Menu

What to do with three gallons of skim milk? I got them on clearanc for .36 each...

Forgive me if this is redundant (I didn't read all the posts!) ....

Definitely FREEZE it! If you thaw it in a sink of cold water, there's no need to break the seal and remove excess for headspace. Thawing in water also helps with the separation that sometimes occurs. We buy in bulk and freeze every month :)

Hope that helps!

Make tomato soup with it and freeze that, if you can get ahold of good garden tomatoes (crucial for this recipe).

Tomato Bisque

Simple and really good--a great use for garden tomatoes.

3 T butter

1 medium onion, sliced

1 clove garlic, minced

5 large, well-ripened tomatos

1 T chopped fresh basil

¼ t dry mustard

¼ t salt

1/8 t pepper

¼ cup tomato paste

¼ cups flour

2 cups chicken broth

1-2 cups light cream

2-4 T sherry

Melt butter and sauté onion and garlic until golden. Slice tomatoes and add with mustard, salt, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered , 8-10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and basil. Add flour and chicken broth, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Puree in a food processor, then strain to remove seeds and skins. Add cream.

Reheat, but do not boil, to serve. Add sherry when hot.

I use nonfat milk instead of cream, and I usually double the garlic. This is a really good recipe that you can also doctor up with white beans, or canned clams, or croutons, or shaved parmesan.

Am I the only one who has never heard of milk going on clearance?

It might depend on your state. I know PA was very strict about milk prices. There was a minimum price, and you couldn't sell below that or use coupons for milk. Milk is cheaper in general here in OH, but I've also seen milk with clearance tags (although not down that low!), so I don't think we have the same pricing guidelines.