Menu

Do you have a fear that surprises you from time to time?

I was looking for a special needs exercise product today, and came across this (not what I was looking for):

http://www.achievement-products.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=2655&category=359&CategorySearch=&Brand=&Price=

Just looking at that tunnel made me feel sick, :ack2: and then I thought, "If anyone tried to make me crawl through that, I would fight, kick, bite, hit, spit, scream, hurt people." :nopity:

The strength of my reaction surprised me. I suppose I'm claustrophobic? When I think about it, I really do have a fear of being stuck in a small space, unable to breathe, unable to get out. Just thinking about this is making my heart-rate rise. Perhaps I was vicariously traumatized by watching too much Baby Jessica back in 1987? :001_huh:

My mother can't watch snakes on television without putting her feet up on the sofa and hiding behind a blanket. "Oh, SNAKES! Change the channel!" All this for a snake on television. :D She stepped on a snake with bare feet when she was a girl, and has never been the same since.

I have a friend who can't look at photos taken from high places without feeling sick. His dread is being forced to stand at the edge of the Grand Canyon.

What creeps up on you, when you're least expecting it? :bigear:

I could not do that tunnel thing either,

I am very claustrophobic, but in recent years bridges freak me out.

MAybe that bridge over the Mississippi collapsing is what triggered it, but I have to consciously NOT think of the possibilities when I am going over a bridge.

Yup, I have a friend nearby who refuses to drive (or ride) across this bridge. It's only 15 feet wide for two lanes.

I was looking for a special needs exercise product today, and came across this (not what I was looking for):

http://www.achievement-products.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=2655&category=359&CategorySearch=&Brand=&Price=

Just looking at that tunnel made me feel sick, :ack2: and then I thought, "If anyone tried to make me crawl through that, I would fight, kick, bite, hit, spit, scream, hurt people." :nopity:

The strength of my reaction surprised me. I suppose I'm claustrophobic? When I think about it, I really do have a fear of being stuck in a small space, unable to breathe, unable to get out. Just thinking about this is making my heart-rate rise. Perhaps I was vicariously traumatized by watching too much Baby Jessica back in 1987? :001_huh:

My mother can't watch snakes on television without putting her feet up on the sofa and hiding behind a blanket. "Oh, SNAKES! Change the channel!" All this for a snake on television. :D She stepped on a snake with bare feet when she was a girl, and has never been the same since.

I have a friend who can't look at photos taken from high places without feeling sick. His dread is being forced to stand at the edge of the Grand Canyon.

What creeps up on you, when you're least expecting it? :bigear:

I didn't think I had any issues before I read your post, but suddenly every one of those are freaking me out a bit :lol:

I didn't think I had any issues before I read your post, but suddenly every one of those are freaking me out a bit :lol:

It surprised me, too, because I fool myself into thinking I am fearless. But the thought of crawling through that little green tube nearly made me lose my lunch. :blink:

Oh, and here's another one of mine: Centipedes. Not this kind, like they have in Texas, but the little ones we have here in New Jersey. They absolutely freak me out -- though spiders are fine, snakes are fine, bats are fine. Figure that out! LOL!

How's that workin' for ya? ;) :lol:

I freak out when I have to get into bed in the dark. I'm scared of something reaching out from under the bed and grabbing my ankle. Each time I walk into the bedroom and close the door, I am determined to not give in to that fear and each time I wimp out and hop into bed from as far away as possible. Only I have to hop very carefully because I am trying not to wake DH! I honestly don't think I can stand next to my bed in the dark. And I'm 44!!

Water. I have no problem in a swimming pool, and I can play in the ocean, up to my knees.

I would love to go to Key West, but I cannot drive the causeways. I can never fly into Boston's airport because of the tunnel under the bay (harbor, whatever--big body of water!). I cannot watch any drowning scenes on TV. Even typing this, I'm starting to feel my stomach churning.

Off to distract myself with oh, maybe some chocolate.

I always forget how much rabbits freak me out. I think they're quite beautiful, just as I do lions and wolves. But I don't want to see any of them in my yard. I forget this until I encounter a bunny in my garden and I immediately realize he wants me dead. Yes, he does. I can see it in his eyes.

I freak out when I have to get into bed in the dark. I'm scared of something reaching out from under the bed and grabbing my ankle. Each time I walk into the bedroom and close the door, I am determined to not give in to that fear and each time I wimp out and hop into bed from as far away as possible. Only I have to hop very carefully because I am trying not to wake DH! I honestly don't think I can stand next to my bed in the dark. And I'm 44!!

You must have seen the same 70's horror flick I did. :scared:

I always forget how much rabbits freak me out. I think they're quite beautiful, just as I do lions and wolves. But I don't want to see any of them in my yard. I forget this until I encounter a bunny in my garden and I immediately realize he wants me dead. Yes, he does. I can see it in his eyes.

Oh, it's just a harmless little *bunny*, isn't it?

You've watched that Monty Python skit about the Killer Bunnies once too often!

It's been attempted as a cure, but I just see it as further proof!

