Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Bible Believing Conservative Christians

caroljenn

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to enjoy coming here. . . sure feels like I don't have to have my guard up when I'm with my sisters in Christ!

We have been studying Ephesians during our Sunday morning services and Romans during our Sunday evening services. Both are so foundational and comforting.

My dh and I could use some prayer. We have been sick with a cold, cough, congestion for about two weeks now and have missed services.

Blessings to you all!

Amen to that!!!

Hi ladies! I am on the computer late tonight, I had to work this morning, and then my dd went for her first driving lesson! Eeek!

I am feeling so blessed that God has provided this thread for us all to fellowship! It's so nice, like Evergreen said, to not have to watch what we say and have our guards up. So many times, I feel like a stranger in this land. Like a martian, sometimes!

Hope you feel better soon, Evergreen. =)

Here's my verse for the day..."So if the Son sets you free, you shall be free indeed." John 8:36. Boy, that's the truth! I feel so much more free now that I am a Christian and not bound by the shackles of this world.

Hope you all have a wonderful evening - see you tomorrow, sisters in Christ!

Amen to that!!!

Hi ladies! I am on the computer late tonight, I had to work this morning, and then my dd went for her first driving lesson! Eeek!

I am feeling so blessed that God has provided this thread for us all to fellowship! It's so nice, like Evergreen said, to not have to watch what we say and have our guards up. So many times, I feel like a stranger in this land. Like a martian, sometimes!

Hope you feel better soon, Evergreen. =)

Here's my verse for the day..."So if the Son sets you free, you shall be free indeed." John 8:36. Boy, that's the truth! I feel so much more free now that I am a Christian and not bound by the shackles of this world.

Hope you all have a wonderful evening - see you tomorrow, sisters in Christ!

Hey CJ, That's interesting you mentioned driving for your dd. I was speaking with a neighbor yesterday. He's our back door neighbor and we crossed paths on our dog walks, but we have watched each other's kids grow up. He has 2 boys and our 1 dd who turns 14 in a few months. We talked driving lessons, permits, licenses, etc. Our dd won't be ready to drive like most kids, b/c she's a bit shy. I also want to make sure she's fully prepared for when she does drive. We'll allow her to take her driver's ed classes and have a permit. Her permit will just last much longer before she gets a license. She already knows this. We're hopeful that she'll be able to be weaned from her meds one day and not be at risk of having seizures. I'm not sure why I typed this, but maybe it will help someone. God is so good!

Yes, it would be nice. If anyone is in this neck of the woods, please PM me and I'll get together with you.
Jean, we were actually in your neck of the woods 2 years ago and may be going back to Mammoth Cave in the future. Will keep that in mind.
If any of you ever get to Vegas, let me know! I would love to meet you!
OK! I actually spoke with a neighbor a few days ago - he's retired and he mentioned he and his wife went to Vegas not too long ago. Please consider this an invite as well to visit my area - NC! If you find yourself coming this way, pm me as well.

We used to go to church with Don's son - boy, does he have some stories! I met Don years ago. He has some fascinating stories, too. His writing is great because it is based on first hand experience. Very topical. Peace Child is very difficult to read, but it is an extraordinary story. Eternity in Their Hearts is also fascinating.

Quiver mentioned Tozer. Love him, and to recommend a specific title, try Knowledge of the Holy. That book is deeeeeeeeep. Prepare to rewind over a paragraph time and again.

I don't disagree with you ladies, but I prefer the term bondservant.

Other books... I liked Tim Keller's Prodigal God. I think that should be required reading for everyone identifying as a Christian. I just downloaded God of the Mundane by Matt Redmond onto kindle and will let you know what I think after I've read it. Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Life Together is on the nightstand and Eric Metaxas's bio of Bonhoeffer is on my to-get list. Now if I only had a long stretch of uninterrupted reading time!

Thanks Seasider for the book recommendations. I'm enjoying reading some meaningful books alongside the Bible. It really encourages me to delve deeper into the scriptures.

I used to prefer bondservant too, until finding the original meaning which is slave, and all the passages quoting bondservant or bondslave all have the same original word, so it changed it completely for me, and brought a whole different meaning and feeling behind the word. One of the main things that truely hit me, was the fact that Jesus owns me. I gave my life to Him, so now I am His. I can not serve two masters. Although at times I still struggle with serving the computer issue.

I completely identify with the lack of uninterrupted reading time. In the meantime, I'm going to make the most of my short reading times.

