Menu

Ice Cream Trucks

Bang!Zoom!

I miss the ones that jingle. Here they blare midi type tunes at a volume too loud for the speakers. Loathe them, absolutely loathe them.

The ice cream trucks around here are insane. They drive down the street at 10 pm with their stupid ridiculous jingle.

If I had a rocket launcher...

Ice cream trucks seem incredibly sinister to me after watching Dr Who.

I find them sinister because I once saw a tv show about "would your kids do this?" Kids were set up to have the opportunity to display really poor decision making, such as accepting an invitation to "tour the inside of an ice cream truck" while the parents, who were in in it, watched secretly. It was truly horrifying to see how many kids who had been instructed over and over about staying safe were still willing to go into a truck with an affable stranger.

We didn't have them as kids, so I first knew them in city house-sharing days, where we soon decided that loud slowed "Greensleeves" always meant creepy looking men trying to attract kiddies.

My kids learned that they only play the music when they've run out of icecream ;)

They soon learned it's a joke but they also know mum thinks icecream men and ballooon clowns are creepy-scary. Humour mum.

We looooove our ice cream truck lady. ;) After telling her the kids heard her one Saturday and ran and missed her, she now stops AT OUR HOUSE on her route. The kids are allowed ice cream if they've done their school and chores all week without complaint. Best $3 I spend all week. ;)

How much does your ice cream cost? Here $3 would be for 1 kid!

We have one here in the neighborhood, but kids know not to ask. Some friends ran one and we lived nearby, so we would buy from them occasionally. But most are too dirty around here.

We moved to Okinawa from Las Vegas when I was 4. One morning I jumped out of bed to the sound of the "ice cream truck" at 5:30 am. Imagine my disappointment when I learned that Okinawan TRASH TRUCKS play music! My mother was disappointed too for a different reason--it took me a few weeks to remember that it wasn't ice cream!

The ice cream trucks in the largish town near me aren't creepy or dirty. All the ones I've seen are driven by Hispanic men and feature a lot of tasty Mexican fruit pops as well as the big name brand items. They all have a decent selection of $1 items.

I did laugh at the music the last truck I saw was playing--Christmas carols in September!