Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Bible Believing Conservative Christians

caroljenn

Here's my song for the day: "Finally Home" by Mercy Me. I heard it on the radio today and it just fills me with God's love.

Hope you all have a blessed evening!

I'm gonna wrap my arms around my Daddy's neck

And tell him that I've missed him

And tell him all about the man that I became

And hope that it pleased him

There's so much I want to say

There's so much I want you to know

(chorus)

When I finally make it home

When I finally make it home...

Then I'll gaze upon the throne of the King

Frozen in my steps

All the questions I swore I would ask

Words just won't come yet

So amazed at what I've seen; so much more

than this old mind can hold

Back to chorus

And the sweetest sound these ears have yet to hear

The voices of the angels

Back to chorus

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's Sunday morning here for us :001_smile: I have a beautiful little wooden box on my kitchen window ledge that, over the span of about 15 years, I have filled with special Bible verses written on cards. I turn a new card over each day. Today's verse is Psalm 71:8 "Let my mouth be filled with Your praise and with Your glory all the day!" Seems appropriate :hurray:

Caroljenn, thanks for sharing the song; I haven't heard it before. What expressive words! I'll be downloading that one from iTunes!

I have a favor to ask of the group...

I have already put him on our church prayer list but he needs a miracle so the more prayers the better. This is my friends brother in law. He was a year ahead of me in school. He has been with my friends sister since they were very young. They finally got married :) Just starting their lives. He is my age, 24. He has stage 4 terminal brain cancer. They have tried chemo, radiation.. nothing is working. More tumors were found. They are now discussing quality of live vs. trying another round of chemo.

He needs serious prayers.. I know it is within the Lords power to heal him. I just pray that he gets this miracle. Any and all prayers are appreciated.

So sorry :( Praying!

LOL...yes, you did end up ranting. :) But it's more frustration I think. Others expect us to be perfect, but in essence we are just as bad. They see at as an increase of how "good" they think that we think we are. But yet it's the opposite. It's a growth in our sensitivity to sin and a desire to eliminate it from our lives.

It's not that there isn't sufficient evidence that God sent Jesus and Jesus died for our sins, it's their rebellion towards it. So sad.

I think part of it is a misunderstanding of the gospel. Many may look to the "goodness" of Christians and laugh because (as we all know) many Christians don't exemplify Christ. They see Christians demonstrating works of the flesh and think that Christians are no better or probably worse than they are. I think many have a works-oriented (legalistic) view of Christianity.

Truth told, the gospel is not about my goodness. Christians can be mean. They can be people that you would want to avoid. It could be that they are carrying the name Christian when, in fact, they have not had a heart change. Or it could be that these Christians are immature and still learning how to let God's love flow through them. Christians mess up just like everyone else. The good news is that when the Father looks at us He sees the goodness of Jesus. Jesus paid our sin debt! He made us perfect by giving us a gift of His perfection. Our works can sometimes stink even while we have been given the gift of His perfection.

I have already put him on our church prayer list but he needs a miracle so the more prayers the better. This is my friends brother in law. He was a year ahead of me in school. He has been with my friends sister since they were very young. They finally got married :) Just starting their lives. He is my age, 24. He has stage 4 terminal brain cancer. They have tried chemo, radiation.. nothing is working. More tumors were found. They are now discussing quality of live vs. trying another round of chemo.

He needs serious prayers.. I know it is within the Lords power to heal him. I just pray that he gets this miracle. Any and all prayers are appreciated.

Kelsey, just made a wtm and bbcc prayer list - added this to it. Will pray!

Tonight dh is leaving for Asia for 2 weeks. His flight was delayed so we are heading to the airport in an hour. He is ministering in a couple different places preaching the gospel and being used of God to perform miracles and healings. While there he is determining if that country is a suitable place for us to live. God has opened so many doors for this trip and in this country. Dh thinks we will move within a year. While I'm not looking forward to the heat and the infinite varieties of snakes and insects, I know it is what we are to do. Plus, I hate our separations for trips like this. 2 weeks is a loooooong time.

