Menu

Neighbor dog advice

The homes on both sides and behind mine all have dogs. The ones on the sides are totally fine, but we are having issues with the dog behind us.

Whenever my kids are in the backyard he barks and runs back and forth at the fence. He also runs at the fence and tries to jump it, which terrifies my kids. If they go within ten feet of the fence or so he growls, so they don't do that. It scares my little two especially.

I'm outside the whole time they are, so I'm sure they have not done something to antagonize him.

The neighbors are essentially never home. The dog can't go inside, but he has shade and water. I've nicely tried to talk to them about the barking- especially when he does it for hours at night, but they aren't really receptive.

I'm kinda concerned that one of these times he's going to clear the fence. It's a six foot wood one, but when he jumps he is at mid chest.

It's getting to the point where my two year old doesn't want to go in the yard. :(

Wwyd?

It sounds like the dog does not get out for long walks with its owners. The running and barking sound like yard aggression to me. He is warning your kids that this is his territory and he is protecting it. If the owners are not going to do anything after you have attempted to talk to them then you are left with no choice but to call the police the next time he is behaving that way.

It sounds like the dog does not get out for long walks with its owners. The running and barking sound like yard aggression to me. He is warning your kids that this is his territory and he is protecting it. If the owners are not going to do anything after you have attempted to talk to them then you are left with no choice but to call the police the next time he is behaving that way.

I'm worried about my neighbors getting really mad.

And yeah, they never walk him.

I wonder if those anti-barking things you hang from a tree would help, at least a little. (I forget what they are called, maybe someone can chime in.) You can hang it in a tree or put it somewhere near the fence in your yard. Neighbors will never know why their dog doesn't bark anymore. ;)

I wouldn't necessarily assume that it's any kind of aggression. IMO it's just as likely that the poor thing is bored out of his mind and is just (over)reacting to something, anything that might relieve his boredom.

It's not so much the barking as the growling and trying to hop the fence. I'm sure the poor thing is terribly bored, but if he clears the fence while my kids are in the yard, I have no way of knowing if he would just be friendly.

Not a solution -- but have you tried "meeting" the dog to see if he is aggressive when he's not behind the fence? Could you walk around the block and speak with the neighbors, and get a chance to get close to the dog? (I'm certainly not suggesting that you bring the kids with you, in case he truly is vicious!)

Have you considered asking the neighbors if it would be OK to toss some treats over the fence to the dog while he's out in the yard? I'm wondering if you might be able to make friends with him.

Honestly, I don't know what else you can do, unless your town has an ordinance against dogs being left outside in a fenced yard. I doubt they'll do anything about a dog that barks during the day, but it would be worth a call to find out.

I don't blame you for being worried about your kids. The dog could be vicious, and it's only a matter of time before he scales that fence.

I would go meet the dog. I agree w/ a pp that it may just be bored. I would ask the neighbors if you could meet the dog, and let her/him get to know you and your voice. Sometimes those 6 foot wooden fences make the situation worse, because the dog wants to protect it's property, and can't see that the noise on the other side is not a threat. Make sure you speak to the dog through the fence in a calm, sweet voice, and don't be harsh towards it.

I would go meet the dog. I agree w/ a pp that it may just be bored. I would ask the neighbors if you could meet the dog, and let her/him get to know you and your voice. Sometimes those 6 foot wooden fences make the situation worse, because the dog wants to protect it's property, and can't see that the noise on the other side is not a threat. Make sure you speak to the dog through the fence in a calm, sweet voice, and don't be harsh towards it.

:iagree:

It would probably actually be better if it was a chain link fence, so the dog could see what he was missing. He probably figures there's a lot of fun happening in the yard behind that fence, and he's angry that he's not part of it. (Or else he figures there's some pretty good prey over there :eek: -- that's why I think the OP needs to get to know that dog!)

Not a solution -- but have you tried "meeting" the dog to see if he is aggressive when he's not behind the fence? Could you walk around the block and speak with the neighbors, and get a chance to get close to the dog? (I'm certainly not suggesting that you bring the kids with you, in case he truly is vicious!)

Have you considered asking the neighbors if it would be OK to toss some treats over the fence to the dog while he's out in the yard? I'm wondering if you might be able to make friends with him.

Honestly, I don't know what else you can do, unless your town has an ordinance against dogs being left outside in a fenced yard. I doubt they'll do anything about a dog that barks during the day, but it would be worth a call to find out.

I don't blame you for being worried about your kids. The dog could be vicious, and it's only a matter of time before he scales that fence.

:D posting at the same time- great minds!

I would buy something like this NO bark Birdhouse There are also devices that you hold in your hand and press when they bark.

My mom has one and it's worked on all three houses around her. Up to you whether you say, "No" and press the button... or just press it. It kinda makes the dog's ears ring a bit, but works. And, my mom had 5 dogs jumping at the fence until she did this... Peace in her back yard again, which she deserves :) (The hand held ones are under $20.00) PS.... happier neighbors than you complaining about the dogs... and it can remain our secret how you did it :)

call animal control to discuss your concerns. They may have some idea, plus it gives a head's up about the situation.

:iagree:

If the neighbors aren't being friendly about it, and you aren't able to meet the dog, I don't think you have any choice other than to call animal control or the police non-emergency number to ask for their advice.

Are the neighbors at home in the evenings or on weekends? Perhaps you and your dh could go for a walk at those times and try to meet the dog.

OP - You mentioned you worry the neighbors would get mad if you called the police.

Are you more worried about the neighbors getting mad or the dog harming your children? He (dog) is already a nuisance and the owners havent been receptive to change.

FWIW... I was SHOCKED that yesterday our 4lb Maltese jumped UP and ONTO my bed (easliy 30" off the ground - maybe more - it is a pretty high mattress!) I looked to see what he used as a "step" and there was NOTHING - just a good jump on his part. Our old yorkie was a little bigger (6lb) and she could get on high beds no problem.

So - I wouldn't be surprised if a larger dog, properly motivated by either boredom or aggression could get himself over the fence at some point.

Well, for the treat thing, I was thinking something really good. Yes, if you did it all the time when he behaved like that, it'd reinforce. It's a shot in the dark. Just if it would get him busy being happy, then you could reinforce the good/happy dog behavior instead of angry dog.

FWIW, I do suggest the sound thing. It works well. The treats was more of a joke/non-permanent solution.

It would probably actually be better if it was a chain link fence, so the dog could see what he was missing. He probably figures there's a lot of fun happening in the yard behind that fence, and he's angry that he's not part of it. (Or else he figures there's some pretty good prey over there :eek: -- that's why I think the OP needs to get to know that dog!)

:iagree:There is a charming little shih-tzu next door to us. The neighbors put some kind of weave-in barrier in their chain link fence on the side that faces our house, so she cannot see us or our dogs, but she can hear us quite clearly. Whenever she hears one of us in our yard, she goes nuts. She runs and barks and runs and barks and runs....well, you get the picture. But whenever I approach her yard (our fences are about 5 feet apart) from the side without the barrier she is the sweetest little thing ever. No growling, no barking, no running around. I think she really hates the fact that she can't see what's going on in "her" neighborhood. So I talk to her every time I go out in our yard. I tell her good morning, that she's a pretty puppy, that I heard about her trip to the groomers, that I'm picking weeds or scooping the yard, or whatever. As long as I'm talking to her, she is fine. But if I stop chatting, she turns back into a pint-sized Cujo.

I agree that you should first try to make friends with what is almost certainly an animal bored out of its mind. If the dog is friendly, you and your kids could offer to walk him/her to help curb the running/barking. You might just wind up making friends with the dog and the neighbors!

:iagree:There is a charming little shih-tzu next door to us. The neighbors put some kind of weave-in barrier in their chain link fence on the side that faces our house, so she cannot see us or our dogs, but she can hear us quite clearly. Whenever she hears one of us in our yard, she goes nuts. She runs and barks and runs and barks and runs....well, you get the picture. But whenever I approach her yard (our fences are about 5 feet apart) from the side without the barrier she is the sweetest little thing ever. No growling, no barking, no running around. I think she really hates the fact that she can't see what's going on in "her" neighborhood. So I talk to her every time I go out in our yard. I tell her good morning, that she's a pretty puppy, that I heard about her trip to the groomers, that I'm picking weeds or scooping the yard, or whatever. As long as I'm talking to her, she is fine. But if I stop chatting, she turns back into a pint-sized Cujo.

