Menu

November Declutter Challenge Week One!!

I was out of the house all day yesterday. So today I am tackling the whole pantry. So far I've gotten about half of it done. At first I was overwhelmed, but then I decided to sketch out the layout of the pantry and assign stuff to the different shelves. It's gone a lot faster since. I'm going to take someone else's optional task and wipe the fronts of the cabinets after I'm done with the pantry.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished an EPIC fridge cleaning. The kind where you take out all the shelves at once and do the walls, and much to my joy I discovered that the veggie drawer does come out! (Putting it back in again is another thing entirely, but it's back now.) I'm all happy because those grotty edges have been bugging me for a long time but I couldn't figure out how to get at them. :)

I just finished an EPIC fridge cleaning. The kind where you take out all the shelves at once and do the walls, and much to my joy I discovered that the veggie drawer does come out! (Putting it back in again is another thing entirely, but it's back now.) I'm all happy because those grotty edges have been bugging me for a long time but I couldn't figure out how to get at them. :)

Isn't it amazing the impact a clean fridge has on you? I cleaned mine all out, and then the hurricane forced me to pretty much empty it of all questionable condiments etc. It's so light and clean and clear now. I wish I could get my whole house feeling like that!

Didn't get to anything yesterday--knew I wouldn't. Today, I did all but one shelf in our kitchen pantry and was able to clean up the food shelves in the garage. Found the veggie broth my dd was looking for just yesterday! We looked and looked and looked! :tongue_smilie:

I will start on my freezers tomorrow as I don't think my fridge needs much work, but my kitchen freezer is full of scary stuff!

This thread is so inspiring! Thanks for organizing the fall cleaning.

My wonderful MIL took the kids for 3 hours today. I was able to clean out under the sink, scrub the kitchen floor and baseboards, clean out behind and under the fridge (ewwww!), scrub the dining room floor, clean out three shelves in the linen closet, and re-organize the medication cabinet.

I'm really grateful for this thread now. I almost didn't do anything today, finally decided not to skip a day, only to discover my freezer is not working! Thankfully it probably hasn't been long - yesterday we realized the ice maker was broken and my soup stock was still frozen - and I have an upright freezer so I was able to move things, but I still ended up with a trash bag of waste :ohmy: . Still, it could have been worse.

OK, so I'm finally able to report in that my teeny-weeny silverware drawer is cleaned out (threw some stuff away, rearranged to a more practical arrangement), under my cabinet is cleaned out (threw some stuff away, rearranged to a more practical arrangement, made enough space that my fire extinguisher is always in front and I have space for a larger dishrag bin), my pantry/cabinets are pretty neat (were cleaned out a few weeks ago, and then purged a little more for a food drive), and I'm about to start on my ceiling fan and my ridiculous over-cabinet kitchen storage. Cross your fingers, ladies--I'm goin' in!

I'm really grateful for this thread now. I almost didn't do anything today, finally decided not to skip a day, only to discover my freezer is not working! Thankfully it probably hasn't been long - yesterday we realized the ice maker was broken and my soup stock was still frozen - and I have an upright freezer so I was able to move things, but I still ended up with a trash bag of waste :ohmy: . Still, it could have been worse.

Yipes!!! Throwing away food is so painful :(

Got everything done for today!

I bolded what I'll be doing each day. :D

WEEK ONE: KITCHEN

Monday November 5, Day 1:

Twenty Minute Group Focus:OK we don't have a junk drawer at all (in the kitchen or out) so I think I'll do my 2nd pantry area DONE

Twenty Minute Optional Focus: Clean out microwave DONE

Tuesday November 6, Day 2:

Twenty Minute Group Focus: Cutlery Drawer. DONE

Twenty Minute Optional Focus: Outside of the fridge (magnets, etc)DONE

Wednesday November 7, Day 3:

Twenty Minute Group Focus: Pantry Day 1. DONE

Twenty Minute Optional Focus: Under the sink area DONE

Thursday November 8, Day 4:

Twenty Minute Group Focus: Pantry Day 2. Continue work from day 3. DONE

Twenty Minute Optional Focus: All other lower cabinets, go throughDONE

Friday November 9, Day 5:

Twenty Minute Group Focus: Fridge DONE

Twenty Minute Optional Focus: All other upper cabinets, go through. DONE

Saturday November 19, Day 6:

Twenty Minute Group Focus: Freezer. Remove all items from freezer. Working quickly, throw away all unusable or unidentifiable foods, remove ice buildup from freezer and organize.

