Menu

Question for teachers or those who have taught in a school at any level

I'm planning on going back to school this year to pursue either a master's degree in teaching/education or literature.

I was listening to a talk yesterday from Emily Fischer, the wife of Ty Fischer of VP Academy, entitled something like, "What Every Teacher Should Know". She was explaining those portions of her teacher's training that were very beneficial in a classroom setting.

So, I was wondering, for those of you who have taught at any level in a classroom setting, what classes did you take in college that were the most beneficial? What particular concepts (i.e., Bloom's taxonomy, Jean Piaget---these were a couple of things she mentioned) were the most useful to you, and why? (BTW, I know that Piaget is a person, not a method; she was mentioning some of the concepts he taught) If you don't have a degree in education but taught at a college or other place, what methods were the most useful to you?

Could you also please share what age/grade/level/subject you taught?

This would be very useful information for me.

Any help/advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance! Also, I'm not trying to make homeschool moms who don't have a degree in education or who haven't taught in a classroom setting feel less worthy! I'm simply wondering what coursework or methods work the best in a classroom setting.

P.S. Administrators, I apologize if I've posted this under the wrong board! I thought I'd try here, since the General Boards seem to have the most viewers from all the different boards.

I forgot to put in the title of the thread: Cross-Post. Sorry!

I taught Spanish and to be honest I didn't learn a single useful thing in any education course I ever took.

The thing that helped me the most was knowing my own subject matter. When the class was having difficulty I didn't resort to theories in psychology, I used my knowledge about the rules of Spanish to figure out what they needed more practice on.

What helped me to learn behavior management was a wonderful mentor teacher who was there on the spot to give me very practical and specific advice. The education classes that give advice are about some idealized alien children that live on other planets and were certainly not in my classroom.

That is not to say that I am not interested in educational philosophy. I am. However in my education courses they only ever gave us progressivist philosophers and after I began homeschooling I cam across Diane Ravitch who told the other side of the story in her book "A Century of Failed School Reforms." I used the bibliography in her book to look up the people with ideas that I never learned about.

I finished a Graduate Certificate in Training Development just before I went out on maternity leave with my firstborn because I was directing a large government training program at the time. Most of the professors I had were nationally-known in that field and superb teachers themselves. I learned so much about how people learn and how to write effective lessons. Since then I've of course gotten to know a number of ex-teachers through homeschooling, and frankly most of them received far, far less than I did. In most cases they spent far more time on classroom management and dealing with diversity than the foundations of education.

I periodically think about getting my teaching certification because it would be an obvious extension of what I've already had and nine years now as a part-time professor, but I'm not sure I really want to be in public school classroom either.

I found that the course description and scope and sequence had very little to do with how much I learned in a class. Instead, my learning was more rooted in the gifts of the particular professor.

Educational Psychology is where you will find Piaget and Bloom, as well as General Methods of Instruction. Many teachers find it prudent to also take a class in Classroom Management, even if it's not required. I also highly enjoyed my specific Methods classes, such as Reading and Language Arts Methods of Instruction. The methods classes I did not enjoy were difficult due to quirky profs. Hopefully all of your professors will be full of wisdom and integrity ;).

I just realized I didn't answer your question. In all honesty, *understanding* these concepts helped me, but the most useful part of my education was my special education student teaching, and the usefulness was all in her relationship with me and willingness to help me become a good teacher (as opposed to the most traumatic experience of my life, my second grade student teaching). So, like the previous poster, I found mentoring to be very important, even crucial.

I taught special education at the elementary level (PreK-6).

I agree with Bloom's Taxonomy...Piaget, not so much. The Seven Intellegences were really big when I was teaching PS. I was not impressed with that either.

Reading Marva Collins was helpful... Expecting the best from your students and raising the standards. Also, if you get a change, watch the video The Hobart Shakespearians. I know many people find the teacher (who's name I can't remember) to be pompous. But I enjoyed his books.

I didn't know how to take advantage of my education classes, being young and rather stupid at the time.

I guess the most useful things I gleaned were from child development class and reading methods. Unfortunately, Ohio State was highly anti-phonics. I did learn a lot about Sylvia Ashton-Warner's method of teaching reading to Maori children by making the process relevant to their experience.

I also learned a lot from the reading I did as a preschool teacher, particularly about Piaget, Montessori and Vygotsky. Vygotsky believed that adults could offer "scaffolding" for children's learning, so they could reach higher academically, socially, etc. As my son attended a Monti school, I read all I could get my hands on. It was purely self-education with the added benefit of being able to see elementary Montessori in action.

