Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - Week three

Robin M

I just finished book 3,The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I think that was really popular here. I enjoyed it but didn't love it and I'm happy for anyone who wants to tell me why I'm wrong (politely). Part of my goal for this challenge is to get better at intelligently discussing literature.

I'm not starting a new book until next week in the hopes that I'll make some serious progress in Gotham and David Copperfield both of which I'm really enjoying.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished Unbroken yesterday, and I loved it! Raced through it to the detriment of all the other things I was supposed to be doing. :-)

If you don't mind another book about North Korea, I really liked Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden. This one kept me thinking about it for weeks afterwards. Here's the Amazon blurb:

In Escape from Camp 14, acclaimed journalist Blaine Harden tells the story of Shin Dong-hyuk and through the lens of Shin's life unlocks the secrets of the world's most repressive totalitarian state. Shin knew nothing of civilized existence-he saw his mother as a competitor for food, guards raised him to be a snitch, and he witnessed the execution of his own family. Through Harden's harrowing narrative of Shin's life and remarkable escape, he offers an unequaled inside account of one of the world's darkest nations and a riveting tale of endurance, courage, and survival.

Another one you might like is From Ghetto to Death Camp: A Memoir of Privilege and Luck by Timothy Braatz & Anatol Chari. It tells the story of a Polish Jewish man in WWII who became a ghetto policeman. Interesting - he doesn't sugar-coat his role in keeping himself alive. I didn't like it as much as the one above, probably because he wasn't the world's most likable guy, but who can I say I wouldn't have done the same?

Thanks for the recommendation! I saw that Camp 14 book and wondered if it would be more of the same. Have you read Nothing to Envy?

I posted last week about how much I loved Unbroken. He is still doing speaking engagements and is scheduled to be the keynote speaker at a local event in April. I've been asked to be sent the information when tickets go on sale. I just couldn't stop thinking about him, after reading that book!

Thanks for the recommendation! I saw that Camp 14 book and wondered if it would be more of the same. Have you read Nothing to Envy?

I posted last week about how much I loved Unbroken. He is still doing speaking engagements and is scheduled to be the keynote speaker at a local event in April. I've been asked to be sent the information when tickets go on sale. I just couldn't stop thinking about him, after reading that book!

When I saw your link to Nothing to Envy I clicked there and added it to my list. Looking forward to reading it!

That is so great that you can see Zamperini! I'm jealous! It was your post last seek that sent me to Amazon looking for Unbroken. I clicked on it, and it said that I'd already bought the book in 2010! I have a lot of books on my iPad and I didn't even know it was there. Thanks for the recommendation - fantastic book.

When I saw your link to Nothing to Envy I clicked there and added it to my list. Looking forward to reading it!

That is so great that you can see Zamperini! I'm jealous! It was your post last seek that sent me to Amazon looking for Unbroken. I clicked on it, and it said that I'd already bought the book in 2010! I have a lot of books on my iPad and I didn't even know it was there. Thanks for the recommendation - fantastic book.

Lol! I'm laughing at you having the book already :) Like we haven't all done that before! Heck, sometimes I've added the same book to my cart twice, and somehow don't catch it as I'm checking out so end up with two copies of various things. :blush5: Glad my recommendation proved fruitful for you. It took me a couple of days to recover from finishing the book. I just wanted to keep reading forever!

I have finally finished a book!!!! I do have 2 other ones already going & started another today, though, and will be finished another soon. I finally finished Reversing Religious Repression, and give it a 4 (trying to give numbers.) Great content, but rather visually distracting with all the font changes. My next book in the reading category for me (but not in the challenge--that first one fits in the inspirational one or whatever it's called--I'll look it up later) is The Language of God, by the head of the Human Genome Project.

I'm surprisingly bored with Irregular Portuguese Verbs, but will finish it as it's short. I like his kind of humour sometimes, such as in the First Ladies Detective Agency books, and liked is book about La's Orchestra, but won't finish this sereis.

I'm LOVING the unabridged version of Les Miserables since switching to a more modern translation. True, there are some slow parts, but I'm appreciating reading his entire novel & what he was trying to convey without it being reinterpreted by the abridger who picks & chooses what stays in.

I have a growing pile of books to read and am already so very far behind. :ack2:

Also, I inadvertently saved over my Book a Week 2012 list and it's gone!!! I couldn't retrieve it in any way. Guess it's time to try to figure out how do to backups with Word 2010.

I'm halfway through The Eyre Affair and I'm loving it. With names like Braxton Hicks and Jack Schitt, pet dodos and literature detectives how can one not?

So many people here like ths series and I wanted to like this series so much, I read through 4 books, but while the last one was better than the first 3, I didn't love it :). Too much violence, swearing (I already swear more often than I like as a carryover from high school & hate it--reading it or hearing it makes it worse,& I hate reading it), antagonists that were just too bizarre for me to appreciate and too many crazy things squished into one novel series :).

Last week I had planned to read Pride and Prejudice but couldn't seem to get started, so I switched to The Handmaid's Tale instead. I have read it before but it always leaves me feeling a bit disturbed. The way society gets restructured makes me uncomfortable but how Offred's daughter is taken from her really upsets me. I always end up crying. DH suggests that perhaps I get a little too involved in my books! I tell him that's the only way I can read! I also finished How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk. I liked it and think I may start a separate thread to talk about it with anyone else who has read it. This week I am reading On the Beach by Nevil Shute, I read this in high school and liked it so much that my English teacher gave me her copy. I recently ran across it and decided to reread. Also have managed to start Pride and Prejudice. I reread it every couple of years and this is the firat time ever that I had a hard time getting going.

The last time I tried Pride & Prejudice it seemed slow for the first half, and I was quite disappointed because it's the only novel I've read so often, even though I'm not a big Austen fan. I've never read Nevel Shute, at least not that I can remember. Of course I completely forgot that I'd read The Good Earth before rereading it.

Holy mackeral. I've read that authors WANT you to use their cover art/promo thier books.

I'm sure most do if it's a good review or advertising for their books.

I just finished book 3,The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I think that was really popular here. I enjoyed it but didn't love it and I'm happy for anyone who wants to tell me why I'm wrong (politely). Part of my goal for this challenge is to get better at intelligently discussing literature. I'm not starting a new book until next week in the hopes that I'll make some serious progress in Gotham and David Copperfield both of which I'm really enjoying.

You're not wrong for not loving that novel even though many of us did. I didn't expect it to be great, just good, and liked it better than I expectd to. I actually hate some books that people here love and don't feel wrong at all :).

I enjoyed Annie Solomon's romantic suspense novel Black Out which I finished yesterday. I'm frequently a sucker for a story involviing amnesia. I'd previously read and enjoyed the author's Blind Curve in which the hero suffers an injury that causes him to lose his sight.

Currently reading a science fiction novel, An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why) by Jean Johnson. This is not my usual genre; however, I had picked up book one of this series A Soldier's Duty because I'd previously enjoyed the author's romances and found I liked it. I'm enjoying this one, too.

Regards,

Kareni

I just finished book 3,The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I think that was really popular here. I enjoyed it but didn't love it and I'm happy for anyone who wants to tell me why I'm wrong (politely). Part of my goal for this challenge is to get better at intelligently discussing literature.

You're not wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I don't know if I'd say I loved it or that it was great. I enjoy historical fiction. I think anyone who doesn't would have a hard time with that book. The style is also tricky. I rarely like epistolary novels. I would say this one and Lady Susan were probably the only ones of that type that I really liked.

ETA: I'd have to go back through older threads to remember who it was (Jane?) who gave up on My Dear Charlotte. I think the reason I couldn't get into it is because of the epistolary style.

I have read both Nothing to Envy and Escape from Camp 14. They are different enough that I think they're both worth reading, though Escape from Camp 14 is not as compellingly written as Nothing to Envy.

Head's up, Well Trained Bloggers. I had the wits scared out of me by a post I read last night about a blogger successfully sued for using a copyrighted image on her blog. When she was contacted by the owner about removing the image, she did so promptly but was still taken to court (and lost).

I wrote about it in this post. I am still not sure about the legality of posting/reposting cover art from books. What's the difference between copying or linking the image from Goodreads vs copying/linking from Random House? What about those folks who imbed Amazon images with the "See Inside" feature -- that's cover art plus pages and pages of copyrighted text? Is everyone emailing photogs and publishers for permission to reproduce and I am just that clueless? I guess even copying and posting images here at WTM could get you into trouble if you p.o.'d the wrong person.

