Menu

Do your kitchen appliances match??

ProudGrandma

Since I am getting a new kitchen and since I am planning on buying a new dishwasher and stove/oven...I am now wondering if I should also look at getting a new fridge and have them all match....and if I were to do that, what kind of fronts should I get? The wood will be a lighter colored maple wood, my floor looks like a stone floor (although it is linolium) and the color is browns with a little gray. What would look good???

here is my floor: http://www.menards.com/main/flooring/vinyl-flooring/sheet-vinyl/tarkett-media-12ft-wide-sheet-vinyl/flooring/vinyl-flooring/sheet-vinyl/tarkett-media-12ft-wide-sheet-vinyl/flooring/vinyl-flooring/sheet-vinyl/tarkett-media-12ft-wide-sheet-vinyl/p-1442467.htm

I have the same color, but not the same brands.

If I were putting in a new kitchen, I'd want all the major appliances to match. I'd probably go with black in your kitchen. I know that people complain about keeping black appliances clean, but I've heard complaints about keeping stainless unspotted, so I guess you pick your battles, lol.

i've had to replace every appliance, one at a time, and they are all black. but they totally clash with the kitchen, which has a backsplash of beige tile hand-painted with blue and brown floral . . . . also all different brands. if it will really bother you, go ahead, but how old are the other ones? nothing lasts forever ...

All of the appliances could be replaced...the dishwasher HAS to be...I now have a portable and will be getting a built in, the stove is over 15 years old and the fridge isn't that old, but we would really like to have one in our basement...when we buy raw milk, we buy in such bulk and extra fridge would be so nice...and so we are thinking we would put our exisiting one in the basement and get a new one to match the other new applliacnces and kitchen.

I am assuming my basic choices would be black, white and stainless, right? Or is there another option I am not thinking of??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :leaving: :smilielol5: :rofl: :willy_nilly:

actually, right now we are in the process of replacing the appliances once by one, and have gone for the brushed steel and black. it looks much more "polished" somehow. after a few years, we just have the fridge left to go..... as soon as it gives up the ghost everything will match.... for the first time ever. it was dh's idea, and he's quite pleased with himself.

hth,

ann

Perhaps the same logic used for paint, wallpaper, and upholstery could apply to kitchen appliances. If your kitchen is a small, cramped room, black (even steel) appliances will make the room appear smaller. White appliances will fool the eye into thinking the space is larger.

I would find a room stocked with all-black major appliances grim and off-putting. Another person, with equal justice, could consider the visual effect formal and elegant.

Therefore, choose that which appeals to you, personally, and never mind us! :001_smile:

Some of mine are black and some are stainless steel, and my kitchen is custom-designed. Most people do aim for consistency if they have a choice, though. I just don't want a stainless fridge. My ceramic cooktop is black, too.

Mine are all white. I bought a house with harvest gold bathrooms. I made them white too. I consider stainless our generation's version of avacado and I'm too chicken to buy any. It's probably a pointless worry since nothing lasts 10 years anymore, much less twenty. Still, I equate white with clean and silver with a laboratory.

I DO like the fridges with the wood that matches the cabinets, but that doesn't help with your stove and dishwasher.

I have the same color, but not the same brands.

If I were putting in a new kitchen, I'd want all the major appliances to match. I'd probably go with black in your kitchen. I know that people complain about keeping black appliances clean, but I've heard complaints about keeping stainless unspotted, so I guess you pick your battles, lol.

Same here. I don't have a dishwasher, but my fridge and stove are both white, but different brands. I HATE having white appliances. When we get new ones, I want black as well.

Our range and microwave are both stainless/black, and the refrigerator and dishwasher are black. I like the mix of stainless and black, although it wasn't initially intentional. I'm very eclectic in decorating, and like to really mix things up. So, I also have almost rustic cabinetry, sleek appliances, a more rustic countertop along the perimeter cabinetry, but black granite on the island, modern(ish) lighting, and an antique farmhouse table. It probably sounds horrible, but it actually looks nice.

Non-matching appliances make me a little twitchy. Right now ours are all ivory, moved from my SILs house to ours when dh remodeled part of her kitchen. They're a light ivory, not my first choice, but goes well with our bungalow.

Visually I like them all to match. The stove could be a centerpiece and a different color and still be aesthetically pleasing. I think there is a line between eclectic vs. one appliance just looking dated. Eclectic can work, dated doesn't.

If finances were not the first consideration, I'd try to update them all at the same time.

Ours all match and I bought them all at once due to house fire. I picked stainless steel and here's why... one of the sales people said he doesn't think it's going out of style any time soon because it's a classical/ streamlined look. Also, it gives a "professional" feel to a kitchen so that's great for re-sale. Lastly, you can get a stainless look w/o the $ or fingerprints. Our fridge is painted but looks stainless.

