Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Bible Believing Conservative Christians

caroljenn

Do you guys rest one day a week ... do you "remember the Sabbath"? I have begun to think more about this. I didn't grow up with this tradition ... although we didn't "work" on Sunday but we did cook and do basic things - we might also go to the grocery store or out to eat which would require others working...we weren't strict about it. I just got through reading the book of Hebrews and I've begun to wonder more about whether we should still be taking a day of rest in a more formal sense. I'm not even sure what it would look like. I've recently begun reading a book on this topic (the book is called: 24/6) and I'm still not complete sure what this would mean for me or what it would look like. Just wondering what other conservative Christians do and think about this topic.

Interesting topic - I have thought about it several times. For our family, we try to do things together on Sundays because dh usually works 6 day weeks. The only day we really have him home is Sunday, so whatever we do that day, I think, is okay because it's the day we have to strengthen our marriage and family bonds. KWIM?

I think if dh was home more often, we would probably take more time to rest on Sundays, but it's just not a viable option right now.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehh.. dont mean to open a can of worms, and a little voice in my head is saying to just leave it alone.. but one quick peak at other social groups threads and I see plenty of snarky and disrespectful comments towards people who believe in Christ. My rant was in response to some pretty disturbing comments made about Christians that were totally untrue and offensive.. guess I should turn the other cheek?

Lesson learned.

This is why I created this thread. For a place for us to come and feel safe. I don't want to bash anyone and I don't want anyone bashing us. I don't think that we should discuss any of this, though - there are lurkers who are watching. You, or anyone else, is free to PM me if you'd like.

I understand. It gets frustrating to be the brunt of jokes and comments on any board.

Ehh.. dont mean to open a can of worms, and a little voice in my head is saying to just leave it alone.. but one quick peak at other social groups threads and I see plenty of snarky and disrespectful comments towards people who believe in Christ. My rant was in response to some pretty disturbing comments made about Christians that were totally untrue and offensive.. guess I should turn the other cheek?

Lesson learned.

Ladies, I am afraid that we need to be careful with our words and deeds, especially related to other threads. Sometimes it's too easy to think we're in our own little cocoon, forgetting that the world watches us VERY closely, just waiting for us to slip up.

Yes, we have to be careful what we say here as well as in other places on the boards. If you have something to say, PM me or whoever else you'd like, but be careful what you post.

I honestly couldn't care less what other people are saying on other threads. If they are bashing us, so be it. What we need to make sure of is that we do not discuss ANYthing or ANYone on any other thread unless it is via PM. Our thread will be completely clean of anything the enemy can use against us. And by enemy, we all understand that I mean the great deceiver, not any individuals on this board.

God Bless all of you, and may He bless our thread and our new cyber-friendships. =)

Okay, can I lighten this up a bit? I just saw

posted on another thread and I thought of the discussion here on old vs. new music (of course, I always want to chuckle at the term "old hymns" as used to mean a couple of hundred years old, LOL, but I digress ;)) .... here's "new music." Hee hee.

I'm taking a hiatus from the chat forum and won't be checking in for a while. I find that I'm getting way too involved in the discussions here, to the detriment of my duties at home. Hope to be back after a while, when I can tread into calmer waters.

Sometimes it's too much on line. Hope you're caught up and back soon.

I'm taking a hiatus from the chat forum and won't be checking in for a while. I find that I'm getting way too involved in the discussions here, to the detriment of my duties at home. Hope to be back after a while, when I can tread into calmer waters.

Don't be gone long, we'll miss ya

Chris - Praying... poor baby... who may never get to know life. :grouphug:

:grouphug: I find I really have to watch my time and choose threads to read/participate in carefully. Some that start or turn long I just have to pass over. I fully understand.

Edited due to OP wanting to delete later - still praying though.

Edited by creekland

Asking for prayer again. A little girl form my daughters dance studio was transported to Childrens after complications from a surgery in a local hospital. Just a scary situation.. praying for the little girls health and a feeling of peace for the parents. I know I would be going crazy if it was my child.

Asking for prayer again. A little girl form my daughters dance studio was transported to Childrens after complications from a surgery in a local hospital. Just a scary situation.. praying for the little girls health and a feeling of peace for the parents. I know I would be going crazy if it was my child.

I will be praying...

Today and yesterday have been so great due to some big answered prayers! God is so great and he continues to take care of us and provide for us. Two children I was praying for are alive and well today and I am just so thrilled! One being the boy from the hostage situation.. the other a complete miracle of a story.

Just so thankful for answered prayers. God is so great.