I noticed that you mentioned a "homegroup" (was that the right word?). Is this your church, like a home church or a Bible study in home in addition to church services. This is one thing I have been studying and looking at in scripture. Just curious what this is and how it works. Thanks!

This is just a small group that get together in addition to church. It has been fairly informal but some good fruit has come from it.

Wehomeschool, I can understand your feelings towards separation. I pray the two weeks will go fast.

BlessedMomma, I will be praying for your friend and family.

Creekland, I just want to say, that despite the obvious hurt and pain, it is so wonderful to see you are trusting him to God. I will be praying for you all.

I am praying for this young man and his family.

Evergreen -

Just thinking of you and wondering how you and your family are doing today. Still praying for you.

Tonight dh is leaving for Asia for 2 weeks. His flight was delayed so we are heading to the airport in an hour. He is ministering in a couple different places preaching the gospel and being used of God to perform miracles and healings. While there he is determining if that country is a suitable place for us to live. God has opened so many doors for this trip and in this country. Dh thinks we will move within a year. While I'm not looking forward to the heat and the infinite varieties of snakes and insects, I know it is what we are to do. Plus, I hate our separations for trips like this. 2 weeks is a loooooong time.

I hate separations from my dh too. I don't know how military families do it.

At the same time, I feel so envious of you! Missions makes me so :001_smile: ! I have a friend who is leaving to serve in Mozambique in a few months. Every part of me want to go with her. Dh has no interest in mission work. With 7 kids, I think I would be pretty ineffective anyway. Course, I don't envy you dealing with the bugs!

Evergreen -

Just thinking of you and wondering how you and your family are doing today. Still praying for you.

Thank you ladies for bathing me in prayer over the loss of my brother. I've read every one of your comments and I treasure the fact I can come here and so many of my sisters in Christ can lift me up. The first 24 hours was so hard. I didn't know I could cry that much. Today we started the process of sorting the things in his home, and next week we meet with the funeral home as they are not open over the weekend. We are kind of on autopilot right now just taking one day at a time. Again, thank you so much for your prayers.

I love the old hymns! I like some of the new stuff and am comfortable with a mix - but those old hymns are powerful, majestic, full of the gospel, and very worshipful. I prefer them sung in the old way, too - should I duck and run? :)

Me too! I miss the old hymns so much, and like a PP said, some bring tingles when I hear them. I was at church a minimum of 3x/wk from birth to my early teens, and I can still hear in my memory the exact notes of all the frilly "extras" the pianist played for the hymns. I ordered a small set of hymn CDs a couple years ago, but it just doesn't sound the same.

My favorites are:

It Is Well With My Soul

Redeemed

Then Sings My Soul

How Great Thou Art

At Calvary

The Old Rugged Cross

Victory In Jesus

There are other songs from my childhood church that are simply Scripture put to music. Those, I treasure.

Is it just me or are Sundays the perfect day for taking a nap? Although I rarely am able to get one, I get soo sleepy after coming home from church and having lunch.

Wonder why that is? :)

I don't often get to nap nor do I want to since I head to bed early to get up early. However, hubby and youngest (17) are napping as I type. ;)

We try to keep Sunday free (after church) as a day of rest or just puttering around doing whatever we want to do. I seldom cook other than reheating leftovers. Many meals are "help yourself" types, though we all actually eat together. I treasure these days and really miss them when we "have" to do something on a Sunday. I kind of think God knew what He was doing when he proclaimed a day of rest every seventh day! :thumbup:

Happy Sunday everyone! We had a really good church service this morning. It was so sweet hearing my 3 year old get into the worship songs this morning and sing along. He is my shy one so that is unsual for him. We are headed over to a friends hoise this afternoon. My dh and I are not into football at all but it will be fun to get together with some friends we haven't hung out with in awhile. What do you all typically do to get ready for a new school week? I like having the house cleaned up by Sunday night, looking through the school books we will be using for the week, and try to make sure I spend some time in prayer preparing myself for Monday. ;)

Is it just me or are Sundays the perfect day for taking a nap? Although I rarely am able to get one, I get soo sleepy after coming home from church and having lunch.

