Menu

November Declutter Challenge Week One!!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far here today I've cleaned out the silverware and my big kitchen utensil drawer. Both of them really just needed to be washed as I'd cleaned them out not very long ago (how they collect crumbs so much I don't know!). The refrigerator freezer was cleaned out as well, which wasn't planned but had to be done to do refrigerator problems. I cleaned out half the frig last week so I'd like to finish it and wash out my other 3 drawers but we will see. I have a midwife appt and American Heritage Girls tonight so I'm running out of time.

Hi all! Okay, so the big day is finally here. Decluttering WOOT! WEEK ONE: KITCHEN

Monday November 5, Day 1:

Twenty Minute Group Focus: Junk Drawer. Remove everything from your junk drawer. Throw away anything broken, useless, or unused over past 6 months that you know you will not use again.

I did it! I threw away those stupid corn-on-the-cob holders that we Never Ever use. (and some very very old packets of Taco Bell mild sauce. :blushing:)

Twenty Minute Optional Focus:

Today I cleaned off and scrubbed my back kitchen counter. I know that seems trivial but it was piled with various crocks of saurkraut, bowls, papers, rice cooker, etc. Now it's completely empty and clean and my brain can relax when I look over there.

Also wanted to add that dds9 & 6 bedroom is completely clean - finished it last night. All we need to do is throw out the broken dresser and rehome a rocking chair. All clothes are in their closet - either hanging or on a shelf in a small bin. Under the bunkbed is clean and mopped (found a library book!). I threw out 3 big bags of empty boxes, paper scraps, worn out clothes, and a few toys that were just not worth trying to save or give.

I got all seven top drawers done plus two others. I have four drawers left then pullouts (4), the pantry, under the sink and upper cabinets. LOTS of upper cabinets. Those alone will take 2-3 days.

I also cleaned three more fridge door shelves and threw out that one last bit of something in there that needed to go (Did the rest of the leftover tossing yesterday.). With the fridge, I am timing it so when I get to the meat drawer it's empty and then I'll be done with it. Should be Thursday.

I had done my junk drawers (yes, plural) recently, so I attacked my utensil drawers (not junk drawers, right? ha!)

I took everything out, wiped down the inside and put everything back in. I don't tend to collect utensils, so I didn't need to get rid of everything.

Since my good friend is coming into town tonight, I quickly wiped down my cutlery drawer, too.

These would've made boring pics. Because I didn't organize them, hehe, just threw them back in :tongue_smilie:

I cleaned my microwave for my bonus task. Now that is pictureworthy. Believe me, it was MUCH grosser in person.

I put the juice of one lemon in a bowl with about 1 cup of vinegar. Microwaved it for 2 minutes and let it sit for a few minutes after that. Wiped everything down with a cloth and some baking soda. It came off so easily!

8159352172_6a07a1a9bf_m.jpg

IMG_0582 by 2kim4, on Flickr

And after:

8159353322_5ec51d5cb7_m.jpg

IMG_0583 by 2kim4, on Flickr

Glad we can do this together!

I had done my junk drawers (yes, plural) recently, so I attacked my utensil drawers (not junk drawers, right? ha!)

I took everything out, wiped down the inside and put everything back in. I don't tend to collect utensils, so I didn't need to get rid of everything.

Since my good friend is coming into town tonight, I quickly wiped down my cutlery drawer, too.

These would've made boring pics. Because I didn't organize them, hehe, just threw them back in :tongue_smilie:

I cleaned my microwave for my bonus task. Now that is pictureworthy. Believe me, it was MUCH grosser in person.

I put the juice of one lemon in a bowl with about 1 cup of vinegar. Microwaved it for 2 minutes and let it sit for a few minutes after that. Wiped everything down with a cloth and some baking soda. It came off so easily!

8159352172_6a07a1a9bf_m.jpg

IMG_0582 by 2kim4, on Flickr

And after:

8159353322_5ec51d5cb7_m.jpg

IMG_0583 by 2kim4, on Flickr

Glad we can do this together!

