Menu

Autumn is having her baby I think!

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure her cervix is dilated enough yet, says RC, the giraffe and great dane cervix expert. I didn't see a hoof -- I think the protrusion is the perimeter of the cervix opening, which is probably called the cervix, come to think of it.

Now, I am getting a bit tired of inspecting animal behinds. Hopefully, my mom won't call and ask me what I'm doing. She may already think me a bit strange.

Edited by RoughCollie

Guest inoubliable
Yes, well, a giraffe does have to come through it so it better be pretty dilated.

Bwahaha!

And, I see nothing. Except for Walter pacing outside.

Rather than looking at the tails, as some have mentioned, or trying to see the distinctive patch, our local news station says that Walter has horns. :)

Autumn has horns too.

Both sexes have prominent horn-like structures called ossicones, which are formed from ossified cartilage, covered in skin and fused to the skull at the parietal bones.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giraffe

Tell me I'm not the only one in the Hive watching this. . . .

It has been the opening line of conversations with me for the past few days..."Are you STILL watching that giraffe?" or "Is there a baby yet?"

I actually stayed up later last night to watch it because I'm certain she is going to have it when I fall asleep. :tongue_smilie:

Ha! I even made the office manager of my girls' ballet put it on her computer - and I got HER hooked! :D

Just sent my girls to bed. . . . they kept asking for "one more contraction"! She just went to the other stall - and I think things are starting to heat up. WHY oh WHY won't they switch the camera!??

Guest inoubliable

Nooooooo! I was already in bed! I swear it! I was all set to fall asleep and thought to close a few tabs in my browser, set a show on Netflix to play, and then relax away into nightnight time.

And then I refreshed this thread.

And now I had to REOPEN the tab with Autumn.

Thankyouverymuch.

Are there REALLY contractions going on??

Heh. Heh. Heh.

:D

Yes, I think so. She'll eat a bit, then walk away, stand still, and lift her tail.

Her - area- seems to bulge. I could have SWORN that a half an hour ago, she either urinated or lost a LOT of amniotic fluid, and also that I saw quite a bit of leg come out. I think I was mistaken, but I did get my girls pretty excited for a while.

Guest inoubliable
I saw quite a bit of leg come out.

Squeeeee! A bit of leg???

I'm now holding you AND Autumn responsible for a baby giraffe showing up very very very soon! ;):lol:

Guest inoubliable
She's been standing still for a looooong time.

Debating. Do I wake the girls? they went down 30 min ago.

As my 13you said, "Well, we can watch it on YouTube tomorrow!"

If they were really really into it, I'd wake them. It's only 11:30 EST. And tomorrow is a Saturday!

I'm thinking I might have to go get DS7 or he'll never forgive me.

Guest inoubliable

Was doing some quick Googling on how long a giraffe would be in labor and I came across another dozen forums all watching this feed and commenting. Several of the comments said that the zoo announced she was in labor this evening and that the birthing process is between 3 to 6 hours. So.... soon? How long have you ladies noticed obvious contractions?

Guest inoubliable
I'm wondering if they manually adjust the cameras, or if they can change the view remotely. Anyone know?

Also - is this Autumn's first birth?

It is her first. Not sure about the cameras, though.

Was doing some quick Googling on how long a giraffe would be in labor and I came across another dozen forums all watching this feed and commenting. Several of the comments said that the zoo announced she was in labor this evening and that the birthing process is between 3 to 6 hours. So.... soon? How long have you ladies noticed obvious contractions?

Ooh yay!!! :)

Guest inoubliable
I'm trying to figure out if she's sleeping or laboring.

My guess is laboring!

If I see a good leg out in the next 30-45 min, I'll wake my girls :)

I'm guessing laboring. I keep seeing a lot of movement around her sides. A few times she lifted a back leg and it looked like she just seemed uncomfortable. Besides, IIRC giraffes sleep sitting down with their neck curved back to rest on their back. We just might get to see the real thing tonight!