So much of teaching is learned on the job. I was stunned to realize I could not incorporate much of what OSU taught me in methods classes into the student teaching positions I had, because the unit study/learning center style did not mesh with the very segmented, scheduled, "here's the teacher's guide--read what it says" kind of schools I was put into.

I did learn where I'm most comfortable--age-wise I love K-3. I hope you have a wonderful experience, but be prepared to ask how the theory you learn really translates into classroom teaching. And be sure to ask how to go beyond the teacher's guides, and what to do to when the admin tells you to do something one way, but you want to do it another way.

In studying for my Praxis exam, I'm noticing how much I've forgotten, and how different some of the instruction is these days. It does seem more practical now.

NOne of the theories were applied. Most of it was a waste of time. I taught 2nd and 5th grade. 2nd in a small, private school. 5th in a lower SES, gun-toting, livin' on the streets public school (not an exaggeration). Administrative work expected by principal is learned OTJ. No matter where you teach, the expectations are varied so learning specifics is not beneficial IMO.

The only classes worthy of attendance were actually STUDENT teaching, which you learn everything on the job. The theory stuff was fluff and didn't find value in it, as each year the rules change. Students, parents, administrators all need to be catered to, unlike what we're taught in textbooks.

I taught 7th grade English in the middle school and 1st grade. By far, the most challenging part of teaching was classroom management. It didn't matter if you had a great lesson plan, following every theory to a "t", if you couldn't keep and hold the students' attention. It was the little things that would throw off an entire lesson - passing out manipulatives for math, sharpening pencils (esp. at the 1st grade level - if one kid sharpens his pencil, everyone needs to have their pencil sharpened :tongue_smilie: ).

The next most challenging aspect of teaching was dealing with the district's requirements. The district required that all 7th grade students write daily. So, in addition to teaching grammar skills, I was also expected to have some sort of journal theme for my students. Not a problem, until you also find out that I was required to grade everything. I had over 200 students. I was supposed to grade 200 journal entries every day. Let's just say that if I spent 1 minute per student paper - it would still take me over 3 hours to grade the journals every day. Completely unrealistic expectations.

And to finally answer your question, if I had to pick a concept that was most helpful, it'd be Bloom's Taxonomy. I still use it today with my own children. I also appreciated the little taste I got of Socratic dialogue - I wish I would have learned/practiced that a bit more.

Hi Michelle,

I have a master's in education and certification for art k-12. Some of the courses I thought were beneficial were:

Child Psychology (Bloom, Piaget, etc)

Classroom Management

One I don't remember the name of, but the content of the course was the creative/artistic development of the child. I still have the textbook for that one.

Basic foundations courses in how to teach art at the different levels, ie: how to prepare thorough lesson plans, the different steps in a plan from motivation through closure.

And of course, student teaching. Not even so much for the actual hands-on experience as for the opportunity to observe a master teacher first hand and to try to emulate some of her skills.

I mostly taught the younger grades, so classroom management skills were vitally important. If you don't know how to manage a group of 30 1st graders properly they can become out of control quickly!

You can really learn a great deal about how kids learn in a group setting and the dynamics present. Even the most naturally gifted teachers can benefit from learning time-tested skills they can implement.

In your case, going back after having your own kids and homeschooling, you may not find as much help in some of the classes as those who are just starting out will. Most of what I took were required courses for my degree, so I don't know how much selecting there will be for you.

Best of luck!

I have been in my classroom several days this week getting it ready and ordering supplies. It is an exciting time and I am looking forward to going back to teaching. The thought of fall crossed my mind the other day, and with it the thought of being a teacher in a classroom in the fall when everything is new and fresh and a whole year of learning and getting to know all those kids is ahead. I must say I go that happy feeling all over and smiled even though I was all alone! Teaching must be in my blood!

I have a degree in something else and I got my alternative certification to teach math and science. I did take 3 education courses while I was going through the process. Educating the Exceptional Child was the most beneficial.

I WISH that I had taken a good practical class on classroom management. Instead, I got lots of ideas like having a stationary bike in my room (for ADHD kids to use. Only problem, I didn't have a bike nor enough space to put one.)

I taught middle school math at a public school and then science and nature studies for 1st-6th at a private school.

