Menu

How do you pronounce pink?

283 members have voted

1. 1. Pink?

• short i
    • long e
    • Other, because some of y'all just can't commit ;-)

I've been saying peeeenk and pin-k all day long. So here's how I really say it: pink is a long e with an ever-so-fleeting short i sound before the k. It's kind of like the vowel sound does a quick drop into the k. However, both pronunciations (my way and the weird way :D ) are almost identical.

Are any of you pin-k folks willing to record yourself and post a link here? You could even do it on forvo and link to it here. Please! I'm dying to dissect your accent! :)

I have absolutely no idea why all this is so fascinating to me, but it is. Thanks for playing. :)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said other - it is not quite a long "e" sound as in peek, nor is it quite a short "i" sound as in pin. To me, pin and pink sound slightly different. I've lived all my life in suburban IL.

Now that I've spent a good five minutes muttering "pink, pin...peeeeennnk, pihn...pihnk...peenk...." I think I say it something like that. It's not

quite a short I, not quite a long e sound. Don't know exactly what kind of an accent I have, if any. Grew up in Maryland, spent about 12 years in Cincinnati, Ohio, 1.5 in Arizona, and now about 7.5 in Minnesota.

Absolutely this happens, and plays a significant role in young children's ability to pick up a native-sounding accent in a foreign language where many adults cannot. Our brains actually lose the ability to hear and differentiate between speech sounds that they are not exposed to.

I think that the success of British actors playing Americans in movies comes down to this - the opposite happens less often. Most Brits are exposed to a variety of American accents early and frequently (from Disney onwards) so there is more phonetic awareness.

Laura

short i. Although to many of you it might sound like I'm saying short u :-) We eat Fush and Chups here in the antipodes.

I was wondering about that but it sounds like a short I to me. Of course if I was in austrailia I might say peenk to go with the feesh and cheeps.

I've been saying peeeenk and pin-k all day long. So here's how I really say it: pink is a long e with an ever-so-fleeting short i sound before the k. It's kind of like the vowel sound does a quick drop into the k. However, both pronunciations (my way and the weird way :D ) are almost identical.

Are any of you pin-k folks willing to record yourself and post a link here? You could even do it on forvo and link to it here. Please! I'm dying to dissect your accent! :)

I have absolutely no idea why all this is so fascinating to me, but it is. Thanks for playing. :)

You actually did it!! :smilielol5: You have an absolutely adorable voice, but yes, you are saying the word wrong! LOL

I listened to your recording and it sounds like you are saying peek like in peek-a-boo not pink at all. Totally saying it wrong lol

I think that the success of British actors playing Americans in movies comes down to this - the opposite happens less often. Most Brits are exposed to a variety of American accents early and frequently (from Disney onwards) so there is more phonetic awareness.

Oh, you don't think our sense of world supremacy causes us to filter out other people's ways of talking as merely wrong? Hmm. Anyway I hear people all the time who talk differently than I do. The regional accent where I live is not how I talk or how I grew up. My kids comment on accents all the time, and regularly imitate others' accents. My kids are also bilingual, though. I wonder about people who grow up culturally multi-dialect.

Oh, you don't think our sense of world supremacy causes us to filter out other people's ways of talking as merely wrong? Hmm. Anyway I hear people all the time who talk differently than I do. The regional accent where I live is not how I talk or how I grew up. My kids comment on accents all the time, and regularly imitate others' accents. My kids are also bilingual, though. I wonder about people who grow up culturally multi-dialect.

I wonder about the early years though. Most of us hear many accents as adults, but the pp was talking about how our childhood ability to distinguish sounds is lost early if we don't hear lots of accents/languages at that point, never to return in adulthood. I remember trying to get a Chinese student to hear the difference between 'smile' and 'smell'. He just couldn't hear it because the combination of sounds was too foreign to him.

I think bilingualism is a big help: certainly my two boys, who learned a foreign language early and were surrounded by different accents from birth, have a pretty good ear.

