Menu

Autumn is having her baby I think!

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clicking on the last post in this thread made me very confused.

Giraffe babies are called pups?

She had quintuplets?

Good grief. No wonder she was eating so much grass!

I dont know about Autumn. We all got bored watching her stand there for so long doing nothing! The puppies are cute though!

well one more semi last update on Chaos the dane- they think shes done and called the vet to give a Pit Shot because shes missing 3 placentas/after births and they arent sure how many, if any, puppies are left because no u/s was done.

I stayed up all night watching.

Are you serious? I NEEDED sleep!

:lol::lol::lol:

well one more semi last update on Chaos the dane- they think shes done and called the vet to give a Pit Shot because shes missing 3 placentas/after births and they arent sure how many, if any, puppies are left because no u/s was done.

Jpoy~

Did they hold up a sign or is there somewhere we can read about everything we missed?

THANKS!

Jpoy~

Did they hold up a sign or is there somewhere we can read about everything we missed?

THANKS!

They held up a sign after each puppy was born with sex- no weights or anything until later.

The #8 stillborn was born into heaven at 7:45Am EST and was a girl.

She has 4 girls and 3boys. 6 are black or black with white and 1 is speckled like Chaos.

She was bred with 2 studs, 1 by accident.

They held up a sign after each puppy was born with sex- no weights or anything until later.

The #8 stillborn was born into heaven at 7:45Am EST and was a girl.

She has 4 girls and 3boys. 6 are black or black with white and 1 is speckled like Chaos.

She was bred with 2 studs, 1 by accident.

Thank you! I called it a night after #4! :)

Guest inoubliable
shes still missing 3 placentas and they are trying to get her to contract.

I confess, the last time I looked at the clock was way after I said that I was headed to bed.... That said, I only saw #4.

I see where they're giving her something for more contractions. She's...missing 3 placentas? So... three more pups? I have much to learn...

I confess, the last time I looked at the clock was way after I said that I was headed to bed.... That said, I only saw #4.

I see where they're giving her something for more contractions. She's...missing 3 placentas? So... three more pups? I have much to learn...

8 total puppies. 1 stillborn. 5 placentas she ate and 3 are still in the uterus. NO PUPPIES ATTACHED- puppies were born, placenta was NOT

Guest inoubliable
vet is OTW to give pit shot for placentas. No more puppies expected.

Mkay. Good to see/hear that all is well. A very cool thing to see live - I'd never before seen an animal give birth. Unless you count my sister. Which I kinda do. :tongue_smilie:

Now back to my regularly scheduled giraffe watching...

It's a tumor.

That reminds me of when I was pregnant with DD. The boys were a year old, and my stomach was getting bigger all of a sudden. I had no time to go to the doctor and was very sleep deprived. I watched my belly grow, and I was convinced I had a tumor because I could not be pregnant due to lack of time and energy. I was so worried that my babies would grow up motherless.

Finally on a Saturday, I asked a friend of mine who is a doctor, to refer me to a great oncologist. She asked my symptoms. Then she told me I was pregnant! So I called another friend and told her my symptoms and she said the same thing.

I had no idea what it felt or looked like to be pregnant with one baby. DH and I were scared to death. I looked pretty big to us, and we were sure we'd end up on the front page of the Boston Herald after we had our baby when -- that weekend? -- for not knowing I was pregnant.

So DH made an emergency call to my perinatologist, who laughed and said there was no way I was having a baby that weekend. On Monday, he did an ultrasound and amnio, and I was 14 weeks along. No wonder pregnancies seem so short to me -- I had 5.5 months of knowing I was pg with DD, and about 23 weeks with the boys (they were born at 27 weeks).

For awhile there, DD was known as Tumor Surprise. Then I changed her pre-birth name to Indoor Plumbing since she's a girl. (You probably won't get these references, Jean -- but I will permit you to PM me if you wish to add to your store of knowledge.)

Edited by RoughCollie

Mkay. Good to see/hear that all is well. A very cool thing to see live - I'd never before seen an animal give birth. Unless you count my sister. Which I kinda do. :tongue_smilie:

Now back to my regularly scheduled giraffe watching...

You can go to youtube to see all sorts of animals give birth. Since Autumn seems to prefer eating to giving birth, that may be your best bet. :)

Guest inoubliable
You can go to youtube to see all sorts of animals give birth. Since Autumn seems to prefer eating to giving birth, that may be your best bet. :)

Blech. I watched several giraffe-specific birthing videos on Youtube already. No way - Autumn owes me a live birth! I've got too many hours invested in this to miss out now! :lol:

Guest inoubliable
:iagree:

I have no idea what I will do with my time once she has the baby.

What?? You can remember a time from before?? :tongue_smilie:

Aha! She's pacing in circles.

Only she is a he -- that has to be Walter because he has shorter hair on the end of his tail. OTOH, Walter looked pregnant before I saw the short tail hair.

I think you're right that it's Walter pacing in circles. There's no cloverleaf pattern on the left flank.

Ok, that made me laugh loudly enough to startle the squirrel on my deck. And I'm inside.

She's starting to really irritate me. Ok I saw her for a bit I zoomed in to check out her rear. When she wags her tail (what do you call it when a giraffe wags their tail..) she looks very open and swollen.

She's starting to really irritate me. Ok I saw her for a bit I zoomed in to check out her rear. When she wags her tail (what do you call it when a giraffe wags their tail..) she looks very open and swollen.

My computer won't load the page right now! If I miss this birth after all this I will be mad! :lol:

My computer won't load the page right now! If I miss this birth after all this I will be mad! :lol:

Oh I'll be pissed. I have never been obsessed with something so ridiculous. You can google giraffe birth and see dozens of them on Utube. Why am I just staring at this.

Yes, she does. When she goes outside, you can switch to that webcam.

This zoo is local to us, so I may have more info. Sorry if this is a repeat, but I haven't read through the whole thread.

Rather than looking at the tails, as some have mentioned, or trying to see the distinctive patch, our local news station says that Walter has horns. :)

The zoo staff are hoping that Autumn will give birth "on exhibit", or out in the paddock area. That's what they're attempting to encourage. If she moves out of "the barn", you can switch to the paddock webcam. Just scroll down on the EarthCam web page to see where you can toggle between the two views. Unfortunately, there seems to be areas of the paddock that are not covered by that camera.