Wonder why that is? :)

I am very sleepy. And I just might take a nap soon. But then I go to my Feldenkrais therapy.

How was everyone's Sunday? Mine was extra busy. Had to run to the store right before church because we were out of communion supplies! Just a lot of small pastor's wife type of things - like a big garbage sack full of tablecloths that are all stained and I need to wash this week. I did get to focus on communion and on the message though.

Quite the excitement at church today.

We were going from SS to church service when the fire alarm went off. It was a bit of pandaemonium in the foyer as we were told to GET OUT NOW!!! I think people thought they would just shut it off and carry on with church. Legally they can't do that.

I don't think there was a fire, I think the alarm was tripped, but after 20 minutes of freezing and the fire trucks had only just arrived, we decided to call it a day and leave.

Dawn

Thank you ladies for bathing me in prayer over the loss of my brother. I've read every one of your comments and I treasure the fact I can come here and so many of my sisters in Christ can lift me up. The first 24 hours was so hard. I didn't know I could cry that much. Today we started the process of sorting the things in his home, and next week we meet with the funeral home as they are not open over the weekend. We are kind of on autopilot right now just taking one day at a time. Again, thank you so much for your prayers.

I will continue praying for you and your family. Big hugs to you. Just let us all know when you feel like you need more prayers, and we will lift you up.

:grouphug:

Happy Sunday everyone! We had a really good church service this morning. It was so sweet hearing my 3 year old get into the worship songs this morning and sing along. He is my shy one so that is unsual for him. We are headed over to a friends hoise this afternoon. My dh and I are not into football at all but it will be fun to get together with some friends we haven't hung out with in awhile. What do you all typically do to get ready for a new school week? I like having the house cleaned up by Sunday night, looking through the school books we will be using for the week, and try to make sure I spend some time in prayer preparing myself for Monday. ;)

Me too. I feel much better when the house is cleaned up. I feel like I can concentrate on the task at hand.

Hope you have a great week.

I am very sleepy. And I just might take a nap soon. But then I go to my Feldenkrais therapy.

How was everyone's Sunday? Mine was extra busy. Had to run to the store right before church because we were out of communion supplies! Just a lot of small pastor's wife type of things - like a big garbage sack full of tablecloths that are all stained and I need to wash this week. I did get to focus on communion and on the message though.

Jean, When we get to heaven, I will know which crown is yours. It will be the one with tons of jewels! Keep on vacuuming for Jesus!

What do you all typically do to get ready for a new school week? I like having the house cleaned up by Sunday night, looking through the school books we will be using for the week, and try to make sure I spend some time in prayer preparing myself for Monday. ;)

I try to have the house cleaned as well. I print out all the kid's schedules for the week and make sure I have all the supplies I need. It also helps to have dinners planned out but that rarely happens.

I try to relax on the weekend to prepare for the upcoming week where I will have little, if any, time to relax. I had to work today though, but my work is now done so I can relax after kids are in bed. I usually write down on the white board the subjects we will cover. Sometimes I do that the night before and sometimes in the morning.

I hope you don't mind me joining in. I mostly just lurk right now, but it would be nice to have some others to talk with. Right now we don't have a church home. We were part of a home church for several years but it was too far to drive each week. Today we visited a new place for the first time in a long time. We are going to go back a few times to get a better feel for it. Today was apparently atypical as the pastor was gone and the youth group was out also so they had a guest speaker. DD was excited though when she found out that a number of her dance friends attend there.

My Dh stayed home with the sick little ones today so the oldest and I went alone. Our church offers two services, a more traditional one and a more contemporary one. I come from a very straight laced, open your hymnal and sing all six verses of #22 accompanied by the organ. So I've never gone to the contemporary service at our church. Shoot, the more traditional one was a bit peppy for me when we started. But since I was alone today I tagged along with a friend and her Dh to the contemporary service.

It was great! There something to be said for the simpler praise songs.

