Menu

Where DO you buy quality clothes?

KungFuPanda

The Lands End thread has me wondering. Do any of you have a source for excellent clothing? I'm less concerned about the kids because I have one of each and they outgrow things fast, or want to be stylish. However, DH and I should be able to wear our clothes for ages and that has just stopped happening lately. DHs clothes just don't seem to last anymore and I don't 'think' he's being particularly destructive. He just needs the Engineer Wardrobe . . . Khaki dockers and polos or button down oxfords. It seems I've bought some real duds over the last few years and, despite shopping, have NOT effectively increased his wardrobe.

Where DO you guys get good clothes for DH? Right now mine is coasting on being the eccentric smart guy at work and is getting away with some fashion atrocities, but my gut tells me this is a slippery slope to looking like an overgrown urchin. He'll wear whatever magically appears in his closet. Any advice?

For kids I shop at Old Navy for Jeans. I purchase shirts from Children's Place or Target. I have found many stores have high quality clothes if you take your time to pay attention to the products. I personally think the shirts from Old Navy, especially the tshirts, do not hold up to my standards. However, for kids, Children's Place shirts seem to hold up and get passed down for other younglings to enjoy as well. I also like their jeans for the kids.

For me; I like to shop at maurices.com for blouses. They have some really high quality blouses and they seem to last. I have one top that is two years old, worn heavily and still looks brand new. Likewise, I would still not purchase a tshirt from this place. I shop Dick's sporting goods for good active wear and typically prefer reebok brand. Running shoes I purchase Brooks brand. Jeans, I prefer Old Navy.

For DH: Aeropostal jeans and tshirts

I buy all my pants from Victorias Secret because they have long inseams and wear well. All the guys in the house get the majority of their jeans from the western wear store here since wranglers seem to last for a LONG time ( my youngest ds is wearing a pair that has been through 6 boys so far and no holes yet). My dd is rather picky about her styles as is my youngest about his good clothes. For them we have gotten a few things at gap, the children's place, lands end, and a variety of other small locally owned places.

We like J Crew and Banana Republic

I also shop anthropologie and Madewell, but those are women only stores.

Another one to check out is Boden.

(None of these stores are cheap, I shop sales, I never buy full price.)

Boden has gone the way of Land's end. It's nowhere near as good quality as it used to be. The cotton has got much less hard wearing.

Eddie Bauer, Coldwater Creek, Macy's for the adults. Children's Place, gymboree (but they are variable), Gap and Levi for kids jeans. We try to buy second hand. If I stay with those brands I'm generally safe. We like jumping bean for boys shoes. My boys have wide feet. We used to like stride rite but they are out of business. We have great difficulty finding good boys wide shoes and sneakers. My girls have narrow feet so most higher end sneakers fit them well.

Nice stuff from Nordstrom. Cheap stuff from Target. Fun stuff from Anthropologie. I pair it all up and look like mess, I'm sure.

Dh doesn't need real clothes. He works in the middle of the night and could show up in a rain parka and bunny slippers and I don't think anyone would ever notice.

For DH: Eddie Bauer & LLBean (everyday clothing) & Jos A. Banks (work clothing). We watch sales carefully and ask for gift cards for birthdays and Christmas. They last well from either of these places. He's still wearing EB stuff from college (almost 13 years ago)!

For me: Eddie Bauer, Coldwater Creek, or LLBean when I want something classic that will last. I often just buy t-shirts from Target or Kohls if I need simple daily things - they only last 1 year though. I also shop at thrift stores for myself.

For the kids: Children's Place, Old Navy (jeans), Crazy 8, Target (outdoor clothes) and LLBean for jackets. I have also noticed that Lands End has gone down in quality. I buy second-hand for the kids as well.

I went to a Coldwater Creek outlet a few days ago. I have some CC stuff from the thrift store so I thought I would like it. All of the knit shirts were so thin they were sometimes transparent. And it seems like everything is designed to make you buy 2 items of clothing - ie, sweaters with a low v-neck so you need a shirt under it. And all of it seemed overpriced even on sale and an additional 50% off! I left without buying anything. I'll stick to the thrift store.

Dh has gotten some nice clothes at Men's Wearhouse and either Belk or Macys. But he lives in jeans, so I can't say how they'd live up to hard wear. For jeans, he mostly buys Levis on sale.

For myself, my better clothes are from Talbots Petite. I have a consignment shop nearby that only accepts designer brands, so I've gotten some Ann Taylor and other nice clothes there. My favorite score was Not Your Daughter's Jeans for $31. I have been living in them! I mostly buy cheaper clothes from Kohl's and Macys on sale, but sometimes I need some better clothes for work if I am seeing a client.

I went to a Coldwater Creek outlet a few days ago. I have some CC stuff from the thrift store so I thought I would like it. All of the knit shirts were so thin they were sometimes transparent. And it seems like everything is designed to make you buy 2 items of clothing - ie, sweaters with a low v-neck so you need a shirt under it. And all of it seemed overpriced even on sale and an additional 50% off! I left without buying anything. I'll stick to the thrift store.

I totally agree about their shirts. Plus they're too tight on me.

But their knit jeans are the best I've ever worn and all I'll buy.

For me, I am happy with the quality of The Gap and Ann Taylor. For dress pants, i like Express Editors. My Dh gets his clothes from Nordstom and Dillards. He especially likes Gold Label, Daniel Cremieux and BB. I take a lot of care with out clothes. Little to no detergent, I use the hand wash cycle, wash everything inside out and I NEVER use the dryer for our clothes. Most of his clothes remain pill and fade free 4-6 years later.

I get a lot of stuff at TJ Maxx and Nordstrom Rack but I'm careful NOT to buy cotton or other cheap thin knit material if I can avoid it. Usually if I'm spending more on something I try to get it in a simple design so it will be a staple and then I buy the more frivolous stuff on the cheap. If I find a brand I do like, I often check the price on Amazon but only after I've bought and washed and worn one and am sure i'll like it. I hate returns through online dealers, such a pain.

My husband gets clothes very rarely but when I can make him, he gets good brands and we usually find them at nordstrom or macys. Sometimes I find him stuff at TJ Maxx, too.

I shop thrift stores often, but only buys clothes if they still have tags on them or look totally new AND are good brands. Goodwill in particular will put a higher price on clothes you could get at target for less. There is an upscale boutique Goodwill in my town, and I do check them out whenever I have work nearby. They only sell the first class brands, so half my work is done as far as picking over stuff.

My MIL likes to buy me clothes, so I try to keep a few things in mind for when she comes to town. Otherwise, I am "done" with the mall about 4 hours before she's ready to leave and we start to drive each other mad.

FYI Dillards has an annual 50% of sale and clearance prices on January 1st. It's both online and in store. I think online it starts at midnight. I've gone to the stores before but won't be going this year (not much of a shopper here).

Here's a link to the sale & clearance stuff but the 50% off won't show til New Year's day.

http://www.dillards.com/content/Dillard-Sale-Clearance?cm_sp=splashlink-_-hero1es1-_-122612_ChristmasSale