While an education degree might have helped me, it was the traditionally degreed new teacher who duct taped a students mouth shut and used some inappropriate phrases with her students.:001_huh:

Anyway, the MOST beneficial thing to me was my mentor teacher. In my state, you have a trial year (can't remember the actual name) where a mentor teacher, a college professor, and your school principal come and observe frequently and have multiple meetings. I also spent time observing her class and she was what got me through my first year.

I agree with Bloom's Taxonomy...Piaget, not so much. The Seven Intellegences were really big when I was teaching PS. I was not impressed with that either.

Reading Marva Collins was helpful... Expecting the best from your students and raising the standards. Also, if you get a change, watch the video The Hobart Shakespearians. I know many people find the teacher (who's name I can't remember) to be pompous. But I enjoyed his books.

The Hobart Shakespeareans' teacher is Rafe Esquith. I read his book "Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire". He is really creative and dedicated.

Cindy in Indy

My degree is in Biology then I went back to school for secondary science certification.

Classes that I found helpful: Classroom management, teaching in the content area, and Educating special needs children.

The last one was best for me. What works for SN children, is beneficial for all children.

I did like my child development class that included Piaget. It helped me in parenting though, as I did sec ed math. I got more help from my sister. She told me not to smile at the children on the first day or even the first week. She said wait until the students are well in a routine and some time after before smiling. This worked. Prior to that, I smiled-it was awful. The students ran all over me.

Frankly, I did not like teaching in the public schools. There was never any control. If anyone did anything wrong, there was nothing you could do about it. So..if a kid (7th grader) heckels you throughout the entire class every day, you can resort to sending him to the principal eventually, but for the most part, you are stuck with him. The principal will always send him back. When I was in school (not that long ago I though, I graduated high school in 1988) kids were not allowed to cause any trouble or they would be completely kicked out. I like that policy.

I'm planning on going back to school this year to pursue either a master's degree in teaching/education or literature.

I was listening to a talk yesterday from Emily Fischer, the wife of Ty Fischer of VP Academy, entitled something like, "What Every Teacher Should Know". She was explaining those portions of her teacher's training that were very beneficial in a classroom setting.

So, I was wondering, for those of you who have taught at any level in a classroom setting, what classes did you take in college that were the most beneficial? What particular concepts (i.e., Bloom's taxonomy, Jean Piaget---these were a couple of things she mentioned) were the most useful to you, and why? (BTW, I know that Piaget is a person, not a method; she was mentioning some of the concepts he taught) If you don't have a degree in education but taught at a college or other place, what methods were the most useful to you?

Could you also please share what age/grade/level/subject you taught?

This would be very useful information for me.

Any help/advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance! Also, I'm not trying to make homeschool moms who don't have a degree in education or who haven't taught in a classroom setting feel less worthy! I'm simply wondering what coursework or methods work the best in a classroom setting.

P.S. Administrators, I apologize if I've posted this under the wrong board! I thought I'd try here, since the General Boards seem to have the most viewers from all the different boards.

I forgot to put in the title of the thread: Cross-Post. Sorry!

Honestly? None of my education classes helped me out in the practical day to day classroom stuff. To me, the best experience was getting in there and actually working with the kids and dealing with the real life challenges that teachers face.

I'm working on my first cup of coffee, so bear with me. Nothing in any of my college courses was of any use to me at all. However, I know the value of a good teacher. I hate math, but I loved a couple of my math courses because the teacher was always willing to stop and explain something to any of us.

Once, after he had been over and over something, he asked "Now does anyone still not understand?" I was the only one who apologetically raised my hand. He looked around and said "Don't worry, the rest of them haven't gotten it yet either."

So that's my advice to you.

And if you ever have to sub, which I did for a while, here's this gem. My first sub class was a computer class full of football players. I was an elementary teacher. Now this might sound silly, but it always worked for me. When I subbed elem, I could dress up and be fine. When I subbed high school I dressed differently, jeans whenever I could, (small towns, they didn't care) and then I'd carry a copy of Rolling Stone with me and slam it down on the teacher's desk. No problems.

I taught Spanish and to be honest I didn't learn a single useful thing in any education course I ever took.

The thing that helped me the most was knowing my own subject matter. When the class was having difficulty I didn't resort to theories in psychology, I used my knowledge about the rules of Spanish to figure out what they needed more practice on.

