Menu

8th grade plans

TT Pre-Algebra

LLATL Gray

Vocabulary ??

Spelling ?? maybe Spelling Power if not done with before

Writing ?? maybe IEW Narnia if we don't do it this year (dd is a story writer)

Grammar ??

Apologia Physical Science (or something else?? suggestions??)

Mystery of History 2

Logic ??

Foreign Lang ?? suggestions? not pricey..

Art ?? suggestions (dd loves art, don't want something that will bore her)

Choir at co-op

Is it crazy that I'm actually kind of "afraid" to answer this? :ohmy: I've made several important decisions, but not all of them yet! So, subject to change . . .

Math: CLE 800

Science: planning on Rainbow Science Year 2 (unless we change our minds)

LA:

Writing - IEW SWI B (moving on to SICC if we have time, but I don't want to rush)

Lit - Possibly LL8 + Figuratively Speaking (unless I decide that's too much overlap)

Grammar - GWG 8 (maybe adding in Killgallon's Sentence Composing)

Vocab - I really want to use Sadlier-Oxford C if I can figure out how to get a teacher guide/answer key (which is proving annoyingly challenging!) Is it necessary?

Bible: We're considering Positive Action "Wise Up"

History/Geography: SOTW 3 with additional fiction/non-fiction reading (we used selections from Classical House of Learning this year, so we'll likely do the same for next year)

Foreign Language: L'Art De Lire French

Logic: Thinking Toolbox (1 x week read/discuss)

Art: Home Art Studio (I bought it for our youngers but she'll likely enjoy it with us!)

Music: Piano lessons

PE: Ballet/Dance classes

Outside class at co-op (this year it was Drama - they put on a play each year)

Here are my tentative plans for my rising 8th grader:

math: local accelerated program plus various problem-solving books & math team

writing: local tutorial class

extra writing at home: IEW The Elegant Essay

Spanish 2: local tutorial class

Latin: Latin Alive 1

logic: The Art of Argument & The Argument Builder

history: finish Beautiful Feet Early US & World History, start BF Ancient History

grammar: Finish Easy Grammar Plus, start Daily Grams Jr. High

literature: Progeny Press Study Guides - The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings series

science: Apologia Physical Science & K'nex Physics

vocab: English from the Roots Up Vol 2 (flashcards only)

art projects from Pinterest & Dynamic Art Projects for Children, Drawing Through History

piano & baseball

Still working on it.

Edited to show latest plans. I'm leaning towards more STEM courses since GB wants to work with computers.

History: Connect the Thoughts - The Medieval Age and The 3 R's (Reformation, Renaissance, and Restoration)

Geography: Glencoe World Geography

Math: Kinetic Books Algebra I & Khan Academy

Writing: WWS2/CW - adding Writing in Science Coursera Course and a blog for reviewing games.

Grammar: Killgallon?

Logic: Critical Thinking Book 2 & Mind Benders or another logic book.

Literature: CTT Reading Program

Vocabulary: Vocabulary.com ?

Science: Fun Science year! MIT Kitchen Chemistry, Backyard Ballistics, Mini-Weapons of Mass Destruction, electronics, tinkering, long-term projects,

Health/Nutrition: Human Body Detectives, TTC Nutrition Made Clear, Science Fusion The Human Body (not sure if that would be too much repetition with HBD), cooking healthy meals,

Art, Architecture and Music: Intellego The Renaissance Era: Art, Architecture and Music - already have and might as well use though I wasn't super fond of Intellego, so I might pick and choose from it.

Computer Science: Mods, Coursera courses, LearnStreet, different things depending on what he wants to work on.

What are you going to do with the Glencoe World Geography book? I picked this up at the local library sale last week, but I don't really know if/how I want to use it. I don't love the layout - but I loved the price and my dd really does need some World Geography.

Summer (with 6th grade to-be little sis):

Getting Started with Latin

Holt Science & Tech Life Science

School year

Math: Saxon Algebra 1 (but can't decide if we should do the original with Geometry combined, or the new, with Geometry separate)

Literature&History: Sonlight 100, American History

English: Find the Errors (editing!!)