Mine do now, but we replaced the appliances from white to stainless over several years time after we moved in as they broke or died. I thought it would drive me nuts, but it was not a big deal at all. I wouldn't put a perfectly good working appliance in a land fill anyway. If I had a use for it somewhere else, or could donate, or sell it, maybe.

Mine don't, it would be nice if they did but it's not a super high priority right now. My older ones are white and my newer ones are black, so at some point I will end up with all black. I'm thinking white might look good in your kitchen from what you describe. I'm not a huge fan of stainless, unless you get the kind that doesn't show fingerprints.

I don't think having all the same brand is essential, unless you were planning to replace your fridge very soon and/or are worried that the style of fridge won't be available when the old one dies, KWIM? I'm slowly transitioning all of my appliances to black. Matching everything is my longterm goal, flatware, pots and pans, measuring utensils, etc in matching sets. :laugh: Dare to dream, right?

I have all white appliances.

I'm the opposite of most PPs. I love my white appliances. They are far, far easier to clean. I clean houses. I have 6 houses right now. 3 with white appliances, 2 with black, 1 with all stainless. I can't stand the black. Really. I loathe them and dread them. They never come clean. I'm constantly fussing over them, going back time and again because I want it to be perfect. It stinks. Stainless is a bother, but I use Pledge on them and they turn out pretty.

White is easy. Scrubs up fine. Doesn't show finger prints like black and stainless.

I always tell dh that the longer I'm cleaning houses, the pickier I'm getting in my own house. I want sleek faucets for example, with no grooves, nooks, etc. Easier to clean. I have them picked out for the day ours break. I'm picky about shower doors (never!!), toilet seats, and flooring, too. Poor, poor dh.

I have all white appliances.

I'm the opposite of most PPs. I love my white appliances. They are far, far easier to clean. I clean houses. I have 6 houses right now. 3 with white appliances, 2 with black, 1 with all stainless. I can't stand the black. Really. I loathe them and dread them. They never come clean. I'm constantly fussing over them, going back time and again because I want it to be perfect. It stinks. Stainless is a bother, but I use Pledge on them and they turn out pretty.

White is easy. Scrubs up fine. Doesn't show finger prints like black and stainless.

I always tell dh that the longer I'm cleaning houses, the pickier I'm getting in my own house. I want sleek faucets for example, with no grooves, nooks, etc. Easier to clean. I have them picked out for the day ours break. I'm picky about shower doors (never!!), toilet seats, and flooring, too. Poor, poor dh.

oh, tell me more about what things you would like in your home becasue they would be/are easier to clean. I am making a list....I HATE cleaning...I do it, but I hate it...and if you can help me by telling me what is "out there" to buy that would make that job eaiser, I am ALL ears....including cleaners. But what type of stove top is the easiest to clean and care for (gas)...

thanks.

Minimally, I'd want them all the same color.

Mine are white, but given the chance to choose all new...I'd likely go with SS, as I'd like to sell this house one day and move some place warmer. My understanding is that SS is something buyers love and look for when home shopping.

oh, tell me more about what things you would like in your home becasue they would be/are easier to clean. I am making a list....I HATE cleaning...I do it, but I hate it...and if you can help me by telling me what is "out there" to buy that would make that job eaiser, I am ALL ears....including cleaners. But what type of stove top is the easiest to clean and care for (gas)...

thanks.

Here's my list of things I will switch out or have already for easy of cleaning in my own home:

Mini blinds- Those came down within minutes of purchasing the homes. We have curtains. I wash them every 3 months.

They also sell blinds now that have 2 inch slats. Those are easier to clean. Once I get them dusted really well, I can maintain with a feather-type duster.

Padded toilet seats- I know people love these things. Yuck. They never come clean. Ever. And while we're on toilets, some toilets have sleeker sides under the tanks which means less grooves for dust and um, yuck, to collect.

Glass/plastic shower doors- The gunk never comes out of the corners. Ok. Muiric (sp?) works, but I don't feel like chemical burns. I use shower curtains. Again, wash every 3 months or less. These don't get as dusty because of the humidity.

Faucets- The modern style faucets are sleek with no grooves or knobs. This means no hard water deposits and easier cleaning. I have a fancy victorian set in my second bath. Ugh. I can never get that thing clean.

Carpets- No. Just no. They stain and get gross. After pulling them up ourselves out of this house, I will never have carpet in a home again. We have one room left (ours) and that's going this year. I have combo of bamboo, laminate, tile and vinyl. I love it all. I used to use a Hoover Floormate on all surfaces. I've since switched to a steamer for the bamboo. It turns out so pretty!