What helped me to learn behavior management was a wonderful mentor teacher who was there on the spot to give me very practical and specific advice. The education classes that give advice are about some idealized alien children that live on other planets and were certainly not in my classroom.

That is not to say that I am not interested in educational philosophy. I am. However in my education courses they only ever gave us progressivist philosophers and after I began homeschooling I cam across Diane Ravitch who told the other side of the story in her book "A Century of Failed School Reforms." I used the bibliography in her book to look up the people with ideas that I never learned about.

Honestly? None of my education classes helped me out in the practical day to day classroom stuff. To me, the best experience was getting in there and actually working with the kids and dealing with the real life challenges that teachers face.

I have to agree with you two. I did not use nor do I use anything from my education classes now. I found them to be completely one sided. The college I was in for my master classes didn't even have a constant grading policy. I use my experience as a tutor and my far too short of a time sudent teaching experience.

I think it would be better to throw most of the classes away and have more years of student teaching.

Well, FTR, I started a school at my church, multiple grades in one room, first through high school. I have no college at all, just my years of teaching at home and in Sunday school.

::waits for the gasps of horror::

It was *private,* you understand, so *I* got to make all the decisions, on everything. I have to say that there were lots of homeschool-y things going on, such as Greenleaf Press's Famous Men books one year, a couple of Beautiful Feet Books study guides another, Easy Grammar and Writing Strands, and others. I was able to be flexible with the curriculum, as well.

I think it was classroom management that was the trickiest thing for me, although since I had a wide range of ages my class was different than what yours will be. We were much more like a family than a school.

I have to say that I am pleased with how things turned out, overall.

This probably wasn't much help, but I did feel compelled to say it anyway.:D

I completely agree with WTMindy. Although I found a lot of my education classes interesting in and of themselves, they were not particularly useful in the classroom. Perhaps that's what makes teaching so exciting...each class is a mystery, filled with many personalities, motivations, skills and ambitions. Your students each have a key...and your job is to find it, and help them unlock whatever gift it entails.

So off you go to class, armed with your teacher's college knowledge and experience, ready to deploy them with strategic finesse, and in return, your students give you an unforgettable, opportunity to share your passion about a subject with them, whether they are there because they actually share your love of Political Theory or just need the credit!

Just like at home, the classroom challenges you to reach new levels of competence, and creativity daily. But unlike home, the focus is more about teaching the actual texts and keeping score, and less about helping to self-actualize each student through your subject area.

I can; please forgive if this post is too long. Plus, my keyboard is absolutely possessed and goes crazy on me sometimes! :tongue_smilie:

Myrtle, I love this, and I really appreciate the suggestions.

You echo what so many others have said; a great mentor-teacher who offered very practical advice. I'll also look up the book you suggested; thank you very much. I love your sense of humor!

Jennifer C. (Snow White), you too seem to be stating the essentials:

Educational Psychology is where you will find Piaget and Bloom, as well as General Methods of Instruction. Many teachers find it prudent to also take a class in Classroom Management, even if it's not required. I also highly enjoyed my specific Methods classes, such as Reading and Language Arts Methods of Instruction. The methods classes I did not enjoy were difficult due to quirky profs. Hopefully all of your professors will be full of wisdom and integrity ;).

I just realized I didn't answer your question. In all honesty, *understanding* these concepts helped me, but the most useful part of my education was my special education student teaching, and the usefulness was all in her relationship with me and willingness to help me become a good teacher (as opposed to the most traumatic experience of my life, my second grade student teaching). So, like the previous poster, I found mentoring to be very important, even crucial.

I don't know exactly which direction I'll go; I'm leaning towards the master's in lit., because I do like literature. My real passion, however, is foreign languages and "quirky" things like medieval manuscripts, etc. For our area of small-town America, though, I would be virtually unemployable, so I must be somewhat practical. Nevertheless, I realize some understanding of educational theories would be helpful, along with the useful, practical things one can learn from coursework in education.

I really wish so much more of degrees in education could be simply with a great mentor-teacher.

Chris, I've heard this comment from many teachers about their p.s. districts. I haven't followed all the ins and outs of "No Child Left Behind", but I do know that school districts in our areas are ruled by the MAP test used in p.s.'s in Missouri. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're referring to, but so many teachers in our area come to hate teaching in the p.s.'s because of the factory-style learning they're forced to incorporate. Which is why I'm leaning towards community college instruction, if it's possible. I'm glad to hear that the Praxis exam seems to be more practical rather than theoretical now.