Scary. I do not want to be sued for being an idiot. AggieAmy, can I get you on retainer?

Sure but I'm an engineer. I don't even play a lawyer on TV. :)

Amy, where are you?! I finished it this morning! :hurray:

1. The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan ****

Good for you. I'm still slowly plodding along. I had a few setbacks with book club books I had to read this week. When you say you finished it this morning to you mean after breakfast or do you mean 2 am? :)

I just finished Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand.

I LOVED it. It's the true story of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic track runner, who was shot down in WWII, survived a 2000-mile raft odyssey only to be picked up by the Japanese and held in POW camps. Very well written, and was a page-turner - I read the book in 2 days because I couldn't put it down. Luckily my homeschooling child was sick so we didn't have to school. :D

Adding to my "To-Read" list.

I finished listening to How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran. Definitely not rated PG. I don't normally read or listen to anything with that much cursing in it, but I did actually find it pretty interesting and thought-provoking.

I have this on my TBR list.

I finished Robin Hood by Howard Pyle last night. I learned yesterday that the story of Robin Hood doesn't have an original author. It's more like a legend, first record in the 1200s, possibly (or not) based on a real person. I had no idea. The book was okay. I enjoyed parts of it and some parts I became bored due to yet another fight.

I have this on my TBR list.

I finished Robin Hood by Howard Pyle last night. I learned yesterday that the story of Robin Hood doesn't have an original author. It's more like a legend, first record in the 1200s, possibly (or not) based on a real person. I had no idea. The book was okay. I enjoyed parts of it and some parts I became bored due to yet another fight.

According to my family history, we are descended from Little John, known for lurking around Nottingham. Either Robin Hood was real or Little John was a madman who spent too much time talking to himself, which might explain some of my extended family's issues. :p

I have read both Nothing to Envy and Escape from Camp 14. They are different enough that I think they're both worth reading, though Escape from Camp 14 is not as compellingly written as Nothing to Envy.

Thank you for that! I will keep Camp 14 on the back burner to come back to at a later date.

<SNIP> Also, I inadvertently saved over my Book a Week 2012 list and it's gone!!! I couldn't retrieve it in any way. Guess it's time to try to figure out how do to backups with Word 2010. <SNIP>

Have you considered using www.goodreads.com to track your books?

I finished Equator by Miguel Sousa Tavares today. As I know very little about Portugal & its colonies, I found this a relatively interesting historical novel. Lots of stereotypical characterization & uneven pacing, but neat/new-to-me historic info about the allegation of Portugal using slave labor on its SĂƒÂ£o TomĂƒÂ© and PrĂƒÂ­ncipe cacao plantations as late as the early 1900s. The Portuguese were challenged to prove otherwise by the British or face boycotts of their cacao exports....

Recommended for those who enjoy European &/or African historical fiction.

Also today, I ran by the library & perused the 000s section to find something for the Dewey Decimal challenge. I picked up a few things, but the book I started this evening is 1) not my typical fare and is 2) eminently entertaining so far: UFOs, JFK, and Elvis: Conspiracies You Don't Have to be Crazy to Believe by Richard Belzer. Though it has been many ages since I watched Oliver Stone's JFK movie, this book reminds me of it for some reason....

1. Confessions of a Prairie B!tch by Alison Arngrim - Hilarious book written by the actor who played Nellie Olsen on Little House on the Prairie.

I just got notification from my library that both The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and The Time Keeper are available for digital loan on my Kindle. I think I will start with Henrietta Lacks.

I really enjoyed Confessions of a Prairie ..... So funny and witty, but it was really sad in parts too. :(

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks was a great read as well, but it was so unbelievably sad.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks was a great read as well, but it was so unbelievably sad.

:iagree: I just read it last year, and highly recommend it. I can't even tell you how many times I stopped in the middle of reading it to tell my husband about something that happened or still happens. I just had to discuss it with someone, even someone who didn't read it. I think it would make excellent an high school science read, but sadly, I don't think it's something that ds would find interesting.

First library w/ no hardcover books set to open in TX later this year...

http://www.dailymail...open-Texas.html

That sounds exciting and very forward thinking. As they pointed out, it's not a replacement but an enhancement. I think it's great that they'll be lending actual e-readers.

I'm a fiction girl myself. I

Another fiction girl here.

Today I finished Nothing to Envy : Ordinary Lives in North Korea. It was amazing. I have a new and better understanding of the hell of North Korea. It's really heartbreaking.

Tammy, this was one of my favorites from last year. I absolutely love this book.

I haven't read Escape from Camp 14 or any other books on North Korea, other than Nothing to Envy. I have a few on my wish list. I heard about Escape from North Korea on NPR and it sounds very interesting also.

So many people here like ths series and I wanted to like this series so much, I read through 4 books, but while the last one was better than the first 3, I didn't love it :). Too much violence, swearing (I already swear more often than I like as a carryover from high school & hate it--reading it or hearing it makes it worse,& I hate reading it), antagonists that were just too bizarre for me to appreciate and too many crazy things squished into one novel series :).

I, too, wanted to like The Eyre Affair. It was one of the two books for last year that I was most looking forward to and was so disappointed in. That is the only one I read, though. I found it fell far short of clever for me. The premise was amazing, but it could have been so much more. I also agree about the swearing. Ugh. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Good for you. I'm still slowly plodding along. I had a few setbacks with book club books I had to read this week. When you say you finished it this morning to you mean after breakfast or do you mean 2 am? :)

After breakfast :001_smile: I get up at 5:30 a.m. to take my older dd to work. I can barely keep my eyes open past 10 for any book these days LOL. As it got toward the end of the book, I was reminded of why I like them so much. Keep plodding!!

Also today, I ran by the library & perused the 000s section to find something for the Dewey Decimal challenge. I picked up a few things, but the book I started this evening is 1) not my typical fare and is 2) eminently entertaining so far: UFOs, JFK, and Elvis: Conspiracies You Don't Have to be Crazy to Believe by Richard Belzer. Though it has been many ages since I watched Oliver Stone's JFK movie, this book reminds me of it for some reason....

I'm not doing the Dewey Decimal challenge but this book looks good! I'm full of my own conspiracy theories these days. :ph34r:

Started my re-read of The Handmaid's Tale last night. Like an old friend. :) Is it unhealthy that I love dystopia novels so much?? ;)

Since I can't stand dystopian novels, I would say yes :D Brave, New World - bleh! Hunger Games - shiver! The Handmaid's Tale - disgusting! So not for me. However, I do plan on trying Divergent. Dd says I might like it. Of course she is head over heels for the Hunger Games series (which I did not read, bad enough they forced me to watch the movie), so she may be wrong.

We truly do live in the heart of Robin Hood country. It is amazing to see how far flung the villages are that lay claim to him. We like to think he lived in our area because of the Roman Road to York but villages 50 miles west claim him too!

Tammy, this was one of my favorites from last year. I absolutely love this book.

I haven't read Escape from Camp 14 or any other books on North Korea, other than Nothing to Envy. I have a few on my wish list. I heard about Escape from North Korea on NPR and it sounds very interesting also.

Any other favorites to recommend Negin? We seem to like the same type of book :)

I clicked on it, and it said that I'd already bought the book in 2010! I have a lot of books on my iPad and I didn't even know it was there.

I'm so thankful for that feature. There have been several times it prevented me from buying a book I already own.

Unfortunately it only works if you're buying the same edition. Ask me how I know. :blush:

Guess what? I've already fallen a bit behind, but I will not give up! :) I have finished two books so far, and I currently have two I'm reading. One is Northanger Abbey, which I'm having trouble with for some reason. The other is a homesteading book about raising animals, since we are probably getting some chickens this spring.

I felt the same way. It was amusing and light but nothing special.

We truly do live in the heart of Robin Hood country. It is amazing to see how far flung the villages are that lay claim to him. We like to think he lived in our area because of the Roman Road to York but villages 50 miles west claim him too!

I visited Nottingham when I went to England in the 80's. There are some corny photos of me in front of the Robin Hood statue.

Unfortunately it only works if you're buying the same edition. Ask me how I know. :blush:

Uh-oh.

For some reason, I'm in the mood for poetry lately. Last night when I couldn't sleep, I started browsing. I came across this long poem by William Carlos Williams. Paterson. Though I'm somewhat familiar with WCW, I never heard of this.

