Menu

Would you leave your house when there are contractors working inside?

On Thursday we're having a painter and a wallpaper guy come in to start a project that will last about three days. I need to go to an appointment Thursday morning. (I can cancel if I really need to, but I don't want to cancel.) Should I go off and leave them at home working while I'm gone?

The painting/wallpaper company is reputable and established in our community. They have certainly had bigger, more important jobs than my house. There will be two guys working. I'm not planning to leave valuable items lying around.

What do you think? Would you leave contractors in your house while you're away?

It depends on the crew and the length of the job and what they are doing. We had painters in our house for three full weeks, ten hours per day. I was cooped up in the basement with a preschooler and an infant. The house was filled with drywall dust. The bathrooms were often inaccessible. The furniture was all in the middle of the rooms covered with dropcloths. We had to get out. Of course, one of the times I left, the police showed up with a complaint about the trailer being in our driveway longer than is allowed, and asking to see a work permit (which is not required for drywall and painting). The owner of the painting business handled it all very nicely. I won't leave unless I really have to and probably not for a short job.

You know what, I think I may do it....One of the guys is the owner of the company, plus they're both going to be working in the front hallway the entire time. They just won't have lots of chances to get into mischief, you know? And I'll be back within an hour or so.

The painting company owner does a lot of work (going back years) for property Donald Trump owns in this area. He has met him on several occasions. I think my house will be very small potatoes compared to a Trump property.

You know what, I think I may do it....One of the guys is the owner of the company, plus they're both going to be working in the front hallway the entire time. They just won't have lots of chances to get into mischief, you know? And I'll be back within an hour or so.

The painting company owner does a lot of work (going back years) for property Donald Trump owns in this area. He has met him on several occasions. I think my house will be very small potatoes compared to a Trump property.

If the owner is there, and it's a well-known, reputable company and you won't be out long, I think it should be fine. If it was just some contractor I found in the yellow pages or a company that just has a crew but not the owner there, no. But a small business with the owner involved in all the work has a reputation to uphold, and it sounds like a good one. They are in people's houses every time they take a job. The owner of the painting company we used was a very nice family man with five kids. They do not advertise because their schedule is booked months in advance just by word of mouth - very solid reputation. I think you can judge the situation and sometimes its okay.

You might want to double check with the company to make sure they are fine with it. I know around here, some companies require that there be someone home during the renovation if it is an indoor job.

You might want to double check with the company to make sure they are fine with it. I know around here, some companies require that there be someone home during the renovation if it is an indoor job.

I would call them up and see if they are okay with it, too.

On Thursday we're having a painter and a wallpaper guy come in to start a project that will last about three days. I need to go to an appointment Thursday morning. (I can cancel if I really need to, but I don't want to cancel.) Should I go off and leave them at home working while I'm gone?

The painting/wallpaper company is reputable and established in our community. They have certainly had bigger, more important jobs than my house. There will be two guys working. I'm not planning to leave valuable items lying around.

Are you sure your allowed? I know that around here unless they are actually building your house they aren't allowed to be alone in the dwelling due to insurance.

Yes, we had some major work done last year and spent as much time away as was possible. It was loud and dusty and blocked off a large section of our living space.

I don't share the concern of the others, especially if you just need to be away for an hour or so for an appointment.

Pegasus

I would/have. I take the perspective that if both DH and I were working and we were remodeling, there would be no way for someone to be at the house the entire time, so I put up the valuables, make sure the contractor knows what's going on, and do my own stuff.

No I probably wouldn't. I don't have too many things that are worth a lot of money, but what I do have is easy to walk off with and I can't afford to replace, or has a lot of sentimental value.

Plus... not that my stuff is all that interesting, but I'm really creeped out by the thought of someone going through my stuff. :001_huh: I should probably be seeing someone for my paranoia, but hey. Life is fun this way! :lol:

My neighbor left her house while contractors were working and all her jewelry was stolen. Because there were several workers in the house during this period of time, she cannot pin it down to one person and the police have been unable to recovery her valuables. Not to be a debby-downer or anything but I wouldn't do it...too easy for someone to sneak something in their pocket that you won't think to look for until months later.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

I've lived long enough to know what a horrible idea this is. Every single time.

Cancel, reschedule, and keep an eye on them absolutely. Keep the kids door shut and no, you can't use the bathroom, it's being treated for contagion, sorry....

I don't know if your company hires long term folks or what - but oftentimes, the only help that some hire are pretty umm...you know...transient.

If you get any sense of you don't like the looks of them, don't let em in.

Absolutely not. My aunt was having carpet installed in one room and noticed one of the workers in her bedroom WITH a piece of her jewelry! She asked him what he was doing and he said he had found it and was putting it back. Mind you, he had NO business being in her bedroom at all. She quietly called the police and when they arrived she was able to go through her jewelry chest and noticed a number of pieces missing. The police found most of it stashed all around the property, most of it outside. One was under a bush outside, another under a tree, there was one in a bathroom under a towel. The police said this was common, and the plan was to stash it outside and come back for it that night. All three workers were arrested on the spot.

I would never leave a worker in my home unattended unless they were family or a close friend. They need to be watched and they need to know they are being watched.

I did, once, and something shocking happened: I married the guy. :)

No I don't unless it is a solo worker I trust. The "help" usually turns out to be the thief, not the person with the reputation and bond.

Also, check your windows to see if one got unlocked while they were working: they'll have a friend stop by later.

I have in the past. We had major indoor painting and cabinet refinishing done earlier this year and there was just no way we could stay in the home while they were working. . . we would have been cooped up in a bedroom for days. They actually told us to leave when they were refinishing the cabinets--the dust and fumes were horrible even after they cleaned up and left.

I was using painting contractors that I'd hired before and been very happy with, plus they work completely by word-of-mouth (the person who referred them had also hired them more than once). I don't have any super expensive jewelry other than my wedding ring, but I did pack up my very expensive camera equipment and take it with me.

Most of the time, though, I try to be home when we are having work done. I do let my cleaning lady work here when we are gone, but she's been with us for well over a year, we've never had a single problem with her, and again, she works completely by word-of-mouth.

Absolutely not. No. Never. My grandparents were robbed blind by workmen over the years. They were an old farm family and stuff like my dad's Lionel train set was stolen from their attic. Even if there was no thievery at the actual time, there is time to case the joint and time for someone weird to go through your things. So no, I wouldn't.

I leave my contractor alone a lot, but I'm married to him. ;)

It is not unusual for a contractor to be alone working in a house, especially if the owner is doing the work. That's why it's important to know who will be doing the work and ask friend and family for referrals.

The only reason my dh wouldn't do an inside job is if a teenager, dd mostly, will be home alone. That is for his own protection, to avoid getting accused of anything.

Many contractors are just hard working guys who are trying to provide for their families. It is wise to use common sense and put away valuables. We cleaned houses for a while, I was surprised at what some people will leave out, one family had a stack of credit cards on the dresser and tons of change.

Also know WHO will be doing the work, ask for referrals, and call them. If someone gives off a creepy vibe, don't hire them.

Yes, I would leave.