Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Bible Believing Conservative Christians

caroljenn

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just talked to my Dad. He was in very good spirits and is laughing and joking around. That made me feel much better! Medically I guess we'll know more on Tuesday.

Glad to read the good news!

*sigh* I could use some prayers over this situation: http://forums.welltr...5yo-sons-phone/

I have been praying for wisdom for you and your dh and for your ds to be receptive to you and honest with you. I have prayed that God would give you the words to say and that His Spirit would bring about good communication between you all.

Just talked to my Dad. He was in very good spirits and is laughing and joking around. That made me feel much better! Medically I guess we'll know more on Tuesday.

Glad to hear this, Jean!

I am wanting some input.

I'm wanting to know if this situation would warrant removing your teen from a church class setting. One of my teens has been in a church class setting with a female teacher, and this teacher has repeatedly shown favoritism towards the wealthier, more popular kids. She will in turn ignore those who aren't part of the "in" crowd. Also, she is repeatedly, repeatedly offering up her opinion on a topic that we have approved. She speaks it for all the teens because she doesn't agree with what we are doing in a certain situation. There is nothing in the Bible that speaks against this choice...it really is one of those areas we are free to choose for ourselves. After prayer, my husband and I just happen to disagree with her opinion. When she pushes, she really is just pushing her opinion. Over the past few months in this class setting, the issue has been brought up repeatedly, during time when God's Word is supposed to be being studied. Instead, a discussion will ensue where she pushes her opinion on this issue. My teen is frustrated.

My teen recently brought a friend to a group setting with our church. The friend was treated horribly by a group of three teens. One of them was texting the female teacher above and telling her how much she loathed this friend my child had brought. Another of my kids saw this and heard the kid in question talking about how she was texting Mrs. so and so and telling how much she couldn't stand my child's friend. To me, that says the teen has a practice of doing that. I cannot imagine my teen feeling the freedom to gossip to another adult about someone like that. So basically, I have three issues. If I take this teen out of this class, it will likely cause a stir. I avoid stirs. But I don't want this type of "spiritual" leadership. Am I overblowing these issues? I know I'm kind of cryptic about it all, but I don't want anyone I know reading this and knowing the situation.

My kids left over less than this.

This is inappropriate and borders on bullying, if not actual bullying.

I would bring it to church leadership immediately!

We actually left our last church. The girls were very caddy and wore skimpy, skimpy clothing and seemed to almost be flirting with the youth pastor. It was sickening.

Then we received a letter from the youth leader saying that they were dealing with teens who had admitted to drugs, alcohol, sex, etc...in their PS settings. There was no solution or resolution given. Just the facts.

When my kids get their highest worldly influence at CHURCH, there is something wrong. They begged not to have to go back and we decided we wanted an environment where our kids actually WANTED to go to church.

Dawn

I am wanting some input.

I'm wanting to know if this situation would warrant removing your teen from a church class setting. One of my teens has been in a church class setting with a female teacher, and this teacher has repeatedly shown favoritism towards the wealthier, more popular kids. She will in turn ignore those who aren't part of the "in" crowd. Also, she is repeatedly, repeatedly offering up her opinion on a topic that we have approved. She speaks it for all the teens because she doesn't agree with what we are doing in a certain situation. There is nothing in the Bible that speaks against this choice...it really is one of those areas we are free to choose for ourselves. After prayer, my husband and I just happen to disagree with her opinion. When she pushes, she really is just pushing her opinion. Over the past few months in this class setting, the issue has been brought up repeatedly, during time when God's Word is supposed to be being studied. Instead, a discussion will ensue where she pushes her opinion on this issue. My teen is frustrated.

