Menu

So, my son asked if I could stop homeschooling him

He asked me this when I picked him up from his summer camp today. He's attending a camp at the most prestigious private school in our area.

I braced myself thinking he had such a great time that he now wanted to attend school.

It seems most of the class picked on him for either being homeschooled or liking Minecraft. He now wants to throw his Minecraft shirt away -- the one he got for his birthday.

I said all the right things to him, but it still makes me sad.

Wow. I imagined the same thing you did when I read your thread title and first couple of sentences. :grouphug: It is sad. It is so hard when they don't have perspective, to see the big picture like you do. It would make me go Mama Bear big time to see him wanting to get rid of that shirt and change to please other kids. :( :grouphug: again.

:grouphug: My 12 year old ds has lots of homeschool, ps, and private school friends. Everyone of the the guys loves minecraft. Tell him that those people are strange!

My ds is also in an activity where he is the only homeschooler and at first he wanted to go to the "awesome private school.". Now he thinks that some of them are just jerks, though he has made good friends with several. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. There is no easy answer.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry your son had to deal with that and that you are sad. I've been very lucky in that everything my kids go to just makes them appreciate homeschooling more. My oldest was in PS out in VA Bch for part of 1st grade and that's what made him ask me to homeschool him. That half a year has turned him off of PS for good I'm afraid. My other two have never been to PS (other than speech therapy for my dd) but just like being home too much to want to go.

He asked me this when I picked him up from his summer camp today. He's attending a camp at the most prestigious private school in our area.

I braced myself thinking he had such a great time that he now wanted to attend school.

It seems most of the class picked on him for either being homeschooled or liking Minecraft. He now wants to throw his Minecraft shirt away -- the one he got for his birthday.

If Minecraft isn't cool then why are so many grown men playing? (Okay, maybe because they're dorks/geeks like dh but still.)

And why does getting picked on make him want to join them?

:grouphug:s for your son, and sorry he had a stinky experience.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry to hear that. So far the kids haven't heard anything negative about homeschooling. Usually other kids think they are lucky. But I am worried about when they get older.

I hope your son recovers well and things go back to normal. A lot of school kids around here like Minecraft (as well as homeschoolers!).

:grouphug: to you and to your ds!

My guess, because I've seen it firsthand? So he won't be different anymore...so he will fit in. Where kids lack perspective though is that there is always something, some reason some kids will pick on you. :glare:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Don't you just want to smack the little brats? I do, when they do stuff like that.

Oh, and my kid is a latecomer to Minecraft but he and some friends set up a server and he loves it. But then he always loved building things and patterns and stuff like that. Why can't he still enjoy it now? NO REASON, I tell him.

Yeah, that is curious.

My kid, now 13, just said stuff like, "Yeah, it's tough to sleep in until 9 am after a busy hockey weekend while you are at the bus stop at 6:30."

That, AND the fact that he is the tallest, strongest kid on the team finally shut them up.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks, all. I know, it is odd about the Minecraft thing. It is in no way strictly a homeschool thing. I know all kinds of people who play. My son plays with and Skypes with people all over the world as well -- Saudi Arabia (this kid is visiting Mexico right now) and Australia.

I went to PS and was picked on for having red hair, for having pale skin, and for getting good grades.

Nathan is my kid who wouldn't blink at being teased, but Ben is so much more sensitive. Ben didn't get teased at all in the camp class last week.

:grouphug: to your ds. It is hard to get picked on for being different. DS13 told me kids sometimes tease him for being homeschooled but that he feels bad for them because they can never like what they like, they can only like what other kids say is cool. He is happy he can like things just cause he does. (along with his videogames and roblox play he like webkinz, bellasara, and little pet shops- not things a teenaged boy is "allowed" to like in ps)

Let your ds know that while it sucks to be teased, I would rather he shine with who he is than be just another bratty clone.

At 11 my son was playing Minecraft even before it was released as a beta.