Molly, Yes, He owns us. I believe this too. How sweet of you to invite us to NZ. You know nothing is impossible for Him!!! Talk to you all later. Blessings for a good night. Molly, what day/time is it for you? My dd's little friend 2 houses down moved with her Mom to Port Vila in Vauatu. That's north of you by how much ocean. :)

Sheryl, you made me chuckle. It's almost 4pm and I need to get my house organised after our school day so that we can host home group in a lesser state of chaos than it currently is. Vanuatu is just over two bits of latitude from us on my globe. What distance, I have no idea.

Hi all! I would love to join and visit this group from time to time. I am a Christ-following homeschooling mom in Canada. I have mostly been a lurker here in the WTM, but would love to have this particular corner of the site to frequent. Thanks for starting it! :seeya:

Welcome Mrs. Darinski! :seeya:

Wouldn't it be great if we could all meet? Love that idea.

Can we imagine we are all sitting and having coffee? Sounds lovely. :001_smile:

Anyone else looking forward to conventions? We will hopefully be going to the OCEAN Network convention in Portland Oregon.

I used to prefer bondservant too, until finding the original meaning which is slave, and all the passages quoting bondservant or bondslave all have the same original word, so it changed it completely for me, and brought a whole different meaning and feeling behind the word.

I always thought that slave was someone who was forced against their will, whereas a bond servant was someone who was given the choice and chose to serve his/her master.

Is that incorrect?

I wonder if one day we will make it to the US and do the rounds of all you ladies. Mind you, if any of you are ever in New Zealand, you would be most welcome to stop and stay.

I'd love to be visiting you right now and I could be ready to go by the end of the day! Unfortunately, my bank account doesn't want to support my "needs" in this area.

Hi all! I would love to join and visit this group from time to time. I am a Christ-following homeschooling mom in Canada. I have mostly been a lurker here in the WTM, but would love to have this particular corner of the site to frequent. Thanks for starting it! :seeya:

We go to Canada each year, but in the summer... I grew up next to the St Lawrence River. That area of Ontario was as much my stomping grounds as NY was. We've visited a bit of eastern Canada (all except Newfoundland/Labrador) but have yet to venture west of Ontario. We would have seen some on one of our Western US trips, except my nephew was with us and didn't have a passport...

My Bible study right now is in Proverbs. I tend to not add extra books - just me and my Study Bible. I'll also "confess" to being Arminian vs Calvinist even though my oldest son goes to a Calvinist Christian college. Our church is Calvinist as well. It's easier for us to attend a church that believes in salvation by grace rather than works (which I do believe), but I'm definitely in the free will camp otherwise.

Hi! I sometimes say hi in the Reformed thread as well. I was just looking for a good Christian Apologetics blog/website if anyone knows of one.

I'm big on Apologetics as well. Try http://www.str.org Stand To Reason with Gregory Koukl. It's a fantastic apologetics site. They have free podcasts every week which you can access through ITunes. They are my favorite. You can also listen to Dr. William Lane Craig from Reasonable Faith: http://www.reasonablefaith.org and Ravi Zacharias at: http://www.rzim.org/

I hope this helps.

Hi all,

It's so nice to have found this group! I've been on a frustrating journey in my spiritual life in the last couple years. I started reading all those threads on the old WTM site about Calvinism vs. Armenianism, then the ones about Reformed and Eastern Orthodox. I have more questions now than when I started. The description of this group does fit me, so at least there's that.

I've got an interesting mix of beliefs and things I wonder about. I really just want to know His truth, His message how He intended us to have it. I could best be described as Charismatic Baptist, if there were such a thing, lol. I do have a lot of questions that I hope to post eventually. I've attended a non-denominational church for a long time now, and became frustrated with what I perceived as a lack of specific teaching a couple years ago, but I don't know that there's a perfect solution. I guess I started having a "crisis of church", not so much a crisis of faith. We even tried a very different church for some time, but then we thought it best not to continue there.

There are some fundamental things I was taught as a child, backed with Scripture, that have recently been called into question - get this - with Scripture. I look forward to being able to discuss these things in a loving environment like this where we all share a common goal, with sisters in Christ. What a wonderful idea you had to start this group, OP! (Inspired, I might add!)

Today I just need some prayers, ladies,

Today is my mom's birthday. She died of cancer 16 years ago. My dad's been gone for 13 and my sister died last March. All of my grandparents are gone.