Diagramming Sentences

Writing: IEW American History Theme

Science: HS&T Physical Science

Bible: Self-Study Bible

Logic: The Art of Argument

Latin: Continue Getting Started with Latin

Spanish: ??? I'm open to suggestions!

Music: Not sure what to do for study, but going to visit music teacher at school to continue trumpet and tuba. The offer was extended and I think we'll take him up on it.

Art: not sure again. Possibly Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain as well as something for appreciation

Language Arts: IEW-B CC, MCT Grammar Magic Lens and Word With Word, Phonetic Zoo spelling, CC's Handwriting practice books

Maths: MUS: hopefully at Pre-Algebra by then, also Mathsonline

Latin: Getting Started with Latin

French: Reading The Little Prince in French, very slowly

Logic: Art of Argument, then Traditional Logic II (Have almost finished Nance's Intro Logic)

Omnibus I (already half way thru) then II: fits history, theology and literature all in one!

History: Reviews of SOTW, Australian History

Science: still looking for a suitable science class for homeschoolers

I think I have this worked out, though I just ordered The Latin Centered Curriculum. I don't think it will change my materials as much as my focus and daily schedule, though.

Math: We are setting Horizons PreAlgebra aside for a bit to work through MUS PA. I don't think it will take him but a few months to get through it, and we will work through the summer. We will decided whether to proceed with MUS Alg. 1 at that point or go back and finish Horizons PA.

History: Second half of Notgrass America the Beautiful with literature that I add, then finish the year with a brief Texas history study.

Science: Apologia Physical

Bible/personal growth: personal devotions I found for teens, multiple books I have selected for reading, and family devotions with Apologia's Who is God?

Lang. Arts: WWS 1 daily with Killgallon's Grammar for Middle School, IEW's Fix It, and GWG's Digging into Diagramming thrown into the mix as I see fit. This guy has struggled with writing curricula, so I am hoping WWS will help us. If it proves to not work for him, we are going to do a theme based book from IEW....the SWI bored him to death.

Literature: We will study some books that I select Teaching the Classics style. I may throw in some Figuratively Speaking.

Latin: New subject for us this year using Lively Latin with all of the kids.

Ds also does Tae kwon do two nights per week, bo staff one night, choir practice one night, and various choir performances. He is volunteering at some events at church and working for a cafe a few days per month though he would love a steady job.

• 4 weeks later...

Literature :Tapestry of Grace Year 2 Dialectic/Learning Literature Through LOTR (Last two books only)

Composition: Finish WWS 1 and go to WWS 2/

Grammar: Daily Grammar and/or Killgallons

Latin: Latin Prep 2

Math: Finish LOF Advanced Algebra and then go to LOF Geometry/2nd Half of AOPS Beginning Algebra

Science: CK-12 Biology

History and other Humanities: TOG Year 2 Dialectic

Intro to Philosophy: SophieĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s World

Oh what ... 8th grade? oh, this is me again! lol

My ds will be doing:

*Math [either finishing Lial's BCM or starting Algebra 1, depends on work done this summer]

*co-op - TOG yr 2 History

- TOG yr 2 Literature

- CW Diogenese Accelerated (with Harveys Grammar & Mary Dalys diagramming book for reference)

- Lingua Latinina 1/2 (we broke it into 3 years, this will be his 2nd year)

- BJU Science: Earth & Space Science

with hopes to add in

logic (finishing Teaching Toolbox, Introductory Logic, ?)

piano or guitar or some music

He will also continue with his progress through Boy Scouts

ETA: the grammar texts to go with the writing!

I'll give it a go!

Math - Lial's Algebra

English - Thinking AG

LLOTLR - I have not figured out exactly what subjects this covers completely.

Science - Apologia Physical

History - Diana Waring's Ancient Civilizations and The Bible

Piano Lessons

Spanish

Home Ec

(I have yet to fit Latin in!!!!) Seems like there is more I am missing.

So changes already...... Lial's stays with addition of Jann's math class

Grammar - Killagallon

Writing - EIW

Shakespeare year long study

Science - homemade course using CK-12 Physical Science - PH Concepts in Motion Lab book and the Tiner books

History - same but adding in literature to go along

Spanish - nope now wants to do French!!

Home Ec - Stays

Logic - ???

Still trying to figure out Latin and a way to motivate her to want to try it.