So much of teaching is learned on the job. I was stunned to realize I could not incorporate much of what OSU taught me in methods classes into the student teaching positions I had, because the unit study/learning center style did not mesh with the very segmented, scheduled, "here's the teacher's guide--read what it says" kind of schools I was put into.

In studying for my Praxis exam, I'm noticing how much I've forgotten, and how different some of the instruction is these days. It does seem more practical now.

Really, you gals have me rolling on the floor! Remudamom, I love your honesty! Sounds like your math teacher was a gem! I may have to borrow your idea of the jeans/Rolling Stone magazine thing if I have to sub high school!

I'm working on my first cup of coffee, so bear with me. Nothing in any of my college courses was of any use to me at all. However, I know the value of a good teacher. I hate math, but I loved a couple of my math courses because the teacher was always willing to stop and explain something to any of us.

Once, after he had been over and over something, he asked "Now does anyone still not understand?" I was the only one who apologetically raised my hand. He looked around and said "Don't worry, the rest of them haven't gotten it yet either."

So that's my advice to you.

And if you ever have to sub, which I did for a while, here's this gem. My first sub class was a computer class full of football players. I was an elementary teacher. Now this might sound silly, but it always worked for me. When I subbed elem, I could dress up and be fine. When I subbed high school I dressed differently, jeans whenever I could, (small towns, they didn't care) and then I'd carry a copy of Rolling Stone with me and slam it down on the teacher's desk. No problems.

I'll have to respond more later, plus I'm out of rep. for the day, although each and every single one of you deserve it. You've given me a lot to think about.

Like I said, were I to pursue my absolute passion, we would either have to move (not an option, since dh is self-employed) or I would be unemployed. In the real world in which I live, I'm looking at teaching English/literature at either the h.s. or cc. level. My gifts/talents are more verbal rather than quantitative/mathematical, so I need to go in that direction. My dh encourages me towards the cc, because he thinks I would really detest the bureaucracy at the h.s., plus the discipline problems.

More later . . . and thank you all so very much!

and student teaching where you get to apply the behavior management, because if you do not have control there is nothing you can teach. Since you've had your own kids positive behavior management will probably be fairly straight forward. After that the classes where I actually learned to make some of my own materials and adapt curriculum. I guess adapting curriculum would fall under "methods". So, first you have control and then second you know have multiple ways of presenting material to kids who are paying attention because you have control.

I don't know exactly which direction I'll go; I'm leaning towards the master's in lit., because I do like literature. My real passion, however, is foreign languages and "quirky" things like medieval manuscripts, etc. For our area of small-town America, though, I would be virtually unemployable, so I must be somewhat practical.

I can see why it's a problem for you, but have you considered getting an advanced degree in foreign language and teaching at the college level? Surely, there must be some within driving distance that might hire you, and you could actually do some work with medieval manuscripts that way. With a masters you could teach at community colleges and some private colleges, and with a PhD you could teach anywhere. You might be able to be an instructor at a university with a master's degree, too, but wouldn't have the opportunity for advancement without the PhD.

Another idea: have you considered contacting people who actually have jobs related to what are most passionate about to find out if they have any suggestions for you regarding possible job options besides teaching? You could contact the Spanish/French/Italian/etc. medieval literature department of whatever university is closest to you to ask if they can suggest any options that might work for you if you chose to pursue a degree in that field besides teaching college. For example, the Hispanic Seminary of Medieval Studies is based in NY, affiliated with the Hispanic Society of America, and it publishes manuscripts of medieval Spanish. I have no idea if they do all the work on those manuscripts, or if they hire out some of their work, but they might have some suggestions for you. Other languages may have similar organizations that could give you ideas.

I hate to discourage you from going into teaching, if that's what you really want to do, but it doesn't sound like it is. Before you settle for less than your heart's desire, do some research and find out if there might really be a way for you to pursue your passion while living in your small town!

I have an elementary education degree with a minor in language arts, so I was certified to teach English/language arts through 12th grade.

I taught k,1,2 and middle school language arts. I found very little from my college that I could really apply in the classroom. I think the best one was the class on learning disabilities. I did enjoy all my language arts classes, mostly b/c they improved my understanding and skills in that content area, and helped me be more equipped to teach it.