Awesome tip!!!! I'll be using that one.

I didn't go with the plan as posted -- my kitchen was mostly organized and cabinets cleaned and polished a month ago. I did straighten my pantry and cleaned out the fridge. Then I stocked up on groceries and everything is put away all nice and orderly.

I went through 3 bins of old clothes and condensed it down to one. Three kitchen trash bags of clothes and misc. went to our local women's shelter.

I also cleaned 3.5 bathrooms. That was fun -- especially the boys' bathroom :001_huh:!

Part of my decluttering and organizing has to do my computer and digital pictures. I spent 2 hours yesterday uploading pics from the past 3 months and started deleting the bad ones and organizing the rest.

I also spent about 2 hours filing away months worth of paper work yesterday.

Tomorrow I will likely be standing in a long line to vote, so my goal for tomorrow is to work on my pictures for another hour or 2. Even though school's are closed tomorrow, we will be doing our schooling because I want to take extra time off in December/January :D.

I'll get back on track going through more storage bins on Wednesday.

Keep up the good work everyone. WE CAN DO THIS!!!

First, thanks so much for organizing this!

My junk drawer is in the mud room, but I had a drawer full of bibs and burp cloths (um, my kids are 7 and 5) so I emptied that, moved the drink bottles there, reorganized a cabinet and found a place for mybreadmaker. Then I started on my utensil drawers because we will be out most the day tomorrow. I have one left.

This thread does make t easier!

OK, so I had a few minutes to do the drawer while cooking dinner. Unfortunately, I have a perfection issue, so I spent more time searching the house for exactly right little containers for the front of the drawer than I did actually going through the drawer! :lol: But I solved the problem, so I'm satisfied. I didn't wash the containers, but I can live with that!

post-57635-13535087812008_thumb.jpg

post-57635-13535087812436_thumb.jpg

post-57635-13535087812008_thumb.jpg

post-57635-13535087812436_thumb.jpg

OK, so I had a few minutes to do the drawer while cooking dinner. Unfortunately, I have a perfection issue, so I spent more time searching the house for exactly right little containers for the front of the drawer than I did actually going through the drawer! :lol: But I solved the problem, so I'm satisfied. I didn't wash the containers, but I can live with that!

looks great. kids are playing minecraft (special treat so I can tackle the drawer) and I am off!!! WIll post back in 30 min or so!!!

I don't really have a junk drawer. I have junk piles. So today instead I sorted through the current bins of school books and reorganized them between currently using and to be used later (with the livingroom being renovated none of our school things are like they should be).

Got the junk drawer cleaned and wiped out with Clorox spray. Did the same with the cooking utensil drawer and also the silverware drawer.

Strangest thing I found...3 old, dead cell phones and their chargers that dh had tucked away in the back of the silverware drawer.:confused: Is it just me or is the reasoning behind this a bit unclear? Are my spoons calling the Oneida corporation and asking for replacements for their missing comrades?

My optional task was a no-fun one. I had to help dh clean out the chimney and then vaccuum up all the errant soot. I had wanted to wash the kitchen window and sill/sash and launder the kitchen curtains, but nope, the chimney took precedence. So hopefully I can fit the window in somewhere.

Got the junk drawer cleaned and wiped out with Clorox spray. Did the same with the cooking utensil drawer and also the silverware drawer.

Strangest thing I found...3 old, dead cell phones and their chargers that dh had tucked away in the back of the silverware drawer.:confused: Is it just me or is the reasoning behind this a bit unclear? Are my spoons calling the Oneida corporation and asking for replacements for their missing comrades?

My optional task was a no-fun one. I had to help dh clean out the chimney and then vaccuum up all the errant soot. I had wanted to wash the kitchen window and sill/sash and launder the kitchen curtains, but nope, the chimney took precedence. So hopefully I can fit the window in somewhere.

