Menu

natural ways to improve asthma?

wapiti

Ds10 has significant and chronic asthma (excercise-induced asthma plus two episodes of pneumonia in the last year). Symbicort has worked wonders - no more daily albuterol - but seems to make him a little bit crazy (ok I'm totally at the end of my rope :tongue_smilie: ). I want him off his medication but at this point that's not possible. I'm trying to downshift back to flovent...

I have an appointment with a nutritionist scheduled and that will probably involve avoiding dairy and wheat, his two main food groups (super picky :glare:) , plus a switch to a more natural/organic/paleo-style diet.

I recently heard about "applied kinesiology." I'm willing to gamble away a small amount of money on attempting to identify foods that might contribute to his asthma. (He sees a doc at a world-reknowned asthma hospital, and is officially allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and some seeds, but not allergic to any other usual food suspects, such as dairy or wheat, according to multiple skin tests). For anyone who has actually experienced applied kinesiology, did it help? Not help? Is it merely "alternative" or actually in the "quackery" category?

Does anyone have any other recommendations? Books? Supplements? Thank you!

(please don't quote - I may delete later)

Magnesium lotions and bath salts might help. We use Dr. sHEALy's (lol) bath salts and lotion. You would not want to use this if you have a kidney problem unless you were under a doctor's supervision.

Also, try some relaxation exercises or focus meditation for 10" a day. You can find guided videos on YouTube. Use one that your child likes. My son uses one led by Dan Goleman which was included in his book Building Emotional Intelligence. He has a very soothing, comforting voice.

DS started to use Qvar and it made him bounce off the walls. The pulmonologist said he has never seen that before. 0.o Anyways, he recommended using it with a spacer so the larger particles do not get into DS's mouth/throat. Also, the prescribing dr, our pediatrician, said it had to be taken every 12 hours to be effective and DS simply could not sleep while taking it 2 times a day. The pulmonologist said mornings only was fine. At the moment DS is using singulair, which does work, but scares the beejezubs out of me.

For us, our location has impacted DH's asthma tremendously. When we lived near San Diego, he used rescue inhaler 10-20 times per year and was on no other meds. Here, in the midwest, he has to use it daily. :(

We have tried some herbal remedies from the health food store, but nothing has been affective.

Just checking back on this thread, hoping for more ideas. Have you tried all the usual suspects? Limiting stuffed animals; carpeting; washing bedding, pillows, curtains weekly in hot water; air filters? We did all the above but still struggle. [sigh] I do see improvement with the hefty air filters - they were pricey but worth it.

DS takes QVar, and is always bouncing - now I wonder if that is connected? Hmmm. Food for thought. He also takes Advair and Nasonex. I would dearly love to get him weaned off some of these meds. (Singulair was an utter nightmare, so we tried that one too.)

I have asthma..exercise induced and bronchial. I also have tons of nasal allergies.(Allergic Rhinitis) To dust mites, to plain ol' dust. Room freshners. Perfumes. etc etc..

Although I haven't needed an inhaler in over 7 years(knock on wood), as soon as I catch a cold, I'm careful to not let it turn into a cough. It spirals out of control from there.

The things that helped me?

1- Aerobic exercise and Yoga (specifically Pranayama)

2- Limiting cold food...ice creams, milk shakes, cold coffee, ice tea, raw salalds...

3-Getting off of Dairy

4-Magnesium Citrate (they also make a liquid version for kids)

5- Steam/ vaporiser..loosens the phlegm.

HTH.

If allergies are a part of it, "allergen control" is a biggie-meaning, keep the allergens low by avoiding carpet, furniture that is dusty or can easily become dusty. Bedding that is dust-free is very importnat, given how much time kids are in bed. Consider an air purifier with a hepa filter for his room.

Read up on the benefits of turmeric. My pulmonologists even recommends it.

I've had good success with adults with asthma using turmeric and ginger (which is more specific to leukotrienes), and following an anti-inflammatory diet. I've never tried it with a child, though.

I can't speak to applied kinesiology or its applications to asthma, but I can tell you that using kinesiology tape (on our own, with youtube videos from the manufacturere) did wonders for my tennis elbow :thumbup1:

As an aside, I'm noticing a rash of posters asking "please don't quote; I may delete." I'm curious - why would a post asking questions about asthma be sensitive??

Thanks everyone for your ideas! If anyone has more ideas, please post!!

As an aside, I'm noticing a rash of posters asking "please don't quote; I may delete." I'm curious - why would a post asking questions about asthma be sensitive??

Eh, it's probably not that identifying; it's just that I've posted much more personal info in other posts that one day I'll wish I had deleted, and usually I forget to come back to delete, and then it's too late. My kids have discovered my username here and are often curious about what I'm up to and whether I'm saying anything about them - this is the critical issue. Plus, I fear that sooner or later someone IRL will figure me out because this site is so google-able. I toy with the idea of changing my username, but it wouldn't take the kids long to figure that out. I'm like an addict - I need to quit cold-turkey.

For my allergy kid controlling allergens is key.

My other child doesn't seem to have an allergy component. I read about pyconogenol and started that. Here is one study that was double blind, placebo controlled. I saw a pediatric study too but a quick google didn't find it. Anyway, it definitely helped. He went from moderate if not severe (we hadn't yet seen pulmonology) with needing steroidal control to mild. But he still needs the albuterol nebulizer (heavy-every 3 hours) the first 24 hours he gets a virus. I hesitate to say it could replace a heavy duty med but it's safe to try.

For us, our location has impacted DH's asthma tremendously. When we lived near San Diego, he used rescue inhaler 10-20 times per year and was on no other meds. Here, in the midwest, he has to use it daily. :(

I agree. My dh was completely off his inhaler for 2 years while we lived in IA. Back here in MN, he uses it daily. Unfortunately, this is incredibly hard to control.

For my allergy kid controlling allergens is key.

My other child doesn't seem to have an allergy component. I read about pyconogenol and started that. Here is one study that was double blind, placebo controlled. I saw a pediatric study too but a quick google didn't find it. Anyway, it definitely helped. He went from moderate if not severe (we hadn't yet seen pulmonology) with needing steroidal control to mild. But he still needs the albuterol nebulizer (heavy-every 3 hours) the first 24 hours he gets a virus. I hesitate to say it could replace a heavy duty med but it's safe to try.

I would like to try this with my ds. WebMD states that it may be effective for poor circulation and childhood asthma. My ds has both. Do you have a favorite brand? Have you noticed any side effects?

For us, allergy control: ripping up all carpeting, getting a dehumidifier, washing all bedding on hot, banning everything from the bedroom that couldn't be cleaned

tumeric, oral magnesium (500-750mg a day), and avoiding dairy

coming in and changing all clothing and showering after being outside during certain times of year

I agree. My dh was completely off his inhaler for 2 years while we lived in IA. Back here in MN, he uses it daily. Unfortunately, this is incredibly hard to control.

I would like to try this with my ds. WebMD states that it may be effective for poor circulation and childhood asthma. My ds has both. Do you have a favorite brand? Have you noticed any side effects?

He's doing Source Naturals brand. I just picked it as I could split the pill to dose for his weight easily. I haven't seen any side effects outside of reduction in the asthma and some mild help with ADHD too. I ran it by our doctor who said it should be perfectly safe. The major downside is cost and I wish it had given us full control. Maybe with Tumeric..I hadn't heard of that until this thread.

ok, I have a couple dumb questions. Suppose a person is avoiding dairy for purposes of improving asthma, even though the person has always (>3x) tested negative for milk allergy. Would that involve avoiding butter? Likewise, would avoiding wheat for asthma allow (potentially cross contaminated) oats or would the goal be more along the lines of gluten-free?

I have read that you should try using no spray chemicals and see if that helps, there was a correlation between amount of spray cleaners used and asthma attacks.

A long term help may also be taking up a wind instrument. I have allergies but no asthma. My mom has asthma. I played the trumpet for 10+ years and when they tested me for lung function, they said my results were some of the best they had ever seen. While any wind instrument should build up the lungs, I would think that the trumpet would be especially helpful.

