Menu

Help! My 6 year-old wants to do LOTS of Science Experiments....

rachelpants

My plan was just to use Five in a Row for Science, ug. LOL. He keeps telling everyone that "We do Science experiments at my school!" (we put an egg in vinegar and made a siphon out of a paper towel, LOL). He is so excited about it...I don't want to let him down. He is very motivated to do his handwriting, etc....so we can get to the experiment.

Sigh...I wasn't planning on buying a Science curriculum for Kindy...but I also don't want to spend all day on Pinterest, etc...looking for experiments.....I haven't researched science curriculum AT ALL...where do I begin?

Any ideas????

Thanks!

Does your library have the Janice VanCleave books? We checked out Astronomy for Every Kid from our library. The experiments are really easy to do and only take a few minutes. The materials are stuff that we usually have around the house. The only bad thing - the book we checked out is pretty old (published 1991) and we had to skip 2-3 experiments, because you needed a record player. LOL.

It looks like she has an experiment book for:

Biology

Chemistry

Dinosaurs

Earth Science

Geography

Geometry

Human Body

Physics

Not sure if these books are even still sold, but our library seems to have them. These experiments would be doable for a 6 yro (with help).

Edited to say: Maybe I should give you an example of the types of experiments in the book.

Measure ground temperature in the shade versus in the sun

Shine flashlight through glass of water+milk to show why earth appears blue

Recreate Jupiter's red spot with water and open tea bag - LOL

Show how Saturn and its rings move using pencil, pin and construction paper

In other words, these experiments are really easy to do with a younger kid.

Edited by starrbuck12

Real Science Odyssey Life Science. I think this is great for that age! Mostly page long descriptions of a topic and then one or two experiments, like seeing how an egg is a shell, studying what is alive, keeping roly-polys and snails and worms, and lots of stuff I don't remember (I did it with my older and am now restarting with my younger). For a non-reader or writer I thought it was no big deal to record things on the sheet yourself or even just discuss it. Also on their website is a try before you buy with a pdf of a good chunk of the beginning of the book, so you could probably use that for quite a while without having to buy it.

Scan your local used bookstore or Goodwill for science experiment books. I find them almost by the boxload. Then start a box for cardboard tubes, paper cups, balloons, straws and all the various "stuff" the experiments usually require. (and keep lots of vinegar around...:D) At his age, complex explanations aren't really necessary yet--he'll gain so much just in observing and getting a brief explanation. It doesn't have to be hard, complex, or planned out. Open a book, pick an experiment you have the supplies for and do it. Then talk a little, and if your ds likes to draw, have him draw a picture. Done. If you want to get really into it, grab a library book on the topic and read it the next day.

My DS also requested more science experiments, so we are doing Elemental Science:Intro to Science. It uses More Mudpies to Magnets as a spine, so we have lots of experiments to choose from.

I would agree with this :) We are doing the grammar stage programs (Physics and Earth/Space), but if I had a little guy I would do ES Intro. It looks fun, and we love ES. The experiments are so easy, and fun. You could just get the Mudpies to Magnets book, but it is so nice having it planned out for you :)

Real Science Odyssey Life Science. I think this is great for that age! Mostly page long descriptions of a topic and then one or two experiments, like seeing how an egg is a shell, studying what is alive, keeping roly-polys and snails and worms, and lots of stuff I don't remember (I did it with my older and am now restarting with my younger). For a non-reader or writer I thought it was no big deal to record things on the sheet yourself or even just discuss it. Also on their website is a try before you buy with a pdf of a good chunk of the beginning of the book, so you could probably use that for quite a while without having to buy it.

This would be my best suggestion for a real hands-on science for a young kid. What I used for Rebecca isn't available anymore, I don't think, but it was lots of experiments & crafts. She loves that stuff!

Scan your local used bookstore or Goodwill for science experiment books. I find them almost by the boxload. Then start a box for cardboard tubes, paper cups, balloons, straws and all the various "stuff" the experiments usually require. (and keep lots of vinegar around...:D) At his age, complex explanations aren't really necessary yet--he'll gain so much just in observing and getting a brief explanation. It doesn't have to be hard, complex, or planned out. Open a book, pick an experiment you have the supplies for and do it. Then talk a little, and if your ds likes to draw, have him draw a picture. Done. If you want to get really into it, grab a library book on the topic and read it the next day.

THIS!!! I have a huge stash of shoeboxes, egg cartons, plastic containers, jars, balloons, you name it. It's expensive to start accumulating supplies that aren't recyclables, but you end up having this stuff on hand for a few years.

Scan your local used bookstore or Goodwill for science experiment books. I find them almost by the boxload.

Yep, mine too. Including fun ones from the 60s and 70s -- which I thought no one was reading, but lo and behold, my son told me while we were at the beach, he tried one, involving swinging a bucket around to see the water stay in.

Echoing what the others said--your library probably has millions of experiment books.

