Menu

Your favourite kids movie? We're a How to Train Your Dragon family!

Is just my favourite kids movie. Favourite. Just love it. We all love it. So glad they are making a #2 and #3 even if we have to wait forever for it. We've been enjoying the Riders of Berk cartoons (we watch them on youtube once they are uploaded there). But the movie? Makes me laugh, makes me tear up, exciting action, wonderful father/son moments. And Toothless is just the cutest. Just great, if you haven't seen it then you should (but preview first if your kids are little). My 8yo wants a Toothless cake for his birthday!

What's your favourite kids movie?

I really like How to Train Your Dragon, even though ds was a little older when we saw it. I think I liked it more than him, actually.

Babe was a big favorite here. We must have watched Babe a thousand times. I saw it on the other day and ds was gone. I almost cried, I'd forgotten how many times we did watch it.

Cats and Dogs was another one ds watched over and over. He still has it on DVD.

Up, The Dragon Hunters (was streaming on netflix), a turtles tale, sammy's adventure (was streaming quite recently), town called panic (was streaming, has subtitles but my barely reading youngest could read them when we watched it, not many words). when the incredibles came out, i swore it was about my family . . . i had a baby, a high-energy boy, and an awkward teen girl . .. holes.

Also HUGE fans of How to Train Your Dragon. That movie was a big reason why we finally splurged for a 3D tv.

A surprise hit for us was the The Secret World of Arrietty. Everyone loved it. Including the grandparents! I was so impressed (especially since I don't care for the other movies made by this studio) that I wrote a blog post about it here.

Wizard of Oz (the old one with Judy Garland)

Never Ending Story (the one from the 80s)

Cinderella (the Disney one)

Sleeping Beauty (Disney)

Snow White (Disney)

Princess Bride (does this count as a kids' movie? I don't know)

The Last Unicorn (animated)

The Hobbit (Rankin / Bass?)

The Lord of the Rings (the animated one--understated but great)

Charlie Chaplin shorts

A Christmas Story (you'll shoot your eye out!)

Annie (the cheesy 80s one where she sings "Dumb Dog")

Mary Poppins

Sound of Music

We love HTTYD also! Despicable Me, Megamind and The Lorax have also been hits here. Tangled (even my son liked it ;)), Monsters v. Aliens, The Princess Bride, Night at the Museum are a few others we like.

A little different, but just as awesome are many of the Hayao Miyazaki films, especially Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky. He also directed Ponyo, Spirited Away, and was involved in The Secret World of Arrietty as the screenwriter.

If you like the Miyazaki films, another similar movie is The Cat Returns. Also, Whisper of the Heart.

From my 15 year old daughter, who still likes kid movies!

Despicable Me

Finding Nemo

Toy Story

Mary Poppins

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Lilo and Stitch

Snow Dogs

The Incredibles

Freaky Friday

Cars

From me: Apple Dumpling Gang, The Incredible Mr. Limpet, any old school Disney live-action movies!

anything directed by Hayao Miyazaki (although Ponyo, Spirited Away, and My Neighbor Totoro are my absolute favorites.... and Howl's Moving Castle... oh, and Kiki's Delivery Service) :D

Megamind

Emperor's New Groove

Wall-E

The Secret of Kells

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs

The Incredibles

That movie was outstanding but has gone down in family history here as the only movie we had to turn off on family movie night. It absolutely petrified DS6, who is typically tough as nails.

Isn't it funny how some movies just spook some kids while others not so much. There was some point at which one of my kids was enjoying Doctor Who but thought Alice in Wonderland was the most terrifying thing he'd ever seen.

anything directed by Hayao Miyazaki (although Ponyo, Spirited Away, and My Neighbor Totoro are my absolute favorites.... and Howl's Moving Castle... oh, and Kiki's Delivery Service) :D

[/i]

Oh yes! Ponyo is our runner up family movie. We're all Miyazaki lovers here. When Disney on Ice came to town, we ran into a crowd of people on the subway leaving and I remember ds said to me, "I think it would be better if it was Studio Ghibli on Ice."

We like a lot of the ones already mentioned, but we recently checked out The Adventures of Tintin from the library and my girls have watched it twice a day for the past week. They love it! And I'll admit even I really enjoyed it.

I've not seen them this into a movie in a long time. :001_smile: