Menu

Autumn is having her baby I think!

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www2.wspa.com/news/2012/oct/18/greenville-zoo-prepares-baby-giraffe-birth-ar-4670052/

From the article:

Thursday morning, a giraffe was seen on the webcam swatting its rear with its head. Zoo officials say that was Walter. He apparently had an issue with his horns. Autumn was outside the barn at the time.

pfft.

Ah, he's clearly in denial about this parenting thing.

Well i learned something already- i thought puppies were born pretty quickly after each other.

Same here. And while I'm enjoying watching the dogs (especially that mild but utterly bewildered look the mama dog keeps giving the puppy), I kind of feel as if I'm cheating on Autumn.

Guest inoubliable

Did Autumn move off camera? Or did a handler come get her?? She was there a few mins ago, and then I went to go watch the puppies and when I came back... no Autumn. It would be my luck that something started happening and I missed even that.

Did Autumn move off camera? Or did a handler come get her?? She was there a few mins ago, and then I went to go watch the puppies and when I came back... no Autumn. It would be my luck that something started happening and I missed even that.

nope, she was there and gone. I think i saw Walter? The one with horns though

I've seen her disappear like that 2x. I'm not sure where she goes either!

She's driving me bonkers! Stay in one place until you pop that calf out! :lol:

:iagree: I cannot stop checking in on her, and it drives me nuts when she disappears! Dh even came home and asked if she had given birth yet!

I think we should have access to every angle of her enclosure :D

ETA - she's gone again...

Guest inoubliable
A puppy a puppy!

nope, JK- thought there was something going on

Me too!!! And then nothing happened and I went back to Autumn. Guess what?

She's not there. :glare:

I need an intervention.

Guest inoubliable
I've got both cameras pulled up and keep flipping between the too. My boys aren't interested and DH thinks I'm weird. :)

My boys saw Whatshisname in the stall beside her earlier. Sitting down and watching the far wall. Totally ignoring Autumn. They're convinced its because she's boring even the father-to-be.

Well i learned something already- i thought puppies were born pretty quickly after each other.

Pups usually appear every half-hour or so after ten to thirty minutes of forceful straining.

It is not uncommon, however, for the mother to take rests during labor and up to four hours can pass between some puppies.

http://www.2ndchance.info/caninelaborstages.htm

Me too!!! And then nothing happened and I went back to Autumn. Guess what?

She's not there. :glare:

I need an intervention.

me too, lol

There is something going on.

This is her 2nd litter it says so i know she knows what shes doing but geez, she doesnt have to keep us all on our toes like this! :tongue_smilie:

Guest inoubliable

"Are you still viewing this camera? Click to continue."

Now the zoo is just messing with me. Right? Is there even really a giraffe? Soon I'll start questioning my own sanity.

1: Could we please stop messing with the camera angles? Add another camera already!

2: The constant handling of the dog is driving me nuts. Leave her alone already!

Oh and 3: Amber get a move on already!

Im not sure but i assume they are helping because having a pregnant belly while still in labor and having puppies trying to get clean and nurse requires more than a tongue and 4 paws. :tongue_smilie:

This is her 2nd litter it says so i know she knows what shes doing but geez, she doesnt have to keep us all on our toes like this! :tongue_smilie:

What I meant was you were not seeing things. There was something there that was not part of her anatomy. :001_smile:

I have been watching for over a week and I have not seen any new behavior in the last day or two that I saw in all that time. I saw everything that was going on this morning before, quite a bit of it many times. If I had to guess I would say maybe BH.

Anyhow, it is quite frustrating to keep reading (not just here either) that oh my goodness, she is actually having her baby right now. Hurry, quick before you miss it and I go there and she isn't even doing anything new. Most of the time she is just still eating. I am pretty sure that she will stop eating hours before she actually goes into labor. I have described her daily routine somehwere on this thread but I don't feel like looking for it right now. In any case, I think it will be helpful in deciding what the chances are that she is in labor at any given time.

I am not trying to be snarky but I have had this giraffee on screen 24/7 for more than a week and not only am I getting frustrating waiting I am getting frustrated with people who are poping in for the first time in the last 24 hours and saying that she is definitely having the baby right now. I am going to take a nap. That will probably pretty much guarantee that she will have her baby. :001_smile:

You sound like a party poop-er.

Which is what I would like to see happen with this animal.

That's really the only true sign of impending birth.

Guest inoubliable

He's beautiful! We got wonky connection right now because of a bad storm. Looks like this will be it for me, tonight.

Except that I see her looking back at her back end again like something is already happening?? *sigh* I need sleep!!

He's beautiful! We got wonky connection right now because of a bad storm. Looks like this will be it for me, tonight.

Except that I see her looking back at her back end again like something is already happening?? *sigh* I need sleep!!

I stopped watching after the last, which came pretty quick actually. Like i looked away to get a pop and she had him. I wonder how many she is expected to have? Last litter was 6.