Menu

Can anyone recommend really good kitchen knives?

lynn

Mine are over 20years old. We received them as a Wedding gift but the handles are starting to wear on the handles. I did purchase one knife from pampered chef about 10 years ago and have been unimpressed even though it came in it's own sharpening case. So what is your suggestion for good allpurpose kitchen knives for chopping and slicing?

Henkels are good, as are Chicago Cutlery. BUT....my favorite, and the only ones I have in my kitchen, are made by Cutco Cutlery. You have to find a rep to come sell them to you, but they're fantastic knives. I actually sold them when I was in college 20 years ago and I still use the ones I had then every day. They look as good and work as well as the ones I've purchased since.

Plus, you can send them back to the factory for sharpening for free for the life of the knives. I've only done it once in 20 years. They're not cheap, but no "good" knives are.

We were given a high end Chicago Cutlery for our wedding 16 years ago. At the time I was impressed because of how well they performed compared to what I used growing up. However, I hate hand washing dishes and so everything goes into the dishwasher. The wood handles have not stood up well to that. Over time the blades have also developed a lot of nicks. I'm not nearly as impressed with them anymore. Over and over I've heard Cutco recommended on the boards. I really balked at the price because it seemed outrageous to be to spend $50 or more on a single knife. However, my husband convinced my to by a cheese knife because we have never found anything that did that job well on hard cheeses and at the demo, the Cutco knife was pretty impressive. Anyways we got the cheese knife, I adore it. Not only can I cut paper thin slices on soft cheese and hard cheeses, it makes fabulous thin slices of tomatoes without squishing them. We have since bought 3 more (paring knife, bread knife and a chef? - used for chopping veggies- knife), I have found that these 4 knives do everything for me. Of course the Cutco guy is always trying to sell me more but really I have found these 4 knives handles everything. And I love that the handles are dishwasher safe.

Either Henckels or Wusthof. Buy the highest quality you can afford and treat them with care (hand wash, use the steel to "true" them after each use, sharpen regularly).

Resist the urge to buy a box set and consider what you really need. I could get away with a chef knife, a bread knife, and a paring knife. The rest of my knives sit in the block most of the time. I have a mid-grade set of Henckels that were a gift and I'm very happy with them, but if I were going to replace them, I'd go high-grade and just have a few.

We have some really terrific knives. I don't think they have any name left on them. they are not matching. We got them all over the years from the op-shop. I guess someone threw them out when they got sick of them and got new knives??

they are way better than any knife I have personally seen in any shop.

I agree! I pack mine to take on vacation. :)

Im glad im not the only one! I love my Wüsthof! It was really down to them of Henckels, but the Wüsthof Grand Prix (which they have since discontinued) fit my hands and balanced perfectly.

Go to a store that sells higher end knives (Williams-Sonoma, etc) and feel the different brands, lines, and knives until you find the one that's right for you. For instance, part of the reason I love mine is that they have smooth handles. The more squared ones chafe my fingers when I do a lot of knife work.

I don't own a honing steel, but I do have the professionally sharpened (at a tool sharpening outfit - great work and cheap!) about once a year. They stay very sharp.

Another Cutco family here...

My step mother has had her set for 30 years (my step sister sold them in college!)... she has sent them to be sharpend one time.... they still slice tomatoes without squishing...

I've had my set for 15 years. LOVE THEM! -throw them in the dishwasher all the time with no worries (but you do have to be careful unloading!).

We found a great deal on Ebay for a starter set for our daughters...

My favorite pieces are the steak knives... I use them for everthing (instead of the paring knife). I recently got the cheese knife-- can't wait to try it out today!

Love the double D blades-- almost too easy to cut with and you don't have to sharpen (well every 10 years or so!).

I can't imagine only sharpening a knife once a year. we have professional quality knife sharpeners (easily obtained in higher end kitchen stores), and they are sharpened as needed. the hone is to help straighten the blade edge after using the steel/sharpener, you will have little bits of metal "hanging" (only visible under magnification) and at odd angles.

dh gave his sister some chicago's years ago. (mostly, he was tired of her asking him to cut stuff up at her house, and every last knife was dull.) she treats her knives like garbage - throwing them in the dishwasher (one of the worst things you can do to a knife.), etc. he now brings his own, as her's are now in such poor condition, they dont' sharpen adequately anymore.

we can tell the difference in performance/feel between just sharpened chicagos, henckles and wusthof. the wusfhof holds a sharper edge for longer too. I remember the first time I sliced a tomato with the wusthof - it was like going through butter, it was so smooth and easy.

One more vote for Cutco. I've had mine over 15 years and they still work great. I've never had them sharpened. I put the small ones in the dishwasher and they're fine. I did have a problem with the "joint" on my kitchen shears a few years ago, and they replaced them immediately, no questions asked.

Honestly, what matters is how sharp it is, not the brand.

Use a honer every time you cut and have them professionally sharpened every few years.

I think it matters what type of steel the knife blade is made of. Some steel holds an edge better.

We have found the best knife blades are made out of steel -not stainless steel. Of course you need to keep them oiled in between use, but boy do they keep a sharp edge.