Menu

Looking for a new home for 6 chickens and a cat

somo_chickenlady

We live near Springfield/Branson, Missouri. My husband and I have run into some unforseen difficulties are having to sell our acreage and move back to Nebraska. We will be living in a town house, so we are unable to take chickens with us, and we cannot afford the pet deposit so we need to rehome our cat as well. We have already found homes for our dogs. I have contacted a local rescue about our cat, but have not heard back.

Our cat, who we call Nora, is 4.5 years old (born on May 8th, 2008) and we have had her since she was 8 weeks old. She has never in that time gone outside of her litterbox. She is a great cat, just a bit overweight, and she likes to lick the fur off of her belly and back legs. She is spayed, but not declawed. She is really good about letting you trim her nails, though, and I will trim them for you before you take her. She gets really nervous around small children, so she would do better in a home with older children (she does fine with our 13 year old, just littles that move fast and make a lot of noise scare her). She has never been outside, so I want to find a home for her that will promise to keep her inside. She will come with a scratch pad and whatever food we have left for her. She currently eats Cat Chow Healthy Weight, and can also eat Cat Chow Indoor Formula, but has vomited on any other kind of food we have tried to give her, including the expensive ones.

(I don't know why my pictures look so huge...at least on my end...the largest side is only 500 pixels. *sigh* I appologize.)

**If you live between Springfield, MO and Omaha, NE, we would be willing to bring her to you when we move if you are interested in that.**

33594_10150262244320461_1910785_n.jpg

179547_10151876057105461_1096475730_n.jpg

404866_10151056695255461_685642510_n.jpg

As for the chickens, I have 5 hens - 1 Black Australorp (lt brown eggs), 1 Black Ameraucana (green eggs), 1 Brown Ameraucana (green eggs), 1 Ameraucana/Brahma mix (green eggs), and 1 Black Tailed White Japanese bantam (ornamental, most likely won't lay eggs). I also have one cockerel, a Gold Laced Sebright, who is tiny. Sebrights are ornamental and generally infertile. He does crow, but it isn't very loud, we can only hear him if he is standing right next to the house. I prefer for them to go together as one group, b/c the Ameraucana/Brahma mix raised the rest (except the Australorp) from chicks and she grew up with the Australorp, so they are all very attached to one another. They are used to being free range, and they are all disease and parasite free. They are "friendly" (meaning not aggressive, but only the Australorp will allow you to pick her up willingly) and will all come when you call them for food. They will actually follow you around the yard.

(L-R) Brown Ameraucana, Ameraucana/Brahma mix, Black Australorp

112812chx22.jpg

Black Ameraucana

112812chx12.jpg

Black Tailed White Japanese Bantam (she is about the size of a softball)

112812chx32.jpg

Gold Laced Sebright cockerel (he is slightly bigger than the white one)

112812chx42.jpg

If anyone is interested in either our cat or my chickens, please PM me. Thank you!!

Just bumping your thread in the hope that someone will be able to help you.

I wish I could take Nora -- she is GORGEOUS!!! I wish your new landlord would give you a break on the deposit so you'd be able to keep her. She looks so sweet. :001_wub:

And I don't know anything about chickens, but I love the Gold Laced Sebright cockerel. He's beautiful!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. It breaks my heart to get rid of our pets, especially my cat b/c she is the best cat in the world (I may be biased haha). The only place we can really get into with our credit (nasty medical bills) is where both of DH's siblings live/lived, so they are already giving us a huge break with our other deposits. :( I really wish we could keep them. I'm just hoping I can find them loving homes. :crying:

I'd be willing to chip in to help pay for your security deposit. I'd love it if you could keep your beautiful cat. If twenty-five of us gave just $10 each, that would be $250. Is anyone else willing to help?

I would chip in too if someone tells me how. I would be heartbroken to leave my two kitties behind :( She is such a doll and so obviously loved and cherished.

The OP was appreciative, but told me she really couldn't accept our contributions. Also, she does not have a Paypal account. I suggested that perhaps we could all send our gifts to a moderator (or maybe another long-standing and trusted forum member?), who could then forward them on to her. I haven't heard back from her yet, but am so hoping that she will still consider this.

I know many of us would take her cat if we could and want to do something to help. I am so encouraged by all of you.

I am not far from springfield, I can't take the kitty, because my husband would make me and my cats live in the garage, but I will do some asking around.

OP if you have Facebook, PM me, I've got a lot of animal nuts on my list and it might be worth a shot to cross post there.

Have you put flyers up in your vets office?

Also if you don't have PayPal, one of those Walmart cards makes it super easy to send money, donaters could just buy a moneypac and send you the numbers off the card.

Another option would be use those prepaid visa gift cards.

I haven't heard back from the OP, so I'm assuming she hasn't changed her mind and can't accept the donations. I sincerely hope I haven't caused any offense. Thanks so much to all of you who wanted to help.

OP, I'll be praying that you find a wonderful, loving home for your cat or can find a way to keep her. :grouphug:

I haven't heard back from the OP, so I'm assuming she hasn't changed her mind and can't accept the donations. I sincerely hope I haven't caused any offense.

Probably just crazy-busy with packing. It must be hard to give up your dream (at least for the moment). Look at those beautiful eggs in her picture. :grouphug:

Awww, I'd take Nora in a heartbeat---- wish we lived closer! And I'd be happy to donate too, if the OP would accept it. Please, OP---- consider our offer! Tis the season of giving, and personally speaking, it would make me very happy to help in a very small way to keep Nora with your family. Please?

So sorry you're going through this.

astrid