Paterson is my hometown. My family moved to Florida in 1969, when I was 13. I've only been back maybe half a dozen times since then; the last time was in 1986. I am well aware that the Paterson of today would be unrecognizable to me. The Paterson of the poem is more like the one I knew. I checked my library and the branch closest to me had a copy on the shelf. I picked it up this morning and plan to try and read it. I'm not a huge fan of the long poem, so wish me luck.

This has been a very busy week which has included my youngest son's surgery to take out his tonsils, so I haven't done a lot of reading. I did, however, finish How to Read Church History by Jean Comby. It was a very interesting overview and I particularly appreciated the inclusion of so much primary source material. It will be a great jumping off point for further study. I did find her presentation of the Crusades a bit disturbing, in that she made it sound as if they were a bit of a reasonable thing to do. Of course, I suppose they would have seemed that way to people at the time. It is written from a Catholic perspective, so post-Schism most of the text is focused on the Western church.

This week I am continuing to read Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather.

So far:

1. The Memory Keeper's Daughter

2. How to Read Church History

Elaine

My Dusty Book Challenge may have to fall by the wayside for a few weeks. We are in the US and there is a LIBRARY!!! With Overdrive, but it's physical books I'm drooling over. Real books! For free!!

I don't think I can resist.....

I think yours counts as a legitimate excuse. :thumbup1:

Still reading short stories in Alice Munro's The View From the Castle Rock and rereading the rollicking Tom Jones. Oh, do I love this book! Then it happened. I was seduced by this thing called The Library.

At least one thing became clear. I have not yet decided on all five categories for the 5/5/5 challenge. As I reached for Will Allen's book The Good Food Revolution, I smacked my palm against my forehead. Of course! Sustainability! So I now have four categories: Old Friends, Dusty Books, Dorothy Dunnett and Sustainability. Nice review of Allen's book in the LA Times here. (Reading books on sustainability is really not a challenge for me. I am always reading them anyway. Is this cheating?)

Let me share a couple of lines from Alice Munro on her early adolescence:

It must have meant something, though, that at this turn of my life I grabbed up a book. Because it was that in books that I would find, for the next few years, my lovers. They were men, not boys.

Happy reading everyone!

For the Dewey Decimal Reading Challenge, I picked up UFOs, JFK, and Elvis by Richard Belzer (in the 000s section of the library). I finished the book & found it somewhat funny & entertaining. The JFK conspiracy stuff was mostly nothing new to me; I'm not as familiar with the various alien theories out there, so some of that info was new to me. Belzer covers various conspiracy theories, makes plenty of cynical/snide/funny interjections, & includes a bibliography of his source materials. Relatively fun if you're looking for a quick, easy overview of JFK & alien conspiracy info. (Isn't that kind of thing on everyone's reading list? LOL.)

My Dusty Book Challenge may have to fall by the wayside for a few weeks. We are in the US and there is a LIBRARY!!! With Overdrive, but it's physical books I'm drooling over. Real books! For free!!

I don't think I can resist.....

I know the feeling. We are heading back to the States next week. I already have books requested there! Can't wait and I do have a library here that I use all the time. I just have to request most things -- really small library part of big system. Which is hard work to research everything.

Enjoy your library while you have it and read lots of fun stuff!

I almost always read this forum while on my phone and so avoid replying to threads. I get so many great book suggestions from this ongoing thread (for years) that I really want to post this year. :)

So far I've read:

The Michelli Family Secrets Books 1 & 2: Secrets & Unforgotten

-really enjoying this series, more than I thought I would. I have book 3 waiting on my Kindle

Divergent

Insurgent

Eve

Once

- I really like these. I haven't read YA in so long .. Hunger Games made me realize there could be some great series. I'm glad I'm reading more. It gives me more suggestions for my teen daughter. I already pre-ordered the third book in this series.

Currently reading Betrayed by Jeanette Windle. It was a freebie. It's okay. Interesting enough that I'm still reading.

And not on my Kindle, currently reading The Red Tent. Really good so far.

I know the feeling. We are heading back to the States next week. I already have books requested there! Can't wait and I do have a library here that I use all the time. I just have to request most things -- really small library part of big system. Which is hard work to research everything.

Enjoy your library while you have it and read lots of fun stuff!

It's just so exciting! I have requests submitted and will get my library card renewed tomorrow. I don't have a library where I am overseas so this is just such a decadent luxury that I can't stand it!