I agree that you should first try to make friends with what is almost certainly an animal bored out of its mind. If the dog is friendly, you and your kids could offer to walk him/her to help curb the running/barking. You might just wind up making friends with the dog and the neighbors!

I don't really want to walk, play with, buy treats for or otherwise take care of someone else's pet. If I wanted to be walking a dog, I'd own one. I feel like this makes me a terrible person or something.

I just want my kids to be able to play in their own yard without being afraid.

I do think I will get one of those anti bark things people mentioned.

The small, hand held sound zapper only worked for a few weeks with our dog (yep, we've got a barker). But that was for us, for inside. Outside, IF, which is rare, we don't get to him within about a minute, any of our neighbors just "talk" to him, and he's fine. But nicely. As in "Rex, buddy, everything's okay", whatever, in a calm voice, and he's fine. He wasn't in the beginning but he's used to them now. Usually, we get to him fast though. We don't leave him outside when we aren't home. He still barks but it's muffled through the walls of the house....

I don't really want to walk, play with, buy treats for or otherwise take care of someone else's pet. If I wanted to be walking a dog, I'd own one. I feel like this makes me a terrible person or something.

Golly! The folks who recommended getting to know the dog were just making a suggestion. You *did* ask for advice. I was just pointing out that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. But that's clearly not what you wanted to hear!

Golly! The folks who recommended getting to know the dog were just making a suggestion. You *did* ask for advice. I was just pointing out that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. But that's clearly not what you wanted to hear!

I think there's a huge gulf between meeting a dog and regularly walking it. I HAVE tried being nice to them. And I am taking some of the offered advice- the anti-bark stuff.

I don't think a lack of desire to exercise someone else's pet is being vinegar.

I also don't know why people like that own pets. :cursing::angry:

I don't either. He was a puppy when then got him and as far as I can tell once he wasn't tiny and cute he moved outside full time. I asked my next door neighbor if they have had any issues and they mentioned the incessant night time barking, too, and apparently they also had an unproductive conversation about it with the neighbor.

I don't either. He was a puppy when then got him and as far as I can tell once he wasn't tiny and cute he moved outside full time. I asked my next door neighbor if they have had any issues and they mentioned the incessant night time barking, too, and apparently they also had an unproductive conversation about it with the neighbor.

Idiots. That poor dog.

i am sorry....... i really don't have any helpful advice or input. If it were MY dog, I certainly be more considerate. Your neighbors really are morons. How can they disturb the peace at night, regularly?

:grouphug: I would feel the same way in your shoes (that I do not want to train someone else's dog). You're not a terrible person for feeling this way. THEY are terrible owners for creating this situation.

Ha! I remembered that thread as I posted this. :lol:

And I am totally with you that I don't want to 'get to know', or talk to or give treats to the neighbors dog. I just want use of my yard without the yapping.

Thankfully I now live on over an acre and I hear no dogs barking. It is the country though and the neighbor dogs wander down sometimes, but I just say, 'Ruby go home!' and she obediently complies. Not sure what I would do if she didn't just leave. :glare:

FWIW, I don't think anyone was suggesting that you are a terrible person if you don't try to make friends with the dog; we were just offering possible suggestions. I'm sorry if you were offended in any way; it certainly wasn't my intention. I just suggested it because I thought it was the simplest thing to try, and would also be a way to find out if the dog was basically friendly or nasty.

If the dog is barking at night, that should definitely be something for which the police can issue a summons -- please be sure to check your local ordinances, because a dog barking incessantly for hours on end is almost certainly not permitted.

FWIW, I don't think anyone was suggesting that you are a terrible person if you don't try to make friends with the dog; we were just offering possible suggestions. I'm sorry if you were offended in any way; it certainly wasn't my intention. I just suggested it because I thought it was the simplest thing to try, and would also be a way to find out if the dog was basically friendly or nasty.

If the dog is barking at night, that should definitely be something for which the police can issue a summons -- please be sure to check your local ordinances, because a dog barking incessantly for hours on end is almost certainly not permitted.

You didn't offend me, it was the snarky comment about me not wanting advice. :001_smile:

After a brief googling it looks like Wyoming's helpful statutes on this involve shooting dogs for going after livestock or on your property. I don't think I want to shoot the dog!

We have privacy fence all around our yard, and our dogs bark at the neighbor dogs and kids, their dogs bark at our dogs and kids, etc. Its just incessant barking, until we make them ckme in. Our newest neighbor with two large dogs (ours are small breed) says his dogs are friendly...but they sure sound vicious when they're barking at us (every time we go outside). They were obsessed with our dogs, and sure enough they dug under and broke through the fence into our yard. I let my dogs out and the next thing I hear is my dogs crying. I'm just glad it was my dogs and not my kids back there with his 'friendly' Rottweiler. Yes, I'm probably biased since my dogs are small, just glad they weren't hurt.

We used to have neighbors behind us with two pit bulls that charged the fence and tried to dig under. That was scary. They left the dogs out all the time and they barked all night. It was just irresponsible ownership. We tried the police and animal control and talking directly to the owners; none of it worked. He eventually got rid of them after he got some heat from his commanding officer (army town...) I believe. I was always afraid that I'd look out and see a pit bull in my back yard. I don't think I'd hesitate to defend my kids in that case.

I don't know what to do in your case. I think I'd try the noise zapper thing, it keeps my dogs at bay(when I answer the door), not quiet though. And I'd keep making noise to animal control about him jumping at the fence.

We have privacy fence all around our yard, and our dogs bark at the neighbor dogs and kids, their dogs bark at our dogs and kids, etc. Its just incessant barking, until we make them ckme in. Our newest neighbor with two large dogs (ours are small breed) says his dogs are friendly...but they sure sound vicious when they're barking at us (every time we go outside). They were obsessed with our dogs, and sure enough they dug under and broke through the fence into our yard. I let my dogs out and the next thing I hear is my dogs crying. I'm just glad it was my dogs and not my kids back there with his 'friendly' Rottweiler. Yes, I'm probably biased since my dogs are small, just glad they weren't hurt.

We used to have neighbors behind us with two pit bulls that charged the fence and tried to dig under. That was scary. They left the dogs out all the time and they barked all night. It was just irresponsible ownership. We tried the police and animal control and talking directly to the owners; none of it worked. He eventually got rid of them after he got some heat from his commanding officer (army town...) I believe. I was always afraid that I'd look out and see a pit bull in my back yard. I don't think I'd hesitate to defend my kids in that case.

I don't know what to do in your case. I think I'd try the noise zapper thing, it keeps my dogs at bay(when I answer the door), not quiet though. And I'd keep making noise to animal control about him jumping at the fence.

Dug under?:svengo:

I'm sorry you had to deal with that!

Look into noise ordinances for your town. Here they can be enforced at any time of the day if the noise is nuisance level and a dog who constantly barks(even if he is barking AT you from his backyard while your in yours) can be considered a nuisance. Someone will come and, if it's nuisance level, the dog owners will be contacted and, possibly, fined.

No need to shoot the dog;) or call in about it being dangerous for now. A visit from the police and/or a lighter wallet might make the owner pay attention.

Look into noise ordinances for your town. Here they can be enforced at any time of the day if the noise is nuisance level and a dog who constantly barks(even if he is barking AT you from his backyard while your in yours) can be considered a nuisance. Someone will come and, if it's nuisance level, the dog owners will be contacted and, possibly, fined.

No need to shoot the dog;) or call in about it being dangerous for now. A visit from the police and/or a lighter wallet might make the owner pay attention.

Awesome call, I just found our noise ordinance and it looks like I can call based on that! Thank you! And generally yes, I'd consider shooting pets a last resort. It just makes me remember the brouhaha over Scarlett's post.

Edited by theretohere