Menu

When apology is not accepted?

:iagree: You apologized. How the person handles it is something you can't control. You tried to make it right. Move on.

:iagree: There is nothing else to do, unless you can undo the problem or make restitution or whatever. If it's not that sort of situation and you've offered sincere apologies, then you will have to let it go and move on.

1. Honestly examine the situation. Is the situation one where a simple apology should be sufficient? Or is it something that might cause a deeper undermining of trust

2. Find out their perception of the situation, if you can, and if they haven't already made you aware of it. Maybe there's some aspect that they think is obvious that you're not aware of. Maybe they have something else going on in their lives that makes them sensitive.

3. If it's clear that it's them and not you, let it go.

Let it go. How does the other person deal with anger? Do they stew over things? I stew! I need time and space to get over something. A sincere apology is appreciated and will go a long way in rectifying things, but I need to process through it and get it all out of my system before I truly forgive a person. If this person deals with things the same way, time and space is what they need. You've done all you can reasonably do.

Edited by jujsky

1. Honestly examine the situation. Is the situation one where a simple apology should be sufficient? Or is it something that might cause a deeper undermining of trust

2. Find out their perception of the situation, if you can, and if they haven't already made you aware of it. Maybe there's some aspect that they think is obvious that you're not aware of. Maybe they have something else going on in their lives that makes them sensitive.

:iagree:

We can't know the situation but in some cases, it's just not possible to forgive on demand. I agree with the others. You've apologized and there isn't anything else you can do if this person isn't yet ready to forgive you. It's a sad situation, but you might just need to let it go and give the other person time to come to terms with the problem.

Yup. You cannot force someone to forgive. It may take time for them to work through it.

Depending on what the offense was, a person might actually forgive and still want the relationship dynamic to change or even end. That is a legitimate option depending on circumstances. (Obviously not saying it is here because I don't know details and it's up to the offended to decide that. Letting it go may mean letting the relationship go as well. :( )

You need to move on. When the person is open to having a friendship or working relationship again they will let you know.

Some people take a lot of time to heal and forgive. People can be fragile in ways you never knew about. You have no way of knowing, but whatever you did may have been perceived as bullying to a person who was bullied a lot as a child or it may have opened an old deep wound. You may not have meant to do these things, but the person who experiences this may need a lot of distance to recover.

It could take months or years to be OK. And they may forgive you, but not be able to really work with or be friends with you again beyond a superficial level.

So, if you have asked forgiveness and are truly sorry then it's in the other person's court. Understand for unknown reasons, the other person may not be able to move forward with you. And you need to let it go.

That is tricky.

I had someone make a sincere and heartfelt apology to me, yet I could never see the person the same way again. I am friendly if we meet, but I never make contact on my own. Thinking about what happened still makes my heart beat crazily, and it's been several years. I avoid the person so as not to put myself through the memory.

There isn't anything this person could do to make it right for me. It was far too emotional. It's my issue, and my baggage.

At this point, it's about them, and not you, kwim?

Edited by LibraryLover

You need to move on. When the person is open to having a friendship or working relationship again they will let you know.

Some people take a lot of time to heal and forgive. People can be fragile in ways you never knew about. You have no way of knowing, but whatever you did may have been perceived as bullying to a person who was bullied a lot as a child or it may have opened an old deep wound. You may not have meant to do these things, but the person who experiences this may need a lot of distance to recover.

It could take months or years to be OK. And they may forgive you, but not be able to really work with or be friends with you again beyond a superficial level.

So, if you have asked forgiveness and are truly sorry then it's in the other person's court. Understand for unknown reasons, the other person may not be able to move forward with you. And you need to let it go.

:iagree: Let it go, let her be. Sometimes this is the way things have to be.

There are lots of things that could be happening.

They could have accepted your apology, but are protecting themselves so that it doesn't happen again.

They could need more time.

They could think the offense is unforgivable.

or they could be holding a grudge.

You just don't know. I would make sure the apology fits the offense and then move on.

I also agree with LibraryLover sometimes things cannot be the same.