My teen recently brought a friend to a group setting with our church. The friend was treated horribly by a group of three teens. One of them was texting the female teacher above and telling her how much she loathed this friend my child had brought. Another of my kids saw this and heard the kid in question talking about how she was texting Mrs. so and so and telling how much she couldn't stand my child's friend. To me, that says the teen has a practice of doing that. I cannot imagine my teen feeling the freedom to gossip to another adult about someone like that. So basically, I have three issues. If I take this teen out of this class, it will likely cause a stir. I avoid stirs. But I don't want this type of "spiritual" leadership. Am I overblowing these issues? I know I'm kind of cryptic about it all, but I don't want anyone I know reading this and knowing the situation.

We are staying home this morning. Two of us are trying to get over colds and now a 3rd family members has it. Three people still sleeping and we would have had to get up over an hour ago to make it. I feel they need their sleep.

We will still plan to go tonight, after everyone has rested, although may leave the 13 year old home depending on how he is feeling when he wakes up.

Dawn

Texas T,

I would take my teen out of that situation. I was bullied in my youth group as a kid and no one did anything about it. It near drove me from the faith because I thought "If this is how Christians act, I want nothing to do with it!" At the very least, take her out and explain to your senior leadership why you've done it. I might even go so far as to consider finding another church which is more welcoming of my family.

Texas T, I would also take my teen out of the class.

Then there are two ways to go, in my experience. There is the easy way - just leave quietly and find somewhere else And there is the hard way, which (sigh) I always end up choosing. I would go to the leadership of the church (which I realize varies from church to church, often depending on the size). and I would tell them that the Word of God is not being taught. I would tell them that decisions which are a matter of individual and family application are being taught as legalistic requirements (if not of salvation then at least as being a "good Christian".) I would tell them that the teacher is encouraging bullying and gossip and is engaging in it herself. Personally, I would not have my child rejoin the class if that teacher were still teaching because this teacher seems spiritually immature. Whether I stayed at the church would depend a lot on how the leadership responded to that meeting. I would hope and expect that they would investigate the situation and would take it seriously. I would hope that they would allow the teen to join you in adult classes or church without prejudice or allow her to move to another class even if it is helping out in a class for younger kids until the situation was resolved.

I've tried to memorize the book of James in the past but have an awful memory! If I can hear though, it I can usually remember it. So for Lent I'm going to give it another try. In my search for some audio files I found this. You can download for free, audio files of a non-dramatized KJV Bible, chapter by chapter off of Amazon.com.

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.co...album_4?ie=UTF8

They have the whole New Testament, chapter by chapter. Thought some of you might find this helpful or interesting.

Have a great and restful Sunday!

What about finding it put to music? I can memorize much easier with music.

Dawn

I've tried to memorize the book of James in the past but have an awful memory! If I can hear though, it I can usually remember it. So for Lent I'm going to give it another try. In my search for some audio files I found this. You can download for free, audio files of a non-dramatized KJV Bible, chapter by chapter off of Amazon.com.

Here's the link:

They have the whole New Testament, chapter by chapter. Thought some of you might find this helpful or interesting.

Texas T, that sounds awful. I would definitely talk to whomever you need to to get it resolved. Your kids shouldn't have to put up with that. In church no less! You are not overreacting at all.

Great sermon today. Guest pastor who is on the young side & it wasn't as polished as it could have been but the message came through loud & clear. It was on Micah 6:8 "He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"

We sang this song. I hadn't heard it before but it was really pretty.

Here's the link:

We are memorizing the book of James but in the NASB. I wonder if Amazon.com has it in that version. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for sharing!

Here's the link:

I have been working on the book of James! I took it as a challenge after doing Beth Moore's bible study on the book of James. I only have the first chapter down though. It's a slow going process.

I have other verses memorized by song because I had bought dd the sparks AWANA verses song cd a couple of years ago. The verses stuck really well. The only problem is when I need to say them to somebody, I have to translate out of song or end up singing them to people. :lol:

I am wanting some input.

We had to leave a youth group due to bullying by nice Christian home schooled girls. :( Fortunately it wasn't our church but it impacted many personal relationships. I'm sorry this is happening to you. If it were at my church I would sit in during class and talk with the pastor. If it looked ugly I would look elsewhere. :grouphug: I thought of starting a band called, "Snotty Christian Girls." This is even worse since an adult is involved.