I have a wonderful dh and two dc and a really happy little family. I am really very blessed, but it is days like today that I yearn for my family. I miss them a lot, even though I know I will see them again. What a wonderul day that will be!

Any prayers to help me today would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty down. =(

Oh, oh, where in Canada. We used to live in MI and would cross over into Canada at Port Huron, MI. This was 25 years ago - before passports required. Dh, DD and I went to Stratford, ON 2 years ago. Lovely little place.

I always thought that slave was someone who was forced against their will, whereas a bond servant was someone who was given the choice and chose to serve his/her master.

Is that incorrect?

I see exactly where you are coming from, but consider this. We, all of mankind (believers and unbel) do not have any "rights". We are in "full submission" to Him.

Any prayers to help me today would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty down. =(

Heavenly Father, I lift up CarolJenn to you this day as she is hurting today over the loss of her family. I pray that you wrap your loving arms around her in a special way and comfort her with the love and peace that you can give. Amen.

There are some fundamental things I was taught as a child, backed with Scripture, that have recently been called into question - get this - with Scripture. I look forward to being able to discuss these things in a loving environment like this where we all share a common goal, with sisters in Christ.
I think it is good to search the scriptures for answers. I look forward to hearing your questions and how we all can look to the scriptures and the Holy Spirit for interpretation. May we gain insight through each other.

I started reading all those threads on the old WTM site ... about Reformed and Eastern Orthodox. I have more questions now than when I started.

Hey, if there are any questions I could try and answer for you, please feel free to PM me. There's also a closed/private FB group if you'd more comfortable asking questions there rather than via PM (with several non-Orthodox from here asking questions). No pressure at all -- that's not how we roll. We know the eastern half of Christianity seems foreign to our western selves.

And CarolJenn, I'm sorry about your situation today. It's hard to be sad.

---

Back to your regularly scheduled protestant thread!

Well, everyone else seems to have their own social group, so why not us?

Happy Fellowshiping!

Curious about your boundaries for this group, since you defined it as different than the other religious social groups. Is this group for Protestants only (as opposed to Bible-believing Orthodox or Bible believing Catholic )? Is it for Bible -believing but not Reformed Protestants (since there is also a Reformed thread)? I learned on this board that most people understand "conservative Christian" to mean politically conservative as well as theologically conservative. Which do you mean?

CarolJenn, I will be praying for you today.

I always thought that slave was someone who was forced against their will, whereas a bond servant was someone who was given the choice and chose to serve his/her master. Is that incorrect?
I see exactly where you are coming from, but consider this. We, all of mankind (believers and unbel) do not have any "rights". We are in "full submission" to Him.

I agree with Sheryl, but Mom-2-7, I wouldn't say you are incorrect, just a different view. I personally have realised that yes I have been given free will, and I made the choice to accept Christ in my life, but he calls me to be his slave which for me means that I need to serve him only and I don't have the choice to follow another. In one way, I am choosing to be his slave, but in another I have to not look in places other than those which will help me do this. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but there is a lot more to it that I completely agreed with when reading the scriptures associated with this.

If anyone does want to look into it a little, check out www.gty.org and search slaves. I got a great list of stuff, more than I've actually listened too, but has given me more to follow up on. I'm not sure what denomination John MacArthur is, but friends and I have found his sermons biblically sound. After listening to many, I haven't found anything that has made me shudder as I have done so with other preachers.

I'm looking forward to listening to some of Ravi Zacharias, although I'm not that big on apologetics, but am always keen to learn new stuff, and I love that so many of you listen to him.

We had homegroup last night and we are going through James, and we were talking about the tongue, and how the only way to tame our tongue is through the change from God in our hearts. I am praying God will help me to be aware of what I am saying and to use my tongue to lift people up. I find myself too easily coming down on my family, and I feel God is really bringing this to me right now to work on.

My question I've been meaning to ask is if I'm the only one who still really like the old hymns? (I like new hymns and praise songs too - just not to the exclusion of the new.) One of my favorites is "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less"

I adore hymns Jean, although it is a recent change. It is now about the words rather than the music. I find 'How Great Thou Art' brings tingles whenever I sing it.

My question I've been meaning to ask is if I'm the only one who still really like the old hymns? (I like new hymns and praise songs too - just not to the exclusion of the new.) One of my favorites is "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less"

I like some of them. Many of them, really. I like some of everything - new, old, etc.