In many of my other classes (like Science,pe,social studies for elementary teachers) we spent a lot of time developing lessons on particular topics and sharing them with the class so at the end of the semester, we came away with a book of lessons for a particular subject. Open any good homeschool book and find these same lessons and save yourself thousands of $$$. (Just kidding, of course, although the irony has not been lost on me over the years.)

but the ones with actual teaching labs. My internship was helpful in teaching how to manage the daily routine of a classroom of children and how to be sure actual teaching took place. I actually felt disturbed by the lack of preparation I had received. I think my first two years of college where we took basic core classes is one place where improvement could be made. I should have been required to know math, history, geography, grammar, etc. at a much higher level than I did. My classes in which we were supposed to learn how to teach the subjects were awful. I graduated from Auburn Univ. with a bachelor's degree in elem. educ. so it was probably not a bad school. They seemed to push their own books a lot, and these were not always the best. I had to introduce the concept of multiplication to our 2nd graders during my internship and not one class or book had ever even given me an idea of how to put this out in front of children. I loved teaching so I put a lot into it and overcame this with good instincts.

I think I learned more when I began teaching at a small, private Montessori school. The Montessori school had an exact plan for how to teach concepts in subjects such as, math, grammar, etc.

HTH

I can see why it's a problem for you, but have you considered getting an advanced degree in foreign language and teaching at the college level? Surely, there must be some within driving distance that might hire you, and you could actually do some work with medieval manuscripts that way. With a masters you could teach at community colleges and some private colleges, and with a PhD you could teach anywhere. You might be able to be an instructor at a university with a master's degree, too, but wouldn't have the opportunity for advancement without the PhD.

the closest thing to a university is a good 1-1/2 hours' drive away from us. Plus, at my advanced age :tongue_smilie: , would I even be employable?

My degree is in German, plus a concentration in French and history. Many years have passed since then; however I still have a good reading understanding of both languages. I'm currently more interested in Latin, but we live in a town where---shall we say---the closest thing we had to a decent bookstore closed 1-1/2 years after its opening? We do have a fine Christian bookstore, which is great, but I sometimes get the feeling our town isn't real big on reading. :glare: (Once I was looking for a major news magazine at several stores in our town; couldn't find any, and found out they didn't stock any!)

Had I pursued a master's years ago, it would probably have been in something like Middle High German with a focus on Medieval Lit. and manuscripts. I would love for Latin to be taught extensively in schools again, but so far our public h.s.'s teach only Spanish, which I don't know. Not that Spanish is a bad thing, mind you---very necessary in this day and age. But, it's not my background.

As far as interests go, I love to read, and I love to discuss literature, which is why English lit. would be fine with me. As far as passion goes, though, anything along the lines of languages, teaching a foreign language, German, Latin (of course, I'd had to get an undergrad. first in that one, too), historical linguistics, etc.---those areas are more my passion.

Both Washington University and St. Louis University in St. Louis offer degrees in Latin, but they're in the opposite direction of where our kids are registered for school. Both are excellent schools. Still, I'll think on your suggestion more.

Thank you so much for your input! I will definitely consider what you're suggesting. No matter which way I look at it, I'm almost certain I'll have to take more undergrad. coursework; I can live with that.

I have certification for k-8. My degree is elementary ed with science specialization. I've taught 4th, 5th, and 4th/5th combined classes.

The only education classes I got anything out of were elementary math and exceptional children. The elementary math was taught in a manner that allowed me to find out what it FELT like to be a student learning basic math. That was an eye opener. Exceptional children was good because I had zero knowledge of children with special needs. Even my student teaching was only good in a learn by the seat of your pants way. The teacher had me sit in on her classes for a day. The next day she handed them over to me and stayed in the teacher's lounge from there on.

I personally think that teaching degrees should be a fifth year masters program. A few basic education courses followed by student teaching (hopefully with a better mentor than I had).

I taught Algebra, Algebra 2, Precalc and Biology to 8-12th graders at a private school for 4 years. I started before I had even graduated with a BS because it was my dd's school at the time and they were desperate.

I had never had any interest in teaching before, but I did afterwards, so I decided to do the post BS endorsement. I lasted 0.5 semesters. All the student teaching was done at inner city schools, and I became so flipping frustrated, I knew that I would NEVER be a teacher with a teaching degree.

When students would come into the Algebra class and not know their times tables, that was frustrating. To find out that I am not allowed to cover the basics the kids needed to know from last year that they never learned was frustrating. But to literally find out that the teachers just pass the kids from year to year ("Im just curving the grades...") made me :banghead:, leave and never look back.