One has to be careful with Turmeric, too much can cause diarrhoea. If you are using turmeric, no more than 1/2 tsp of raw turmeric powder+ raw honey a day is 'the' remedy for cold/cough..

An excellent suggestion by a PP is learning to play a wind instrument. Any activity that will strengthen the lungs. Blowing balloons, skipping, jumping on a trampoline, jumping jacks...you get the picture.

I avoid Dairy including butter. (We use Ghee, being Indian). Dairy encourages mucus, you need not be necessarily allergic to milk. Try cutting out dairy for a week and substitute Ghee for butter.

While learning a wind instrument and activities like swimming can really help with lung function, it won't control or help the flares that are just caused by twitchy lungs.

Just be careful about dropping daily medication. Asthma flares can and will scar/change the physiology the lungs themselves.

One has to be careful with Turmeric, too much can cause diarrhoea. If you are using turmeric, no more than 1/2 tsp of raw turmeric powder+ raw honey a day is 'the' remedy for cold/cough..

An excellent suggestion by a PP is learning to play a wind instrument. Any activity that will strengthen the lungs. Blowing balloons, skipping, jumping on a trampoline, jumping jacks...you get the picture.

I avoid Dairy including butter. (We use Ghee, being Indian). Dairy encourages mucus, you need not be necessarily allergic to milk. Try cutting out dairy for a week and substitute Ghee for butter.

another dumb question - is turmeric spicy? Must it be taken in capsule form (for a picky eater)?

Thanks for the ghee tip. Our local natural grocery sells some.

another dumb question - is turmeric spicy? Must it be taken in capsule form (for a picky eater)?

Thanks for the ghee tip. Our local natural grocery sells some.

Hmmm..Turmeric has an astringent kind of flavour. Not spicy like ginger. I make a paste with 1/2 tsp turmeric + local honey and just lick it off the spoon. It's quite palatable. My DD has no issues with the taste either.

Local raw honey (unpasteurized) is highly recommended for any respiratory/ lung chronic problems.

Both honey and Turmeric can cause 'heat' in the body. So, start with 1/8 tsp of turmeric and build it up to 1/4 tsp very slowly. Keep an eye out for diarrhoea. If you see any signs of such heat related issues, discontinue for a week or so until the body adjusts and resets itself, then start again.

Let me know how it goes.

While learning a wind instrument and activities like swimming can really help with lung function, it won't control or help the flares that are just caused by twitchy lungs.

Just be careful about dropping daily medication. Asthma flares can and will scar/change the physiology the lungs themselves.

I agree. All the suggestions listed are lifestyle changes and usually show positive effects only in the long term. They will cut down on the need for daily medication over a long period of time. Think 10 years. Hence, I am Inhaler/daily medication free as an adult. So, there's that.

For us, allergy control: ripping up all carpeting, getting a dehumidifier, washing all bedding on hot, banning everything from the bedroom that couldn't be cleaned

tumeric, oral magnesium (500-750mg a day), and avoiding dairy

coming in and changing all clothing and showering after being outside during certain times of year

Isn't that odd. We were just at the doctor's yesterday getting refills for my dd's asthma meds. The doctor went on and on how we needed to get a room humidifier during the winter months. How this would make a difference (in addition to all the other stuff we're doing).

edited to add: doctor also strongly recommended local honey. I've had a couple of friend who have had great success with seasonal allergies using local honey.

Sorry I hit the post button accidentally!

... So no milk for drinking or on cereal and only occasional ice cream, but in baking, like pancakes, etc is fine. We don't worry much about avoiding cheese and butter. For substitutes, we have almond milk, sorbet, and almond dream ice cream. It's important for us to be really strict with this during colds. It's not that milk would show up in traditional allergy testing, it increases phlegm production.

No carpets, especially in bedrooms, limited stuffies, clean bedding- sheets dried on high heat in dryer. Dust mite covers on pillows, no animals in the bedroom, damp basements are not good so at the very least have a dehumidifier.

We use a product from the health food store for my dd (9) called Respiractin, I find it helps limit the amount of drugs she needs for colds. She takes Flovent and Ventolin, although she only takes her Flovent usually during flares- colds, allergies, etc.

