Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Homeschooling a singleton

jillian

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a singleton who I am homeschooling.

I've read that 92% of homeschoolers are schooling more than 1. So only 8% of us are doing this. If I remember correctly that 8% doesn't include people who have younger kids who aren't old enough to be schooled, but does include people who are homeschooling one kid while their other kids are in school.

I've got a singleton who I am homeschooling.

I've read that 92% of homeschoolers are schooling more than 1. So only 8% of us are doing this. If I remember correctly that 8% doesn't include people who have younger kids who aren't old enough to be schooled, but does include people who are homeschooling one kid while their other kids are in school.

Wow - I had no clue that we were such a small group!

Homeschooling my only. Challenging because I know he does better in groups and he's so verbal it drives me nutty sometimes. But also easier in some ways because I only have one to customize materials for. I just wish I could clone myself so he'll always have someone to listen to his constant chatter.

Wow - I had no clue that we were such a small group!

WHERE I read this is a total mystery to me now....but it must be true because I just posted it on the internet, right :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: !!!???!!!

People have actually told me, "You CAN'T homeschool an only child." :confused1:

So, there is an extra stigma attached to singleton being homeschooled sometimes.

WHERE I read this is a total mystery to me now....but it must be true because I just posted it on the internet, right :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: !!!???!!!

People have actually told me, "You CAN'T homeschool an only child." :confused1:

So, there is an extra stigma attached to singleton being homeschooled sometimes.

In some circles, home schooling a singleton is akin to abuse because they have no playmates and no friends. :crying:

I am very chatty, but DD talks so much sometimes, it is WEARING. People think it's so easy to be home with one, and in some ways it is but it's also a very intense relationship. I can never tell my dd to go play in the yard with her sibling. My friend who homeschools 5 and I have discussed the differences endlessly. It's really just 6 of one, half a dozen of the other as far as pros and cons. We have actually decided that the amount of time and energy I have to put into dd's social life, is the amount of time and energy she has to put into extra laundry and breaking up fights with siblings. Because, with an only schooling is easier but the "social" aspect is not. It's a lot more work. I don't have to keep up with 3 math programs, but I do have to be very flexible when it comes to activities and playdates.

It annoys me when people can't think outside the box and assume that an only child is lonely, at home, locked in a closet. It's so weird. Obviously I get my child out of the house. Once a year, every other leap year anyway :laugh: .

Our only isn't an only anymore, she has a younger brother after 9 years and 6 years of trying. I don't know if it's easier or harder now that we have a two year old. There will only be three or four years over lap of their schooling. So would that be homeschooling to singles? LoL I would like to have one more, but I don't know if that will ever happen.

Art is hard though...do you have any advice for art?

My local community rec center does classes for ages 6 and up. We are going to do an artist study and informal art classes at home with an ArtPac. Once she's old enough I want her to take some other classes outside of the home for art. She's starting piano this week (we have a keyboard for her to practice here at home) and martial arts soon. Then we will be maybe signing her up for American Heritage School or rec gymnastics through our rec center.

eta: dd is very very verbal too and has been since she was 6 months. In a way I'm really happy I'm only schooling one, she's a challenge, she is advanced and really just keeps me on my toes.

I am afterschooling an only. I would love to full-time homeschool her, but she loves being around people, and my dh feels that she will get very lonely if she is learning at home by herself. And he may be right; sometimes weekends get very tiring, because she wants to talk and read and pretend-play with me all day.

I saw the word "singleton" and thought, "oh, it's a mother of multiples! I'm homeschooling triplets and a singleton!". :)

My son's ultrasound has "singleton" printed across the top.

Homeschooling my only. Challenging because I know he does better in groups and he's so verbal it drives me nutty sometimes. But also easier in some ways because I only have one to customize materials for. I just wish I could clone myself so he'll always have someone to listen to his constant chatter.

Same here.

DS 11 is an only - and will likely remain an only at this point in our lives.

I love being able to customize his education. But - oh! That endless chatter! :tongue_smilie:

I am glad to see a few another mamas of only 1s out there hs. It looks like we will only be blessed with 1. I am planning on hsing, but have been worried about the thought of how to handle things when it's just me and him on a daily basis. All the hsing mamas I have met locally are 2+ families.

Yep, DS is our one and only!!

It is a different vibe when you only have one, I'd think. It's probably a little different even than if you have multiple kids and only homeschool one, because in that situation, 3:00 or 4:00 hits, the others come home, and they have someone else to interact with and they dynamic probably shifts. I will say it's really intense togetherness... most days it's great but there are days we both need our space!!

DS is chatty but he's kind of a homebody, and really likes the flexibility of our schedule. We try to do outside groups and classes... art is one of those! I can do some art appreciation at home, but actual art projects? Nope, doesn't get done, so it's outsourced!!

It is a different vibe when you only have one....

Yes, it is so different that many threads here don't apply to our situation. I choose teacher-intensive programs without a second thought. I don't think twice about buying consumable books, either. I also don't plan and schedule our lessons much. I have a general idea about what we want to get done in a year and I know we'll find time for it somehow.

I will say it's really intense togetherness... most days it's great but there are days we both need our space!!