Twenty Minute Optional Focus: 2nd Chest Freezer in garage

Sunday: Rest.

I haven't done any kitchen decluttering, if only because it's the only room of the house that was already decluttered ... BUT!

We had the blacklight out the other night, and I brought it into the kitchen and nearly fainted from disgust and shame. I have been de-greasing frantically since. Looking a little better, but I haven't dared the blacklight test again yet!

I haven't done any kitchen decluttering, if only because it's the only room of the house that was already decluttered ... BUT!

We had the blacklight out the other night, and I brought it into the kitchen and nearly fainted from disgust and shame. I have been de-greasing frantically since. Looking a little better, but I haven't dared the blacklight test again yet!

Oh that is a scary thought!

Well...I was able to unpack one box (from our move 1.5 years ago) that has been sitting in my dining room. I got rid of a few things, washed the items I kept, and they are all put away. I have about 6 more boxes sitting the dining room to work on.

I managed to clean the upstairs floors, do some laundry, and change my sheets.

I continued with my computer decluttering and managed to get a bunch (and I mean probably 2,000) pictures organized (deleted or properly namedd and placed in their appropriate folders). It feels so good. I haven't done this since February of this year and I take A LOT of pictures. I know it's not the kitchen, but knowing I needed to do this was cluttering my mind :D.

My goal this weekend is to finish organizing all my pictures so I can clear off my memory cards and take more -- LOL. I'm hoping to go through 3 more boxes from my dining room. I have regular cleaning to do also -- change the boys' sheets, clean the bathrooms, and clean the downstairs floors. Oh the fun...

Hope everyone had a successful Friday! Good luck this weekend.

Very nice, Halcyon! I fell asleep again last night :( BUT, I was talking to DH about how I've been trying hard to keep this house clean after my major crisis clean over the weekend, so while I was at co-op today, he cleaned the ceiling fan for me, straightened up the living area and bedroom, and vacuumed! :001_wub: So tonight I'm tackling the kitchen storage :D

So my tasks today are the indoor freezer and then garage freezer. I am so not looking forward to this today, it is cold! I find myself trying to talk myself out of it. LOL What is there to clean in a freezer, anyway? :D

You can do it! We have a hugely busy weekend here...hockey games all morning then a birthday part thus afternoon, and tomorrow church and seeing a play. I need to find some time!

So my tasks today are the indoor freezer and then garage freezer. I am so not looking forward to this today, it is cold! I find myself trying to talk myself out of it. LOL What is there to clean in a freezer, anyway? :D

I have to do my garage freezer too, tomorrow. Somehow I have to find the time! We can do it!!!

I did my kitchen freezer on Friday. Anyone know how to get sticky berry syrup something off the floor of the freezer without turning off and warming up the freezer?

Today, I cleaned my room. Decided to turn on something on netflix while I cleaned. Watched Hoarders for the first time in my life! OH MY!

Watch it if you need motivation to get rid of stuff!

I purged two large trashbags from my room and closet!

Can't wait to see next week's list!

I don't have a junk drawer, but I do have a small desk drawer with papers and other random things that I cleaned last week. I also culled restaurant, miscellaneous and store coupons, throwing out expired.

This weekend I:

took everything out of refrigerator and freezer. Scrubbed everything, washing shelves and such in the sink. I threw out any junk. I made a list of food in the freezer and built a week's worth of meals around it. The boys and I shopped for veggies and stuff to go with it today.

cleaned silverware and other kitchen drawers and wiped them clean

cleaned our craft/office closet -- getting stuff ready for a yard sale and recycling the rest

organized all art supplies. I tested (with my son's help) every marker, throwing out dry ones. I sharpened every regular and colored pencil, purging all Rose Art and other cheap colored pencils. I organized paint supplies into our craft drawers by type -- oil in one drawer, watercolors in another, acrylics in another, etc.

I culled my artist study books, getting rid of all aimed at a younger audience or ones I didn't think we would revisit.

I also removed all piano books the boys have finished using to include in the yard sale.

We sifted through their dress-up and costume drawers getting rid of outgrown items and things no longer wanted.