Are you sure he's not a spy and those are his backups?:D

I *cough* got NOTHING done in the kitchen today. I did however, clean the porch MESS my husband left after installing some new windows this weekend. Which included a pallet of cardboard, foam castoffs and power tools.

However, yesterday I scrubbed the kitchen baseboards and entirely cleaned out the cupboard above the refrigerator that I'm going to use to rehome the crockpot and a few other large appliances. :D

I think tomorrow I will clean out the utensil drawer and maybe the cabinet that houses the popcorn popper.

My extras are going to be: clean under the stove and fridge and clean the inside of oven.

I love this thread - it's a great motivator.

I did the junk drawer, but haven't managed my optional task yet. It will have to be after dinner.

I've added a new optional task of cleaning out/reorganizing the Tupperware drawer since I'm the only ne talented enough to close it.

Once you start, there's always more to do.

I got the junk drawers in the living room cleaned out as well as the drawer in my side table. I didn't have much to pitch or donate, but my dh had been rummaging through them so they were not organized into the nice little containers I had bought a few years back. Tonight I was bored so I did all the drawers in the kitchen, which weren't to bad since I'd gone through them this summer when I bought new measuring cups/spoons and cooking utensils.

I needed to bump up that cutlery drawer and the others so that I can move my fridge/pantry to tomorrow because Wednesday is garbage day and I don't like having that stuff sit around in the cans.

i didnt do the junk drawer- im following a bit of a different schedule.

Today I did:

organized the kids closet

took 1/2 of the hallway closet to storage

threw out the falling apart chair in the living room

picked up the bathroom

freecycles the old dishes

Tomorrow:

Re-arrange living room

Go through my closet/hang my clothes

take rest of hall closet and my closet to storage

:)

Is anyone else plagued by mystery keys? It seems everyone has a set. Or several...

Last year when we redid our kitchen, dh and I finally sat down together and went over a huge pile of them.

I actually still had a set of keys to a car I sold over fifteen years ago. He had a set to a pickup we've not owned for five years. Others were for doors that no longer exist (We added on and the old front door was filled in) etc.

It's amazing the stuff we just never bother to toss. Especially if it's just some little stuff. That little stuff adds up! I only have a tiny junk drawer, and it's now mostly empty.

I was telling dh today that my frustration with the house is that I would actually like a month with nothing else to do but go through every last thing we own and get rid of all the accumulated crud.

I was telling dh today that my frustration with the house is that I would actually like a month with nothing else to do but go through every last thing we own and get rid of all the accumulated crud.

I did this. When we lived in our last apartment. I literally threw things out the window and paid someone to take them to the dumpster!

No junk drawer here, but many junk boxes. I sorted out over a dozen boxes yesterday, but today didn't get any done :glare: Instead I filled the cookie tin with ANZAC biscuits, made a meatloaf to bake tomorrow when I get home from work, cooked some steak& kidney intending to make a pie for dinner, but instead threw some frozen chips in the oven & heated up left-over brocolli. I made the mistake of telling ds#1 the meat was steak & kidney, so he wouldn't touch it :tongue_smilie: But as he finally finished one of his tech units, I decided not to fuss.

Tomorrow I have to teach at the local intermediate school. I'll aim to get the following finished:

---clean-out both cutlery drawers

---clean-out bag drawer

---clean-out teatowel drawer

---sort out 2 junk boxes from lounge

I'm pretending I don't see the pile of boxes still cluttering up the lounge as I'm off to bed. I need my sleep to handle 30+ intermediate school kids ;)

Thanks for starting this thread. It's much more affective to work as part of a group, even if our group stretches around the world.

Sounds awesome everyone! I didnt have a chance to post my photos last night as I fell asleep early, but will post them this morning.

Today's challenge is the Cutlery Drawer. I am also going to fit in an optional, which will be the area under my kitchen sink.