Since so many others are coming out of lurkdome to say hi, I will too. This is the group where I belong.

I'm excited to see some of you memorizing James. Our ladies Bible study will be doing Beth Moore's James study in the spring, and we're going to memorize James together. I'm a little intimidated by the project. I can barely memorize the short verses I have to do for the study we're going through now!

Since so many others are coming out of lurkdome to say hi, I will too. This is the group where I belong.

I'm excited to see some of you memorizing James. Our ladies Bible study will be doing Beth Moore's James study in the spring, and we're going to memorize James together. I'm a little intimidated by the project. I can barely memorize the short verses I have to do for the study we're going through now!

:seeya:

I love Beth Moore! I haven't done a Beth Moore study in a while. I wanted to do the one on James this year alongside my kids (doing the Boy, Have I Got Problems by Kay Arthur) but it hasn't worked out. It was offered at church a couple of years ago, but I couldn't take it then, and it hasn't been offered again. Hopefully it will come back around soon. I guess I could see if I could borrow it but not sure if I could put into it what I would need/want to at this time. Having that accountability group always helps.

Anyway, I wanted to say, "Hi!"

I love Beth Moore! I haven't done a Beth Moore study in a while. I wanted to do the one on James this year alongside my kids (doing the Boy, Have I Got Problems by Kay Arthur) but it hasn't worked out. It was offered at church a couple of years ago, but I couldn't take it then, and it hasn't been offered again. Hopefully it will come back around soon. I guess I could see if I could borrow it but not sure if I could put into it what I would need/want to at this time. Having that accountability group always helps.

I was in the Beth Moore study when I tried the first time! James is my favorite book and I was excited to find that she had a study for it.

Someone upthread mentioned the Kay Arthur book for kids and I"m seriously considering getting it for the kids.

I'm not Catholic but there was a priest on the news this morning talking about a Lenten Challenge that he's got on his website. He's encouraging people to try to do something to improve their mind, body and soul over Lent. And not just "oh, I'm going to give up candy. But, what are you going to add in the place of it." So what I'm going to do is commit to being serious about daily exercise for my body and for my soul, instead of listening to rock music on my iPod like I usually do, I'm going to listen to the book of James and Praise music. Should be fun!

This is the Father's website if anyone is interested: http://fatherjonathan.com/lent_2013.html

I love Kay Arthur, too! I'm doing her inductive Bible survey on Acts for my morning devotions. It's not as deep has her precept studies, but it's really helping me gain a deeper understanding of Acts. I'd like to try to do all of her books, so I eventually cover the whole Bible, but we'll see how that goes. I always have grand plans...

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

We had a fantastic Chinese New Year Celebration at our church this evening. Lots of food and a very well put together show of various age performers in the church. There were about 800 people who came!

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

We had a fantastic Chinese New Year Celebration at our church this evening. Lots of food and a very well put together show of various age performers in the church. There were about 800 people who came!

That sounds really fun. I miss Chinese New Year in New York City.

I am wanting some input.

I would take it to the leadership. I don't think that is an appropriate way for a teacher to act. How old is this teacher? Is she just a bit older than them and perhaps trying to be friends with them and be liked rather than take a leadership role?

Hopefully the leadership will respond in a way that works for you. Otherwise I would remove them from the class. What sort of class is it? Like Sunday School or something? (Sorry, I'm not clear on how other churches work - our church, for example, has Sunday school on Sundays at 9:30 before our regular service at 10:30; youth group on Wednesday night at 7 with their own service...) If it's a Sunday School type thing, and it doesn't work out well, I wouldn't leave a church over it or anything, I would just find somewhere else for the kids during that time, either helping out somewhere else or something like that.

DH and I used to lead a small group for junior high students. They would ask us about things that were 'gray areas' and we would give our opinion for ourselves, but wouldn't say it had to be that way or preach on it, so to speak. I think that it's ok to share her opinion IF ASKED but that she doesn't need to harp on it or try to say that she's right/so and so is wrong, etc.

I have a suggestion if everyone would be ok with it - for the posts that ask for prayers, how does everyone feel about 'liking' the post being equal to saying 'praying'? I know that's what a lot of people do on facebook, and I know that a lot of times I don't really have any other input besides just wanting to tell someone, 'hey, I'm praying for you'. I know there are probably others who feel the same way. Obviously there are other times where we have more input, but I just wanted to see if it was ok with everyone sort of generally on the group if that was understood - on a post asking for prayer, that a 'like' would be 'praying'. Is that ok? :)

I am wanting some input.

My kid's heels would be smoking I would get her out of there so fast. No need for any of that nonsense, and if you make a stir, so be it. Not standing up for what you believe in is much worse than offending someone who is not following God.

I would take it to the leadership. I don't think that is an appropriate way for a teacher to act. How old is this teacher? Is she just a bit older than them and perhaps trying to be friends with them and be liked rather than take a leadership role?

Hopefully the leadership will respond in a way that works for you. Otherwise I would remove them from the class. What sort of class is it? Like Sunday School or something? (Sorry, I'm not clear on how other churches work - our church, for example, has Sunday school on Sundays at 9:30 before our regular service at 10:30; youth group on Wednesday night at 7 with their own service...) If it's a Sunday School type thing, and it doesn't work out well, I wouldn't leave a church over it or anything, I would just find somewhere else for the kids during that time, either helping out somewhere else or something like that.

DH and I used to lead a small group for junior high students. They would ask us about things that were 'gray areas' and we would give our opinion for ourselves, but wouldn't say it had to be that way or preach on it, so to speak. I think that it's ok to share her opinion IF ASKED but that she doesn't need to harp on it or try to say that she's right/so and so is wrong, etc.

I have a suggestion if everyone would be ok with it - for the posts that ask for prayers, how does everyone feel about 'liking' the post being equal to saying 'praying'? I know that's what a lot of people do on facebook, and I know that a lot of times I don't really have any other input besides just wanting to tell someone, 'hey, I'm praying for you'. I know there are probably others who feel the same way. Obviously there are other times where we have more input, but I just wanted to see if it was ok with everyone sort of generally on the group if that was understood - on a post asking for prayer, that a 'like' would be 'praying'. Is that ok? :)

Great idea!! It will be our own secret code. :party:

Hi all! This is my first time posting in this social group. I haven't read through all of the posts yet (445 including mine!), but I would like to. I do have a question, which I had planned to post as a thread in the Chat Room, but when I saw this group I thought I'd try here first!

I am protestant and would love to celebrate Lent this year. Anyone have any favorite Bible Studies or devotionals specific to Lent?

Thanks!

I am protestant and would love to celebrate Lent this year. Anyone have any favorite Bible Studies or devotionals specific to Lent?

Thanks!

This isn't protestant (but then again, neither is Lent, LOL), but this is the book I read each year before the six-week season begins. It's really, really good.

I am wanting some input.

What does your teen want to do? How would they want to see the situation fixed?

Have you tried talking with the teacher? How does she respond?

Have you tried talking with the leadership? How do they respond?

Pending answers to the above, my suggestions would be different. Sometimes it's better to flee and sometimes it's better to try to stay and fix what is broken.

I would NOT leave without speaking to anyone. Leaving a bad situation as it is without trying to fix it is just not right. If you try and they don't give a hoot (or support what is going on), then you can shake the dust off your shoes and move on. If your teen wants out, I'd let them - even if you're still working on fixing.

Ok, I have an appointment for 3:45 tomorrow. I was trying to hold out for insurance but I can't handle this anymore. :( I'm uninsured right now and been fighting with insurance companies for months. I was denied regular insurance. Right now I'm trying to get on a special insurance for people who have been denied.

What does your teen want to do? How would they want to see the situation fixed?

Have you tried talking with the teacher? How does she respond?

Have you tried talking with the leadership? How do they respond?

Pending answers to the above, my suggestions would be different. Sometimes it's better to flee and sometimes it's better to try to stay and fix what is broken.

I would NOT leave without speaking to anyone. Leaving a bad situation as it is without trying to fix it is just not right. If you try and they don't give a hoot (or support what is going on), then you can shake the dust off your shoes and move on. If your teen wants out, I'd let them - even if you're still working on fixing.

My teen is angry and is planning on approaching one of the mean kids and confronting the poor behavior. The friend my teen brought along is a confident Christian with a great home life. But after thinking about it, the realization hit that the friend could very well have been needy or looking for support or have any number of issues that could have made this a very hurtful experience. We're still in the discussion/prayer phase about me approaching leadership. I looked for the teacher at church to discuss this with her, but wasn't able to talk to her. I will ask her the next time I see her. My experience with this youth group is that the youth leader provides good teaching but doesn't hammer down on gossip the way I think it should be. I'm giving myself a few days to pray through about my response. I don't think it needs an immediate one, and the decision has already been made about my teen going into that class anymore...we're finished!!

My teen is angry and is planning on approaching one of the mean kids and confronting the poor behavior. The friend my teen brought along is a confident Christian with a great home life. But after thinking about it, the realization hit that the friend could very well have been needy or looking for support or have any number of issues that could have made this a very hurtful experience. We're still in the discussion/prayer phase about me approaching leadership. I looked for the teacher at church to discuss this with her, but wasn't able to talk to her. I will ask her the next time I see her. My experience with this youth group is that the youth leader provides good teaching but doesn't hammer down on gossip the way I think it should be. I'm giving myself a few days to pray through about my response. I don't think it needs an immediate one, and the decision has already been made about my teen going into that class anymore...we're finished!!

It sounds like your teen is very mature and wise. I think I'd be responding similarly to you.

Hi all! This is my first time posting in this social group. I haven't read through all of the posts yet (445 including mine!), but I would like to. I do have a question, which I had planned to post as a thread in the Chat Room, but when I saw this group I thought I'd try here first!

Thanks!

I don't have any suggestions for Lent, but wanted to say, "Hi!"

I love Kay Arthur, too! I'm doing her inductive Bible survey on Acts for my morning devotions. It's not as deep has her precept studies, but it's really helping me gain a deeper understanding of Acts. I'd like to try to do all of her books, so I eventually cover the whole Bible, but we'll see how that goes. I always have grand plans...

:laugh: Me too!!! I was going to memorize the book of Colossians this past year along with doing the Kay Arthur precept on Colossians. I did the Kay Arthur precept and got halfway through memorizing Colossians then got sidetracked. I need to get back to it. God taught me so much through studying and memorizing Colossians!!! I started making some great plans to memorize more of the epistles while studying them simultaneously, using Kay Arthur for the study. I think I need to just do one at a time and quit all my grand planning!! :smilielol5:

About the James Kay Arthur study for kids, my 3rd grader did it last semester and really liked it. We are going to move on and do another one. I did one on John for my older ones when they were kids, and it was very good. I did it along with them and learned so much!

I love Beth Moore too, and would really love to do her James study!!

We're conservative, Bible believing Protestants but every year I find myself looking forward to Lent. I know it's a Catholic observance, but taking a period of time to reflect on Jesus' sacrifice and really prepare spiritually for Easter has always been important to me.

This year in addition to my daily Scripture study, I'm going to try to memorize at least part of the book of James.

I can't be the only Protestant who does this. Does anyone else have any plans?

We're conservative, Bible believing Protestants but every year I find myself looking forward to Lent. I know it's a Catholic observance, but taking a period of time to reflect on Jesus' sacrifice and really prepare spiritually for Easter has always been important to me.

This year in addition to my daily Scripture study, I'm going to try to memorize at least part of the book of James.

I can't be the only Protestant who does this. Does anyone else have any plans?

I don't know anything about this site but this seems to be a good explanation of Lent (for Prostestants).

http://www.crivoice.org/cylent.html