Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest inoubliable

I've got more into the habit of crying. Better to cry than hit someone upside the head with a frying pan.

Words of absolute wisdom. I need to remember this for those days when I end up yelling. :(

I am usually in control of my emotions. I can hold off crying over most things by skewing it into laughter. But every so often I find I've bottled stress and tears up too long, and I have to schedule an evening to read or watch a tearjerker to let them out and have a good cry. DH hates it when I do that, he has an instinct that he needs to 'fix' me when he sees my tears, but after almost 13 years of marriage he is finally getting it into his skull that when I do that, I am fixing myself. Does still work better if I'm alone to have my catharsis, though!

Welcome, welcome! (It was the book recommendations from last night that drew you in, wasn't it? :smilielol5: ) I'm starting to really like the sound of Dallas. Texas gives me the heeby geebees on its own but Dallas sounds like a really nice place!

Most definitely the book. :smilielol5:

Welcome! :D

I am an emotional creature, but I keep it in check. I will laugh openly, but not cry openly. I hold it for when I'm alone. I admit I still cry, or at least well up a bit, when thinking of how much I miss my mother. Certain things will tug my heartstrings more than others. My public face is always in control, but I can't be like that all the time or I'd lose my mind completely.

Welcome, welcome! (It was the book recommendations from last night that drew you in, wasn't it? :smilielol5: ) I'm starting to really like the sound of Dallas. Texas gives me the heeby geebees on its own but Dallas sounds like a really nice place!

I'm sending you that book for Yule. :D

I just wanted to say "Hi!" I've been lurking here for a while, but felt compelled to actually register today. Secular, non-religious homeschooler here, smack dab in the middle of Texas, so you could say I'm a bit of an outsider. We have found a great inclusive playgroup, though, and we love it! The Dallas area isn't quite as conservative as maybe the rest of the state is. Though, I was born and raised north of San Francisco, so most places seem conservative to me. :D

Hey! I'm in Houston. We've also got a great inclusive group and lots of great secular hsing opportunities. I think Texas gets a much worse reputation than it deserves, all of the cities are more diverse and interesting than you'd think from listening to our governor bloviate.

Guest inoubliable

I'm sending you that book for Yule. :D

AHAHAHAHahahaha. You would! And then I'd record "Dramatic Readings by KK" and send you a CD to help ring in the new year. :laugh:

I cry when I am really mad, it stinks because it makes it hard to convey the fact that I'm angry, not sad or with hurt feelings. I also cry when I'm really overtired or sick. Friday night I was so miserable and tired I cried myself to sleep for no good reason.

I also tend to go into action rather than cry. My grandmother fell right before Christmas, I was shaking and my mouth was dry as a bone, but I grabbed the phone and her purse and went into director mode. I feel like it makes me seem cold sometimes, but there's no use in falling apart in the moment!

But, I cried off and on for months before we had to put our dog down. I knew it was coming and grieved while she was still with us. But at the end I fed her a breakfast of steak and green beans, helped my husband load her in the car, and stayed home. That was one case where I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it together, and I didn't want her last moments to be worried over me upset. I alternate between horrid guilt and relief at that decision.

I tend to cry when I get stressed. That seems to be my body's response to stress. It is SOOOOO embarrassing. A grown woman crying in the opticians (an hour away) because her contacts haven't been delivered. I'm glad I wasn't sectioned :glare: My boss know to just ignore the tears and hand me a tissue any more. It is just stress. So embarassing.

This is me. I started crying in the Apple store while arguing with them to replace my phone. The poor 20something guy must have thought I was a lunatic! And the tears didn't work anyway I still have a broken phone! My DD is the same way.

Yes, yes, it was definitely the book recs! ;)

Hey! I'm in Houston. We've also got a great inclusive group and lots of great secular hsing opportunities. I think Texas gets a much worse reputation than it deserves, all of the cities are more diverse and interesting than you'd think from listening to our governor bloviate.

Yes, we sure have our fair share of outspoken white conservative republican politicians, but Texas is so much more than that, thankfully. I was kinda scared when we moved here, but aside from the antiquated blue laws, we enjoy what we've got going on here. We lucked out - we moved here in 2001 to escape the insanity of the San Francisco dot-com wild ride. We had family here and the COL was decent, and that's all it took. DH and I have changed A LOT since then, but we feel we made a good decision. :)

I've never made it to Houston yet, if you can believe it!

Guest inoubliable

But, I cried off and on for months before we had to put our dog down. I knew it was coming and grieved while she was still with us. But at the end I fed her a breakfast of steak and green beans, helped my husband load her in the car, and stayed home. That was one case where I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it together, and I didn't want her last moments to be worried over me upset. I alternate between horrid guilt and relief at that decision.

:grouphug:

I just wanted to say "Hi!" I've been lurking here for a while, but felt compelled to actually register today. Secular, non-religious homeschooler here, smack dab in the middle of Texas, so you could say I'm a bit of an outsider. We have found a great inclusive playgroup, though, and we love it! The Dallas area isn't quite as conservative as maybe the rest of the state is. Though, I was born and raised north of San Francisco, so most places seem conservative to me. :D

Anyway, you can probably count me as about 10-15 of the thread views, ha!

I look forward to chatting with you all!

I was born and raised up by Dallas, lived in Austin a good bit, Houston, and now San Antonio. A few small towns in between. Texas is interesting. While known as red, we are definitely inching towards purple and it's all because of these awesome big cities and border towns. I'm not really up on Dallas politics anymore, but Houston I am, and I'm half in love with San Antonio's mayor (and his brother). And when you've lived so long in the city and go back to visit the small town you're from, it's like a foreign country almost. I can't completely complain since I acquired a husband in such a small place (gosh, they are grateful to find women they aren't related to!), but I could never live in a small town again. Except maybe Round Top. They have a Shakespeare festival every year and a cool library (incidentally set in one of those cute small town steepled churches).

I'm a crier. I cry happy tears as well as sad tears. I cry at weddings, when I read books, watch movies or even some tv shows. I still cry occasionally when I think of my mother (not every time I think of her), and she's been dead almost 5 years. I cry when our pets die. I cry over anything.

Some crying helps me get out stress or sadness so that I *can* deal with an issue. Most of the time though, it's just an emotional expression for me.

Guest inoubliable

""Heaven above, Hell below" We've been to outerspace. Where is it? Oh, it's not literal. It is in another realm. Makes sense."

I liked that one.

ugg, you guys totally lost me - or, i guess, i lost a coupla days.

i have never bought anything from rainbow resources.

i dont cry a lot, but i am glad i can cry some - when i was younger i thought i was not human because i never cried. otoh, i really wished i hadnt cried during my last review at work . . . i was so incredibly frustrated, i just lost it, and the poor dumb manager didnt know what to do at all.

i dont laugh much either tho. i think i used to laugh more. well, i guess thats why I watch the daily show - that makes me laugh

We used to live not too far from Round Top. My son went to art lessons in their library. The little old ladies working there were beautiful. I had an extremely religious Catholic friend at homeschool park days, who I eventully realized was a habitual liar and sociopath. She used to tell the wildest stories about her insane(literally) neighbor, who tried to seduce her kids and believed in aliens. Turns out--the art teacher in Round Top was the neighbor! She was a gentle, sweet lady who probably was a bit wiccan or pagan. I always wished I could tell her what her neighbor thought of her.

I really don't like Brenham, and that would explain your "used to live" If that's where you lived. :-P

We stopped for pie once, then wine in Round Top. I wanted to look at real estate right away, but it was just too far a commute. I generally dislike small towns because of the gossip, but I'd make an exception. Maybe.

Crying - that's something I do when I'm sick or overtired. Then I have no control and will cry with the best of them.

