Menu

Downton Abbey season 3 (episode 1) online???

Janie Grace

(spoilers!!)

Anyone else sorely disappointed by the season premiere? I got no chemistry from lady mary and matthew, the drama over the stained coat was just lame, same for getting the lower class chauffeur husband to dress properly.... losing one fortune but wait, here's another fortune.... yawn!! I stopped watching 80 minutes in. Plus everyone except lady mary looks like they've gained a few sizes which ruined the continuity. Also disappointed by Shirley Maclaine, she's playing the character very one dimensionally. blah!

(spoilers!!)

Anyone else sorely disappointed by the season premiere? I got no chemistry from lady mary and matthew, the drama over the stained coat was just lame, same for getting the lower class chauffeur husband to dress properly.... losing one fortune but wait, here's another fortune.... yawn!! I stopped watching 80 minutes in. Plus everyone except lady mary looks like they've gained a few sizes which ruined the continuity. Also disappointed by Shirley Maclaine, she's playing the character very one dimensionally. blah!

I watch purely for the lines given to Maggie Smith (Dowager Duchess/Countess Grantham aka Grandma). She turned to her son and said:" Can I have a drink?" Then apologized: "Sorry, dear, I thought you were the waiter."

On the weight gain, only Sybil looked a little bloated and she is supposed to be pregnant. I didn't notice any changes in "Cora", "Mary" or "Edith". The "downstairs" cast looks the same to me too. I am enjoying the rift between O'Brien and Thomas.

Thanks for the video link! She has all of season 2 on her blog as well, so I can catch up and start season 3.

Based on some of the pp's comments, I'm not sure if I should even mess with season 2 and just go straight to season 3. :tongue_smilie:

I watched the whole thing on Simply June. Wonder how she gets away with it, legally? Thankful, at any rate.

Yeah, I don't understand this either. How is she able to do this? And will watching this on this website infect my computer with viruses?

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Carson, Bates, Lord Grantham and matthew all look much heavier. As for the ladies Sybil is much heavier, edith, cora and some staff somewhat so, but enough that the continuity was off for me.

Thomas started looking chunky in season 2 and even more so now.

Ya, I agree. But what do you mean it makes the continuity 'off'? Like it's too hard to believe the story anymore? I just wonder what you mean...

Carson, Bates, Lord Grantham and matthew all look much heavier. As for the ladies Sybil is much heavier, edith, cora and some staff somewhat so, but enough that the continuity was off for me.

Thomas started looking chunky in season 2 and even more so now.

Huh? I don't know what you're talking about. Do you always pay such close attention to who gained weight since the previous season of a show?

How come the seasons are so short? Only like 7 in the first season....about 8 or 9 in the second. I'm on Season 1, episode 3 right now....shouldn't take me too long to catch up.

A season in the UK is generally 6 episodes. Merlin and Dr Who are super long! Merlin with 13! My kids can't figure out why American TV goes on for so long!

I've said it before. I'm always shocked by how many conservative Christian homeschoolers are comfortable with stealing.

So, at first I thought you meant during the show someone was stealing. But I am guessing you are referring to watching this show through this website. I know I am going to sound dense here, but this is stealing? That was what I was trying to figure out, I guess I just thought that they would have stopped it by now. That if it was illegal that someone would have shut the website down. I guess I just thought she must have had permission to run it from PBS. How can you ever know if anything is stealing? I've watched things on YouTube before, how would you know if that's stealing?

Maybe people don't realize it's stealing, because I was really unsure on the whole thing.

(spoilers!!)

... losing one fortune but wait, here's another fortune.... yawn!

Except that is kind of how those big estates worked. If you want an example google Brodsworth Hall English Heritage. Sorry I can't link. They were saved by both inheritance and coal! LOL Even though the big house is lost the "heir" still lives well owning a village and lots of farmland!

Friends here consider the story line to be quite realistic. I am serious, I just about fell over when I listened to that discussion. I keep telling DH it is a great nighttime soap with a really good setting.....he prefers to think otherwise.

So, at first I thought you meant during the show someone was stealing. But I am guessing you are referring to watching this show through this website. I know I am going to sound dense here, but this is stealing? That was what I was trying to figure out, I guess I just thought that they would have stopped it by now. That if it was illegal that someone would have shut the website down. I guess I just thought she must have had permission to run it from PBS. How can you ever know if anything is stealing? I've watched things on YouTube before, how would you know if that's stealing?

Maybe people don't realize it's stealing, because I was really unsure on the whole thing.

It's really no different from e-books. It's common knowledge that Amazon is a safe place to legally purchase e-books, and it shouldn't be difficult to recognize that it is NOT a good idea to order an e-copy of The Well-Trained Mind from, say, me!

Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon are known to have business deals that enable them to provide television and movies. Network websites are an obvious source for legally streamed content. No network or studio sells rights to Joe Shm oe.

Anyone over 30 was old enough to understand when digital internet copyright issues were hashed out thanks to Napster and the like.

If you're watching DA for free online on a website or app other than one owned/managed by ITV or PBS, you are watching a pirated copy. You can also legally watch by paying for current episodes as they become available on Amazon or iTunes or waiting for episodes to be available on Hulu, Netflix, or other content provider that pays to license the material (which some random blogger most assuredly does not). Many people don't care or don't consider copyright infringement or DRM violation to be the same as stealing, and that's a debate for another discussion. If it matters to you, however, you can't just assume that if material is available online, it must be legal or it would have been taken down.

Okay, but I don't know who puts out Downton Abbey, and I don't care. It doesn't occur to me to go through a list and think, "Hm, is this streaming on ITV or PBS or Netflix..." I don't understand why Hulu shows some things for free, and other things not for free. What I am trying to say is that it's not obvious TO ME whether something is pirated or not. I didn't even give it a thought, until now.

A better example is, that I watched "Roots" on Youtube recently. The whole thing. Was it pirated? I guess I just thought Youtube had the rights to it or whatever, and didn't worry about it. FWIW I haven't watched the Downton Abbey link yet because yes, it seems too new to be out there for "free". And I can't even think of another example of something I watched that might have been pirated. But honestly, I was thinking more about viruses from weird websites, and not even thinking about piracy.

Okay, but I don't know who puts out Downton Abbey, and I don't care. It doesn't occur to me to go through a list and think, "Hm, is this streaming on ITV or PBS or Netflix..." I don't understand why Hulu shows some things for free, and other things not for free. What I am trying to say is that it's not obvious TO ME whether something is pirated or not. I didn't even give it a thought, until now.

A better example is, that I watched "Roots" on Youtube recently. The whole thing. Was it pirated? I guess I just thought Youtube had the rights to it or whatever, and didn't worry about it. FWIW I haven't watched the Downton Abbey link yet because yes, it seems too new to be out there for "free". And I can't even think of another example of something I watched that might have been pirated. But honestly, I was thinking more about viruses from weird websites, and not even thinking about piracy.

I just watched it for free on the PBS website.

Well, I do not consider myself 'conservative,' but I removed the link. I have to say it honestly never occurred to me that it was not there legally. I know, I know, I am naive.

I'll go crawl under a rock now.

I truly don't mean to make anyone who honestly had no clue feel badly. The topic has come up before, and most ignored the entire thing. That made me sad.

The fact is, if someone wants to give you their product for free, they will make it easy to find. (In this example, via their own site, or a known business like Hulu.) If free is hard to find, there's typically a good reason.

Can anyone tell me when Hulu will pick it up? I like to watch with dd, so I would rather watch on the big tv..

We don't have cable so we got an adapter cable to hook up our laptop to the tv so we can watch on the big screen. Is this an option for you?

Well, I do not consider myself 'conservative,' but I removed the link. I have to say it honestly never occurred to me that it was not there legally. I know, I know, I am naive.

I'll go crawl under a rock now.

I guess I'm naive too! And I guess I am still not understanding how I am supposed to know if something is pirated.

The idea is to see who is supplying it. If it is supplied by the publisher or a licensed distributor, its legal. otherwise it probably isnt. Youtube . . . well, usually its not legal, but the companies who really care work hard to keep up with the pirated versions on youtube. really old stuff like roots, maybe its not as big a deal. but getting stuff for free is usually illegal. hulu is one of the few places, other than the website of the channel that showed it, that legally contracts for shows. and of course netflix and such. basically things arent free and if you are getting them for free you are probably getting something illegally. hulu makes money by advertisements.

Oh, you can also check for who put the video on youtube - for example, PBS has its own youtube channel, as does BBC. if the publisher posts it to youtube, its legit.

just went to PBS and saw the episode 1 is an hour and a half? not up for that today lol

The idea is to see who is supplying it. If it is supplied by the publisher or a licensed distributor, its legal. otherwise it probably isnt. Youtube . . . well, usually its not legal, but the companies who really care work hard to keep up with the pirated versions on youtube. really old stuff like roots, maybe its not as big a deal. but getting stuff for free is usually illegal. hulu is one of the few places, other than the website of the channel that showed it, that legally contracts for shows. and of course netflix and such. basically things arent free and if you are getting them for free you are probably getting something illegally. hulu makes money by advertisements.

Oh, you can also check for who put the video on youtube - for example, PBS has its own youtube channel, as does BBC. if the publisher posts it to youtube, its legit.

just went to PBS and saw the episode 1 is an hour and a half? not up for that today lol

But how do you know for a fact that YouTube doesn't have permission to run Roots for free? How do you know the lady who posts Downton Abbey doesn't have permission to run it? You don't know, that's what I am saying. Just because something is posted for free doesn't make it illegal, IMHO. Maybe Roots has a copyright that ran out, and maybe the woman running Downton Abbey has a cousin who is a producer on Downton Abbey and they allow her to post it after it runs, who knows.