Menu

The Giver

Luanne

Ds12 and I read the book last year. It was a great book to read together, and branched out into a discussion and exploration of dystopian and futuristic novels. It was a great experience, particularly discussing the ending and what we thought it meant. We're reading Gathering Blue right now, and it's been interesting to compare and contrast and speculate about the two different communities and what might have led to their formation.

Cat

See the video of the author's speech here, where she explains how she came to write The Giver.

http://www.theatlant...er-adult/56114/

Thanks so much for posting this. I loved hearing from the author herself about her thoughts on the ending. It was such a contrast to much of the clap-trap analysis I have seen on the web about how there is really only one interpretation of th ending - blah blah blah.

Back to the OP, I read The Giver with my older boys when they were middle school age. I think I will be reading it with my daughter this year or next. I read Gathering Blue - I liked it, but it didn't have the same power as The Giver (which, at the time, was a good thing for me as I was not in a place to deal with something emotionally wrenching.) I haven't read Son, but I plan to.

I just watched the video that RC linked to--wow, through watching that bit, I am now a fan of Lois Lowry's. I was planning on reading these books to my kids this year but do you think it is appropriate for a 10 yr. old? I would like to include my youngest as she seems to get left out of a lot due to her age but I don't want to traumatize her either.

We read The Giver as a read aloud this past fall with DD11 and DD9. We had totally ditch school plans one day to finish the final 1/3 of the book. They LOVED it, as did I. Great discussions ensued. Neither girl was traumatized, but we do not tend to sheild our girls from life and human nature. DH was active duty Army, so they know all about war, point of view of the enemy, etc. If your DC are more innocent, you may want to wait until they are 12 or 13.

Off to watch the link to the video!

I read it last year and decided not to recommend it to my 8th grade son because of the ending. It reminded me of the end of the movie Radio Flyer.

I'm not familiar with Radio Flyer, but what about the ending didn't you like?

(They don't die, btw, it's not even open for interpretation now that the 4th book in the series is out...)

My oldest read it in high school in our hs. I had never read it. He came downstairs in tears. It was a tough thing for him to read.

Of course that we had lived in Uganda and went to an orphanage. He ended up witha baby buddy that adored him. Sadly Richard passed away. Samuel was only 11 at the time. but that book brought up too much difficult memories for him of the truth of difficult lives in other places.

I am in tears. I just watched the video. It really touched my mama heart. My oldest son, who is in the Army Infantry, recently returned from Afghanistan. He is asking the very same question that Mrs. Lowry's son did. My dd12 will start reading The Giver next week as part of her co-op literature class. I, too, will be reading it...with fresh eyes and thoughts. Thank you for posting the link.

The Giver

Gathering Blue

Messenger

Son

I never knew there was a series either, until about 2 months ago. :) I believe Son was just recently released.

Thanks! I will have to order them from the library. My daugher and myself will have something new to read and discuss! :001_smile:

I'm not familiar with Radio Flyer, but what about the ending didn't you like?

(They don't die, btw, it's not even open for interpretation now that the 4th book in the series is out...)

I didn't realize there were sequels until watching the video link. I thought he was hallucinating at the end.

I'm pretty sensitive when it comes to certain things in books and I didn't find anything in the book to hard to handle. I just think an older child would get more out of it. I think it would more difficult to understand for someone say under the age of 12 or so. It has pretty complicated ideas in it.

I had no idea there was a 4th book. I'll have to look that one up. I enjoyed Gathering Blue and Messenger. When did the 4th book come out? My dd11 read "The Giver" and liked it but hasn't wanted to read the others. She said it was good but weird.

Son came out in Oct. 2012, I think. I didn't realize she was still writing the series, but happened to stumble upon it on our library's New Release shelf when it first came out.

I wasn't expecting her son to have been killed in a fighter crash. It has been a rough week here.

When you are perhaps not so raw, you (and others interested in her life and writing) might read about her response to his death. It's quite sad, but also very moving. She said in the previously posted speech that she does not believe in "write what you know," but it is clear from her writing and her real-life response that she knows suffering and she knows the value of compassion.

NY Times article, Lois Lowry

Cat

See the video of the author's speech here, where she explains how she came to write The Giver.

http://www.theatlant...er-adult/56114/

I don't agree with her. I think young people, on average, are more violent than older people; that the young followers of Pol Pot were passionate, but not about something we consider pretty; that youthful protest and rising up to make "something better" is often perverted into something stupid and/or dangerous; and that pretty words hoping for the future via "the younger generation" is a sugar-coated cop-out.

But, perhaps I missed the real meaning, because The Giver isn't a book I'd read.