There are a few people in my church who like the new to the exclusion of the old. Our worship leader pulled out 'I Exalt Thee' and a couple of them (band members no less) started making fun of it. I was quite annoyed, to say the least. :) We also have some who complain about singing 'Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing' and stuff. We don't sing hymns or old songs at our church very often, but when we do they are beautiful. :)

On the other hand, I have extended family members who like the old to the exclusion of the new. They say all the 'new stuff' is 'new age', etc.

I like a balance. I think there are some new songs that I can't stand, but there are plenty of good ones, too!

Jean, I lovelovelove the old hymns! And, like you, not to the exclusion of the new.

CarolJenn--prayers for you!

Howdy!

I'm participating in the 52 Weeks 52 Books Challenge this year and my New Year's Resolution is to read what are popularly considered 20th Century Classics. I would like to add Christian authors too. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis is the next on my list. What are some deep, serious, meaty books similar to that that I should add to my list? Any authors to zero in on?

Thanks!

Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster is one of the most life changing books I've read as a Christian. Highly recommend it!

I wanted to say :seeya: since this religious group is probably the closest to my beliefs that I will find on the boards.

I am also a PW so I feel your pain, loneliness and frustration Jean. :grouphug:

As for what I am studying right now, I've got two things going on, a study of Hosea and a study of the lives of Elijah and Elisha.

It's always encouraging to me to see women who love the Lord and studying His word. :hurray:

My question I've been meaning to ask is if I'm the only one who still really likes the old hymns? (I like new hymns and praise songs too - just not to the exclusion of the old.) One of my favorites is "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less"

Our church almost exclusively sings the old hymns. During our Morning Meeting I teach my children the old hymns one verse at a time. It's the sweetest thing to hear my little 2 year old man sing, "Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord Gaw Awmighty" during worship. :001_wub:

Hi eveyone!

I'm Kelsey from Ohio and I would like to join! :)

My question I've been meaning to ask is if I'm the only one who still really likes the old hymns? (I like new hymns and praise songs too - just not to the exclusion of the old.) One of my favorites is "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less"

Our church sings only the old hymns!

Hi! Could I join your group as well? I think that I will participate in the Reformed thread as well if that is ok.

I love hymns and am trying to learn them. Does anyone have any good suggestion on how I can learn them to teach them to my little guys?

Spotify has hymns...I'm listening to Instrumental hymns right now...I do love the old hymns.

Our church has had battles over music over the years.

Now we have a mixture of hymns and newer songs.

I struggled myself when we attended a church several years ago that played no hymns. I missed them terribly!

Thankfully, I found a book with a cd and played it for us at home.

I am glad to be in the church I grew up in again.

I like the old, but I like them with a bit more modern music. I prefer a blend; I like singing in church the worship songs I hear on Christian radio.

Hi! Could I join your group as well? I think that I will participate in the Reformed thread as well if that is ok.

I love hymns and am trying to learn them. Does anyone have any good suggestion on how I can learn them to teach them to my little guys?

A few years ago, I saw a fabulous old book in the library that gave a brief, one-paged or so history of several dozen old hymns. If my kids had been younger, I would have incorporated it within the context of a historical period that we were currently studying. I would tell a bit of the story about the hymn writer, and we could listen to the song every day for a week or so. (Better yet, you could play them in your car while you drive and call it car-schooling.) If your kids are doing copywork, they could work on a line, or a verse, of the hymn each day. If they are too young for copywork, perhaps they could draw a picture to go along with the story you tell.

Ooh, I think this was the book, Then Sings My Soul by Robert Morgan.

Spotify has hymns...I'm listening to Instrumental hymns right now...I do love the old hymns.

Our church has had battles over music over the years.

Now we have a mixture of hymns and newer songs.

I struggled myself when we attended a church several years ago that played no hymns. I missed them terribly!

Thankfully, I found a book with a cd and played it for us at home.

I am glad to be in the church I grew up in again.

Me too!

We have some of the Hymns for a kids heart books and Cd's. I own the Christmas one, Passion/Easter one, and Vol. 1 that is used in our curriculum.

That's weird. I noticed I was 3rd from bottom for following this thread. When I just now looked I noticed I wasn't even listed. Can someone else remove your name? Needless to say, I put my name back on....... :) The only thing that makes sense is that I was just click happy and in checking who is signing up, that I accidentally deleted my name. Must slooooow down a bit, perhaps.