This thread is going at warp speed, but someone, somewhere on here said something that reminded me of my mom's bible thumping neighbors, and I just have to share this story. My mom is open-minded, she was raised Xtian, but she's not any more. I'd call her agnostic, I think. Anyway, she's an artist, a metal sculptor, and one Sunday after she moved into her new house, she was out in her backyard (in the South) painting one of her pieces. Her neighbors came out after church and asked what she was doing, so she told them. Neighbor shot my mom the stink eye, said, "I'm a firm believer in paint on Sunday, peel on Monday," turned her back and stomped off. They didn't speak again for years, because my mom works on Sundays either at home or art shows and it offends the neighbors. ...Recently, same neighbors had family over on a Sunday - to build a new shed! On Sunday night, my mom was trying desperately to find a friend to get out there in the dark with her and *take down that shed*!!! I couldn't believe it, my 70 something mom was determined to do this - it was hysterical. :)

Guest inoubliable

I did very lttle real logic work. We used a couple of workbooks when he was younger, though i don't remember the names. Geometry proofs came easy to him, so I guess I didn't ruin him. He's having a good time with a Teaching Company mathematical logic course now. I will also now confess to not teaching him sentence diagramming(Yuck). We didn't do copywork, either. He disliked Latin. Heck, I don't think we used the WTM much at all, though maybe this isn't the board to say that!

We picked up logic workbooks the first year - the kids went through them at breakneck speed. So we ordered the next books in the series. Done in less than a week. I dropped it the first year just a few weeks in. This year we scrambled to find something for an official logic workbook. Meh. Gave up on that. We have a...."logical" lifestyle, kwim? I think we'll be okay. Next year, DS12 will be picking up The Art of Argument and we'll start working through forming arguments and picking apart others' arguments by spotting fallacies. I am starting to think that may also come "naturally" and comfortably to my kids, though, since we already do that IRL with certain claims, you know?

We did sentence diagramming. I actually enjoyed that in school! LOL. My kiddos caught on fairly quickly and so we didn't touch it at all this year. Probably won't bother again with it, either. Didn't do copywork this year, either. Even SWB says you should only be doing copywork for as long as your kid is struggling with the basics of forming a sentence (usually into first grade, but not beyond second.) http://www.welltrainedmind.com/why-do-copywork-and-dictation Diction, too.

Guest inoubliable

Crying - that's something I do when I'm sick or overtired. Then I have no control and will cry with the best of them.

This thread is going at warp speed, but someone, somewhere on here said something that reminded me of my mom's bible thumping neighbors, and I just have to share this story. My mom is open-minded, she was raised Xtian, but she's not any more. I'd call her agnostic, I think. Anyway, she's an artist, a metal sculptor, and one Sunday after she moved into her new house, she was out in her backyard (in the South) painting one of her pieces. Her neighbors came out after church and asked what she was doing, so she told them. Neighbor shot my mom the stink eye, said, "I'm a firm believer in paint on Sunday, peel on Monday," turned her back and stomped off. They didn't speak again for years, because my mom works on Sundays either at home or art shows and it offends the neighbors. ...Recently, same neighbors had family over on a Sunday - to build a new shed! On Sunday night, my mom was trying desperately to find a friend to get out there in the dark with her and *take down that shed*!!! I couldn't believe it, my 70 something mom was determined to do this - it was hysterical. :)

Your mom is awesome. :laugh:

My husband has had way too much fun today riling the Southern Baptists up about gays and BSA. Those Baptists sure are a hateful group of people. :/ I'll have him send me the link to the article with the comments and I'll post it here.

LMAO!! Churches were throwing a fit when one of the Christian book stores decided to open on Sundays. They sure aren't lacking business though!!

Guest inoubliable

LMAO!! Churches were throwing a fit when one of the Christian book stores decided to open on Sundays. They sure aren't lacking business though!!

You almost have to respect Chik-fil-a for.... wait. No. No I don't.

Guest inoubliable

My husband has had way too much fun today riling the Southern Baptists up about gays and BSA. Those Baptists sure are a hateful group of people. :/ I'll have him send me the link to the article with the comments and I'll post it here.

What what what???

You almost have to respect Chik-fil-a for.... wait. No. No I don't.

I still won't go to that **** place, or the taco place that had huge political signs in front of it for a certain loser, and Applebees. Makes dieting easy when you become a more community conscious eater lol

Edited by Moderator
Some words attract the spambots!