Me, more than her. Then I hand her off to her dad. :-)

DD is a constant barrage of noise and she's very active. I still impose "quiet time" on us, we both need it--dd has to be quiet and entertain herself for 2 hours and I can clean up, rest, or knit. I also like not having to think about "will this curriculum fit for the next kid" issues because dd is a quirky learner, she is average with handwriting, advanced in language/grammar, math, science, slightly ahead in reading so we are definitely spread across the grid.

Hi, Another one that is homeschooling an only. :hurray: I would like to have more but it was really hard to conceive this one. I am ALWAYS hoping for a miracle baby! I am still waiting after 9 yrs!

I love catering his schooling just for him, too. ANd I have the endless chatter boy but I try real hard to stay focus with his endless chatter because another 8 yrs and he is off to college :eek: We do quiet time, too. It helps to stay sane with him! :)

I'm always amazed at what she comes out with. She makes connections across several subjects and she's 5 lol. I don't know what the next 10 years holds but I'm a little apprehensive. I am adding subjects for her this upcoming year because otherwise we fly through our subjects.

I am homeschooling one...for now! There's a new baby on the way in April, but of course it will be several years before we need to worry about homeschool for the little one.

I think it's great to be homeschooling just one. I'm sure there are plenty of great things about homeschooling multiple children close in age together, but I like that we have had this one-on-one time. And because there will be six years between my son and his little brother, by the time new baby is ready for kindergarten my son will be pretty self-sufficient; not that he won't still need active teaching and involvement on my part, but we won't have to worry about trying to keep a six- or seven-year old on task and engaged with a toddler underfoot, you know?

What is hard, as others have pointed out, is having one home all day when they constantly crave interaction and conversation. I also work a full-time job from home, so while I make time for school and fun stuff, I also have to be tied to my computer for several hours a day. This can be hard for the kidlet.

I do get some flack from my mother about having just one. She's all for homeschooling, except she thinks my five-year old NEEDS "little friends" to play with--every day. Sure, it would be great if we, say, had a close neighbor with a kiddo that came over often, but I disagree that kids his age need a child of same/similar age to play with every. single. day. He gets plenty of socialization and play time, and he's still pretty young--of course he will find and nurture real friendships at some point, but at five? I don't think that's necessary. We meet up with other homeschoolers, he takes ice skating lessons, he plays with cousins, etc., etc. But he still wants to play with *us* (kind of a tangent, but one thing I love about homeschooling is it seems that many homeschool kids are comfortable outside of their immediate age/peer group; I've never met a homeschooled kid who wasn't equally comfortable talking to or playing with a 2-year old or a 60-year old. I think this is valuable). So, every time my child asks his grandmother to play with him (and yes, he can be a pest about it), she goes ballistic because he "needs real friends." :rolleyes: Now she's excited we're having another baby, but I have to hear her complain that we had them so far apart because, you know, they won't be good playmates. I highly doubt having kiddos close in age is a guarantee that they will be good playmates...

One thing I've found that helps is giving DD people to have intellectual conversations with, as well as playtime. So, I host a mythology class at my house, which gives kids interested in the same topic a chance to talk and share-but also simply to play together. I have her in a couple of online classes that have discussion boards and live chat components, and that seems to help.

I will say probably the best couple of months we've had was one summer when I was trying to get a book edited, so I sent her to gymnastics day camp each morning from 9:00-12:00. By the time she came home, she'd had the physical time and social time she craved (and they weren't trying to teach her anything but a back walkover, so there weren't level problems) and she was willing to keep herself busy (draw, read, etc) for awhile. I figure if I could just find some way to send her to summer camp all school year long, homeschooling would be a DREAM in the afternoon ;).

I have one at home too. Sd is now 20 and off on her own in college. Dd is 10 and in 4th grade. She does miss being around other kids sometimes but we are so busy some weeks that is not a big issue. We do a co-op once a week for 2 ten week sessions during the school year. She is also a member of an American Heritage Girls troop that meets every other week. She does swimming and soccer as well as trombone lessons at a friends house so I think she is getting enough time with kids. She does have a hs'ed friend just down the street but their schedules have a tendency to be a bit different from ours so they do not get to see each other as much as dd would like.

I must say one of the biggest benefits of having a singleton is being able to do do a ton of field trips during the year. I try to make it so we go on at least two a month.

As for art we did a class at our co-op last session and I was planning on doing it again this session but the teacher is not offering it this session and is possibly retiring to travel with her hubby. For the past few years we have done Artistic Pursuits 2 days a week (reading one day and project another). This year I switch to use Drawing Basics (AOP Lifepac) and that is going ok. I might switch back to Artistic Pursuits next year but I am not sure yet. I know there are some other folks that do homeschool art classes in the area but that would mean more driving and another day we are tied up so I am not sure yet.

We just started homeschooling this year, and I am finding it hard to fit everything in, even with just 1, because there just seems to be so much content to get through when they are as old as my DD is. She was/is somewhat behind in reading/writing/vocabulary so that is part of the issue I guess. We plan to work through the summer and hopefully be caught up by the start of 8th grade in the fall. I want school to be fun, but it just seems to be hard to get there when there is so much to cover.