I don't often get to nap nor do I want to since I head to bed early to get up early. However, hubby and youngest (17) are napping as I type. ;)

We try to keep Sunday free (after church) as a day of rest or just puttering around doing whatever we want to do. I seldom cook other than reheating leftovers. Many meals are "help yourself" types, though we all actually eat together. I treasure these days and really miss them when we "have" to do something on a Sunday. I kind of think God knew what He was doing when he proclaimed a day of rest every seventh day! :thumbup:

:iagree:

I am reminded Mark 2:27: Jesus said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath".

Wow this thread is getting long. I just wanted to say Hi and that I am trying to stay up on everyone as much as possible. Praying for ya'll when ever I can.

Also, please pray for our AHG troop's Mother Daughter PJ Party this Friday night. It is always fun. 79 people sleeping in our church's youth room! Talent show, movies and crafts.

Jenn

Being a pastor's wife, Sunday morning and afternoon are one of our busiest times.

I

I can only imagine! I am thinking about your post about the communion run before church and having the stained tablecloths to wash afterward. Do you have another time besides Sunday as a dedicated time of rest? I know our church staff take a day off (if there is such a thing in ministry) another day during the week. With you being a pastor's wife along with the many other roles I am sure you fill, I imagine it is hard to find that time, but just wondering if there is some other time you get to rest.

I will say that getting up and getting everyone ready and out the door for church is tiring. By the time I get home and we have lunch, I am usually exhausted! We go back to church in the evening. If I miss resting/napping/relaxing in some way on Sunday afternoons, I am really tired. So I have tried to protect that time at home on Sunday afternoons. Difficult to do sometimes, but I try. I have often wondered if Saturday would be a better actual "day of rest" but then I probably wouldn't get very much accomplished if I took both Saturday and Sunday "off".

A few months ago, I got a Groupon for a service to digitize old cassette videos to DVD and sent 14 tapes away. I just got them back yesterday evening, and what a blessing they have been!! I didn't have the old camcorder anymore, so I actually haven't seen these videos in years - let's just say that I've spent my share of time the last 24 hours watching my kids grow up again! It's been awesome! Just watching my 4 year old jump up and down, saying "I love you momma!!" has warmed my heart so much. <3

I haven't been on much since yesterday, but I am praying for all of the prayer requests and for our little group. Hope you all have a wonderful evening!!

Do you have another time besides Sunday as a dedicated time of rest?

Not really. I do hope that someday I will but right now it hasn't been possible for me. Having said that though, I did get a nap in late Sunday afternoon. :001_smile: And every other Sunday I do a free workshop at the Y on therapeutic movement - sort of like very gentle yoga that is relaxing and well, therapeutic. So I do have some time of rest.

Hello Ladies. I am not able to keep up with this thread now while we are dealing with service plans, etc. for my brother. I just wanted to come back to thank you all for your prayers, and I wish God's blessings to be showered upon each one of you. I know our Lord will meet each one of you at your point of need. :grouphug:

Continuing to pray for you and your family, Sue.

I don't want to put any identifying info on a board anyone can read, so I am

just asking for prayers for my oldest,please? Thank you

Praying for your oldest and your family. Take care. :grouphug:

I am reminded Mark 2:27: Jesus said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath".

Yes, we've often thought about that. For us, it's certainly true. I don't think the day has to be any particular day (Saturday, Sunday, etc). People I know who need to work on Sunday often take a completely different day just to relax and break the "rut" one can get in with daily life.

Also, please pray for our AHG troop's Mother Daughter PJ Party this Friday night. It is always fun. 79 people sleeping in our church's youth room! Talent show, movies and crafts.

Jenn

Have fun and praying it goes well!

Hello Ladies. I am not able to keep up with this thread now while we are dealing with service plans, etc. for my brother. I just wanted to come back to thank you all for your prayers, and I wish God's blessings to be showered upon each one of you. I know our Lord will meet each one of you at your point of need. :grouphug:

:grouphug: Thinking of you and praying all goes smoothly with the "nuts and bolts," then that you can have some peace with the "new normal" of life. Take care.

Good morning! I have trouble finding time to come post here.

Would like prayers please. We have been part of a small church for many years. I met the pastor at a Christian group thing years before we ever lived close to his church. We are the youngest in the church. Only a few other kids(younger than mine). So we have Sunday service and that is it. I am torn about kids programs. My ds will say he doesn't want one. I have a lot of reservations about youth groups and being his age i know that's the next step. So staying makes sense. But the church as a whole seems to have lost it's fire. Less hand raising. Less moving testimonies. Less people there and it's noticeable.

I love the sermons. Music depends on who's singing that day. A lot of things I liked have changed. My heart is torn. The family doesn't care about going anymore either. So it's obvious I am not the only one feeling something is amiss in our church life. But none of us really want to leave and do the bigger church options either.