I googled it. What a crock! I just went shopping for a troop and NONE of the them were sponsored by an SBC church. 0 out of about 10 troops in a heavily Baptist area. It looks like they have their own scout-like organization so what business is it of theirs what BSA decides?!? And what right do they have to dictate to other denominations that do sponsor troops and aren't homophobic what they should support. I'm sorry, this really ticks me off.

It's true, this thread does move at lightning speed.

Logic: We're using Critical Thinking Skills and I think that's enough. While I haven't made ds take Latin, we did touch on Greek and Latin roots.

BSA and denominations: I have to give props the the United Methodist church we belonged to before we let go of god. They did sponsor a Boy Scout and Cub Scout troop for a few years, but when they found out about the gay ban, they did not renew their sponsorship. The more liberal UMC churches do not turn anyone away and they don't practice discrimination. Granted, they want everyone to come to Jesus, but they really do mean everyone.

I googled it. What a crock! I just went shopping for a troop and NONE of the them were sponsored by an SBC church. 0 out of about 10 troops in a heavily Baptist area. It looks like they have their own scout-like organization so what business is it of theirs what BSA decides?!? And what right do they have to dictate to other denominations that do sponsor troops and aren't homophobic what they should support. I'm sorry, this really ticks me off.

Here's a breakdown of the religious organizations associated with BSA and number of members. Most of those organizations are anti-gay which makes me think BSA is going to back down.

http://www.scouting.org/About/FactSheets/operating_orgs.aspx

Ham v. Robertson

How interesting.

http://www.patheos.c...g-christianity/

Thanks for posting this. It made me laugh, which I needed. But thinking of the emotion posts from a couple of days ago, laughter is usually what I go to when I'm stressed rather than crying. So perhaps it stressed me out that I agree with Pat Robertson. Nah, it must have been somthing else, please let it be something else...

I did very lttle real logic work. We used a couple of workbooks when he was younger, though i don't remember the names. Geometry proofs came easy to him, so I guess I didn't ruin him. He's having a good time with a Teaching Company mathematical logic course now. I will also now confess to not teaching him sentence diagramming(Yuck). We didn't do copywork, either. He disliked Latin. Heck, I don't think we used the WTM much at all, though maybe this isn't the board to say that!

My ds hates Latin, but he's actually pretty good at it. Tough cookies for him. I'm a mean ol' witch who makes him do his Latin anyway. :tongue_smilie:

Ds hates the physical act of writing with. a. burning. seething. hatred. I let him type most things. Never did copywork. :tongue_smilie:

IMO, diagramming sentences might be useful for those who are not naturally grammatically inclined. :tongue_smilie:

For Logic:

Mindbenders series for younger kids

Art of Argument series for middle grades and up

Critical Thinking Co. books

Some people like the Traditional Logic books by Cothran, but they are published by Memoria Press. :thumbdown:

We got a new batch of preview books in at the library where I work a couple days a week. I thought these five titles might interest others here.

These first four -- what can I say? At least a couple will have you looking for your eyeballs on the floor because they'll have popped straight out of your head for all the eye rolling. At least a couple will fire up some good old fashioned outrage and indignation. One of them just made me absolutely sick at heart.

Here are the write-ups as they came in our posting:

THE GOD ARGUMENT: The Case Against Religion and for Humanism by A.C. Grayling (Publ.: March 2013)

Examining all the arguments for and against religion and religious belief - across the range of reason and motives that people have for being religious and how they stand up to scrutiny - this is a landmark book in the ongoing debate about the place of religion and secularism in our world. Thoughtfully provocative, intellectually expansive, "The God Argument" makes a powerful case that secular belief, free of religious dogma, allows for a much more compassionate and caring world view.

GOD REVISED: How Religion Must Evolve in a Scientific Age by Galen Guengerich (Publ.: May 2013)

Drawing upon his own experiences, Guengerich proposes that just as humanity has had to evolve its conception of the universe to coincide with new scientific discoveries, we are long overdue in evolving our concept of God. Gone are the days of the magical, supernatural deity in the sky who visits wrath upon those who have not followed his word. Especially in a scientific age, we need an experience of a God we can believe in - an experience that grounds our mortality, unites us in community, and engages us with a world that still holds more mystery than answers. Rev. Dr. Galen Guengerich serves as the senior minister in one of the largest Unitarian Universalist congregations in the U.S.

EVANGELICAL CATHOLICISM: Deep Reform in the 21st-Century Church by George Weigel (Publ.: Feb. 2013)

Drawing on a century of reforms, eminent religious scholar George Weigel shows that the Church will flourish not by adapting to the reigning culture, but rather by reshaping it. In the process, the Church must also reshape itself by reevaluating religious orders, reinvigorating lay organizations, and demanding more of its members.

THE CHILD CATCHERS: Rescue, Trafficking, and the New Gospel of Adoption by Kathryn Joyce (Publ.: Apr. 2013

Christian adoption activists have added moral weight to a multibillion dollar adoption industry intent on increasing the supply of adoptable children, both at home and overseas. This is a shocking exposĂƒÂ© of what the adoption industry has become and how it got there, told through deep investigative reporting and the heartbreaking stories of individuals who found that their own, and their children's, well-being was ultimately irrelevant in a market driven by profit and now, pulpit command.

And this last one is on education. I haven't finished reading it yet, but it is really good. There have been numerous threads on this forum about Finland re: education. This is a bit of a different take in that you get to see it through the lens of each of the students.

WHERE THE SMART KIDS ARE: How Countries Choose to Raise Smarter Kids (and How We Can, Too) by Amanda Ripley (Publ.: Feb. 2013)

Amanda Ripley follows three teenagers who chose to spend one school year living and learning in Finland, South Korea, and Poland. Through their adventures, Ripley discovers startling truths about how attitudes, parenting, and rigorous teaching have revolutionized these countries' education results. Ripley's astonishing new insights reveal that top-performing countries have achieved greatness only in the past several decades.

Enjoy!

Here's a breakdown of the religious organizations associated with BSA and number of members. Most of those organizations are anti-gay which makes me think BSA is going to back down.

http://www.scouting....ating_orgs.aspx

Somewhat surprisingly, the LDS seem to be softening their stand on homosexuality:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/guest-voices/post/with-new-latter-day-saint-web-site-a-gay-mormon-moment/2012/12/11/045d0354-438e-11e2-9648-a2c323a991d6_blog.html

If they can get the Mormons on board, I'm pretty sure BSA will change its policy because of the number of large, corporate donors they've lost over the issue. It's not great that it took Intel and UPS hitting them in their pocketbook to get them to react, but I do think they will update their policy.

WHERE THE SMART KIDS ARE: How Countries Choose to Raise Smarter Kids (and How We Can, Too) by Amanda Ripley (Publ.: Feb. 2013)

Amanda Ripley follows three teenagers who chose to spend one school year living and learning in Finland, South Korea, and Poland. Through their adventures, Ripley discovers startling truths about how attitudes, parenting, and rigorous teaching have revolutionized these countries' education results. Ripley's astonishing new insights reveal that top-performing countries have achieved greatness only in the past several decades.

Enjoy!

This is so weird. I looked for this book at Amazon and it's got a slightly different name and an AUGUST publication date in the US. It sounds really interesting and I'm bummed that it won't be out until 6 months later here.

Somewhat surprisingly, the LDS seem to be softening their stand on homosexuality:

http://www.washingto...991d6_blog.html

If they can get the Mormons on board, I'm pretty sure BSA will change its policy because of the number of large, corporate donors they've lost over the issue. It's not great that it took Intel and UPS hitting them in their pocketbook to get them to react, but I do think they will update their policy.

The Mormons, like most other religious groups, are back-pedaling as hard and fast as they possibly can.

It's hitting Mormon finances hard, particularly after their backing of Proposition 8 in CA with church money, and the fact that they've just built a billion dollar mall in Utah.

Mormonism is taking a huge hit.

It's not surprising at all to see the new mormonsandgays site. Mormonism is trying hard to go mainstream to stop the bleeding out of their funds. Just 5 years ago, my Mormon friends were telling me that even saying the word "gay" was inappropriate, and that "homosexual" was the only proper word because "gay" legitimizes it. Now one "has SSA" in the LDS church, and one can often be a "worthy" member, so long as they are celibate.

They are back-pedaling HARD, HARD, HARD.

I wouldn't be surprised if someday God sent them a revelation that same-sex marriage was now ok. He change polygamy after all, and blacks in their priesthood. The ugly history is being swept aside more quickly than can be believed. Any outsider can see it, if they're paying attention.

I taught at a predominantly Mormon high school last year, and I couldn't use a short story that even referred to a homosexual teenage character. When I told my students I supported gay rights, they were horrified.

I wonder how things are going to change for them when they learn about the "SSA" group at BYU, or watch videos like Gay Mormon comes out to family/friends. http://www.advocate.com/politics/religion/2013/02/20/watch-gay-mormon-comes-out-family-friends

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/guest-voices/post/with-new-latter-day-saint-web-site-a-gay-mormon-moment/2012/12/11/045d0354-438e-11e2-9648-a2c323a991d6_blog.html

I hope so. I can see Mormon support for letting each BSA group decide whether they let in gays but not a universal no discrimination rule that applies to all BSA groups.

THE CHILD CATCHERS: Rescue, Trafficking, and the New Gospel of Adoption by Kathryn Joyce (Publ.: Apr. 2013

Christian adoption activists have added moral weight to a multibillion dollar adoption industry intent on increasing the supply of adoptable children, both at home and overseas. This is a shocking exposĂƒÂ© of what the adoption industry has become and how it got there, told through deep investigative reporting and the heartbreaking stories of individuals who found that their own, and their children's, well-being was ultimately irrelevant in a market driven by profit and now, pulpit command.

Enjoy!

This one looks interesting. It had never occurred to me that adoption was looked at as another way to evangelize children. If you're fostering and adopting you're going to have quite a few children pass through your care. What better way to indoctrinate children who may never hear about Jeebus? Makes sense.

Guest inoubliable

This one looks interesting. It had never occurred to me that adoption was looked at as another way to evangelize children. If you're fostering and adopting you're going to have quite a few children pass through your care. What better way to indoctrinate children who may never hear about Jeebus? Makes sense.

That's worse than taking kids in simply for the payment the state'll give you for doing so, IMO.

Guest inoubliable

I need a curricula check. I'm trying to get together my final list of books and supplies needed for August and I just need another pair(s) of eyes to look it over. A lot of this is new stuff that I've never seen before but I understand it to be secular.

Seventh grade -

1. Math - TT
  2. Logic - The Art of Argument
  3. Spelling/vocab - Vocabulary Bridges and Vocabulary from Classical Roots A & B
  4. Literature - CHOLL
  5. Science - Story of Science - Newton at the Center
  6. History - HO Vol 2, A Young People's History of the U.S., and A People's History of American Empire
  7. Geography - Evan Moor
  8. Latin - Galore Park

Third Grade -

1. Math - TT
  2. Logic - ?? I don't think I even need a formal logic here, especially with this kid. If there's something cool out there for an 8yo, let me know.
  3. Spelling/vocab - ?? Not sure on this one. He's a natural speller and makes connections to words just from remembering Latin lessons.
  4. Literature - CHOLL
  5. Science - Mr. Qs Chemistry
  6. Geography - playing around on Seterra
  7. Latin - Galore Park

First Grade -

1. Math - MM1
  2. Grammar - FLL1
  3. Writing - WWE
  4. Spelling/vocab - ??
  5. Literature - CHOLL
  6. Science - Mr. Qs Life Science
  7. History - SOTW vol 1
  8. Geography - playing around on Seterra
  9. Latin - GSWL

Any input is appreciated. Added to all of that is, of course, documentaries from Hulu and Netflix, Horrible Histories DVDs and books, NaNoWriMo (and five other national Latin and/or Mythology exams for the older two), books on philosophy for the oldest, and Story of Science DVDs. Anything I can find with Bill Nye, David Attenborough, and Neil deGrasse Tyson is going on the list, too. A travel telescope, a chemistry set, and some geography games are on the list, as well.