Menu

We had a shocker today.

We visited our old church where our girls were playing today in the bell choir. When we got there, I was told that the pastor had not only sent in his letter of resignation, but had disappeared Wed. morning, and hasn't been seen or heard of by wife, family, friends, nothing.

Prayers please that he turns up safe and sound.

This happened around here.

They found the pastor in a strip club in another state. He said he had amnesia.

I also saw on the internet a pastor who disappeared in 1980 who was found recently living an entirely new life. He claimed his mind was altered by a satanic cult.

I hope this man is okay...

I also saw on the internet a pastor who disappeared in 1980 who was found recently living an entirely new life. He claimed his mind was altered by a satanic cult.

I hope this man is okay...

I wonder if that is the same guy we knew. Disappeared one night on a lonesome road in Texas. Lots of debris from inside the car scattered around and a couple of *possible* random reports nearby that he may have been seen...then NOTHING for years. His wife had him declared dead for insurance purposes. His baby daughter grew up without him. Then one day, someone from our old church recognized him at a gay church in Dallas. He claimed he had amnesia, too, but I believe the gay lifestyle is what he was hiding. It was even more hurtful to his wife and daughter when he reappeared because they knew he had thrown them away. He had a lot of weird and conflicting stories about where he had been for almost twenty years. Odd and bizarre story.

I don't know. Could be. Or, it could just be a mid-life crisis. I used to work with a lady that took off like that. Everyone thought she must have been abducted, because she seemed so stable and reliable, but she just... drove... away. It was bizarre, but she turned out to be fine, and in a way I understood. I feel like just driving away sometimes, too! ;)

I'm glad your pastor is safe. I hope he manages to work out his problems and that all ends well.

Oh my goodness, he doesn't seem the type, but that's the type it always happens too right?

Sometimes. We had a former pastor who was a very quiet older man, a bit like Mr. Rogers, who got involved in that sort of scandal, which was quite shocking. On the other hand, he could have any other sort of issue from gambling to a sickness that is interfering with his thinking to just a huge overload of stress. Hope all is well.

Glad to hear he was found. Pressure makes people do strange things. In vet school, three of my classmates went AWOL when they decided to just up and drive south:auto:....they got as far as Missouri and decided it had been a bad idea:lol:! Thankfully, they got back in time to not miss any exams.

My pastor in Okinawa went into the church one morning, looked around, didn't say anything to his secretary, walked out and got on a plane back to the states. He left his pregnant wife there to read a statement to the church, pack the house, gather the kids' school and and medical records, etc. When he got back to the states, he started divorce proceedings against his wife and he wanted nothing to do with the new baby. Turns out he was having an affair with another woman in the church, someone his wife was good friends with (or so she thought!). The other woman also had 3 kids, one of whom was still an infant. They did end up getting married and they told the pastor's oldest dd all kinds of lies to turn her against her mom. It was just an awful experience for the church. I hope the situation with your pastor isn't anything quite so dramatic.

I don't know. Could be. Or, it could just be a mid-life crisis. I used to work with a lady that took off like that. Everyone thought she must have been abducted, because she seemed so stable and reliable, but she just... drove... away. It was bizarre, but she turned out to be fine, and in a way I understood. I feel like just driving away sometimes, too! ;)

I'm glad your pastor is safe. I hope he manages to work out his problems and that all ends well.

My DH did the same thing, in college. Nervous breakdown. He just got in his car, and drove away. He called to tell me he was coming to my house, and went to Chicago instead.