Menu

Marriages diverging on religion?

Howdy!

I had been asked earlier in a previous thread how things worked out in my fam since I had been a devout Evangelical and became an atheist--and I'd like to hear from some others.

My "short" answer: Hubby and I were missionaries for 7ish years prior to and during our marriage. Met and married as Bible-believing Evangelicals. 13 years into our marriage, still attending church, ministering, raising our children in the church, we both realized we really didn't believe any more (we had already spent 2 years kind of feeling one another out on the finer points before feeling safe enough to "come out" to one another).

So, it worked well for us. We're still "equally yolked" if you think of it that way--atheist to atheist :lol:

I'm so very thankful that we still have our very happy marriage, and I tend to think it would have been extremely painful if one of us had left the faith and the other had remained. It would have been horrible for the believer, I'm certain. It would have been a tremendous strain.

I'm curious, for anyone who wants to share, if you and your mate have taken different religious paths since you've married, how is that working? Is it? If your faiths are essentially mutually exclusive, is that even harder, do you think? I'm just interested in hearing stories, for those who want to unburden.

Well, we are going in the opposite direction. We started out together as atheists. We were baptized together three and a half years ago. Honestly, it's been hard. We have pretty similar broad theological views, but we have very different opinions on what our marriage should look like, which makes things very difficult.

We've had a mixed marriage from the start. One agnostic cradle Catholic, one Tao-minded, and one Heathen. We pretty much all agree that religion isn't something that needs to be divisive, and it's never been an issue.

My husband and I met at an Evangelical type church. We were both quite committed to it together and very active together for many years. I converted to Eastern Orthodox Christianity about 7yrs ago. - taking nearly 6 years to do so (it never happens overnight does it?).

Anyway, my husband has stayed evangelical, although he attended a more traditional, liturgical Lutheran church.

We let the older kids decide where they wanted to go and 5 of them choose to join Eastern Orthodox church (our oldest is a priest's wife now - talk about My Big Fat Greek Wedding coming to life!! - LOL).

I think it works because our basic values haven't changed. We both agreed that the kids had to be in church on Sundays, they needed to learn about God's love, the Bible, and develop spiritual disciplines. It's important to both of us. I've tried to be very careful not to step on my dh's toes when it comes to him teaching the kids spiritual things. For example: He still reads his Bible each night and "talks about Jesus" to our youngest. I try to support what was important to him at his church when I can and he's done the same for me.

One of the harder parts was some of my more conservative Evangelical friends. I think they felt I should submit to my husband's spiritual authority and go to church where he went - no matter what my personal convictions. Well, our marriage just doesn't work that way. My husband would never force his opinion/convictions on me. And I wouldn't do that to him either. But, I think it did put some pressure on my dh and probably made him feel like less than a spiritual leader in the family because of my change.

It's not perfect and it wasn't like we haven't had bumps along the way either. There were a few times when it was difficult - especially in the beginning. We had to kind of make our own road map. I was fortunate to have a good priest who would remind me to be loving and that it was better to stay silent and be a living witness (rather than trying to argue every time we disagreed, KWIM?).

But, things have changed again in the last 6 months. My husband has been coming regularly to church with us. It's been nice. I know he still struggles with some of the beliefs and he really needs to sit down with my priest and hash some of it out... but in his timing. Who knows what will happen in the end.

I jumped out of the other thread back to the General page hoping you or anyone else had started a thread on this. :)

My husband and I are pretty alone in our area because of our beliefs. We are completely and totally alone in our circle of friends and family. Matter of fact, none of them know for certain where we stand now. They know we don't go to church, ever, and that my husband can't resist posting some pretty anti-church and skepticism to religion on Facebook. :) I assume they are probably living an a "better not to know that to know" world.