This is interesting. I can count on one hand the number of times I went to church in my first 30 years, and don't care a lot for older hymns.

So, for those who like the older hymns, did you grow up going to church? To bad you can't put a poll within a thread.

I love most of the new songs/praise songs ... for a long time I didn't want to listen to any "old hymns" just recently I have started to like to sing them ... I grew up in church (every Sunday) and I'm not sure why ... but I've recently changed my mind about them. I now like both old and new...

Do you guys rest one day a week ... do you "remember the Sabbath"? I have begun to think more about this. I didn't grow up with this tradition ... although we didn't "work" on Sunday but we did cook and do basic things - we might also go to the grocery store or out to eat which would require others working...we weren't strict about it. I just got through reading the book of Hebrews and I've begun to wonder more about whether we should still be taking a day of rest in a more formal sense. I'm not even sure what it would look like. I've recently begun reading a book on this topic (the book is called: 24/6) and I'm still not complete sure what this would mean for me or what it would look like. Just wondering what other conservative Christians do and think about this topic.

Do you guys rest one day a week ... do you "remember the Sabbath"? I have begun to think more about this. I didn't grow up with this tradition ... although we didn't "work" on Sunday but we did cook and do basic things - we might also go to the grocery store or out to eat which would require others working...we weren't strict about it. I just got through reading the book of Hebrews and I've begun to wonder more about whether we should still be taking a day of rest in a more formal sense. I'm not even sure what it would look like. I've recently begun reading a book on this topic (the book is called: 24/6) and I'm still not complete sure what this would mean for me or what it would look like. Just wondering what other conservative Christians do and think about this topic.

For us, a typical Sunday includes morning church service, dinner at the In-Laws, maybe some Geocaching or trip to the playground and a nap for me.

I try not to buy things at a store but it's not a hard and fast rule.

We've just recently begun observing the Sabbath more closely. When I was growing up, my dad was the minister. We would always have a big Sunday dinner and not do much else. Often we would be invited over to parishioners homes for dinner. Now, DH and I run a business out of our home. If we aren't careful, we can be working all the time. It's been extremely beneficial to us to take the day off and relax. We aren't to the point of it being an absolute, but it is our goal. God knows that we need to have that time to relax and reflect. It's not always possible, but I think we should do our best to observe whenever possible.

I believe the Sabbath in the old covenant was a type and shadow of the rest we have in Christ for our salvation. I've come to believe that resting from our labours is a daily thing. we shouldn't look to our labours as something that will save us, but rest in Jesus' complete work. In Hebrews it talks about the Sabbath rest for the people of God and it declares that the day is "today". it also talks about how we enter that rest (the one that remains for the people of God) by faith. FWIW, I did grow up with the tradition.

I believe the Sabbath in the old covenant was a type and shadow of the rest we have in Christ for our salvation. I've come to believe that resting from our labours is a daily thing. we shouldn't look to our labours as something that will save us, but rest in Jesus' complete work. In Hebrews it talks about the Sabbath rest for the people of God and it declares that the day is "today". it also talks about how we enter that rest (the one that remains for the people of God) by faith. FWIW, I did grow up with the tradition.

:iagree:

