Menu

Wanted: Stocking stuffer ideas, preferably... odd (but not gag gifts)

nmoira

I'm now to the deer-in-the-headlights portion of my Christmas preparations. Stockings are half full... it's almost like they've grown since last year. Can they do that? I'm hoping we can have a thread with stocking stuffer ideas (preferably with links) the help out the unimaginative online shoppers like me. :)

What I have is the part we do every year:

box of four Moonstruck truffles

a nice (big) candycane

and.... I'm stuck. Gah! My kids like... odd things.

ETA: Oh, and I picked up a Lamy Safari fountain pen for DD the Elder. (There are many colours available).

Think Geek has some clever stocking stuffers. Bacon and cupcake flavored toothpaste and floss come to mind. Oh, and the Thinking Putty was a big hit in our family last year.

Thanks. :) Which kind of thinking putty did you get? I was was considering one of the magnetic ones, but heard mixed reviews.

We tend to get food stuffs or disposable items:

straws

Reed's Ginger Candy Chews (the ones in the white box)

pocket-sized bottle of TUMS

cartoon bandaids

Liquorice Altoids

Ball Freezer Cups (my dh loves these for carrying snacks)

Furikake (goes great on rice or popcorn!)

Glass wipes for the car

small microwaveable Chef Boyardee mini Ravioli (they're only good once a year or when you have pain from braces adjustments)

Pocky

Gum like Canels (I find this at the local mercado) or the fancy kind like this which you can find at Party America stores

plastic shot glasses (great for serving ketchup or veggie dip)

ETA: these locking rings make great key rings besides holding papers together

Someone else mentioned giving kids a roll of scotch tape or duct tape and letting them go to town with it. I bought scotch tape for my boys this year. I gave my nephew the magnetic thinking putty last year, and he had a great time going around the house to see where it stuck (he's 12).

Dh surprised me by adding these to my sons' stockings last year. They were a huge hit!

Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans and patterned duct tape (camouflage and leopard print) are the not-so-common things going in stockings here... there will also be an assortment of other candies (plus big chocolate oranges), hand sanitizers/nail polish, character toothbrushes, and slipper socks.

You can get names in vinyl at Uppercase Living (<------ my site, full disclosure). I've applied their names to glass Christmas ornaments before, or they can use them wherever they'd like, like on a bedroom wall or their bathroom mirror or school notebook.

I got some Matchbox Melodies music boxes with Deck the House at Amazon. Really fun.

Mine are getting the slingshot monkeys and silly string as well! Funny to see both of those suggestions here. We saw the slingshot sock monkey at a park playdate the other day and they LOVED them. I ordered them the ones with the masks and capes and think they will really like them. I got the silly string when all the Halloween stuff was 70% off. The kids saw this for the first time this year at a birthday party and really wanted some of their own, I think they will be surprised by it.

They are getting a few other things as well. Some include stamps/stamp pads, a big pack of Crayola twistables colored pencils, a mini erector set, mini pin ball game, and mini legos. I usually throw in some small things too like chapstick, a game for the Leap Pad/DS or something fun like that.

My kids get a different box of flavored tea each year and their own packages of unusual dried fruit that we don't normally buy. I did get Ds some gold duck tape and he and Dd each got their own nail grooming kit so I won't have to hunt for mine all the time (unusual, but maybe not too exciting).

ETA: They also love getting a really nice set of pens. We once had a purple pen that everyone in the house fought over. That was my inspiration for stocking stuffer pens one year. And, they are always begging me for good pens when we are out.

Dh surprised me by adding these to my sons' stockings last year. They were a huge hit!

Someone else mentioned giving kids a roll of scotch tape or duct tape and letting them go to town with it. I bought scotch tape for my boys this year. I gave my nephew the magnetic thinking putty last year, and he had a great time going around the house to see where it stuck (he's 12).

A few years ago we put Scotch tape and envelopes in our boys' stockings (they were 3 & 5 then). MIL thought we were nuts, but they loved it. And it kept them out of MY supplies (for a month or so, anyway!).

I'm printing information from Pinterest or blogs in brochure format. For my FIL I'm making a brochure about how throw a knife without it spinning. :D

Today the kids made tissue paper ornaments /sun catchers for the relatives that we will be spending Christmas day with. (I blogged about it but I can't link because I'm on dh's phone so check out the link in my signature.)

Ds6 is also "sewing " bookmarks using yarn and plastic canvas.

ETA: http://sceleratusclassicalacademy.blogspot.com/2012/12/tissue-paper-ornaments-sun-catchers.html