I'll answer your question real quick and then ask one of my own, if you don't mind. :)

My husband and I really made this trip through disbelief at the same time in most ways. Now that I look back at the journey I'd say it began at least around 1999 or 2000. We were reading the Left Behind books and it lead to a conversation of deciding to find out what we believed about the tribulation and other beliefs without a teacher, preacher, or church telling us. We sort of took individual teachings and examined them; originally with the plan of deciding if we were post-trib, pre-trib or what but discovering more than not we came out with a "none of the above" vote. :)

I'm curious about the original question asked by someone in the other thread. What has been your experiences with friends and family? If I quit trying to hide the fact that I do NOT believe what they believe and told them where we stand it would be equivalent to announcing we had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. It would be the focus of everything all the time. There would truly be much weeping and gnashing of teeth. ;)

I get so tired of nodding along in coversations or being vague or not saying what I really feel on Facebook but I'm just about 100% certain the anguish I would endure if I "came out" would be worse. My husband is really, really getting tired of not being true (of course I don't imagine his Facebook is leaving much room for imagination for any of them).

Anybody else have some brilliant way to handle it I haven't found? I'm thinking moving will be my best bet. ;)

P.S. No exaggeration on the anticipated responses expected.

**additional background explanation: my husband's father was a preacher and my husband played piano full time for Southern Gospel quartets for years. I'm divorced (14 years ago) from a preacher who was from a preacher's family.

We pretty much all agree that religion isn't something that needs to be divisive, and it's never been an issue.

That's pretty much how we have always been, even through our spiritual evolutions. Even now we've split up, he has expressed a desire to be involved with my pagany wheel of the year stuff. I thought that was kind of weird seeing how he's not pagan and we aren't really trying to bring the kids up to be. But hey, spiritual stuff is important to him. I think he's pleased to have some kind of system available to the kids and hasn't one of his own to offer.

Rosie

I was raised Jewish....non-religious parents, but in religious schools, with orthodox friends etc. my family was sort of looked down on because my parents did not keep kosher or the Jewish holidays. I tried to be accepted for years by my orthodox friends....I thought I had to fulfill the law or I would be cut off from Israel and go to hell. By the time I was a teen, I believed I was doomed anyway, so decided to cut loose and rebel big time:tongue_smilie:

I studied religion, Buddhism, Paganism, some Christian denominations, etc

Then, i gave up and I got involved with a pretty bad crowd etc....

Then, I met dh. He was raised by non-religious parents who sent him and his siblings to Catholic schools. He and his sibs were baptized and confirmed Catholic. Dh had walked from the Church at about 15 or 16. His siblings are still practicing Catholics.

I guess, we became secular agnostics? He had his traditions from his family....I had mine from my community.....we sort of meshed them.

Long story short, we both became born again Christians in 1994. We tried lots of churches. We do not fit in at church.

We do not fit in a mold. He is quite conservative in some things. I am more liberal. I don't think any of that matter too much in our relationship with God or with each other. We each have our own relationship with God and respect the others. Just as I believe my kids will have to find their own way. I think this is where dh and I diverge the most. He believes Christ is the only way. I do not.....I believe God will reveal his plan for our lives...each individually, and I can not determine someone else's story.

Edited by Mommyfaithe

I jumped out of the other thread back to the General page hoping you or anyone else had started a thread on this. :)

My husband and I are pretty alone in our area because of our beliefs. We are completely and totally alone in our circle of friends and family. Matter of fact, none of them know for certain where we stand now. They know we don't go to church, ever, and that my husband can't resist posting some pretty anti-church and skepticism to religion on Facebook. :) I assume they are probably living an a "better not to know that to know" world.

I'll answer your question real quick and then ask one of my own, if you don't mind. :)

My husband and I really made this trip through disbelief at the same time in most ways. Now that I look back at the journey I'd say it began at least around 1999 or 2000. We were reading the Left Behind books and it lead to a conversation of deciding to find out what we believed about the tribulation and other beliefs without a teacher, preacher, or church telling us. We sort of took individual teachings and examined them; originally with the plan of deciding if we were post-trib, pre-trib or what but discovering more than not we came out with a "none of the above" vote. :)

I'm curious about the original question asked by someone in the other thread. What has been your experiences with friends and family? If I quit trying to hide the fact that I do NOT believe what they believe and told them where we stand it would be equivalent to announcing we had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. It would be the focus of everything all the time. There would truly be much weeping and gnashing of teeth. ;)

I get so tired of nodding along in coversations or being vague or not saying what I really feel on Facebook but I'm just about 100% certain the anguish I would endure if I "came out" would be worse. My husband is really, really getting tired of not being true (of course I don't imagine his Facebook is leaving much room for imagination for any of them).

