Menu

Can you suggest a $50 yard/garden gift for a Christmas exchange?

For our family Christmas party we are to bring a $50 gift for the garden or yard for a gift exchange. Any ideas? We have a single older brother in a condo and 2 gardeners in homes and 5 others in homes who aren't avid gardeners, but do garden a bit I'd say. There is a lot of competition to bring the most-wanted/desirable gift. Thanks for your help!

A pink flamingo lawn ornament with $49 taped to it. :D

:lol: I would totally pick that one!! :lol:

I was going to recommend some kind of bird bath, bird feeder, nice sturdy lawn statue...something like that. I'm guessing you guys exchange and can trade? So if the condo brother doesn't want it, someone will?

I wish our families would do things like this instead of having to buy for every.single.person. :glare:

A small garden trellis--I have several of them and use them for everything from sweet potato vine to staking tomatoes or supporting rose bushes.

A big, nice watering can.

A floppy gardening hat.

A few high-quality tools in a pretty tote.

A gift card to a local plant farm.

A couple of soaker hoses and hose-pins/stakes

Quality gardening gloves.

A stack of terra-cotta pots with a few smaller gifts stuck into the top.

--Check out the gardening sections of Tuesday Morning and Marshall's, if you have one close by. They almost always have decorative garden items, tools and novelty items.

I know this wasn't your original question, but I am kinda confused? Is everyone bringing gifts that are garden/yard related? Or are you just wanting to appeal to the recipients that are avid gardeners?

High quality pruners, water breaker, or other garden tools would be tops on my list. If they have roses, maybe a nice pair of leather gauntlet gloves. A pretty planter. Gift certificate to the Antique Rose Emporium (one of my favorites!!). A lawn gnome? (Depending on your family's sense of humor, I could see the last one become one of those legendary exchange gifts that keep showing up year after year. Maybe he lives in one yard for a year, then gets passed along to someone else the next. Or there is a mid-summer gnome knapping and then he reappears at the gift exchange, only no one will confess to bringing him.)

Also, could you do a $50 gift card to a place like Lowe's, Home Depot, or a garden center/nursery? That way, whoever gets it can pick what they want/need.

This is what I would do. Everyone will want that. Of course, if everyone has the same idea, you may simply end up with a gift card exchange. :D

Another good thing is a soil thermometer. I can't tell you how helpful this has actually been for me, and my KIDS picked it out for my bday. My mom took them and wasn't sure what it was but they read about it and though it would be useful. It sure is!

That rain chain is beautiful! Do you use it just for looks, or do you have it pour into a water barrel? Also, will the air plants live in NC in the winter outside? THANKS!

I guess we're old enough that all of our hoses are kind of falling apart. I saw some colored hoses in a magazine this fall-probably BHG-that I thought looked a lot nicer than boring green. I just checked Amazon for purple hoses, and they are just about $50. I'd probably shop around and make sure I was getting a high-quality hose. I would be very happy if no one else wanted it and I was able to take it back home with me!

http://www.amazon.com/Dramm-17006-ColorStorm-Premium-50-Foot-/dp/B00197OLMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349990674&sr=8-1&keywords=purple+garden+hose

That rain chain is beautiful! Do you use it just for looks, or do you have it pour into a water barrel? Also, will the air plants live in NC in the winter outside? THANKS!

Here's an interesting read on them: http://www.rainchains.com/aboutrainchains.html

Hmm... not sure about the the air plants, maybe call a local high end nursery (not Home Depot type place).

You could design a custom wall quote (there are lots of quotes online). See the photo for an example; this one is $45. I design and create these for a business, so let me know if I can help. There are also lots of places online where you can do this, I just happen to be partial to Uppercase Living for a variety of reasons.

post-4372-13535087688823_thumb.jpg

Has anyone said coated trellises? I never seem to have enough. The taller, the bigger, the better. I would tear- up with happiness if someone gave me bean or tomato trellises/cages. The plastic -coated ones last forever, come in pretty colors, and are $.

Edited by LibraryLover