Menu

Autumn is having her baby I think!

Guest inoubliable
The zoo's webpage/facebook note says that Autumn is on display this morning and Walter will be in and out of the barn around 1:30 Eastern, when they'll switch.

Does anyone know why they are kept separate and why they aren't on display all day and penned at night? It seems like they spend a lot of time in the barn.... it seems so small. I thought Autumn was there because of her pregnancy, but I'm confused now.

On the zoo's website they said they were keeping them separate more and more so that they would be used to the separation once the baby comes. Autumn and her baby will be kept away from Walter so that they can bond and so that the little one can grow and get strong.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PublicInfo_Events/Admin/NewsPDFs/GiraffeBabyWatch.pdf

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nevermind. She's so not in labor. This giraffe can't wait until November. I was thinking "if she does, I'm not watching" but I know I will. Sigh. Why is this so consuming?

My husband keeps laughing at me cuz I keep checking in with her and/or here with you guys. I didn't tell him that I also "liked" the zoo's FB page! :lol:

Guest inoubliable
At least he's laughing. My husband was laughing two days ago. Now he's finding it slightly annoying. :lol:

Mine thought it was kooky and cute last week, and then earlier this week he thought I was a bit loony. And now he's just annoyed.

MID-NOVEMBER?!? :001_huh:

Okay, and I am SO NOT going to stare at a giraffe's butt until mid-November. :lol:

Well, you've made it this far--what's a few more weeks! ;)

I'm not watching Autumn. I'm watching you guys watching Autumn.:D

Same here! :lol: (P.S. I hope today's a good day for you!)

Well, they've moved the camera, so there's a REALLY good view right now.

It seriously does look like there's a hoof hanging out of - um - her posterior. How in the world can she STAND that?????? :tongue_smilie:

Where do you see that? I see nothing. I seriously think this is just a horribly constipated giraffe.

Well, they've moved the camera, so there's a REALLY good view right now.

It seriously does look like there's a hoof hanging out of - um - her posterior. How in the world can she STAND that?????? :tongue_smilie:

I just saw something, but it is so hard to tell.

This is going to be a *long* night!!! :lurk5:

I apparently picked a bad week to give up FB for a while.

Obviously, my new time-suck is Giraffe Bottom Watching. :glare:

The zoo clarified things a bit on FB. It's not labor. They promised to update FB as soon as labor begins and giraffe labor takes HOURS. Also, the water doesn't break until the giraffe hits the ground so we don't even get that as a predictor.

It makes me laugh that baby giraffes have a 6 foot drop and land on their heads for birth. That's quite the, "Welcome to earth!" all babies deserve. :lol:

Giraffes also tend to birth in the morning so at this point, I'm done watching her until breakfast.

And it's ok. I think I've seen Autumn poop about 50 times now.

Ya, she just looks swollen. She's looked like this for days

I think you're right about the swollen part. But she's definitely MORE swollen tonight than she was this morning.

The zoo clarified things a bit on FB. It's not labor. They promised to update FB as soon as labor begins and giraffe labor takes HOURS. Also, the water doesn't break until the giraffe hits the ground so we don't even get that as a predictor.

That is helpful! Thanks! I'll tell my girls, and they can quit hounding me!

ETA: I will say, someone is switching the camera to follow her very closely. When she changes stalls, they change cameras/angles very quickly. I'm wondering what that means.

It makes me laugh that baby giraffes have a 6 foot drop and land on their heads for birth. That's quite the, "Welcome to earth!" all babies deserve. :lol:

Giraffes also tend to birth in the morning so at this point, I'm done watching her until breakfast.

Really?!?!? I haven't even seen her poop :glare::glare::glare:

:lol: That is funny. I have not seen anything like that.

Thanks for the update on her labor. Hopefully tomorrow.