Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Bible Believing Conservative Christians

caroljenn

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't "follow" this. But if I click my name waaaaaay up at the top right hand side of the screen, and then "New Content," it will bring this whole thread up, with the unread posts.

I guess I still don't know the difference of these things with the new board....

(And anyone can feel free to clue me in!)

I'm a Mere Christianity type of Christian--I believe the basics but am flexible about the rest. We have joined several different denominations over our many moves as an Air Force family. We've joined some where we didn't agree with their interpretation of baptism or other fairly big issues, but have always gone to the nearest church that is Bible believing and seems Spirit filled.

We also try to find a church with a mix of contemporary music and a few hymns, but that is not always possible. We go with good preaching over good music, but good music is a bonus.

Jean- :grouphug: I've always thought it would be hard to be a Pastor's wife. A friend here who attends another church was having a conversation with our current Pastor's wife at an upward soccer game about a year ago. She asked me later about her and was surprised to find out that she was the Pastor's wife. I laughed and said that she was probably enjoying being able to be just be herself. My friend said that the wife's answer about what she did at church was deliberately vague in retrospect and made more sense in retrospect. (Also, I don't like vacuuming either!! :) )

I deleted my previous post because it was related to the boyscout thread. There was a lot of "hate" toward christians and I wanted to discuss some of the issues. I still want to discuss stuff but I'll bring it up in the future. I don't want the group to start with the "big" items and that I'm sure their will be lots of opinions.

I've been at work the pass few days so I'm catching up and see the group building.

I grew up in a holiness church as a prison minister daughter. My dad had PTSD along with his devout and very legalistic ideas. I pretty much didn't miss a church meeting from age of 3 till I left home at 18. I never really didn't believe it God but I always felt like I couldn't do right enough for him. (this goes along with a church culture of no grace just a lot of rules - with also a father that thought a belt could whip sin/devil out of me. ) I stayed away from church for a decade. I still prayed and never felt a diffrence but I never stopped believing. I went through a really bad time around age of 29. I prayed like crazy to God just give me peace take all this pain away. I was at a beach side park watching my kids play and finally got it. This overwhelming peace. I knew that I had meet fell in love with God. I realize the difference before with all my prayers is wanting God to do something for me. The final prayer to my conversion was giving it all the decision and problems to god and admitting I couldn't do it on my own.

My new christian walk was pretty different for some. I knew the bible but I had a lot of "anger against church" I pretty much visited every denomination over the past 13 years as a born-again-christian. The real irony is I attend a church that has the same doctrine as my childhood church but I've made my journey. My pastor understand that I love the worship and stuff but I do not agree with some of their stuff. That was the biggest journey for me. I had such a legalistic view of church. I mean to my parents it was like joining the military. They really still have the attitude about their church. I don't have any loyality to a church denomination. I just go to whatever church I can feel the holy spirits present I'm amazed at the many "spiritually dead" churches of all denominations.

well it looks like I've written my life story LOL

(sorry for all mis spells)

Jean,

I think we grew up in very similar backgrounds. We sang hymns in church and at home and it is a great comfort to me.

Some of my favorites:

Be Though My Vision

It is well with my Soul

Great is Thy Faithfulness

My question I've been meaning to ask is if I'm the only one who still really likes the old hymns? (I like new hymns and praise songs too - just not to the exclusion of the old.) One of my favorites is "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less"

This is my husband. He doesn't even know any hymns and didn't grow up Christian.

I've always gone to church with more contemporary worship. Once in a while I like to hear an old hymn, but only when the moon is blue.

Should I duck and run now? :leaving:

My question I've been meaning to ask is if I'm the only one who still really likes the old hymns? (I like new hymns and praise songs too - just not to the exclusion of the old.) One of my favorites is "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less"

Jean, I lovelovelove the old hymns! And, like you, not to the exclusion of the new. CarolJenn--prayers for you!

I love the old hymns! I like some of the new stuff and am comfortable with a mix - but those old hymns are powerful, majestic, full of the gospel, and very worshipful. I prefer them sung in the old way, too - should I duck and run? :)

Someone mentioned wanting ideas for teaching them to their children (sorry, I didn't multi-quote it...) When ds was younger, we had the wonderful advantage of being in a church that included mostly the old hymns in worship, so ds heard them all the time. Additionally, he heard me playing them at home (on the piano as well as on tapes [George Beverly Shea, The Melody Four, Sixteen Singing Men, or even the Gaithers, etc.]). However, I also incorporated hymns into our daily Bible readings. I got out a hymn book for each of us, made sure the verses were the same from book to book, and we sang the songs together - every verse - even before he could read; it's amazing how much they pick up just from hearing. I am so pleased that ds prefers the hymns, sung traditionally . . . :)

A series of books we enjoyed for family reading that is about some of the old hymns is this (copied from Timberdoodle's website):

British Hymn Makers

Two young Americans, Annie and Drew, who are on vacation in England, learn a great deal about famous British hymn writers as they are befriended by the elderly Mr. Pipes. They also learn about the value of traditional worship and praise.

Author: Douglas Bond

Pages: 240

Binding: Paperback

Copyright: 2000

ISBNs: 978-1930092129

Publisher: Christian Liberty Press

Made In: USA

Consumable: No

Psalms and Hymns of the Reformation

The second book in the Mr. Pipes series introduces Annie and Drew to the backgrounds of several hymns from the sixteenth century.

Pages: 240

Copyright: 2000

ISBNs: 978-1930367524

Mr. Pipes Comes to America

In the third volume in the Mr. Pipes series, Annie and Drew continue their fast-moving adventures as Mr. Pipes visits America and teaches them about great hymns from American history.

Pages: 194

Copyright: 2007

ISBNs: 978-1930367531

The Accidental Voyage

During a series of lively adventures across Europe, Mr. Pipes introduces Annie and Drew to sixteen hymns from the early centuries A.D.

Pages: 257

Copyright: 2005

ISBNs: 978-0875527482

Publisher: P & R Publishing

This is my husband. He doesn't even know any hymns and didn't grow up Christian.

This is interesting. I can count on one hand the number of times I went to church in my first 30 years, and don't care a lot for older hymns.

So, for those who like the older hymns, did you grow up going to church? To bad you can't put a poll within a thread.

I don't like every single old hymn. Some old hymns are trite and the melodies are a bit hokey. But some, like the ones by Isaac Watts have wonderfully poetic words that are packed full of doctrine in a few lines. I feel the same about new music. Some new music is what I've heard called 7-11 songs - 7 words song 11 times. They might get you in a certain frame of mind, but are more like mantras than anything else. Some new music have wonderfully complex melodies and words that might not quite rival Isaac Watts but still pack a powerful message.

I don't like every single old hymn. Some old hymns are trite and the melodies are a bit hokey. But some, like the ones by Isaac Watts have wonderfully poetic words that are packed full of doctrine in a few lines. I feel the same about new music. Some new music is what I've heard called 7-11 songs - 7 words song 11 times. They might get you in a certain frame of mind, but are more like mantras than anything else. Some new music have wonderfully complex melodies and words that might not quite rival Isaac Watts but still pack a powerful message.

Were we separated at birth??? :D

I feel the same way. There are some hymns and some modern worship songs that drive me crazy and others that I absolutely love. Our church manages a really good balance of old hymns with modern arrangements and modern praise/worship songs as well as some very talented musicians on instrumental pieces. We've got a terrific choir that can really belt it out too.

I didn't grow up going to church.

I like many old hymns.

But, I did grow up playing trumpet from 3rd grade on (kept playing through high school) and also played piano for 3 years, so I grew up playing a lot of different styles of music, and I enjoy the best of each genre. I like well done jazz, classical, contemporary, etc.

I don't like twaddle in my music or in my books. (Although I do enjoy well written songs and books that some might consider twaddlish.)

Kindred spirits...reminds me of Anne's quote about kindred spirits and the race that knows Joseph. Very fitting for this group!

No, you are not. I prefer the old hymns. I don't care for most of the modern worship music I've heard. Our current church uses only the old hymns.

Hope I won't be banned for confessing that I am a Calvinist. I have some good friends who are Arminians. I've also come into contact with those who will not give me the time of day once they find out our family is leans toward the Calvinistic.

:iagree: We love Isaac Watts.

I am Wesleyan/Arminian in my theology. I have many friends who are Calvinists and some even in my Bible study. If we don't major on the minors it won't become a problem.

Dawn

No, you are not. I prefer the old hymns. I don't care for most of the modern worship music I've heard. Our current church uses only the old hymns, but we may be switching to a church that is closer to our home and less legalistic and they use a mixture of old/new music.

Hope I won't be banned for confessing that I am a Calvinist. I have some good friends who are Arminians. I've also come into contact with those who will not give me the time of day once they find out our family is leans toward the Calvinistic.

What list? I think I am missing something.

Dawn

Yeah, I'm missing it too... it doesn't help that my main time for being on the boards is from 5 - 6:15am and the boards have been down then these past couple of days.

I have many friends who are Calvinists and some even in my Bible study. If we don't major on the minors it won't become a problem.

Dawn

Same here!

So I don't even know what Arminian and Calvinist mean... :lol:

If I had more time, I'd write out a response. Since I'm at school (where I work) and I have kids coming in soon (finishing my "prep" period now), here's a quick chart link comparing Arminian vs Calvinist:

http://www.fivesolas.com/cal_arm.htm

Hope that helps!

Switching subjects... I love many of the old hymns. Crown Him with Many Crowns is probably my #1 favorite, but I also sang Amazing Grace to my infants every single night before putting them down to sleep. I stopped when they outgrew the infant stage. They all absolutely love the song now - even as teenagers. ;)

I've always gone to church with more contemporary worship. Once in a while I like to hear an old hymn, but only when the moon is blue.

Should I duck and run now? :leaving:

no, don't duck, lol. i absolutely prefer contemporary music too. even hymns that i love, i prefer to a band with drums and guitars over a choir. i don't think one is better than the other, it's just preference. lyrics matter, not tempo. it really isn't a surprise that music is as diverse as people. my parent's attend an uber-traditional church & my church is very contemporary. both churches are transforming lives, impacting communities, and bringing glory to God. nothing is watered down or compromised. that's all that matters. :)

I see from your siggy line that your son goes to Covenant College. I had friends whose son went there. He was on break and visiting his parents and got sick and died over vacation. Whenever I see the name of that college I pray for them. I can't imagine their pain.

Dawn

If I had more time, I'd write out a response. Since I'm at school (where I work) and I have kids coming in soon (finishing my "prep" period now), here's a quick chart link comparing Arminian vs Calvinist:

http://www.fivesolas.com/cal_arm.htm

Hope that helps!

Switching subjects... I love many of the old hymns. Crown Him with Many Crowns is probably my #1 favorite, but I also sang Amazing Grace to my infants every single night before putting them down to sleep. I stopped when they outgrew the infant stage. They all absolutely love the song now - even as teenagers. ;)

I'm with you Jean. We do a mix right now at our church. Our current worship leaders do a really nice job of picking songs, old & new, that are really solid theologically. Well, when I say 'new', I mean newer than hymns. I think their currently stuck in the 80's. :D What I LOVE is they try to give some historical background to all the hymns before we sing them. I appreciate them even more when I know out of what circumstances they were written.

What I LOVE about our church is that while we all have different preferences about what kind of songs to sing, we strive to be gracious to each other & find a place that we can all get fed. Worship isn't about our preferences.