:lol:

My unrealistic fear is palmetto bugs. I have lived in Florida off and on since I was 10 years old. I'm 42 now. On our first night in Florida, I was wearing a nightgown, and I felt one crawl up my leg. As I screamed, jumped, and stripped naked (in front of my little brother, no less!), the nasty thing FLEW to the wall, then FLEW in my direction again! I was absolutely terrified. I haven't been the same since.

I can handle snakes, lizards, spiders...anything but palmetto bugs.

I have no phobias for anything real. Spiders, snakes, heights, water, bridges, enclosed places are all fine. Zombies, or as DH and the kids refer to them around me, the Z-word are another thing altogether. One of my kids pretending to be one all goofy-like will freak me out.

This whole zombie fad right now is driving me crazy. I'm glad I rarely watch tv, but when I do it's usually Sy-Fy and they always seem to be advertising some Z-flick. It's so bad, I leave the room for every commercial break just in case. We went to a scout haunted hike one year and Z's came busting out of the woods at us. I grabbed my friend's 17 year old son and threw him toward the Z's while I took off running. He and his mom still like to laugh at me for that one! :blushing:

I think that when I pet our cat. I'm sure that if she was a lot bigger, she'd be trying to eat us. :lol:

When I was little, I used to think that if I killed a spider, its friends would find out and seek revenge. I'm finally over that at least!

I absolutely hate tight spaces too. That thing linked in the OP would freak me out!!!

Lately I've been afraid of drowning. Not actually drowning, but not being able to breathe. I think I may have sleep apnea, for real.

I also get really scared--shakey-scared--by movies that have that deep, demonic voice effect, and by the Creepy Girl in a Nightgown Crawling in a Backwards Crab Way Down the Stairs.

My worst nightmare would be to look down into a water tower OR to go inside a dam. Darkness, echos, big room, loud noises/machinery, dark water, heights... (((shudder))) Lame, I know.

OR any "scenic route" through Colorado that involves high elevation, zero shoulder, and no guard rail. I thought I was going to die. :auto:

DH and I were in the city on 9/11, and we managed to get uptown to his mom's apartment. We stayed there for a few hours, then decided it was safe to head home to our apartment in Jersey City. The George Washington Bridge was completely dark, and I practically hyperventilated going over. Ever since then, if we have to sit in any kind of traffic going over the bridge (often) or going through one of the tunnels (rare, but it happens), I have to fight off panic.

And the idea of getting on a plane practically makes me black out. I flew anywhere and everywhere before having kids! But after having kids...total terror *sigh* I like to think that when it came time to actually get on the plane, I could do it, but I'm afraid of what will happen if I can't!

You must have seen the same 70's horror flick I did. :scared:

I do NOT watch horror movies but the ONE I saw in the late 80's had this in it and I STILL (at 40 yrs old) struggle to not jump to the bed. Ugh!!

I can't seem to breath when heights are involved. TV, movie, YouTube clip of the guys replacing the light on the stupid high tower (who even considers doing that job???), or even video games! When the guys play Mario games and they are playing the levels where they are jumping from dancing mushroom to dancing mushroom I feel like I'm going to hyperventilate every time they jump. When they fall my stomach jumps into my throat! Ugh!!!

You wouldn't like my front yard. We have anywhere from 1 to about 15 in our front yard every night.

DH and I were in the city on 9/11, and we managed to get uptown to his mom's apartment. We stayed there for a few hours, then decided it was safe to head home to our apartment in Jersey City. The George Washington Bridge was completely dark, and I practically hyperventilated going over. Ever since then, if we have to sit in any kind of traffic going over the bridge (often) or going through one of the tunnels (rare, but it happens), I have to fight off panic.

And the idea of getting on a plane practically makes me black out. I flew anywhere and everywhere before having kids! But after having kids...total terror *sigh* I like to think that when it came time to actually get on the plane, I could do it, but I'm afraid of what will happen if I can't!

I have a newly (Mommy induced) dislike of flying, too. Not total terror, but I do get anxiety now when flying.

Also, a new fear since becoming a mother...heights! They never used to bother me. Now, watching a scene on t.v. that involves a huge open area up high (like a staircase in a large NY office building) can make my stomach drop to my toes and my heart thud up into my throat.

I've always been claustrophobic.

Sharks (but I have a reason for that fear). Every now and then, when I am flipping through channels, I'll see one doing that chomping they do. It sends a panic through me that has made me literally (quite literally) vomit a few times. I'm always surprised that that fear can just overtake me like that. It's been so long, you'd think I'd be over it, but nope. It's a primal thing, I think.

One word: trypophobia. No, I'm not making it linky because that would mean looking it up and I'd see images. I'd rather sleep tonight, so you'll have to google. I hate when an image pops up out of nowhere or I see something IRL. The worst was when a fb friend was thinking she might have it so she flooded her walls with images asking if it freaked others out. I wanted to tell her if she could find and post those pics then she didn't have it, but I couldn't because I had to hide her for a week.

I'm also scared of spiders, but that one people "get". Most think I'm crazy when the other comes up.