Sounds awesome everyone! I didnt have a chance to post my photos last night as I fell asleep early, but will post them this morning.

Today's challenge is the Cutlery Drawer. I am also going to fit in an optional, which will be the area under my kitchen sink.

I thought I'd tackle the cabinet under the sink also.

I did this. When we lived in our last apartment. I literally threw things out the window and paid someone to take them to the dumpster!

I just told my dh on Sunday, isn't it time to get another dumpster and start chucking? We do this about every 5 years. Really. We rent a dumpster. No junk drawers, but junk sheds, cabinets. I just haven't had time yet this week as the cabinet is a full day's activity.

That is an excellent idea. I've once again reached the point where I have to shuffle things every time I need a dishwasher tab. Not good. I'll post back later, hopefully with pictures.

Yep, mystery keys...and mystery batteries. The expiration says 2018. Hmmm. Are they any good, or are they dead? How do we figure it out?!

And mystery tools. What is this thing? It looks like a spark plug socket, but it's some kind of fiberglass and has a socket at either end + a hole to put something in for leverage. Neither dh nor I have seen it before. It was in the junk drawer:

It's about 8" long. I still have it because dh thought it looked useful. For now. ;)

And mystery tools. What is this thing? It looks like a spark plug socket, but it's some kind of fiberglass and has a socket at either end + a hole to put something in for leverage. Neither dh nor I have seen it before. It was in the junk drawer:

[ATTACH]10856[/ATTACH]

It's about 8" long. I still have it because dh thought it looked useful. For now. ;)

Isn't that a socket wrench extension? It looks like the thing I used when I needed to remove a bolt that was deep inside the stem of my (top-load) washing machine agitator and the socket wrench couldn't reach down that far. I attached that thing to the wrench and it made it so the wrench action would reach down into the stem to the bolt. Does that make sense? Ours aren't fiberglass though, so I could be wrong!

Isn't that a socket wrench extension? It looks like the thing I used when I needed to remove a bolt that was deep inside the stem of my (top-load) washing machine agitator and the socket wrench couldn't reach down that far. I attached that thing to the wrench and it made it so the wrench action would reach down into the stem to the bolt. Does that make sense? Ours aren't fiberglass though, so I could be wrong!

It was in the kitchen, and we have a good many tools elsewhere, so the theory that it goes to an appliance is a good one. Possibly the dishwasher. In any case, my junk drawer is mostly empty, so it's staying for now.

[ATTACH]10856[/ATTACH]

It looks like it goes to a food processor. One end goes on the base, and the plate with the shredder goes on top.

It was in the kitchen, and we have a good many tools elsewhere, so the theory that it goes to an appliance is a good one. Possibly the dishwasher. In any case, my junk drawer is mostly empty, so it's staying for now.

Here, its presence in the kitchen wouldn't mean it didn't belong in the garage :lol: We had something like four screwdrivers in the bathroom junk drawer, because every time DH was working in there, he'd leave one, and I'd drop it in the drawer thinking, "Oh, we might need this in here someday, and we have others..." And then we wondered where all our screwdrivers were!

The food processor idea is a good one!

It looks like it goes to a food processor. One end goes on the base, and the plate with the shredder goes on top.

I know what you're talking about, and it's definitely not that. It's much bigger--about 2" longer than the food processor's bowl.

My food processor thingie looks like a little white rocket about 3" long.

Before school I finished the rest of the kitchen drawers and my tupperware and glassware cabinets. I'm hoping to get all the rest of the cabinets washed out today.

that leaves:

under the kitchen sink

herb/spices cabinet

dry goods cabinet

snack cabinet

medicine cabinet

misc canned/bottled goods

pots

None of them are too bad, mostly they need to be washed. I do have some bulk goods that I need to refill however and that will take a bit. I'll feel much better to get this done before the baby because the more I keep the kitchen organized and cleaned the faster I can cook and the easier it is to keep it clean (which might come in handy with a newborn!),