So let's see how long these plans last....lol

I think we are finally settling on his plan. We do 6 credits of 6 hours (approximately) each:

Full-credit classes

1. AoPS Geometry and Intermediate Algebra, 3 days each (he is already 2/3rds through the Geo book, so will pick up Intermediate Counting when Geometry is completed. He needs to do 2 math topics at a time to keep fresh for the Math Olympiad)

2. Math Olympiad study (4 days study, because AoPS will take up 1 day)

3. Physics with Knight College Physics + Biochemistry/Neurobiology (not sure yet of the texts) (this will be spread out over 2 years for a total of 1.5 credits physics and half credit Biochemistry/Neurobiology. He is interested in Artificial Intelligence as a possible career, so would like to study the brain this coming year. Also, he wants to complete the entire Knight book, so will need more than 1 year)

4. English: LToW + NaNoWriMo (his choice, he has been planning his novel for 2 months) + lots of literature (themes: Gothic/Horror, Humour, 20thC)

5. Violin - ABRSM grade 5 theory, grade 6 practical + Chamber Group

Half-credit classes

6. Mandarin - Boya2 with a tutor

6. History - Late Modern history to be done with father

Extra Curricular: watercolour, swimming, wing tsun

Ruth in NZ

I'm still working through everything. It's taking me forever to plan, because I'm not able to use what I'd like...but thus far:

Math: Algebra 2 using Lial's Intermediate Algebra, probably with some AoPS Geometry...to finish that up.

Science: Biology using Campbell &Reese, Hippocampus, and BozemanScience. He says he wants to take the AP Test...but we'll see.

English: Abeka 10th...plus about 12 books.

History: K12 Human Odyssey 1400-1914...still fleshing this out. Looking at free lectures on-line, crash course videos, TTC videos through our library. I'm thinking about having him write a 5 paragraph essay for each chapter, and notes /outline for lectures & video. Then doing a 5-10 page paper for the mid-term and final selecting one topic area to complete additional research...anyone have thoughts on this approach? There will also be about 10 more books for this course (mostly audio books).

Latin: Wheelocks, vocabulary and ending memorization, following Oxford Tutorial, getting into translations in January. He's been through most of this once, but needs the summer and fall to really know the elements. Then we can focus on translations.

Speech and Debate...

I'd like him to start a modern foreign language, but he already has a LOT going on.

• 3 weeks later...

So changes already...... Lial's stays with addition of Jann's math class

Grammar - Killagallon

Writing - EIW

Shakespeare year long study

Science - homemade course using CK-12 Physical Science - PH Concepts in Motion Lab book and the Tiner books

History - same but adding in literature to go along

Spanish - nope now wants to do French!!

Home Ec - Stays

Logic - ???

Still trying to figure out Latin and a way to motivate her to want to try it.

So let's see how long these plans last....lol

Finally settled on Latin - We are going to use Galore Park, Latin Prep.This way I can do it with both dd13 and dd10. Now to figure out Logic and all will be great. Oh, and a french program! :banghead:

I think I am ready to post my 8th grader's plan.....There may be some changes, though! We school year round, too, so it may look a bit overwhelming all written out!

Math: TT Algebra I, LOF, Critical Thinking Geometry on Fridays, {Khan Academy for help (we like variety here)}

LA: AG season 2 & 3, IEW SWI B then finish last half of WWS, Lightning Lit. 8, Phonetic Zoo, WW 8.

History: Notgrass America the Beautiful (adding own lit. list), timeline, mapwork, A Young People's History of US by Howard Zinn, finishing up SOTW audio 3-4, Netflix documentaries & Discovery Education

Science: Science Fusion modules H, I, J (Physical Science/chemistry)...Ellen McHenry's Elements and Carbon Chemistry. (Hoping to enjoy these along the way with younger siblings)...lots of discovery education videos! Looking at some Thames & Kosmos kits for all dc.

PE/Health: YMCA PE & Health class 1x week; soccer; Human Body Dectectives; Cooking 1x week (each child will take turns cooking a meal for family but has to be healthy)

Spanish: thinking Visual Link Spanish or just using our Rosetta Stone Spanish

Art & Life Skills with Dad

Logic: The Art of Argument.....or Teaching Toolbox....or Mind Benders....still looking through these!