Anybody else have some brilliant way to handle it I haven't found? I'm thinking moving will be my best bet. ;)

P.S. No exaggeration on the anticipated responses expected.

**additional background explanation: my husband's father was a preacher and my husband played piano full time for Southern Gospel quartets for years. I'm divorced (14 years ago) from a preacher who was from a preacher's family.

Yup, moving is probably best..;) But seriously, you don't think there's another couple or two who question these things? Perhaps they won't come to the same conclusion, but at least if they've walked that walk and they might be more understanding of different beliefs. I know the friends that I've kept from those days are more this way. They spent time questioning or never really saw things so black and white anyway. Most of them were like "hey, whatever floats your boat." I've even had a few of them come to church with me just to see what I was talking about.

Perhaps you live in a different part of the country where it's not so easy to find diverse theology?

Yup, moving is probably best..;) But seriously, you don't think there's another couple or two who question these things? Perhaps they won't come to the same conclusion, but at least if they've walked that walk and they might be more understanding of different beliefs. I know the friends that I've kept from those days are more this way. They spent time questioning or never really saw things so black and white anyway. Most of them were like "hey, whatever floats your boat." I've even had a few of them come to church with me just to see what I was talking about.

Perhaps you live in a different part of the country where it's not so easy to find diverse theology?

I live in not just the South, but the very-South. ;) Nobody hesitates to ask "Where do you go to church?". Nobody asks "DO you go to church?" LOL One of the first assumptions when someone looks familiar is that I probably know you from church. Really.

However about 6 months ago we did find a group of others like us (about 10 active) on MeetUp and that's been pretty great. It's nice to realize we aren't as alone as I felt we were. I even found an acquaintance from our children's theatre was also like-minded and have developed a pretty great friendship now.

The response I expect from my family would NOT be okay or very pass-the-bean-dip worthy. I expect big, ongoing emotions. When I say I expect it to be very similar to announcing terminal cancer I'm not exaggerating.

I agree that living a lie is not favorable and would usually be unfair to the people around you but I'm saving myself from a torture that right now I consider the annoyance of avoidance worth. Understand?

That's pretty much how we have always been, even through our spiritual evolutions. Even now we've split up, he has expressed a desire to be involved with my pagany wheel of the year stuff. I thought that was kind of weird seeing how he's not pagan and we aren't really trying to bring the kids up to be. But hey, spiritual stuff is important to him. I think he's pleased to have some kind of system available to the kids and hasn't one of his own to offer.

Rosie

Rosie, I didn't realize you and dh had split up.:grouphug:Are you doing OK? :grouphug:

I live in not just the South, but the very-South. ;) Nobody hesitates to ask "Where do you go to church?". Nobody asks "DO you go to church?" LOL One of the first assumptions when someone looks familiar is that I probably know you from church. Really.

I agree that living a lie is not favorable and would usually be unfair to the people around you but I'm saving myself from a torture that right now I consider the annoyance of avoidance worth. Understand?

I may not be deep south, but we are rural Midwest and it's no different. Dh's students are often floored that he does not attend church. It just about doesn't happen here.

To the OP-not well. Not at all. Dh has become more vocally opposed to all religion, whereas I am returning more to my roots after years of confused beliefs and searching.

[deleted Audrey's comments here]

Whew! I can understand that. I hope this is just a passing thing as well. Hang in there, Audrey. I've always enjoyed reading the little bit you share about your path.

Edited by Ipsey

However about 6 months ago we did find a group of others like us (about 10 active) on MeetUp and that's been pretty great. It's nice to realize we aren't as alone as I felt we were. I even found an acquaintance from our children's theatre was also like-minded and have developed a pretty great friendship now.

The response I expect from my family would NOT be okay or very pass-the-bean-dip worthy. I expect big, ongoing emotions. When I say I expect it to be very similar to announcing terminal cancer I'm not exaggerating.