Worship isn't about our preferences.

i'm not sure. worship is a lifestyle, but musical taste is a preference. i love contemporary worship, but to someone else it may sound like noise and simply be too loud for them. even though the words glorify God, if someone can't get past the musical style, they may have a difficult time worshipping. and that's okay. i don't fault anyone for that. not every church is meant for every person. ykwim?

i'm not sure. worship is a lifestyle, but musical taste is a preference. i love contemporary worship, but to someone else it may sound like noise and simply be too loud for them. even though the words glorify God, if someone can't get past the musical style, they may have a difficult time worshipping. and that's okay. i don't fault anyone for that. not every church is meant for every person. ykwim?

I'm not disagreeing with what you wrote. I have very strong preferences & have visited a few churches where I could not imagine going there regularly as the music was so horrendous FOR ME. I'm not saying that isn't valid or that every church is for everyone. My point was prompted by the stories I've heard about churches breaking apart or people leaving in a huff because it doesn't suit our style/proudly staying because they're 'right'. No matter what your preference or worship needs are, none of that nonsense glorifies God.

I'm not here to argue or debate.

oh, i'm not debating. honest. :grouphug: i'm sorry if it came across as such. i was really just thinking out loud. i agree with your second post fully. my husband has been a full-time worship pastor for 12 years & believe me, we have seen the absurdity of division over musical preference. it's very sad to witness the things that divide churches. carpet color, musical style, contemporary vs. traditional, adding another service, etc. it's crazy.

I don't have anything useful to contribute at the moment, but I wanted to say that I'm in, too, and thank you for starting this group. I post somewhat erratically, but I'm grateful for this place, especially as we're starting a new school year and I really feel the need to keep my focus on Christ and not get lost in all the other, busy "stuff".

Thanks for the book recommendations, eaglei! Those look really interesting. I love reading the history behind the hymns. Three of them are even available at my local Christian library!

Your welcome! Hope you enjoy them! Please keep in mind that, while the facts concerning the hymns are true, the surrounding story with Annie, Drew and Mr. Pipes is fictional.

This is interesting. I can count on one hand the number of times I went to church in my first 30 years, and don't care a lot for older hymns.

So, for those who like the older hymns, did you grow up going to church? To bad you can't put a poll within a thread.

Yes, I grew up going to church. While that church sang traditional hymns, it did not sing many of the hymns I subsequently learned, following my changing churches when I learned about being born again, Jesus so gently but firmly drew me, and I committed my life to Christ - Oh Thank You, Jesus!

No, you are not. I prefer the old hymns. I don't care for most of the modern worship music I've heard. Our current church uses only the old hymns, but we may be switching to a church that is closer to our home and less legalistic and they use a mixture of old/new music.

Shanvan - I'm a 4 point Calvinist - just don't agree on the L in TULIP. I don't think of myself as Reformed.

That's weird. I noticed I was 3rd from bottom for following this thread. When I just now looked I noticed I wasn't even listed. Can someone else remove your name? Needless to say, I put my name back on....... :) The only thing that makes sense is that I was just click happy and in checking who is signing up, that I accidentally deleted my name. Must slooooow down a bit, perhaps.

I think it's a forum problem. I have noticed those types of problems as well. I'm glad you're back! =)

No, you won't be banned- no banning around here as long as you love the Lord!

I deleted my previous post because it was related to the boyscout thread. There was a lot of "hate" toward christians and I wanted to discuss some of the issues. I still want to discuss stuff but I'll bring it up in the future. I don't want the group to start with the "big" items and that I'm sure their will be lots of opinions.

I've been at work the pass few days so I'm catching up and see the group building.

I grew up in a holiness church as a prison minister daughter. My dad had PTSD along with his devout and very legalistic ideas. I pretty much didn't miss a church meeting from age of 3 till I left home at 18. I never really didn't believe it God but I always felt like I couldn't do right enough for him. (this goes along with a church culture of no grace just a lot of rules - with also a father that thought a belt could whip sin/devil out of me. ) I stayed away from church for a decade. I still prayed and never felt a diffrence but I never stopped believing. I went through a really bad time around age of 29. I prayed like crazy to God just give me peace take all this pain away. I was at a beach side park watching my kids play and finally got it. This overwhelming peace. I knew that I had meet fell in love with God. I realize the difference before with all my prayers is wanting God to do something for me. The final prayer to my conversion was giving it all the decision and problems to god and admitting I couldn't do it on my own.