Computer: Finish up and refresh typing techniques....some sort of basic computer skills class(maybe use critical thinking co. for this).....code

Volunteering at Elementary School (3rd year yay!!) Reading to K'ers, running errands for teachers, and working in the library shelving and stamping books. She also volunteers for any festivals they have and Math/Science Nights! Super proud of her taking on a very responsible role and mentor to younger kids!

Music: continue piano and learn guitar....listen to music of different ages.

Continue with sewing & selling doll clothes on her blog......We may start up a homeschool sewing class with Nana's help!

:hurray:

Our 8th grade plans at this point:

Math: Algebra I (Dolciani)

Logic: Art of Argument & Discovery of Deduction (VPSA online)

History/Lit: Omnibus II (VPSA online)

French II: Glencoe's Bon Voyage 2

(to sync w/ local high school in case we opt for a brick & mortar school in 9th)

Latin II: Wheelock's, 2nd half (VPSA online)

Greek I: Athenaze (Lukeion)

Physical Science: Derek Owens

PE: 1x/wk w/ homeschool PE group

The boys need more physical activity during the week. I'm hoping to find a way to make that happen. They'd like to pick up fencing again, but that's not high intensity exercise.

I'd also like to find a way to make more formal writing happen. The boys took Composition this year and responded so well to an outside (ie, anyone but me!) teacher. I may try to take 1 writing assignment/semester from their Omni class/texts and have them work with a WriteGuide tutor to refine & polish those essays. Omni is so reading/time intensive, though, I don't know how realistic it will be to add writing.

One son will be studying Greek I for a semester and then deciding whether to continue or not. Not sure how hard it's going to be for him to juggle the work load. Since it's something he's specifically asked to pursue (a first for him!), and since it's his last sort of flexible year before high school, we're going to let him pursue the Greek and drop the science. He'll, hopefully, read up independently on some of the physical science topics. His twin, who will not be studying Greek, will be taking DO's physical science class and I'm hoping some of his studies will spill over onto his brother.

I think this is the final plan...

Math - Lial's Algebra

Grammar - Finished AG this year, so just going to keep skills fresh with DGP

Vocabulary - Caesar's English with my 6th grade ds; Sadlier Oxford Vocabulary Workshop

Literature - Figuratively Speaking; Lightning Literature 7 with my 6th grade ds

Writing - WWS2

Religion - Faith and Life 8

History - Human Odyssey Vol. 2 with Student Pages and various historical fiction reading

Science - Physical Science class at co-op

French - So You Really Want to Learn French (finish book 1 and begin book 2)

Latin - Lively Latin with my 6th grade ds

Logic - Art of Argument, Mind Benders

Art - Art class with teacher

Music - Piano

Here is my rough plan

Songlight W

Rod and Staff 8

Teaching Textbooks Pre Algerbra

Apologia Physical Science

VocabularyFrom Classical Roots B

Logic - not sure

Wow four months later and I still plan on doing the same stuff with only the level of Sonlight being different. We are going to use Sonlight 100 for history and I found the logic books I bought a long time ago and lost but found when I was packing up our stuff.

I think my plans are finalized now.

Math: Singapore DM 7B and AoPS Pre-Algebra

History/Lit: TOG Year 3. We have a fantastic co-op for this.

Writing: WWS over the summer, co-op writing class (very rigorous) in the school year

Science: Exploring Creation through Physical Science (at co-op)

Grammar: AG - we've taken a few years off grammar from about halfway through FLL 4.

Second Language: French class 2 hrs per week (he's been with the same group of kids for the last 3 years) and we'll add in Rosetta Stone

PE: Taekwon-do classes, six weeks of weekly snowboarding/lessons in Jan/Feb, possibly some swim lessons

Music: This takes up the bulk of his time. 2 hrs private violin lessons, 1/2 hr piano lesson, 1 hr technique class, 1 hr music school orchestra, 2.5 youth symphony, 1 hr theory and 1 hr trio rehearsal - plus practice time.

Logic: Art of Argument (continuing from this year into next, I teach it at co-op)

Thinking Skills: Cort (www.cortthinking.com) I am so impressed by this program. I'm working through it slowly with my co-op class. It's sparked some really interesting discussions and I can see them transferring the skills learned in this to their TOG discussions. Very cool.

Extras: Typing (over the summer, likely won't do it in the fall),

This is nearly the same as our schedule for last year except that I'm adding in grammar and Rosetta Stone.

I still can't believe my oldest is going to be in 8th grade! Good grief, I swear she was just learning how to read a few weeks ago, but I digress....

OM English, Science, Civics.

Learn Math Fast to get her up to speed and solid in her math skills. She is making huge progress!

Art of Argument, with me

English from the Roots Up with her siblings

4-H (a new adventure for us this year)

French...TBD what curriculum

Here's what I have planned at this point. I always do science and history together w/6th grade brother.

Math - TT Pre-Algebra (still stewing on this one, considering ThinkWell)

English - Trying the new Cover Story writing curriculum + reading

Science - Units on Astronomy, Earth Science, Ecology and Simple Machines (put together by me)

History - US History (again, I'll put it together based on Joy Hakim's History of US books and Howard Zinn's A Young Person's History of the US)

Spanish - Mango Languages

Computer Science - The Journey Inside (Intel's free online curriculum) and EasyTech from Learning.com

PE - Couch to 5k and Yoga

Geography, Sex Ed, Art History, and a few other topics yet to be determined in our homeschool co-op.

Hoping to squeeze in some World Religions somewhere.

Lori

Big Guy (14)

Little Buddy (10)

• 2 weeks later...

math: Lial, BJU or Saxon Algebra, I still can't decide!

grammar: Seton

vocab: Seton

lit: Seton

religion: Seton

writing: WWS

history: Human Odyssey, Vol. 1 with extra reading

science: Apologia Physical Science

Spanish: outside class

elective: One Year Adventure Novel

We're dropping logic so she can put her time into OYAN.  This will probably be her last year at home so I gave her this choice.

I think we've finally decided:

English - KISS grammar - love/hate relationship continues but is free - would really like to try AG

WWS and writing across curric

LLLOTR - really looking forward to this - looks fantastic

Math - Finish Jacobs Alg 1 with added Lial's then ?? geometry - ?? what

Logic - Traditional Logic II

History - Human Odyssey Bk 2 - maps, timeline, outlining

Science - Science Shepherd Life Science - this looks great too

Latin - Henle 1 - first half

Spanish 2 - at high school

Geography - ? Mapping the World with Art

PE - Ballet and teach ourselves tennis

Robotics - 4H after school club

Volunteer at AWANA

Think that's it but seems like a lot.

Math: I have no idea what geometry program to use. Jacobs? Saxon? Ds has been doing very well with Foerster, but I am feeling my confidence drop with each passing chapter.

We've had a great experience with Jacobs Geometry and I'd highly recommend it for most students, although I'd use something else for the algebra review in each chapter (maybe Khan Academy.org and/or another book)

Math - Foerster Algebra

Writing - IEW - hopefully across the curriculum - 

Grammar - Easy Grammar Ultimate 8th

Science - Dive Earth Science (maybe)

Geography - PAC World Geography w/ lots of added literature

Spanish - Visual Link 1

Bible - Rod and Staff Bible 8

Spelling/Vocabulary - Rod and Staff Spelling 8

Other - I will probably add health/sex ed, art with geography focus with younger brothers , PE is baseball and soccer over the spring and summer, and unofficial home-ec, 

I can't believe our 8th grade year is here already!

Math - Saxon Algebra 1

History - A History of US - (Joy Hakim)

Science - The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way (Joy Hakim)

** I'm still undecided - this book will be used as a supplement to science/extra reading

Literature - Lightening Literature 8

Grammar - Easy Grammar Ultimate 8

Logic - Fallacy Detective

Writing - Writing With Skill 2

Vocabulary - Vocabulary From Classical Roots B

We do our year Jan-Dec (to get the BJU discount!) so we're half way through 8th grade and the following textbooks.

We will finish with:

Saxon Algebra I

BJU Earth Science + Env. Science DSST

BJU Literature + Resarch paper

BJU History + MOH as a family

Logic: We just finished Thinking Toolbox so I need to get the next one

Music: Piano, harp and choir lessons

Bible: Awana Trek book

Typing, ASL

TRYING to do "much not many"....

Math: TT Algebra 1

English: Various lit, mostly American, plus IEW American History Themed pack, plus daily grams (I think)

History: American history...LOTS of documentaries and non fiction books, some kind of timeline, maps from Biblioplan

Science: Bilogy, probably with Miller/Levine text, tests, and a co-op for some labs

Latin: Getting Started with Latin

Religion: outsourcing to a weekly church thing for this, or if that doesn't work out doing the Baltimore Catechism with him.

And finishing up The Thinking Toolbox.

That's it. No art, no music, just the basics. I MIGHT squeeze in a once every other week art documentary, maybe the Sister whoever she is that does them, but that's it.

I posted to this a while back and realized that our plans have changed quite a bit when I looked through this thread again tonight!  Wow - hadn't realized we'd made so many changes!  So excited about this school year!

Math: TT Algebra I

Science: Apologia Physical Science & other Earth Science resources

History/Literature: Tapestry of Grace, Year 4

Grammar: R&S 8

Vocabulary: Caesar's English + Wordly Wise 8

Geography and World Cultures

French I (it's actually her 2nd year of French, but moving at a gentle pace)

Spanish I

Forgot to add: IEW SWI-B

Our plans have changed up a bit since I posted. Currently:

English: outside writing class will cover writing and a novel study, some grammar

Classics book club through Virtual Homeschool Group will cover discussion of 10-15 books (student-led weekly discussion, not in-depth study)

Book discussion class through VHG---the effects of inequality on literature and culture---looks at 4 books in-depth, as well as learning some tech tools

Vocabulary from Classical Roots/Daily Grams

continue biblical literacy course using The Bible and Its Influence

Math:   Saxon Algebra I with Art Reed videos and VHG at your own pace class (I already had the AR videos, want to see how the VHG works for this)

Science: PLATO Physical Science, but may need to add something else in after this or in addition

History: will be finishing the tail end of modern history with k12 HO/Hakim Story of US and additional materials. I'm hoping to use Big History (from Bill Gates and David Christian), but if that is not available, we will likely do geography.

Mapping the World with Art

current events class with local co-op

Foreign Language:  Spanish I through VHG

Arts:   Intro to Theater using Digital Theatre Plus subscription

Art history through local co-op

Drawing class with local teacher

Health: hoping our church does the usual Our Whole Lives human sexuality curriculum again for 8th graders this year

Extracurriculars:  aikido

Girl Scouts

art club through local co-op

backstage work with local community theater

Math: Finish Saxon Alg 1/2, cont with Learn Math Fast. Grid Perplexors, Java and Android Programming
Latin: finish First Form Latin/ Start 2nd Form Latin; Cont. RS German
Writing: WWS2 or IEW theme book- not sure yet. MP's Grammar,  IEW high school Spelling and Vocab

Science: High School Biology
History: Dorothy Mills History, MP Geography II

Bible:  MP Christian Studies IV

Logic: Traditional Logic

Memory Work: a combo of stuff from curriculum, etc. 

Drama and Shakespeare Camp

Math: Finish Saxon Alg 1/2, cont with Learn Math Fast. Grid Perplexors, Java and Android Programming

Latin: finish First Form Latin/ Start 2nd Form Latin; Cont. RS German

Writing: WWS2 or IEW theme book- not sure yet. MP's Grammar,  IEW high school Spelling and Vocab

Science: High School Biology

History: Dorothy Mills History, MP Geography II

Bible:  MP Christian Studies IV

Logic: Traditional Logic

Memory Work: a combo of stuff from curriculum, etc. 

Drama and Shakespeare Camp

Lisa, your High School Biology link above links to a programming course instead. I'm currently researching biology ideas for the future and was curious to know what you are using. :D

Melissa, could you give a short description of Lingua Mater Americana?  