Cooking can count as an experiment as well. :)

And a funny for you: My daughter was excited about experiments but would not do them unless she first put on her white bath robe. It was her lab coat. A friend's kid was utterly entranced with dd's lab coat, so my friend made her dd a lab coat by cutting off the collar and cuffs of an old men's office shirt and hemming the raw edges.:D

I also have an experiment crazy boy. We had a great time using RSO (real science odyssey) Earth and Space last year. He adored it. To be fair, it wasn't particularly rigorous science, but it was very, very hands on and FUN.

He still talks about last year's science and how much fun it was.

And don't underestimate how much kids like drawing. I read books on our given science topic and then ask my son to draw a picture about what we read. This is in addition to any hands on investigations or crafting. He loves it. We put it in our science binder.

Do you have a children's science museum in driving distance? Most offer homeschool science classes for children as young as 5. Maybe once or twice a month. It's not free but I find it well worth the time. They get to be in a real science lab with materials I do not have at home - like microscopes, lasers, various prisms, various measuring devices, chemicals, etc. Plus they get the experience of being in a class with kids their age for an hour or two each month.

I recommend it. Not that this completely replaces doing science at home, but if you have access to it, it's great!

Usborne books are lots of fun, and they use things usually found around the home.

Yes, there is a set of three that combine various topics in each book, called Science Activities that is very nice. My library has them, and I bought the older version used.

Here is one from the newer series

The Usborne Book of Science Activities, Volume One by Helen Edom, Kate Woodward and Simone Abel

(You can't buy them new from Amazon)

The Usborne books of "things to make and do" are also worth looking at if your library has them.

You have received great ideas so far. Van Cleave's books have tons of experiments.

In addition, you can visit The Happy Scientist and Steve Spangler sites. Plenty of experiments to keep you busy!

Watch Bill Nye or Beakman's World and you've got yourself a great curriculum for a 6 year old. ;)

Mr Q and Bite Size Physics have plenty of simple experiments to which you can add, if you'd like.

Sonlight science - not the whole curriculum - just the dvd, corresponding usborne experiment book, and the materials kits for whichever level you want. My dd loves doing science experiments and I can just keep all this stuff in a box and she's ready to go. Very little prep for me.

My plan was just to use Five in a Row for Science, ug. LOL. He keeps telling everyone that "We do Science experiments at my school!" (we put an egg in vinegar and made a siphon out of a paper towel, LOL). He is so excited about it...I don't want to let him down. He is very motivated to do his handwriting, etc....so we can get to the experiment.

Sigh...I wasn't planning on buying a Science curriculum for Kindy...but I also don't want to spend all day on Pinterest, etc...looking for experiments.....I haven't researched science curriculum AT ALL...where do I begin?

Any ideas????

Thanks!

Have you checked out these resources on Homeschool Share? They line up several different science series with Five in A Row.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/general_resources.php

Sonlight science - not the whole curriculum - just the dvd, corresponding usborne experiment book, and the materials kits for whichever level you want. My dd loves doing science experiments and I can just keep all this stuff in a box and she's ready to go. Very little prep for me.

Sorry to hijack...How do you line up the DVD with the book and make sure you have everything you need beforehand? I have the DVDs and the Usborne books but wouldn't I need to preview the DVD to make sure I've got everything? Or do you find the SL kits to have everything you need? I couldn't order the last kit I needed because it couldn't be shipped to Australia (I think it had potting soil in it). So I have to put together my own.

End hijack. :)

Something that he may enjoy that we do is The Happy Scientist. It's $20 a year, but sometimes Homeschool Buyer's Co-op will run a special for half that price. Robert Krampf is great, and the children really enjoy him. Just a thought.

:iagree: I also recommend checking out the free MsNucleus, a science curriculum with lesson plans already laid out for you. All you'd have to do is add in the experiments.

I have a Delta Education Science In a Nutshell kit on Electromagnetism coming in. The latter is for 3-6 grades. There are kits for second grade too, and kits for younger students. They look high quality and include science notebooks, items for 1-3 students, and materials for 6 uses.

Edited by sagira

Sorry to hijack...How do you line up the DVD with the book and make sure you have everything you need beforehand? I have the DVDs and the Usborne books but wouldn't I need to preview the DVD to make sure I've got everything? Or do you find the SL kits to have everything you need? I couldn't order the last kit I needed because it couldn't be shipped to Australia (I think it had potting soil in it). So I have to put together my own.

End hijack. :)

The kits have the things I don't have laying around the house. But if you can't get the kits, just sit down and go through the book, making a list of items you don't have at home and buy them.

As for how they line up (at least for the earlier levels that use the Usborne Science Activities series), they are all lined up already. The DVD follows the order of the activities in the book.

The kits have the things I don't have laying around the house. But if you can't get the kits, just sit down and go through the book, making a list of items you don't have at home and buy them.

As for how they line up (at least for the earlier levels that use the Usborne Science Activities series), they are all lined up already. The DVD follows the order of the activities in the book.

I didn't know the DVD's went through the book in order. This makes it much easier to find the corresponding experiment in the book without having the whole Science IG. I don't need the whole IG, just want to be able to replicate some of the experiments from the DVD, using the Usborne books. Thank you!

End hijack. :leaving: