Menu

which laundry detergent do you use??

ProudGrandma

Was using the homemade liquid for awhile, but in the end it just wasn't dealing with odors. My cheap go-to now is is Arm & Hammer—waiting until it goes on sale and getting enough for awhile. Last time I bought it though I got the "Skin-friendly Fresh Scent." Ugh. Hate the smell. Do I need to turn into a person who opens up the lids at the store and gives them a test sniff before buying?

Erica in OR

Do I need to turn into a person who opens up the lids at the store and gives them a test sniff before buying?

Erica in OR

Yep, I'm one of *those* people. I always check the scents of new brands/fragrances I'm trying: lotion, hand soap, laundry soap, deodorant, etc. etc. It doesn't always work out--I got some cucumber melon Softsoap that turned out smelling like men's deodorant even though that wasn't what it smelled like *to me* in the store. But I have avoided trying out a new scent that sounded good only to smell too sweet or just "off" to me.

I'm also one of those who smells the produce before buying it. The stuff you're supposed to sniff, like melon or mango, not everything. But I have received funny looks when I do so.

I use Seventh Generation 4x liquid (in the compostable bottle). My kids are disgusting, and my husband and I rack up sweaty workout clothes by the pile. Everything smells fine and is free of dirt coming out. Towels smell like... Well, towels. I used the 2x when I had people in cloth diapers - 4x is newer than that - and it worked equally well.

I like the germanium - vanilla scent, but it doesn't leave a scent on the laundry. We have a front-loader.

I was making my own during the summer, fall months. Now we are back to Tide or Gain, whichever is on sale. The only problem with the homemade was not getting sweat stains out of dh's work shirts. I was having to go back and treat with Tide, so it seemed pointless to keep using homemade at the time.

I searched the thread to see if this had been mentioned yet, and didn't see it. We use Dawn dishwashing detergent! I learned this from the mom of 17 kids who has tight budget and a blog. She said you just use a tablespoon per large load and I've been doing this for a couple of years now. Seems to work great.

EcosPlus with built-in coconut based fabric softener, organic lavender all natural formula, from Sam's. It's not always there. 252 He loads/126 standard loads for under $14. I've seen it at Walmart, smaller bottle. But I didn't compare prices because I have a year's worth here right now.

I buy Ecos at Sam's too. It works great for me and it's really, really cheap.

We use Arm and Hammer or All usually. I prefer tide but it tends to irritate my delicate bits. I also use oxiclean for heavier and more soiled loads such as jeans and cleaning towels.

We also use about half the recommended amount and our clothes seem cleaner when we use less.

I found some cleaner called LA's Totally Awesome that I use for really tough stains or anything with urine/throw up on it.

That cleaner is a dollar and will clean anything off anything. I usually clean with vinegar/baking soda or just hot soapy water, but it is my standby for really tough cleaning.

Can you tell me what the bottle looks like? I think that's from Dollar Tree? but they might have more than one cleaner with that name.

Usually Kirkland Free and Clear, but occasionally another free/clear type, usually liquid because it works better in our HE frontload washer. My 13 year old is allergic to most regular detergents, I miss having scented laundry, but we tried a bottle recently and had to re=wash all of her clothes and linens because she got such a rash.

My daughter seems to be super sensitive to detergents. The one we've found that works well and doesn't make her break out is Purex Natural Elements. She likes the Linen and Lillies scent. Not sure what it is about that one that works for us, but nothing smells funky after we use it.

I used to use Tide, but I tried Costco's Liquid in the Red bottle. It's a lot cheaper than Tide and it works as well or better. I've tried other brands, but this is the only one I'll use outside of Tide.

Costco's Tide generic...1T/load.

I'm really happy to hear this as I just bought it today to try out! Really, 1T/load?

We use Tide - liquid for the kids, pods for the adults. (I love the way pods smell and they clean my husband's smelly work clothes better than regular Tide. My kids aren't as smelly. Dirty, yes, but a rinse and wash takes care of dirt.). We even use Tide to wash our cloth diapers.

But now I'm bummed once again that Oklahoma does not have Costco. Off-brand Tide?! AWESOME! Sam's Club just can't compete...

I have read this too, but haven't tried it. I have a front load washer and was afraid it would suds too much AND not come completely soap free.

Dawn

I searched the thread to see if this had been mentioned yet, and didn't see it. We use Dawn dishwashing detergent! I learned this from the mom of 17 kids who has tight budget and a blog. She said you just use a tablespoon per large load and I've been doing this for a couple of years now. Seems to work great.

I do this when I'm out of detergent. It also works the other way around, but dishes are a bit slippery when washed in laundry soap. So be careful If you ever try it.

I love Tide. Bought on sale or at Costco, I don't think it's expensive - I have to use much less than the suggested amount to get our clothes clean. So each bottle lasts a while. If I need detergent and Gain is on Costco coupon that month, I'll buy that instead. Also good results.

I tried homemade years ago, and it didn't take long for our clothes to look dingy. Similarly bad results with lower-priced powders - purex, surf.

I just posted this long tirade about detergent on another thread, but thought I'd offer it here in case it's helpful.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/452136-non-food-grocery-stuff/#entry4660081

It shows how I just ordered 1100 loads of what I consider to be Tide-equivalent (farming/running/vet/4dogs/4cats/mud riddled home) detergent for $67 delivered.

:) HTH someone.