Each week is split into four days worth of assignments. Each day will generally have a writing and a grammar assignment. I believe the program is only available on computer CD so you would need to work off the computer or have it printed.  The student book is 350 pages.  For this program, it is better for the parent to have a good understanding of English.  There is an answer key for the grammar assignments.  But there are many times where the student is writing his/her own sentences and so the answer key will offer example sentences, but the parent would need to make a decision about each of the student's answers.  And for the writing portion there are grading rubrics and a few example essays, but much of the writing instruction comes from the parent. If you have any specific questions I can answer just let me know. Here is the table of contents:

Table of Contents
Unit 1
Week 1: Description of a person
Review parts of speech, parts of a sentence

Week 2: Personal Narrative Ă¢â‚¬Å“The WhistleĂ¢â‚¬ by Ben Franklin
Complements

Week 3: Picture Study The Historian
Prepositional and Infinitive Phrases

Week 4: Opinion Paper Ă¢â‚¬Å“Indian Burial GroundĂ¢â‚¬
Participles and participle phrases

Week 5: Persuasive Writing Ă¢â‚¬Å“Speech to the Indians, 1657Ă¢â‚¬
Gerunds and Gerund phrases

Week 6: Expository Essay Ă¢â‚¬Å“BeaversĂ¢â‚¬ by Suchi Myjak
Clauses

Week 7: Expository Essay, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Concord HymnĂ¢â‚¬ By Ralph Waldo Emerson
Clauses

Week 8: Recollection Ă¢â‚¬Å“A Recollection of the Boston Tea PartyĂ¢â‚¬
Clauses

Week 9: Picture Study Washington Crossing the Delaware
Review

Unit Two
Week 10: Poem Study Ă¢â‚¬Å“When the Frost is on the PunkinĂ¢â‚¬
Concrete and Abstract Nouns and Collective Nouns

Week 11: Tall Tale: Apple-Seed John
Appositives

Week 12: Tall Tale: Pecos Bill
Writing a Tall Tale Part 1

Week 13: Short Story: The Capture of Father Time by Frank Oz
Writing a Tall Tale Part 2

Week 14 Picture Study Daniel Boone at Cabin on Osage Lake by Thomas Cole
Descriptive writing

Week 15: Reflection Ă¢â‚¬Å“Bud and Bird VoicesĂ¢â‚¬ by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Writing a Reflection

Week 16: Expository Essay Ă¢â‚¬Å“Always Move Forward; Never Turn BackĂ¢â‚¬
Writing a Research Paper Part 1

Week 17 Expository Essay: Ă¢â‚¬Å“A Confident Humility: Venerable Father Solanus CaseyĂ¢â‚¬ by
Elaine Woodfield

Writing a Research Paper Part 2
Week 18: Picture Study On His Holidays by John Singer Sargent
Review and Assessment

Unit Three Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Expository Style
Week 19: The Duty and Valor of Patriotism by Archbishop John Ireland
Ă¢â‚¬Å“This I believeĂ¢â‚¬ essay

Week 20: Ă¢â‚¬Å“O Captain! My Captain!Ă¢â‚¬ By Walt Whitman
Copy Change Poetry

Week 21: by Dawn Hanigan
Nature observation

Week 22: Picture Study
Compare and Contrast Essay

Week 23: Ă¢â‚¬Å“Laundry Car IncidentĂ¢â‚¬ by Ralph Waldo Emerson
News Article

Week 24: Families recover after Katrina
News Feature

Week 25: O Shenendoah
The Definition Essay

Week 26: Biography of Thomas Edison
Writing a Summary

Week 27: Picture Study
Review and assessment

Unit Four Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Short Story Unit
Week 28: Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Ransom of Red ChiefĂ¢â‚¬ by OĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Henry
Characterization

Week 29: Ă¢â‚¬Å“To Build a FireĂ¢â‚¬ by Jack London
Setting

Week 30: Ă¢â‚¬Å“Brer Rabbit and Tar BabyĂ¢â‚¬ by Uncle Remus (Adapted)
Plot

Week 31: Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Ambitious GuestĂ¢â‚¬ by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Theme

Week 32: Dust Bowl Photography
Point of View

Week 33: Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Bride Comes to Yellow SkyĂ¢â‚¬ by Stephen Crane
Literary Analysis