We have home churched before. I need prayer that God lead us to where we should be to learn more about Him and find more service opportunities. My pastor has seen us leave and come back before, so he's patient with my troubled heart. Would like intersession here in hopes God will speak louder than I can hear right now. thanks

Lesson learned.

I don't go over there at all, except that one time to see what it was all about (to see how they think). I thought what I saw was just so sad.

Don't go there. I learn not to open threads that 1) will annoy me, 2) will take time away from my family. Listening to the news is bad enough.

They're already rebelling against God. It's almost a cliche of excuses. Nonetheless, there's a reason we have our own groups, as to be around like mindedness. I would not want their interceptions here, otherwise we'd just keep the regular chat threads. All you can do is pray for them.

Just out of curiosity.

At what age would you start getting your Dd involved in helping you at a women's homelsess shelter? We wouldn't be working directly with the guests but doing more behind the scenes housekeeping type work.

Depends on a couple of things. Where is the shelter located? Most shelters I've worked with have been in areas that aren't the safest to walk around. What kind of housekeeping work? A five year old, for example, might not actually be all that much help. Pans etc. can be industrial size, so can appliances like dishwashers.

Depends on a couple of things. Where is the shelter located? Most shelters I've worked with have been in areas that aren't the safest to walk around. What kind of housekeeping work? A five year old, for example, might not actually be all that much help. Pans etc. can be industrial size, so can appliances like dishwashers.

It's not in the best area of town, but there's parking directly on site and you have to be buzzed in by the security guard. So I feel safe.

Mopping, cleaning toilets, shining mirrors, folding linens, organizing donations, etc.

I'd be working directly with her. She's 7.5

Tess, I will be praying God will be speaking to you and your family. I wonder if you have been praying for your church home. All churches have that aspect of humanness within them and need constant prayer. Perhaps talk to the Pastor and suggest some prayer meetings to unite people in a love for the church. I'm probably quite off the mark with this one, so if I am, please accept my apologies. We have people who attend our small church who worry about the small stuff like the music, and what other people are doing etc, and it makes me sad that they focus on those things and not on worshiping our wonderful and awesome creator. I spend time in church during prayer time, praying for anyone whose heart is not turned to God (not saying that your heart isn't turned to God, but you mentioned numbers dropping).

With regard to children's programs, we don't have anything like that at church and it doesn't bother me in the least. The children are brought to the front and given a child-sized version of what we get later and then colour in one corner of the room while the main message is given. So they still hear it, but they can choose to take notice or not. My oldest daughter would like to attend a group that another church does, but I'm not certain I want her going, as we left that church and I'm not convinced they will get any biblical teaching at all, it seems to be activity based, but I'm reserving my judgement as they have just had some big changes with in the leadership of that side of things.

BigMamaBird, I would probably wait until she is about nine. Only because at about nine my girl's ability to clean properly increased immensely and their stamina to do it increased around that age. And this is despite doing chores since they were the size of peas (well, not quite :001_smile: ). You are the only one who knows what your daughter would be able to handle though. I will be praying that you come to a conclusion that brings peace to your heart.

Just wanted to say hey and I've been reading and remembering all the prayer request - It has got me thinking about the reason for prayer. Why do we pray? Do we only pray for help? Do we pray to worship and thank the Lord? I've read that many think that prayer to a deity we can't see makes us weak or delusional.

I'm a pretty strong willed person and really don't like to depend on anyone. I guess you see from my earlier post about my conversion if was letting go of my need to control everything that lead me to a spirit-filled life.

I know you ladies feel different. I know that no matter how upset I am prayer gives me peace

I wonder if any of you have had a "prompting from the holy spirit to pray" I'm not sure if that the best way to explain it. I've had this happen several times "out of the blue" THe most recent was early this morning. I had this women who I knew as a young girl we churched and went to school to together. I haven't seen, talk or though about he in 25 years. I just had this overwhelming need to pray for her peace and comfort. I don't know anything about her present life. I may never no why but because of previous experiences I wonder if she is sick or dying.

THis happen before about 10 years ago. I had a girl I went to school with she and I didn't get along. The girl pretty much bullied me one summer. I saw her at the store or something a few times after graduation but then not since so some 10 year later - I was woken up with this over whelming need to pray for her. I mean honestly I didn't like this girl in school we werent' friends but I just felt like I should pray for her peace, comfort, pain. I did for several hours that night before I felt release (lifting of the burden) I don't know if I'm explaining it right. Then the need was just gone. I went back to my hometown for christmas that year and found out she died that night (that I was praying) of breast cancer.

welcome to my wondering, rambling mind today

I hope today his full of peace and joy for you. I'm off to work in the yard on this beautiful sunny spring like day. God Bless you!

I will continue praying for you and your family, Evergreen Sue! God Bless.