Exercise helps! She needs to take her ventolin before vigorous exercise- such as swimming. The pool chemicals are harsh but outdoor pools are better we find and I've found it strengthens her lungs and resistance. We don't have a pool but she's taken swimming lessons at an outdoor pool each summer for several years, for weeks at a time, and we definitely notice a difference.

If you can get the inflammation under control, you won't have to deal with the symptom, which is asthma.

We ripped up rugs, the whole 9 yards, and were able to get off 5 meds. Granted, when the kids were suffering? Those meds were a godsend. But I didn't want them living like that forever.

The only time my kids get it now is exercise induced when they've been in the pool --between the motion and the chemicals. We are looking at switching to a salt water pool.

I love turmeric (1/2 tsp) in a cup of Constant Comment tea--the spices blend so well together.

And though he doesn't test as reactive to wheat and dairy, many people don't. But, what have you got to lose, taking them out of his diet, you know? I know it's a pain, I'm wheat and dairy free, but if I can control a thing by simply not eating something--isn't that a good thing?

Butterbur is supposed to help. Tried it with my ds, but then we got sidetracked and dont know if it was effective!

Also, in the next couple of weeks I am going to take ds to a Chinese doctor who does herbs and acupuncture. I know someone who has tried one and has tremendous success.

We are keeping track of what my son eats and his asthma episodes to see if we can find a correlation. Going to go dairy free in about 10 days first and see if that helps..then we will do no wheat in about a month..

Thanks all! If anyone has more ideas, keep them coming - I'm all ears!!!

If you can get the inflammation under control, you won't have to deal with the symptom, which is asthma.

We ripped up rugs, the whole 9 yards, and were able to get off 5 meds. Granted, when the kids were suffering? Those meds were a godsend. But I didn't want them living like that forever.

The only time my kids get it now is exercise induced when they've been in the pool --between the motion and the chemicals. We are looking at switching to a salt water pool.

I love turmeric (1/2 tsp) in a cup of Constant Comment tea--the spices blend so well together.

And though he doesn't test as reactive to wheat and dairy, many people don't. But, what have you got to lose, taking them out of his diet, you know? I know it's a pain, I'm wheat and dairy free, but if I can control a thing by simply not eating something--isn't that a good thing?

Thanks for the tea tip - I might be able to get him to drink that, or ebunny's honey mixture.

I literally need the nutritionist (I feel like an idiot that I can't figure this out for myself) to help him go dairy-free - he packs a lunch for school that consists of chocolate milk and crackers. Dairy is his main source of protein on many days. The wheat will be easier because I can bake, he's previously eaten rice pasta, etc. (I need to find a substitute for crackers but that's easier than finding a protein/fat substitute for milk and pizza cheese.) What I don't know is whether the nutritionist will also recommend GF, which is more complicated, I think.

Mold is a problem for him but fortunately we live in a very dry climate now. We don't even have leaves in the neighborhood (wet leaves are a problem). We have hardwood floors where he spends the daytime, though like the other things he tested negative for dust-related things. He still has carpet in his bedroom; I've been thinking of switching to hardwood if/when we add some bedrooms later this year - this will be a significant price add-on... Maybe we'll finally get the duct-work cleaned. (Our house was new construction when we bought it 7 yrs ago)

Isn't that odd. We were just at the doctor's yesterday getting refills for my dd's asthma meds. The doctor went on and on how we needed to get a room humidifier during the winter months. How this would make a difference (in addition to all the other stuff we're doing).

edited to add: doctor also strongly recommended local honey. I've had a couple of friend who have had great success with seasonal allergies using local honey.

Huh. Our allergist has banned us from ever owning a humidifier. (Ds has a ++++ mold allergy.) He says you can't ever get a humidifer completely clean. If we needed to add humidity, we are to boil an open pot of water.

Physio for breathing and exercise. The trumpet might do the same as physio.

However I have been an asthmatic without medication, an asthmatic with older medications and an asthmatic with the new medications.

I would take life using a new combo type inhaler over feeling like **** half the time with no medication any time.

Drugs are not always to be avoided. Ask someone with type 1 diabetes.