Okay. Gas stoves. Again. Black will show everything. White is more forgiving. The stainless one that I clean has a black top. Mike Rowe has a Dirty Jobs product that is very good at cutting grease. The grills that cover the burners can go in the dishwasher. Do this. Often. I think the key is to not let the stove top get bad. I have one stove that I can never get as clean as I like because it came to me in bad shape and I have never been able to get it back to its former glory. I also use Comet (or Bar Keeper's Friend) and Magic Erasers (sometimes together) for tough spots. Foaming glass cleaner on the front does better than Windex.

For anything stainless, Pledge is amazing. My stainless steel sink is sparkly. For porcelain bath tubs that have lots of hard water stains or soap scum, toilet bowl cleaner. It's caustic. Be careful. And don't let it touch anything metal as it will corrode and turn it to a copper color. But, it disolves grossness in under 2 minutes. I wear gloves and rinse the rag thoroughly before I throw it in my rags to be washed. Do not combine with anything that has ammonia in it (Windex) because you'll make hydrochloric gas. Fun science project, but bad for one's health ;)

Chemicals work way better than natural cleaners. Simple Green is good but too expensive for me to use for work. I tried using vinegar and baking soda. My houses weren't happy with the outcome. I use Windex, foaming glass cleaner (costco), comet, The Works tb cleaner, Pledge, Dirty Jobs, magic erasers (walmart has a generic). Name brand works better than generic. Some floors I use Pinesol on. People like the way it smells. :)

Enjoy your new appliances! I hope I helped a bit. :)

Here's my list of things I will switch out or have already for easy of cleaning in my own home:

Mini blinds- Those came down within minutes of purchasing the homes. We have curtains. I wash them every 3 months.

They also sell blinds now that have 2 inch slats. Those are easier to clean. Once I get them dusted really well, I can maintain with a feather-type duster.

Padded toilet seats- I know people love these things. Yuck. They never come clean. Ever. And while we're on toilets, some toilets have sleeker sides under the tanks which means less grooves for dust and um, yuck, to collect.

Glass/plastic shower doors- The gunk never comes out of the corners. Ok. Muiric (sp?) works, but I don't feel like chemical burns. I use shower curtains. Again, wash every 3 months or less. These don't get as dusty because of the humidity.

Faucets- The modern style faucets are sleek with no grooves or knobs. This means no hard water deposits and easier cleaning. I have a fancy victorian set in my second bath. Ugh. I can never get that thing clean.

Carpets- No. Just no. They stain and get gross. After pulling them up ourselves out of this house, I will never have carpet in a home again. We have one room left (ours) and that's going this year. I have combo of bamboo, laminate, tile and vinyl. I love it all. I used to use a Hoover Floormate on all surfaces. I've since switched to a steamer for the bamboo. It turns out so pretty!

Okay. Gas stoves. Again. Black will show everything. White is more forgiving. The stainless one that I clean has a black top. Mike Rowe has a Dirty Jobs product that is very good at cutting grease. The grills that cover the burners can go in the dishwasher. Do this. Often. I think the key is to not let the stove top get bad. I have one stove that I can never get as clean as I like because it came to me in bad shape and I have never been able to get it back to its former glory. I also use Comet (or Bar Keeper's Friend) and Magic Erasers (sometimes together) for tough spots. Foaming glass cleaner on the front does better than Windex.

For anything stainless, Pledge is amazing. My stainless steel sink is sparkly. For porcelain bath tubs that have lots of hard water stains or soap scum, toilet bowl cleaner. It's caustic. Be careful. And don't let it touch anything metal as it will corrode and turn it to a copper color. But, it disolves grossness in under 2 minutes. I wear gloves and rinse the rag thoroughly before I throw it in my rags to be washed. Do not combine with anything that has ammonia in it (Windex) because you'll make hydrochloric gas. Fun science project, but bad for one's health ;)

Chemicals work way better than natural cleaners. Simple Green is good but too expensive for me to use for work. I tried using vinegar and baking soda. My houses weren't happy with the outcome. I use Windex, foaming glass cleaner (costco), comet, The Works tb cleaner, Pledge, Dirty Jobs, magic erasers (walmart has a generic). Name brand works better than generic. Some floors I use Pinesol on. People like the way it smells. :)

loved reading this! You are a wealth of knowledge- thanks for taking the time to post this!

thanks for taking the time to post this for me....I really appreciate it!!!

Mine all match in the color, not the brand.

Stainless is the current trend, but seriously, buy what you like.

I have heard there is a new color of white that is quickly becoming the current trend. I might check into that color with the floor color you linked here.

Desert Rat, I really enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for writing all that out!

We have all white in our "new" home. I am more for practical than pretty I guess and white is easier to clean and cheaper too. Our old home had some stainless and it was nice looking when clean but a pain. I replaced with white as things died off.