My new christian walk was pretty different for some. I knew the bible but I had a lot of "anger against church" I pretty much visited every denomination over the past 13 years as a born-again-christian. The real irony is I attend a church that has the same doctrine as my childhood church but I've made my journey. My pastor understand that I love the worship and stuff but I do not agree with some of their stuff. That was the biggest journey for me. I had such a legalistic view of church. I mean to my parents it was like joining the military. They really still have the attitude about their church. I don't have any loyality to a church denomination. I just go to whatever church I can feel the holy spirits present I'm amazed at the many "spiritually dead" churches of all denominations.

well it looks like I've written my life story LOL

(sorry for all mis spells)

Big big hugs to you, Cafe. I see it's been hard for you- thank God that He had been waiting for you and watching you until you came back home. God is so good!

I think one of the problems throughout the last 2000 years has been the legalism of Christianity. I don't think the traditions of men belong with the grace of the Gospel. Our church talks a lot about that. How we are just bumbling through our lives doing the best we can, and that's good enough for God. That all He wants is our love and our best attempts to please Him. God is our Father, and if you think of His love like a parent's love, it becomes a much easier thing to understand. We wouldn't make our kids jump through hoops to please us. We think our kids are great and love watching them grow and learn and even make mistakes. The thought that He thinks the same way about us is a wonderful thing. I am thankful every day for His forgiveness and love.

I was going to post this on the main chat board... but then I thought, why not here? :)

What does intimate worship mean to you? Also, what does it consist of for you, personally?

Im in the process of trying to develop a deeper relationship with Him, and thought Id see what others think/feel about it.

Today I just need some prayers, ladies,

Today is my mom's birthday. She died of cancer 16 years ago. My dad's been gone for 13 and my sister died last March. All of my grandparents are gone.

I have a wonderful dh and two dc and a really happy little family. I am really very blessed, but it is days like today that I yearn for my family. I miss them a lot, even though I know I will see them again. What a wonderul day that will be!

Any prayers to help me today would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty down. =(

Glad you are feeling better today. I missed this post yesterday (we were gone from 5am-6:30pm). My grandparents are gone too. I was very close to my grandmother. Since my mom was a single mom, grandma took care of me a lot of the time in my younger years. One of the sweetest things was the way she loved my husband and called him her grandson. Every time he had a success she told her friends all about it. When we visited she would buy all his favorite foods just the way she bought mine. She just loved him. There is no one else in our families (mine or Dh's) who feels that way about either of us. Just last week I had a couple of really down days missing her. I had been going through old Christmas cards and found some from her with notes in them. Also found some from my Aunt who died of cancer.

When I get to feeling down about people I miss, I try to think about how much God must love me to send me those people to care for me in the first place. The love they gave was God's love and He's still there loving us today. I don't know if that helps, but it does make me feel a little better.

Big big hugs to you, Cafe. I see it's been hard for you- thank God that He had been waiting for you and watching you until you came back home. God is so good!

I think one of the problems throughout the last 2000 years has been the legalism of Christianity. I don't think the traditions of men belong with the grace of the Gospel. Our church talks a lot about that. How we are just bumbling through our lives doing the best we can, and that's good enough for God. That all He wants is our love and our best attempts to please Him. God is our Father, and if you think of His love like a parent's love, it becomes a much easier thing to understand. We wouldn't make our kids jump through hoops to please us. We think our kids are great and love watching them grow and learn and even make mistakes. The thought that He thinks the same way about us is a wonderful thing. I am thankful every day for His forgiveness and love.

The bold is really hard for me lately. My parents (particularly my mother) haven't shown me much actual love & for some reason it makes the thought of God loving me that much harder. I'm really struggling with it right now.