Menu

What to do with a used crib

What do I do with the crib now that we are past the childbearing stage? I hate throwing away a piece of furniture BUT it does have a drop side which is now considered unsafe. Charities will no longer take them, as far as I know. I'm sure I could advertise and give it away but I'm a bit paranoid of a future lawsuit.

Is the landfill my only option? :confused:

Are you handy? Just do a search on "crib upcycle". Here's a few links to get you started. :) I'm not sure what I plan to do when we're done with ours.

http://www.encorebabyregistry.com/blog/repurposed-crib-projects-upcycle-your-old-crib-out-of-the-landfill/

http://theartofthers.blogspot.com/2010/10/recycle-crib-ideas-that-wont-put-you-to.html

Is it okay for me as a consumer to resell, donate or give away a crib that does not meet the new crib standards?

A consumer should not resell, donate or give away a crib that does not meet the new crib standards, such as trying to resell the product through an online auction site or donating to a local thrift store. CPSC recommends disassembling the crib before discarding it.

Is the answer different if a piece (“immobilizerâ€) has been added to my drop-side crib to prevent the side from moving up and down?

Consumers should not sell or give away a drop-side crib that has an added immobilizer because it still will not meet the new crib standards.

http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2011/06/the-new-crib-standard-questions-and-answers/

Ask around and see if anyone can do something with it, especially if it is made of a good wood. I like that repurposed crib website that someone mentioned further up. My dh made a deacon's bench from an old cherry crib.

WOW! That is beautiful!

OP, I'm glad you asked this question because I've been wondering this myself.

:iagree: I'm glad we have an older one with the drop side.

Us too! We actually have 2 of them (plus another in our basement, but I can't find the hardware for it, LOL). And you'd have to pry those out of my cold, dead hands to get me to get rid of them! Especially my really old one that I got used for my second child--it has all metal parts for the drop-side. Hey, here's an idea! Instead of banning an entire style of crib because manufacturers are using crappy plastic parts, how about requiring them to be made with metal parts that don't break?!! Then those of us who are pregnant all the time and can't reach down to pick up tantrum-y toddlers in cribs while pregnant without lowering the side would have options! Grrrr . . . nanny-state government.

Wow! I love the gorgeous benches. Unfortunately, neither DH nor I are handy that way. Maybe I can ask around and see if someone can use it to make a bench or something else. Otherwise, I'll probably hold onto it for potential future grandkids. It has metal hardware so I don't consider it unsafe to use, personally.

Just trying to make some more room/space around here. No basement or attic to store big items. The crib is taken apart and under DD's bed right now. :tongue_smilie:

What do I do with the crib now that we are past the childbearing stage? I hate throwing away a piece of furniture BUT it does have a drop side which is now considered unsafe. Charities will no longer take them, as far as I know. I'm sure I could advertise and give it away but I'm a bit paranoid of a future lawsuit.

Is the landfill my only option? :confused:

Also, there are people who co-sleep who entirely take the side off, meaning the drop/no-drop thing isn't an issue. If you found someone like that to give it to, you could do it conscience-free.

I've always liked the idea of my babies' babies sleeping in our crib. Will that be totally illegal in 15-20 years? It's a NICE crib and there's no way I'm kicking it to the curb. I've agreed to let one of our cribs go. DH thinks I'm nutty to want to store a one for that long. The pictures of the cribs-turned-benches are super!

Wow, I had no idea that I possessed an illegal crib. I know it's all wood and metal. Someone wanna fill me in on what happened in the last decade that made it wrong to lower the side of the crib?

There were about 30 deaths out of the MILLIONS of babies & toddlers who slept in drop-side cribs between 2000 and 2010. Horribly tragic for the families who lost their kids in this manner, but we don't go banning dressers simply because a small number of kids get killed when they topple over (I actually know someone IRL whom this happened to while I don't know anyone who lost their child because of a drop-side crib).