Right before their bed time, I went through the boys' closet. Made one pile for never wore over the summer/outgrew and another for the clothes going in the bin for next summer. Got rid of their old blankets and pillowcases that are on the top shelf. Today, I need to go through their fall tub in the garage and sort it.

Edited by nestof3

I did my kitchen freezer on Friday. Anyone know how to get sticky berry syrup something off the floor of the freezer without turning off and warming up the freezer?

Today, I cleaned my room. Decided to turn on something on netflix while I cleaned. Watched Hoarders for the first time in my life! OH MY!

Watch it if you need motivation to get rid of stuff!

I purged two large trashbags from my room and closet!

Can't wait to see next week's list!

For the syrup, pour almost boiling water (really hot, but not boiling) onto it and then when it melts, wipe it up. And yes, hoarders is SO motivating!!! LOL. You're doing awesome!!

doing the fridge and freezer today. Yesterday I moved all my small appliances in the kitchen and cleaned under them, took the burners out of the stove and cleaned them and then lifted the top of the stove to clean under it. Along with the fridge and freezer I plan to do the microwave.

Woohoo! My bathrooms are decluttered already, but the master BR needs help badly.

Well, my master bath is a disaster, but the kind of disaster that just needs an hour of focused time and it will be good as new.

My master bedroom isnt TOOO bad but i do need to refold my clothes in my drawer. And organize my shoes. And get my knitting stuff out of my sweater closet :confused:

Well, my master bath is a disaster, but the kind of disaster that just needs an hour of focused time and it will be good as new.

My master bedroom isnt TOOO bad but i do need to refold my clothes in my drawer. And organize my shoes. And get my knitting stuff out of my sweater closet :confused:

:lol: Ours is the dumping ground for everything we try to hide when people come over. And all the toys and craft supplies the kids bring in and never bring out. And all the paper and receipts in our pockets when we get home from anywhere. And all the books and toys I declutter out of the kids's stuff but don't want them to see, so I hide them under my bed, where DD7 inevitably finds them and plays with them and then leaves...

I'm starting to see that the kids are a recurring problem in all of my "major mess" scenarios. Hmmm, maybe the answer is to declutter the children?

Have you posted anywhere an outline for all the weeks? We have only one bath and my, ahem, "master bedroom" is so tiny the bed takes up about 75% of it. Not much clutter! But I love these group challenges and my Type A personality doesn't want to substitute an area we'll all be doing later. Thanks so much for putting this together. My family thanks you in advance for the more peaceful holiday season I'm sure we'll have.

:lol: Ours is the dumping ground for everything we try to hide when people come over. And all the toys and craft supplies the kids bring in and never bring out. And all the paper and receipts in our pockets when we get home from anywhere. And all the books and toys I declutter out of the kids's stuff but don't want them to see, so I hide them under my bed, where DD7 inevitably finds them and plays with them and then leaves...

I'm starting to see that the kids are a recurring problem in all of my "major mess" scenarios. Hmmm, maybe the answer is to declutter the children?

This is us... And I just found out my grandparents are coming to visit this coming weekend. So I have to deep clean the house, plus work on the decluttering....

Ok, today's update:

Flylady's zone this week is the main bathroom and the spare room. Dh has actually been working on the spare room as we are working on moving dd10 into for her own room. So I will leave that one up to him and do yours this week as my master bedroom needs major love.

Plus Flylady has you do a 1 hour "house blessing" (sweeping/mopping general areas) on Mondays.

So far today I have done most of her morning routine: unloaded the dishwasher, put in a load of laundry all the way to folding and putting away, done a swish and swipe in the bathroom while I was getting ready this morning.

For my 15 min. of decluttering in the bathroom (which isn't very cluttered really) I decided it needs 15 min. of deep cleaning each day instead of decluttering. So today I scrubbed the tub and tile walls for 15 min.

Tomorrow there is a small collect all shelf that needs decluttered and dusted well. It is not in the area that I wipe down regularly (on the wall up high)

The days after that I will do 15 min. at a time in my room.

I will do the 1 hr house blessing tonight since our girl scout meeting was canceled and dd10 is sick and can't go out for art class. But that will just be the kitchen/bath/living room floors. And then I will do a 2 min. hot spot cleaning/decluttering. That is usually our kitchen table and buffet in the school area.