Week 34: End of Book Review
Literary Analysis
Appendix

Each week is split into four days worth of assignments. Each day will generally have a writing and a grammar assignment. I believe the program is only available on computer CD so you would need to work off the computer or have it printed.  The student book is 350 pages.  For this program, it is better for the parent to have a good understanding of English.  There is an answer key for the grammar assignments.  But there are many times where the student is writing his/her own sentences and so the answer key will offer example sentences, but the parent would need to make a decision about each of the student's answers.  And for the writing portion there are grading rubrics and a few example essays, but much of the writing instruction comes from the parent. If you have any specific questions I can answer just let me know. Here is the table of contents:

Table of Contents
Unit 1
Week 1: Description of a person
Review parts of speech, parts of a sentence

Week 2: Personal Narrative Ă¢â‚¬Å“The WhistleĂ¢â‚¬ by Ben Franklin
Complements

Week 3: Picture Study The Historian
Prepositional and Infinitive Phrases

Week 4: Opinion Paper Ă¢â‚¬Å“Indian Burial GroundĂ¢â‚¬
Participles and participle phrases

Week 5: Persuasive Writing Ă¢â‚¬Å“Speech to the Indians, 1657Ă¢â‚¬
Gerunds and Gerund phrases

Week 6: Expository Essay Ă¢â‚¬Å“BeaversĂ¢â‚¬ by Suchi Myjak
Clauses

Week 7: Expository Essay, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Concord HymnĂ¢â‚¬ By Ralph Waldo Emerson
Clauses

Week 8: Recollection Ă¢â‚¬Å“A Recollection of the Boston Tea PartyĂ¢â‚¬
Clauses

Week 9: Picture Study Washington Crossing the Delaware
Review

Unit Two
Week 10: Poem Study Ă¢â‚¬Å“When the Frost is on the PunkinĂ¢â‚¬
Concrete and Abstract Nouns and Collective Nouns

Week 11: Tall Tale: Apple-Seed John
Appositives

Week 12: Tall Tale: Pecos Bill
Writing a Tall Tale Part 1

Week 13: Short Story: The Capture of Father Time by Frank Oz
Writing a Tall Tale Part 2

Week 14 Picture Study Daniel Boone at Cabin on Osage Lake by Thomas Cole
Descriptive writing

Week 15: Reflection Ă¢â‚¬Å“Bud and Bird VoicesĂ¢â‚¬ by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Writing a Reflection

Week 16: Expository Essay Ă¢â‚¬Å“Always Move Forward; Never Turn BackĂ¢â‚¬
Writing a Research Paper Part 1

Week 17 Expository Essay: Ă¢â‚¬Å“A Confident Humility: Venerable Father Solanus CaseyĂ¢â‚¬ by
Elaine Woodfield

Writing a Research Paper Part 2
Week 18: Picture Study On His Holidays by John Singer Sargent
Review and Assessment

Unit Three Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Expository Style
Week 19: The Duty and Valor of Patriotism by Archbishop John Ireland
Ă¢â‚¬Å“This I believeĂ¢â‚¬ essay

Week 20: Ă¢â‚¬Å“O Captain! My Captain!Ă¢â‚¬ By Walt Whitman
Copy Change Poetry

Week 21: by Dawn Hanigan
Nature observation

Week 22: Picture Study
Compare and Contrast Essay

Week 23: Ă¢â‚¬Å“Laundry Car IncidentĂ¢â‚¬ by Ralph Waldo Emerson
News Article

Week 24: Families recover after Katrina
News Feature

Week 25: O Shenendoah
The Definition Essay

Week 26: Biography of Thomas Edison
Writing a Summary

Week 27: Picture Study
Review and assessment

Unit Four Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Short Story Unit
Week 28: Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Ransom of Red ChiefĂ¢â‚¬ by OĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Henry
Characterization

Week 29: Ă¢â‚¬Å“To Build a FireĂ¢â‚¬ by Jack London
Setting

Week 30: Ă¢â‚¬Å“Brer Rabbit and Tar BabyĂ¢â‚¬ by Uncle Remus (Adapted)
Plot

Week 31: Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Ambitious GuestĂ¢â‚¬ by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Theme

Week 32: Dust Bowl Photography
Point of View

Week 33: Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Bride Comes to Yellow SkyĂ¢â‚¬ by Stephen Crane
Literary Analysis

Week 34: End of Book Review
Literary Analysis
Appendix

That so helpful!  Thanks so much, Melissa.