I'm so sorry. But, I do understand. I'm a conflict avoider too. :001_smile:

:grouphug: I have been at that place, but it wasn't at all like I thought it would be once I finally stopped faking the old me. I think they had suspected for a while, and were even a little relieved to know that I was okay, just no longer a Christian.

But whoa... It was terrifying to sit there and finally say it out loud.

More :grouphug:. Hang in there.

We went the other way. I was raised with nothing spiritually, but to some degree culturally Christian(we celebrated Christmas and Easter as secular holidays, Mom took me to church twice a year, and once in a while at Thanksgiving we would say a prayer that my dad attempted to not roll his eyes at...).

DH was raised with more church background than I, as in he attended Sunday school for years while his parents went to breakfast. MIL hates churches and organized religion, so it was kind of weird for him. OTOH, he knew what the Resurrection was before he was a teen and what Easter meant to Christians.

I became a Christian and DH was really uncomfortable. He sometimes came to church with me, but didn't like Evangelical, Nazarene, or non denom services. Also he didn't believe much of what was being taught.

At some point he started believing some things and I started leaning towards Eastern Orthodoxy. He comes to church with me when we can go because he appreciates the Liturgical services and we have an excellent priest. I think he'd be happiest at a really liberal Episcopalian church or better yet, a UU church with a formal liturgy-if such a thing existed.

As it is, he's ceded the children's religious education to me, because it's more important to me. As I am now stuck in a questioning and doubt rut, we're kind of standing still.

Honestly it caused more of a rift in my family than in my marriage. There were one or two issues that DH and I are still working on, but our relationship is pretty strong.

Same here.

I'm so sorry. But, I do understand. I'm a conflict avoider too. :001_smile:

Me too.

I can imagine it would be hard not to be able to be honest. Can you say: "I am exploring and learning about some issues that have always puzzled me," or something to the effect that you are seeking answers to your personal questions.

Sometimes, if people cannot accept someone else where they are, it may be better to gracefully bow out of the conversation.

They are 3. ;)

Uhmmm, can someone explain this? Open marriage/partnership?

Still confused. Probably because of the religion bit. I've never heard of a plural marriage not tied to religious beliefs.

Same here.

:iagree: Interesting, though, to know that isn't the case. Man, I swear I learn about something new here every day!!

This is true for me as well! ;)

Howdy!

I had been asked earlier in a previous thread how things worked out in my fam since I had been a devout Evangelical and became an atheist--and I'd like to hear from some others.

My "short" answer: Hubby and I were missionaries for 7ish years prior to and during our marriage. Met and married as Bible-believing Evangelicals. 13 years into our marriage, still attending church, ministering, raising our children in the church, we both realized we really didn't believe any more (we had already spent 2 years kind of feeling one another out on the finer points before feeling safe enough to "come out" to one another).

So, it worked well for us. We're still "equally yolked" if you think of it that way--atheist to atheist :lol:

I'm so very thankful that we still have our very happy marriage, and I tend to think it would have been extremely painful if one of us had left the faith and the other had remained. It would have been horrible for the believer, I'm certain. It would have been a tremendous strain.

I'm curious, for anyone who wants to share, if you and your mate have taken different religious paths since you've married, how is that working? Is it? If your faiths are essentially mutually exclusive, is that even harder, do you think? I'm just interested in hearing stories, for those who want to unburden.

:seeya: Ours is similar, Ipsey. We went to an evangelical missionary church for more than a decade, went on mission trips, etc. About two years ago, we left our church and it forced us to talk about what we truly believed. We grew together and still have a wonderful marriage; it's actually better, happier. :D

I completely understand! Some of my relatives have basically told me I'm not a part of their family anymore. I did a cut and paste, since I'm on my phone, from another thread that explains what happened to me... :grouphug::grouphug:

It's hard to stand up to family and friends over something that is potentially devisive. We left our evangelical church a few years ago for so many reasons, intolerance being the biggest. When we left, we had to face ourselves and talk about our faith and values, what was important, and if we wanted to go back to a church at all. We are going to a wonderful Unitarian church where most people are some form of agnostic, though very spiritual in their paths. I've grown so much in the past two years, and had to share with all of my friends.