Laura

I wonder about the early years though. Most of us hear many accents as adults, but the pp was talking about how our childhood ability to distinguish sounds is lost early if we don't hear lots of accents/languages at that point, never to return in adulthood. I remember trying to get a Chinese student to hear the difference between 'smile' and 'smell'. He just couldn't hear it because the combination of sounds was too foreign to him.

I think bilingualism is a big help: certainly my two boys, who learned a foreign language early and were surrounded by different accents from birth, have a pretty good ear.

I play this game (or variations) with my husband periodically, to my own great amusement. However, he has his revenge: there are such similar words in his language that I cannot tell any sort of difference between, or if I can, I certainly cannot pronounce.

But seriously I was thinking....does think really sound like thin+k, the way you say it?

I listened to this

http://dictionary.re...browse/pink?s=t and http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/think?s=t

and it sounds like how I talk.

Here's an article the discusses the development of selective speech sound discrimination in monolingual and bilingual babies. I suspect that what happens with words is different-but-related. Obviously native English speakers are capable of hearing both the short i and long e sounds, but when we hear familiar words we really don't process the individual sounds--rather, we process the word as a single unit, and so in most cases we will not discriminate between different pronunciations but will simply hear the word the way it is encoded in our brains; at least, that is what we do when the person we are listening to speaks with an accent that is fairly similar to our own. If the accent is significantly different, I would guess that we engage more analytical parts of our brain to help out. I know when I am listening to someone with what I perceive as a strong accent I have to work harder to understand what they are saying. I had this experience recently during a phone conversation with a man from Scotland--I could make out what he was saying, but the mental effort required was significantly higher than that required in a conversation with someone whose accent is more familiar.

never heard of pink with a short i. Or blink or any of the other words mentioned. From Louisiana but I"ve traveled all over the US and have never heard that before.

pink, blink, wink, sink, ink, rink, ring, bling, bing, all the same.

In fact our phonics (K12) teaches "ink" as a single sound, not separate as a short i would be, at least that is how I'm seeing it. "ink" 'ank", and "unk" are taught all together.

using short i would seem very awkward to me. But saying the word "ask" is awkward to me too. We say "axe' :)

Okay. I dug out my old Fonetica y Fonologia book. Yes, it is in Spanish. Yes, it's been awhile. Lucky for me it has pictures. ;) When you say the "i" in pink, where is your tongue positioned?

Tongue position is the same for both (high, resting against my top teeth). The difference is in the inside of my mouth. Long e is wider, short i my jaw drops down a tiny bit.

When you say the "i" in pink, where is your tongue positioned?

Same place as the i in pig. When I say "pink pig" my tongue is in the same place for both vowels. Whereas for "Peter Pig" my tongue is in a different place. I can say "peenk pig" with my tongue in same place as the long e in Peter, but it sounds totally weird to me.

pink---- peenk

pin----pee-uhn (the same way I pronounce "pen" btw ;) )

pig----pihg

ink---eenk

Born and raised in NC

( I say PEE-khan for "pecan," too :D )

You had to go there, didn't you? :D

1. Pecan is p'KAHN (and now I want to break my sugar fast and binge on p'KAHN pie. sigh.)

2. While we're at it, almond is ALLmund (3rd sound of a), not short a AHmund.

:)

I listened to sounds on dictionary.com, and I call the sound a long ee, not a short i. The way the speaker pronounces it is just how I do. I have neither a brogue nor a drawl. I suspect we are all saying it the same.

I would have agreed with you, but

Same place as the i in pig. When I say "pink pig" my tongue is in the same place for both vowels. Whereas for "Peter Pig" my tongue is in a different place. I can say "peenk pig" with my tongue in same place as the long e in Peter, but it sounds totally weird to me.

because of this, I would say it is our ears hearing what they expect to hear. All the recordings sound clearly like long e to me, too. When I say pink, my tongue is in a neutral position - long e sound. Short i and long e are both anterior, both have neutral lip positions. The difference is that for short i the tongue is going to be raised. It appears that some people are saying the short i sound. Weird as that is. ;)

Disclaimer: Anyone who has had more than one class on this (in a foreign language more than 12 years ago) feel free to correct me.

I would have agreed with you, but

because of this, I would say it is our ears hearing what they expect to hear. All the recordings sound clearly like long e to me, too. When I say pink, my tongue is in a neutral position - long e sound. Short i and long e are both anterior, both have neutral lip positions. The difference is that for short i the tongue is going to be raised. It appears that some people are saying the short i sound. Weird as that is. ;)

Disclaimer: Anyone who has had more than one class on this (in a foreign language more than 12 years ago) feel free to correct me.

ETA: I'm using terms from my book and they aren't quite right because the Spanish and English vowels are not pronounced the same way. Think of the tongue position as a matter of degrees. Don't try to go by my description. Try out different words together like pink pig and pink Pete.

I think (not thinnnnnnk) people don't really pronounce those words the way they claim to.

:confused1:

When I say "pink" (or think or stink or wink or link or ink.....) normally, my mouth is in the same position and produces the same sound as when I say "pig." It's definitely short i.

I think it's more likely that we hear the words the way we are coded to hear them. I remember my cousins saying "steenk" for "stink" and "beg" for "bag," which drove me crazy. But they couldn't hear the difference. Aside from my cousins (and my uncle) I've never noticed anyone saying "steenk/peenk" but looking at the number of people on this forum who use the long e sound, I'll bet I've heard a fair number of people saying it that way without my noticing.

Once a group of Chinese students was trying to teach me to say ""dragon" in Chinese. They were laughing at me because I literally could not hear one of the sounds I was supposed to be making. They were using the sounds, I just couldn't hear it until they draaaaggged it out, and even then I only kind of got it and still couldn't say it properly.

Cat

Now that's the way I pronounce "pink". I wonder how many people think they are hearing a short i, long ee or something in between?

This is how I say it and how I've always heard it—without exception. I really am curious whether others hear that same video differently than I do.

I say it closer to p /EE/ /ng/ k

There's audio of 'pink' on this page and on this.

I can hear the short /i/ in both of these.

Like this. (Click on the audio.)

This is clearly the /ee/ version.

In the Electric Company video, the dude seems to say the /i/ for all his sections but when they combine, some of them sound /ee/-ish. (Not all of them.)

I'm a middle-of-the-continental-US person. (My mother 'w /or/ shes' (washes) her clothes. She also believes the President lives in W /or/ shington D.C.)

The /ng/ sound messes up a lot of words and we have to 'think to spell' them.

My tongue is just touching my bottom teeth when I say the /i/ in pink. Same place for pig. Flat along the bottom of my mouth. (My oldest dd thinks I'm wasting way too much time listening to different people say 'pink' on the internet.)

I listened to all the others and I listened to you. You sound like you are saying long e, but I hear short i in all the others. Do you hear yourself as the same as all the others? This is really fascinating.

:confused1:

When I say "pink" (or think or stink or wink or link or ink.....) normally, my mouth is in the same position and produces the same sound as when I say "pig." It's definitely short i.

I think it's more likely that we hear the words the way we are coded to hear them. I remember my cousins saying "steenk" for "stink" and "beg" for "bag," which drove me crazy. But they couldn't hear the difference. Aside from my cousins (and my uncle) I've never noticed anyone saying "steenk/peenk" but looking at the number of people on this forum who use the long e sound, I'll bet I've heard a fair number of people saying it that way without my noticing.

Once a group of Chinese students was trying to teach me to say ""dragon" in Chinese. They were laughing at me because I literally could not hear one of the sounds I was supposed to be making. They were using the sounds, I just couldn't hear it until they draaaaggged it out, and even then I only kind of got it and still couldn't say it properly.

Cat

That reminds me of a chinese student I had in afterschool care. He and his buddy thought I was the funniest grown up around because I could not pronounce the words they were trying to teach me. I was trying to say Ma to mean mother, and apparently was saying Ma to mean horse. I could not alter the inflection properly. In a language like mandarin where 1 word has 5 different meanings based on accent/inflection that is a problem. Nothing like calling your mother a horse to get you in trouble :p