I agree with Wehomeschool. We are studying Hebrews right now (finished Ephesians in the fall). What I've learned is this - Jesus "IS" the Sabbath. He "IS" our rest. Jesus is our Sabbath rest. I would love to start "keeping" the Sabbath. By that I mean Friday at sundown to Saturday make that our Sabbath - resting in Jesus. It's been awhile since attending our local Messianic Congregations. I have friends there who are Jewish and Gentile. I am Gentile and am so used to "resting" on Sunday. And, that's fine too. I don't know where it says in the Bible (Ephesians?), but whatever day we participate in the Sabbath, we are to observe that day - whether it's the first day of the week - Sunday representing the day Jesus was resurrected OR Saturday, the last day of the week (creation - on the 7th day God rested). We know God didn't need to physically rest, but people and animals do. Plus it's a day to "abide" (rest) in Him. I'm adding here: I do too much on Sunday which is our Sabbath. It's hard after years of Sunday Sabbath to transition to Saturday. This is something I've been pondering for a while as I feel the Lord leading me to slow down and "rest" more in Him on the Sabbath (Sat. or Sun.) All of the busyness distracts my attention from Him. It would honor Him more for me to walk in that faith of letting some things go (laundry, grocery shopping, or whatever it may be). I know I'd be blessed back to learn more about Him by doing this. There is ALWAYS laundry to do so why not wait 1 day, right!?!?! My keyboard is not working right which is not good as this is a new laptop. But, I wanted to mention that growing up we did not go to church. My Mother was saved, but my Dad was not, so we didn't go to church often. The few times a year we did we went to very traditional churches. All of this to say that today I enjoy some very traditional and old-timey songs (How Great Thou Art, Just As I Am, Blessed Assurance, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, Amazing Grace), Messianic praise/worship (Marty Goetz, and Barry/Batya Segal, etc) and contemporary songs (too numerous to list).

Oh, oh, where in Canada. We used to live in MI and would cross over into Canada at Port Huron, MI. This was 25 years ago - before passports required. Dh, DD and I went to Stratford, ON 2 years ago. Lovely little place.

I hope I am quoting properly. I've never done it here before.

I am in south/central Ontario - depending on your perspective ;) - on the shores of lovely Georgian Bay which is part of Lake Huron. It is a nice place to live, although the weather patterns have really been changing since I was a child. :(

It is so nice to have this particular thread, but I am wondering if there is a way to separate with new pages or new topics. Then you wouldn't have to weed through reems and reems of pages to get to the latest post and forget what you started reading about in the first place. KYIM? :)

Mrs Darinski, if you hover over the thread link it will bring up a few of the posts and at the bottom of the square you will see a place to click that says, last post read and it will take you to the last post you read. It's great.

Praise God. We are sitting here with our heads spinning. We felt it really important to get our house fully insulated before winter and hoped we may have enough money to get a new fire installed too. So we have been investigating what we can afford to buy etc. Well, it turns out we are possibly entitled to a number of subsidies and grants which will reduce the cost substantially which will mean we can do both before the winter meaning our home will be warm and cosy for winter. It all seems so doable now. And I have to say God is so good to us. It is just so unbelievable that we are going to get all cheaper than we thought and that is all installed which we thought we would have to do the work. Just amazing.

I'm sorry someone would be hateful to you. I can only imagine!. I know that my views have upset my dh's family. They think that I'm "less" christian or sheep in wolf clothings. I really would like to discuss the stuff with other christians. I deleted my post but maybe once the social group gets more established we can bring up for discussion. Thanks

Came too late and missed your original post. IMHO, all discussions are good as long as they remain respectful of other people's view. Perhaps you can re-post when you feel comfortable?

Shanvan - I'm a 4 point Calvinist - just don't agree on the L in TULIP. I don't think of myself as Reformed.

I think of myself as a Calvinist too -- but the "L" in TULIP makes me lean towards Arminianism. Eeeek.

I'm a former Catholic now Charismatic Non-Denominational (Protestant) since 1985. Currently reviewing studies on the Book of Revelation and Eschatology. Our homechurch does Saturday night meetings with Friday evening beginning the Shabbat -- ending on Saturday evening with homechurch and potluck/fellowship afterwards. No church on Sundays.

May I join? :001_smile:

I hope you don't mind me joining in. I mostly just lurk right now, but it would be nice to have some others to talk with. Right now we don't have a church home. We were part of a home church for several years but it was too far to drive each week. Today we visited a new place for the first time in a long time. We are going to go back a few times to get a better feel for it. Today was apparently atypical as the pastor was gone and the youth group was out also so they had a guest speaker. DD was excited though when she found out that a number of her dance friends attend there.

It sounds like a nice first visit even if it was an atypical day! We chose the church we now go to because my boys had a lot of peers going there. (We also agree with the church teaching, but it's a bit larger of a church than we adults would find ideal). At our stage in life, we wanted our boys to have peers and a nice youth group. We didn't want them feeling they were the only teens doing the church/Christian thing. I have no regrets. I hope you can find a church that fits your family!

Ladies, I could sure use some prayers for my dd. She has been sick since Friday and slept until 2 p.m. today! All prayers for her quick healing will be appreciated!!

Praying!

We used to not really think of Sunday as anything special other than going to church. School, work, housework, shopping, restaurants, whatever was fair game just like on any other day. God sent both hubby and I a nudge to try a true day of rest. We've always felt if God was telling both of us to do something (separately) than it was a sign it really was from God... so we tried it. We go to church, but "work" is off limits. We don't shop unless it's an emergency. We don't go to restaurants (as with shopping, this would cause others to have to work). No housework aside from a minimum to make a meal - very easy stuff. No schoolwork, no homework, no work-work. We read. We watch taped TV shows (try to keep these things that aren't anti-God), we play board games, we putter with fun projects. We used to go geocaching when the kids were younger. It has been SO UPLIFTING to life to take that one day out of seven break that ALL of us miss it when we don't have one. We're not legalistic. If something has to happen on a Sunday for whatever reason - so be it and we don't feel guilty. But since we love it so much, we try hard to not have emergencies happen.

I seriously have come to the conclusion that God knew what He was doing when he told us humans to take a break. The particular day (Saturday, Sunday, whatever) doesn't matter. But if our family's experience is common, the human body really feels refreshed after a break once per week.

Just a song that popped in my head today. One of my favorites! Enjoy.

Who are we--- that You would be mindful of us?

What do You see--- that's worth looking our way?

We are free--- in ways that we never should be.

Sweet release--- from the grip of these chains.

Like hinges straining from the weight,

My heart no longer can keep from singing.

All that is within me cries

For You alone be glorified:

Emmanuel, God with us.

My heart sings a brand new song.

The debt is paid, these chains are gone.

Emmanuel, God with us.

Lord, You know--- our hearts don't deserve Your glory;

Still You show--- a love we cannot afford.

Like hinges straining from the weight,

My heart no longer can keep from singing.

Emmanuel, God with us.

The debt is paid, these chains are gone.

Emmanuel, God with us.

Such a tiny offering

Compared to Calvary;

Nevertheless,

We lay it at Your feet.

Such a tiny offering

Compared to Calvary;

Nevertheless,

We lay this at Your feet.

Emmanuel, God with us.

My debt is paid, these chains are gone.

Emmanuel, God with us.

I would just like to remind everyone that this thread is open to public viewing, even to those who you would think are least likely to be interested. Please be aware of your words.

I try to keep this in mind. I'm wondering if you can elaborate on what made you post this?

What would have been said that would not be ok? Why would this matter?

I would just like to remind everyone that this thread is open to public viewing, even to those who you would think are least likely to be interested. Please be aware of your words.

I don't know, maybe talking about the poor atheist children of the posters on that other thread? Maybe the kind explanations that folks who reject christianity just don't know Jesus and should just understand that you can't expect charity from mean christians, since we're all just sinners anyway?

Awe. One of my dear friends lives in NZ. She lives in Orewa now. I would love to visit.

I wonder if one day we will make it to the US and do the rounds of all you ladies. Mind you, if any of you are ever in New Zealand, you would be most welcome to stop and stay.

Shanvan - I'm a 4 point Calvinist - just don't agree on the L in TULIP. I don't think of myself as Reformed.

I think of myself as a Calvinist too -- but the "L" in TULIP makes me lean towards Arminianism. Eeeek.

Just an FYI : this viewpoint has a name, Amyraldism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amyraldism

Also, this post allowed me to learn to multiquote!

Ehh.. dont mean to open a can of worms, and a little voice in my head is saying to just leave it alone.. but one quick peak at other social groups threads and I see plenty of snarky and disrespectful comments towards people who believe in Christ. My rant was in response to some pretty disturbing comments made about Christians that were totally untrue and offensive.. guess I should turn the other cheek?

Lesson learned.