I know this didnt answer your question, I was just sharing because it was sort of on topic... :blush:

Eventhough I think some of my college education classes were useful, the most memorable lessons I have learned were from student teaching and being mentored. Watching, listening, and gathering info from actual teachers also contributed to my education!

Yeah, Dh teaches Auslan, but is qualified to teach Psych and IT. One of his lecturers was on a role with using music in the classroom and simply wouldn't believe that DH couldn't use music as a teaching tool in a Deaf classroom. Fancy getting to PhD level and not understanding that Deaf people can't hear stuff! (Obviously some Deaf enjoy music, but it sure isn't going to be useful as a teaching tool in a classroom of profoundly deaf kids.)

I'll bet you know more about teaching than anyone has ever learned in a teaching course. I know more teaching theory than my dh and I've never been a teacher. He's so busy he hasn't got time to research that sort of stuff. He does wish some of the PDs he's obliged to attend were less about teaching and more about childhood development. Going from teaching year 11 and 12 to teaching year 7s, some who've started puberty and some who haven't, has been a bit of a shock. But you probably know all that sort of stuff too.

Rosie

Hmmm...I think it depends what you'll be teaching. I had child development in my undergrad work, which was wonderful w/ my dc--Piaget was very interesting. Somebody else, too, but the names have slipped.

But I taught highschool & college, so Piaget didn't come into play much. For those levels--I taught lit & writing--I'd say creativity was important. Learning different approaches to try w/ different kids/learning styles, etc. was really helpful. But...it's hard for me to separate what I learned in my degree from what I learned in my own hs research from what I learned from the practical day-to-day of parenting. Kwim?

In case it makes a difference, ds was 1.5-3ish while I was working on my MA; dd was gestating-1.5ish. So I was learning a LOT at home at the same time, iykwim.

IHowever in my education courses they only ever gave us progressivist philosophers and after I began homeschooling I cam across Diane Ravitch who told the other side of the story in her book "A Century of Failed School Reforms." I used the bibliography in her book to look up the people with ideas that I never learned about.

I loved this book as well! The other book I would recommend is E. D. Hirsch's The Schools We Need and Why We Don't Have Them. It is a great explanation of the philosophies taught at teacher's college and some of the problems with those ideas. I wish I had read this before going to teacher school. I would hear these ideas, and common sense would tell me that there would be problems with these ideas. These two books echoed and clarified my own thoughts.

My background: I subbed in elementary and high schools for 1 1/2 years before kids and finished 1/2 of an elementary credential before kids.

Well, my university did teach me all of the required courses... however, I did not feel I learned much until I began to actually teach in my own classroom. (LOL) I learned so much from fellow teachers, good/bad administrators, students, parents, being a District Mentor teacher, serving on district/county committees, teaching at good/bad/dangerous schools, etc. Pursue the needed education -- it is needed -- but with experience comes wisdom.

I taught at various schools throughout Southern CA and each one helped my teaching skills. I was determined to become a principal and changed grade levels. However, I soon grew disillusioned with the system and began to experience burnout: no one cared. I do agree with everyone that classroom management is key -- be fair and consistent. Even the worst behavior will (eventually) be tamed. You are in charge. Be prepared to have some administrators not back you up and be on your own. You may even be lucky to have an administrator who cares and disciplines.

The last school I taught at was a Charter (K-8) School. It was a wonderful experience! They mandated parental involvement, a "1-2-3" strikes you're expelled policy, and excellent curriculum like Saxon Math and WRTR (Spalding Phonics). And my administrator was so awesome! Turns out the majority of parents were former homeschoolers and they started the school. Very rigorous education and it was an eye opener for me to see HSers in a positive light.

I do have to admit learning how to write an effective lesson plan does help. :) Last week, I knocked the socks off the fathers of our Homeschool Rocketry Club when I had to lead an activity. They asked what book I got the lesson from... (LOL) I told them I made it up. My professors would be proud.

You asked what ages/grades I taught:

Preschool (2/3 year olds)

1st Grade (6 year olds)

Kindergarten (5 year olds)

3rd Grade (8/9 year olds)

**4th Grade (9/10 year olds)** -- Charter School

5th Grade (10/11 year olds)

6th Grade (11/12 year olds)

SDC Resource Class (7-13 year olds)

Special Ed (1st Grade - 6 year olds)

HTH -- Pat

Former K-6 Schoolteacher (15+ years)