Most of my Christian friends no longer associate with me because they don't want their kids around us, we can no longer belong to the local homeschool group which we were a part of for two years, and our circle has narrowed considerably.

I have never been so peaceful or content with our life, even with all the negatives. If a stranger says something about faith during field trips, or such, we don't say anything, unless it's invasive. I live in an extremely conservative part of Texas, so we are truly the odd people out. My immediate family is great, we just agree to disagree and don't talk about it. My mom does come to our women's group now. Some of our extended family think we are going to h*ll, but that's their issue not mine.

Rosie

:grouphug::grouphug: I didn't realize this either. That sucks, Rosie. I'm so sorry.

Rosie, I didn't realize you and dh had split up.:grouphug:Are you doing OK? :grouphug:

Yeah, well. It's not very interesting to talk about. But I am more than ok now. :) I suppose we'll have to get adversarial over custody at some point, but that won't be for a while.

Rosie

Rosie

I didn't know either! :grouphug:

Yeah, well. It's not very interesting to talk about. But I am more than ok now. :) I suppose we'll have to get adversarial over custody at some point, but that won't be for a while.

Rosie

Ack. Custody stuff sucks; have been watching my sis try to keep her dd away from drugging and drinking daddy with little success.

I had wondered what was holding your relationship together, as you seemed to have little in common. Glad you are happy with the outcome. :grouphug:

I had wondered what was holding your relationship together, as you seemed to have little in common. Glad you are happy with the outcome. :grouphug:

Mutual affection and we did have things in common, we just didn't have the money to indulge in them! You Americans can throw tomatoes, but I say "Yay for the Nanny state!" :hurray: :tongue_smilie:

But enough about that. I thank everyone for their concern, but religion is more interesting. :)

Rosie

When DH and I married, he was an atheist and I was just a 'have no clue and have no interest' kind of person. After I started homeschooling and met some nice church ladies, I visited the church and loved it. My youngest dd went with me each Sunday and my other two went rarely. I couldn't make them go because of DH's view. But going alone was hard because people would find out my DH was not religious and they wanted to go talk with him. They never did though because I told them it would put a strain on my marriage. But once people found out, they sort of changed how they interacted with me. I was the wife of an unchurched husband. I wasn't worthy of a relationship. So when we moved, I stopped going altogether. And because I don't go to church, my faith has dwindled. The only way I can describe my faith now is to call it a conversation between me and God. I speak like Margaret in Judy Blume's book, only I say "Are you there God? It's me, Beth"

I really miss going to church but it sucked to be in a huge place and sitting by myself.

When DH and I married, he was an atheist and I was just a 'have no clue and have no interest' kind of person. After I started homeschooling and met some nice church ladies, I visited the church and loved it. My youngest dd went with me each Sunday and my other two went rarely. I couldn't make them go because of DH's view. But going alone was hard because people would find out my DH was not religious and they wanted to go talk with him. They never did though because I told them it would put a strain on my marriage. But once people found out, they sort of changed how they interacted with me. I was the wife of an unchurched husband. I wasn't worthy of a relationship. So when we moved, I stopped going altogether. And because I don't go to church, my faith has dwindled. The only way I can describe my faith now is to call it a conversation between me and God. I speak like Margaret in Judy Blume's book, only I say "Are you there God? It's me, Beth"

I really miss going to church but it sucked to be in a huge place and sitting by myself.

Oh boy, do I understand that. :grouphug::grouphug:

FWIW, I've found a few churches that don't get into that. It may be the church or it may be regional, I don't know. But I never had that type of conversation or lack of fellowship within the Catholic or Orthodox churches I attended.

I currently have no vehicle to get to church on Sunday and it's very hard to maintain my faith mostly alone. I try, but there's not much to hang onto...I guess.

Anyway, :grouphug::grouphug: Sorry you had to put up with that from people

There are a lot of Christians who make it very hard to BE a Christian...

Mutual affection and we did have things in common, we just didn't have the money to indulge in them! You Americans can throw tomatoes, but I say "Yay for the Nanny state!" :hurray: :tongue_smilie:

But enough about that. I thank everyone for their concern, but religion is more interesting. :)

Rosie

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: