Menu

library books and germs

ktgrok

I am usually NOT a germaphobe. I go barefoot outside, don't generally carry hand sanitizer, and feel the 5 second rule is fine as a guideline. My children ingest dirt and dog hair on a regular basis I'm sure. But today I had something happen that made me start questioning library books. We were in the restroom at the local library and the woman in the other stall was violently vomiting. Like, something awful. For a long time. I saw her come out and she seemed much too old to consider morning sickness likely. So yuck. And if she is at the library she is probably checking out books. Which she will get germs all over. We were so grossed out that we left straight away and used hand sanitizer (I didn't want to touch the same faucets as her.)

So...yeah. Anyone worry about germs on library books? Is that a valid concern in flu season? SO many people I know are sick, have sick kids, etc right now. There's a norovirus going around and the flu.

Didn't worry about it until now. :)

It does make me think of a Seinfeld episode where George Costanza needed to use the bathroom while he was at a Barnes & Noble type bookstore. He selected a book from the racks to take in with him to read. The bookstore "red flagged" the book and forced him to purchase it.

Erica in OR

The library books that we borrow sometimes are kind of dirty, so I gently wipe them down with a Lysol wipe. The plastic covering protects the bar code which makes it easier to do a quick swipe. Our library staff all wear gloves.

You could just borrow on the Kindle for awhile. I tend to do this due to the selection and font size.

I will say this, anyway: My ds is severely allergic to cats. There have been times when he has been affected by library books which have presumably been in homes with cats. So it wouldn't surprise me if the flu could be spread via books as well. (I realize that argument is not logically sound. ;) ) I like the idea of Clorox or some other kind of wipes for kids' books at least. I can't even count how many times I've picked up or checked out a sticky book.

We've had the stomach virus from a library visit. My fault, since I was getting a bit frustrated with my kids playing peek-a-boo during checkout, and I forgot to wash everyone's hands before having a picnic at the tables right outside. It was probably from the surfaces in the kids section, not the books themselves. DS3 was still in his "lick all the things!" stage at that point.

I'm moving more towards e-books because of the recent article shared here about bed bugs hiding in library books. That same week I checked out a Harry Potter book and every page was covered in nose mucus. I was so grossed out by both that we have since stopped our weekly library trip.

I've decided that for the upcoming school year we will buy most of our living books instead of borrow them.

When I think about it then I get skived out. So I try not to think about it. I really don't want to think about people reading library books while using the bathroom. Shudder.

You can wipe the covers but what about the actual pages? Hands touch each page. People pick their nose and turn the page. People cough into their hand and turn the page. People sneeze into their hand and turn the page. And so on.

Clearly you haven't met my kids... A great deal of our books have been licked and chewed on! And sneezed on and coughed on... Brought into the bathroom...

I guess we won't be going to the library any time soon!

I don't worry.

Many germs thrive in warm and moist surroundings - books are neither. Books are also not licked or chewed on.

I am usually NOT a germaphobe. I go barefoot outside, don't generally carry hand sanitizer, and feel the 5 second rule is fine as a guideline. My children ingest dirt and dog hair on a regular basis I'm sure. But today I had something happen that made me start questioning library books. We were in the restroom at the local library and the woman in the other stall was violently vomiting. Like, something awful. For a long time. I saw her come out and she seemed much too old to consider morning sickness likely. So yuck. And if she is at the library she is probably checking out books. Which she will get germs all over. We were so grossed out that we left straight away and used hand sanitizer (I didn't want to touch the same faucets as her.)

So...yeah. Anyone worry about germs on library books? Is that a valid concern in flu season? SO many people I know are sick, have sick kids, etc right now. There's a norovirus going around and the flu.

Library books are nasty. I work at a library, and I work very hard at not touching my face all day long. I've been very successful; I don't think I've been sick from the library once in the past four+ years. I work in the children's dept. The kids are great, but those that are counter high often rub their mouths, or lick, the edge of the counter. :eek: And when mom pulls them out of school midday due to illness, she brings them into the library to pick out movies and books to take home.

Do I worry? No, I can't. Am I careful. You bet. I think it's a valid concern. I refuse to use the public restrooms, and I use the handicapped door buttons to open doors (no touching!).

Our library staff all wear gloves.

Another poster said their library wipes down all books when they come in. We easily check in over 400 books a day on slow days, so this would be time and cost prohibitive for us. But I would LOVE gloves! I may have to bring this up at the next staff meeting!

:blink: :ack2:

This thread is NOT helping my issues!!

I know, right!?

There are checkout people at my Walmart that wear gloves. I think that's rather smart. I always feel a need to scrub my hands when I come home from shopping. I keep telling dd14, the only one in a public school, to not touch her face and wash her hands between classes when she can get to the restroom. Does hand sanitizer really help as much as washing hands?

I volunteered at a library as a teen. Generally I shelved and cleaned books. Habits like that die hard. I clean our books using a washcloth and warm water with a bit of dish soap and splash of white vinegar. You would be amazed at how disgusting the water is when I am done. I stand them upright to dry and air out overnight. A librian at our old library actually noticed that I always brought the books back clean and thanked me. I will be honest I say I don't enjoy reading books without clean looking covers.

On a side note when ds was little the pediatrican actually mentioned library books as a way he could have caught something. We had been quite isolated because of colds and he came down with something new. So shethought it was possible.