Menu

where does one buy a quilt?

Parrothead

Company store comes to mind. So does overstock.com. Try overstock first.

I bought this one to fold in a strip at the end of my bed for nap time :) I didn't really need shams, but the price was so good for the whole set, I bought it anyway. Turns out the shams were a beautiful addition. It looks like a model home bed or something. The quilt is very soft to the touch and cuddly without feeling too heavy or light. I love it.

Thanks.

Overstocks just sells sets.

Company store sells just quilts but the ratings for only quilts are pretty low.

I checked Walmart locally and well. they are carp as always. Nothing there.

Bed, Bath and Beyond is out of my price range.

Pottery Barn too.

I'll look at the others.

ETA: Esty is way artsy and quite expensive.

I might be SOL for a quilt. Maybe it is time I learn to make one.

I bought some at target about 10 years ago and they were great quality.

I have bought some at county fairs.

Amish country?

But my best purchases were at Goodwill.

Lara

Hmmm... I wonder if there are any at the Amish store. I don't remember seeing any but I've not been looking for them. Thanks. I'll look there Saturday.

I'll check target onlline too. Thanks.

I was going to buy a quilt in Amish country when I was there a few years ago, and they were very expensive. Beautiful, but hundreds of dollars. This was in Lancaster County, PA.

That's what I'm afraid of. But it might be worth learning how to do if one can sell them for that much money.

I was going to buy a quilt in Amish country when I was there a few years ago, and they were very expensive. Beautiful, but hundreds of dollars. This was in Lancaster County, PA.

I'm a quilter and easily spend $200-$300 just on materials for a quilt. Then spend many hours piecing and quilting it. For a utility quilt, buying a Chinese made one from target or Kohl's would probably be more what the OP is looking for. Even the Amish quilts made around here start at $450. But pretty well made utility quilts at Kohl's can be had for under $100.

I bought a quilt at Macy's just before Christmas. I also bought a blanket that was lightly filled. It was light like a quilt, but a solid color. It was billed as some sort of down alternative blanket. I'd go that route for something that won't be seen. My kids live those blankets. They're warm without much weight. The will have to be removed when spring comes because they'd be TOO warm for nicer weather.

My cousin makes/sells quilts. Price probably would be high, I'm guessing. I thought from your original post that you are looking for "bottom-of-the-line" items.

P.S. Kohls

Not so much bottom of the line, just something that can stand up to everyday use and be acceptable to put between a sheet and comforter. I'd feel weird hiding a work of textile art.

Not so much bottom of the line, just something that can stand up to everyday use and be acceptable to put between a sheet and comforter. I'd feel weird hiding a work of textile art.

If you don't need it to look pretty, and you would not mind yarn ties, it is very easy to make a utility/blanket quilt using a few large pieces of fabric for each side, and batting in the middle. To make a warm one, I would put flannel (quilting quality) on one side, or even both sides if you want, and use Warm&Natural batting, not preshrunk, so the quilt will relax the first time it is washed. Yarn tying makes the project pretty simple. The most complicated part would be binding the edges. You might be able to get a local quilt shop to give you a quick lesson in binding, or there are a lot of online tutorials on how to bind. If you are up for learning to quilt, a big-piece yarn-tied quilt that isn't going to show is a great first project. (Assuming you have a machine. You would need a machine. But an expensive machine is not necessary for quilting ! I would recommend one that can do a zig-zag stitch and has a walking foot, but it does not need to be fancy. There are quilters who do almost everything on inexpensive travel-size machines and do just fine. )

If you don't need it to look pretty, and you would not mind yarn ties, it is very easy to make a utility/blanket quilt using a few large pieces of fabric for each side, and batting in the middle. To make a warm one, I would put flannel (quilting quality) on one side, or even both sides if you want, and use Warm&Natural batting, not preshrunk, so the quilt will relax the first time it is washed. Yarn tying makes the project pretty simple. The most complicated part would be binding the edges. You might be able to get a local quilt shop to give you a quick lesson in binding, or there are a lot of online tutorials on how to bind. If you are up for learning to quilt, a big-piece yarn-tied quilt that isn't going to show is a great first project.

I know what a yarn tied quilt is. That would be great. I'll look up how tos.

I just remembered this:

http://www.fargohope...elief Quilt.pdf

These instructions can help you get started with a very simple, but warm and useful quilt.

To do a foldover binding like they describe, I would at least fold the extra fabric for binding over itself and press it down before bringing it over the edge of the quilt and pinning it, so there would not be raw edges.

If one were to make a full size (double bed size) or a queen size quilt where does one get the backing material?

Like others said, some people use wide backing fabric made for the purpose. I often use regular width fabric and piece my backing. Still others use a flat sheet, especially if they're tying it instead of quilting it.

Online sources for wide backing- Hancock's of Paducah is one vendor that has a nice selection. It's expensive no matter where you buy it.

Just the quilt. No set or bedding ensemble. Not something that is used like a comforter, but like a blanket between a sheet and a comforter/bedspread.

ETA: And I'm not looking to buy a work of art that can't be used nightly on a bed.

I bought a very nice one at J.C. Penney three years ago. It was 50% off around this time of year.

Just occurred to me that perhaps you would fare well with what the stores are calling a "coverlet". They are like a very thin quilt (very little inner batting). I bought one from Kohls last year to use as a bedspread/extra blanket. (Don't need much for N. TX!) Target sells some, too. Probably other stores as well.

I want to add - my grandmother made quilts out of leftovers. She never put real batting inside. Some of them are starting to disintegrate now (they are like 50+ yrs old and very well loved, used, and washed many many times) and I can see what's inside. Old tablecloths, worn out blankets, bedspreads, old flannel sheets etc. I love the feeling of her quilts, and I'm going to start making some of mine with a couple of layers of cheap flannel inside instead of batting. It will probably cost more, but they will feel more like hers do. Heavier, floppier and not at all puffy.