three of them were seconds -- small nicks that did not affect functionality in any way but which saved a lot of money. Except for the chest freezer, we left all of them behind when we moved six years ago, none of them having given us a bit of trouble, ever.

Then we bought a mix of appliances for this house, various brands, depending on what the Sears Outlet store happened to have. We have had so much trouble with all of them. Within the first 18 months, we had to have the computer parts on the dryer replaced twice and the compressor on the fridge replaced once. We did have the extended warranties on those, and it was definitely worth it -- computer parts are expensive! (The dryer is a Kenmore, and it's worked fine ever since. The fridge is an Amana bottom-freezer model, and the track for the freezer drawer has not held up.) We've been through two dishwashers in this house, but part of that is our very hard water. Our washer (Maytag, a highly rated model) is not quite three years old, and it works fine, but the timer goes funky every so often (so it agitates while it's filling); eventually, we may need to replace/fix it. We've had to replace a stove burner (but it also gets used 2-3 times a day, every single day, so that may be normal; it lasted 5 years).

One of the repair guys told me that they don't make things like they used to, because people want something new every few years and would rather replace than repair. So yeah, for expensive electronic parts, I think the 3-year warranties are probably worth buying. Do check out a Sears Outlet store if you have one near you. (I got a super fancy GE Profile stove for 50% off the usual price because it had a couple of cosmetic dings.)

ETA: If I have to buy again in the near future, I'll probably look at Kenmores.

I think appliances are so spotty these days that it is hard to find a consensus.

Ex: While the PP said she loved her Kenmore products, we had two Kenmore lemons in a row.

Bought their top of the line dishwasher. Pump went out six months later, while still under warranty.

Thought that was a fluke, so bought a Kenmore fridge.

It was delivered in non-working condtion. (NOT a floor model, but a new, in the box fridge.)

Pump went out on dishwasher a year later.

I am done with Kenmore.

Love my Samsung fridge.

GE dishwasher to be delivered/installed later this week.

I research on gardenweb too. Kenmore doesn't manufacture anything. Sears contracts out with various manufacturers. Some Kenmore products are made by KitchenAid, LG, Whirlpool, etc. etc. etc. It changes year to year as well. The salespeople may be biased or they may just love different features. I don't think any appliances last very long these days, so unless something gets horrible reviews, I buy what I like based on the look and features.

I'm not sure why LG would be "the worst"... I've had no issues with my LG appliances (5-9 years on all of them) and plan to replace other brands with LG as they drop.

Kenmore is made by Whirlpool, which has plummeted in quality over the past few years. I wouldn't buy either of them (or Kitchenaid, that is now a Whirlpool brand as well). I can only speak to Frigidaire in the context of the stove that came with our house: 60s vintage, said "Product of General Motors" on it :lol: A friend of mine has the same one, and hers is still going strong, but I have no idea how their more current models (like this century) hold up.

Miele is the brand I never ask the salesman, 'Do you get many coming back in with problems?' With everything else I do ask that to gauge reliability!

We have only Miele dishwasher, washing machine, and vacuum. None have given us one ounce of a problem in the approx 6yrs we've had them.

I know many people who won't buy LG because it used to be Goldstar, which wasn't very reliable. Kenmore is made by various manufacturers, so you have to check to see how made a particular model.

When I was shopping for washers/dryers, the salesman told me to ask which model is the most reliable for a certain brand and then compare that model to other brands. There isn't one set brand for all appliances anymore.

One place to check would be the Consumer Reports ratings on the appliance(s) you want to buy.

Personally, I love Miele. We had our Miele dishwasher 15 years & it finally got to a point where the repair would be more than the replacement cost. Our new (Miele again) dishwasher will be installed later this week.

As w/ others, though, we have various appliances of different brands. Our washer (KitchenAid), dryer (Kenmore), & fridge (Amana) are still going strong in their 19th years.... Dh is a big believer in Consumer Report's ratings & we selected these based on their ratings.

the one sales person I spoke to said that Consumer Reports isn't always the best source of information...he said that his sources said that CR was testing a LG washer and the first 3 they removed from the box didn't work, but the 4th one did...and it did fine...so they rated it high, even though the first 3 didn't work at all. Now, I don't know how reliable that information is...but it is what he said.

I had an LG Tromm washer from 2005-2010 and hated it. More repair calls were made on it than anything we've ever owned. CS was horrible.

I love my Fisher Paykel washer/dryer and my Bosch dishwasher. We got our Bosch at Sears. My brother has our Samsung fridge it's 6 years old and never had any problems with it at all, he's still using my 15 year old Whirlpool washer, he had to replace the agitator fins because they actually just got worn down after so many years.

I have an LG fridge in my rental now and I hate it, part of that is because it is a side by side which I hate, but the other is the shoot that directs the ice in the door broke and they don't make a replacement so I had to epoxy the thing back together. The ice maker never shuts off because that bar that's supposed to shut it off doesn't actually do that, so I actually have to manually flip the switch to make sure it doesn't overflow all over in my freezer. If you put anything anywhere near the back of any shelf on the fridge side it gets frozen. It also has a digital panel on the front to set temps etc, that will randomly just fritz out, with no rhyme or reason. I shouldn't have to "Reboot" my fridge.

the one sales person I spoke to said that Consumer Reports isn't always the best source of information...he said that his sources said that CR was testing a LG washer and the first 3 they removed from the box didn't work, but the 4th one did...and it did fine...so they rated it high, even though the first 3 didn't work at all. Now, I don't know how reliable that information is...but it is what he said.

I'm honestly not that fond of Consumer Reports at all. They were the Bible when I was growing up.

But then I started knowing something about products independently -- and in both car seats and electronics (the two places I know stuff) -- well their ratings don't make sense. Which makes me really doubt ratings in other areas as well.

I do research on various ratings and review sites. I go to the library and read up on consumer reports. I just ordered a dishwasher. I don't know that there is one "great" brand but am will look at individual appliances.

I have only ever bought an extended warranty once - and I actually used it. otherwise, it's a waste of money and it was the only time we ever needed to collect.

whirlpool makes kenmore, maytag and kitchenaid. so, even the brand name can be misleading.

I remembered Bill saying how great miele was for dishwasher so I looked. my stoneware dishes wouldn't fit as it has a very unique way of holding plates in place. ces't la vie.

eta: I can agree with some of the questions on CR. they loved bosch. all the user owned reviews bashed them. so, definitely some discontinuity.

Frigidaire is great if you don't mind replacing the fridge door bins every 3 months. :glare:

I used to never buy the extended warranty but we've had so much trouble with all our recent purchases, we've started to purchase the ex. warranty on many items.

they had that happend with an electric car they were testing on the track. they had to send it back - never happened before so they rated it as unacceptable.

I don't think any appliances last very long these days, so unless something gets horrible reviews, I buy what I like based on the look and features.

:iagree: It seems the day when certain brands were made to last is gone. Most appliances are built with planned obsolescence now. Just look for decent reviews and hope it lasts 5 years. (Even so, my Kenmore washer and dryer are 13 years old and still working.)

So far we have ad the best luck with whirlpool. I've found that the more expensive brands (Bosch, Wolf, Viking) are actually kinda cruddy in comparison.

We have a Whirlpool front loading washer, dryer, dishwasher, and fridge/freezer and all are doing great. We've had them between 2 and 6 years with no issues.

We have good luck with Bosch, (ours are their mid-level line), and Samsung.

Our Frigidaire is 5 years old and mechanically doing fine, but we have had multiple cracks and breaks in the freezer bins and shelves.

While it really irritates me that things are not made with more lasting power and I believe companies should stand behind their work without asking me mot pay extra money, I would buy the extended warranty for anything with a lot of computer components or that represented a large sum of money to our family.

I'm honestly not that fond of Consumer Reports at all. They were the Bible when I was growing up.

But then I started knowing something about products independently -- and in both car seats and electronics (the two places I know stuff) -- well their ratings don't make sense. Which makes me really doubt ratings in other areas as well.

When dh and his sibs were trying to decide between a Nook and a Kindle for MIL for Mother's Day, one BIL based his choice on CR. However, when you looked at the ratings, they weren't based on sound information. Some of the things they listed as a plus for Nook were also Kindle standards, but they didn't count it as a plus for Kindle. Same with negatives - what was negative for Kindle was also an issue with Nook but they didn't count it against the Nook. It seems some CR reviewers have their minds made up and just make the reviews match their bias.

I agree that CR was once THE place to go for buying information. I no longer trust them (not just because of the Nook/KIndle issue; that was just one example).

When we redid our daily kitchen a few years ago, we had a La Cornue range and a double wall oven installed. They are a wonderful provence blue that makes me smile walking into the kitchen. Sometimes how it looks it just as important as how it works, at least to me!

We hid the refrigerator with matching cabinetry, but otherwise I love the look of stainless.

For washer and dryer we have the good old standby Whirlpool Duets. They are quiet and seem to clean wonderfully.

Have fun shopping!

My dh is German and insisted we buy all Miele products when we built our house because Miele is supposed to be "the best". We've had our appliances for about six years now and so far we've had problems with the dishwasher, fridge, washer, and the dryer (twice).

My dryer, in fact, is currently working, and it took a week for Miele to send out a repair person. The guy who came out was the same guy who repaired my dishwasher six months ago and he greeted me with, "Hi, it's me again!". I think the fact that the repair guy remembers me is *not* the best advertisement for the company.

Of course they never have the parts on hand, they have to order them from Germany, so most likely it will be at least another week without a dryer. Did I mention I live in the Pacific Northwest where it always rains? And for what the repairs cost I could probably buy a new machine at Sears and not be upset in a few years when it needs to be replaced.

Aesthetically the Miele stuff is beautiful but I'm really disappointed in our experience of the quality, especially for the prices Miele charges. Dh is of the opinion that the stuff they make in Germany for the German market is better but that the quality for the American market is poorer because they have to change the dimensions (Americans want much bigger appliances).

I called a bunch of appliance repairs places yesterday and each place had a little bit differnet answer, but I heard from several that said stay away from LG...and stick with the name brands...Whirlpool, Frigidare, Kenmore, etc...but beyond that, there really wasn't a consisitant answer as to which brand, which applliance, which features are best or worst. They all said don't buy the cheapest and don't bother with the high end ones...stick in the middle. They all said don't bother with the warranty....they ussually only cover the parts that never break.

So, I guess I am going to just find some appliances that look nice, I can afford, that have the feautures that I like and hope for the best.

I got a top of the line lg washer and dryer and love them. Just had them six months tho. My mom has Samsung washer and she hates it. I have a Samsun g DVD player and we hate it. I refuse to buy Samsung. Had a whirlpool washer that only lasted five years. Dryer lasted only two before it had to be fixed. I stay away from whirlpool. Have a may tag dishwasher that has worked perfectly for 13 years.

I don't remember what my fridge is....

I do a lot of research before buying anything (CU, Amazon, google etc). The place I trust the most is WTM -- I seriously doubt that long time posters are making paid endorsements, lol. I make sure to use the search function and check as many threads as possible.

I also want to check with any source I have (plumbers, appliance repair people) to find what parts/brands they carry on the truck, as costs can go way up when repairs take multiple visits.