Menu

Party games for adults?

Audrey

We've enjoyed Catch Phrase--great group game that is fast-paced and gets everyone involved.

ETA: There's another game we enjoyed with a group. We played it so long ago I can't remember the name. There were 2 teams and a stack of cards with words on them. The teams battled back and forth to sing at least 8 words to songs that had that word in them. The teams had to come up with a different song each time. Example: the word is "bells." Team 1 sings Jingle Bells, then Team 2 sings Silver Bells, Team 1 sings Jingle Bell Rock, etc. This game is simple enough to make up your own set of word cards.

Taboo is great fun. You divide into teams though. Not sure if that is something you're looking for. The idea is to get your team to guess the word you are giving them hints about, but there are 4 words you cannot say. Like if you're trying to get them to guess George Washington, you probably couldn't use the word president as a hint. It's especially fun to play with people you know because you have more experience to draw from. For example, I got tea kettle and all I had to say was it's a white thing sitting on my stovetop and dd14 automatically knew what it was. It's brilliant fun.

Apples to Apples gets another vote here. We like that you can have up to 8 players. And the kids enjoy it, too. It's a good all around game. There are a few words like 'sexy', but nothing I mind my kids seeing (12 and 9).

Other favorites are Uno, Trivial Pursuit, and Scattegories. My dh and I like to play Sequence but that's only up to 3 players.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far! I'll definitely check those out. We are planning a winter get-together with friends and I think my friend might have Scattergories, so I'll ask her about that one. We do have Trivial Pursuit, but we've played that so many times. I'm looking for something different from that.

Dixit

http://tabletop.geekandsundry.com/episodes/dixit-leo-chu-casey-mckinnon-and-beth-riesgraf-join-wil-on-tabletop-episode-12/

Another popular one if you have 6+ people is Gestures. At least that is what I thought it was called. But I'm looking and can't find it online. :(

I think it is spelled "Guess-tures"

Times Up - Total Recall is great fun!

This is the game you are looking for. We play it all the time with friends and it never fails to make all of us laugh so hard that I worry I'm going to wet my pants.

We got Wise and Otherwise as a gift ages ago and think it's fun.

Wise and Otherwise is our favorite game for a group of up to six people when all the players are aged ten and up.

From Amazon: "Voted a Best Party Game of the Year by Games magazine, Wise and Otherwise belongs next to Pictionary and Scrabble in your arsenal of fun. This creative, interactive game (read: everybody shouting, flailing, laughing) revolves around 500 cards, each emblazoned with five obscure and long-forgotten sayings from around the world. For example, one old Chinese saying is, "Don't add salt to a boatload of salt fish." One side of the card states, "Don't add salt to..." and it is the job of the players to devise probable endings. "Don't add salt to salty soup," for example. Or, "Don't add salt to the open wound." (The actual endings are listed on the flip sides of the cards.) A player wins points when other players vote for his or her special ending, or when the player guesses the actual ending, so the goal is to finish the proverb as convincingly as possible given the geographic region in question. Each elegant box contains one game board, 500 cards, six writing pads, six pencils, one die, and six player pawns. People who love language, oddly hilarious translations, offbeat proverbs, or just making people look foolish by guessing their very clever answers will adore this game. We predict: The one who plays this game ... will hear the laughter."

Regards,

Kareni