I'm so sorry, Dawn, that is just awful. I would try to equip him with one line comebacks like Tranquil Mind suggestion. Not to be antagonistic, but to help him ward off those comments sinking in.

:( Poor kid.

On a that note, I am so happy to see my DD wearing her The Wiggles concert t-shirts again now that she is not in PS. She "made the mistake" of wearing one to school one day, and was informed that they "were for babies". She loved The Wiggles soooo much when she was younger that she had begun to speak some words with an Australian accent. :D

Aw, poor guy! I feel mama bear on his behalf! I have a son who is about to be twelve, and he loves Minecraft. So does his 14yo stepbrother, who goes to a private school. So do his 12yo and 10yo best friends, who are homeschooled. I wish we could tuck your boy in to our cozy group of homeschooled Minecraft-loving kids here.

This article, though there's bad language in the title, gives some insight into why Minecraft might not be considered cool by kids who spend all day every day absorbing hype. I have never heard anyone say it isn't cool though. It's a hugely popular game.

I'm surprised about the Minecraft comments. That's all I hear kids talk about (homeschooled or public schooled).

:iagree: With some groups of kids, it probably doesn't matter what you do. They'll still find something to pick on. :grouphug: Sorry you're son had a hard time at camp.

My 11 year old loves mine craft and wears a creeper shirt on a regular basis. :001_smile:

I can see why you are upset. It is such a difficult age and the push to conformity can be so damaging.

Do you feel like he has a good in real life network of geeky friends? I'm wondering if he's involved in something like lego league, etc. if he might get better feedback and gain more acceptance.

I suspect these boys would have made fun of whatever shirt he had on just because it's what they do. When my nephew was 11 or 12, some kids at his school said his t-shirt (I think it was a graphic tee that had Reseese peanut butter cups on it) was g*y so he never wore it again, even though he liked it.

It's just so ridiculous.

Dawn,

Did you talk to him about how he could answer questions about homeschooling? It used to annoy me when I overheard my ds answer questions about homeschooling. The conversations would basically sound like this:

Kid: "Where do you go to school?"

DS: "I don't go to school. I'm homeschooled."

Kid: "That must suck."

DS: "Naw it's cool. I get to do whatever I want."

Kid: "Seriously? That's cool."

It took me some time to figure it out. It was his way of passing the bean dip. He didn't want to talk about it and didn't want to answer questions and stepped up a couple of notches socially instead of down.

My dd is working at the zoo this year with 90 middle school kids from across the county. There are only two homeschoolers. She was uncomfortable talking to the other kids becuase they always asked about school, and most kids don't really know any homeschoolers. Her conversations were coming to uncomfortable halts at this point. She and I talked about different ways she could answer the question and what kind of reactions kids might have based on those answers. She settled on a variation of her brother's answer. She now asserts that it is cool as part of the conversation.

I'm sorry your son was hurt. Kids can be jerks.

Dawn,

Did you talk to him about how he could answer questions about homeschooling? It used to annoy me when I overheard my ds answer questions about homeschooling. The conversations would basically sound like this:

Kid: "Where do you go to school?"

DS: "I don't go to school. I'm homeschooled."

Kid: "That must suck."

DS: "Naw it's cool. I get to do whatever I want."

Kid: "Seriously? That's cool."

It took me some time to figure it out. It was his way of passing the bean dip. He didn't want to talk about it and didn't want to answer questions and stepped up a couple of notches socially instead of down.

My dd is working at the zoo this year with 90 middle school kids from across the county. There are only two homeschoolers. She was uncomfortable talking to the other kids becuase they always asked about school, and most kids don't really know any homeschoolers. Her conversations were coming to uncomfortable halts at this point. She and I talked about different ways she could answer the question and what kind of reactions kids might have based on those answers. She settled on a variation of her brother's answer. She now asserts that it is cool as part of the conversation.

I'm sorry your son was hurt. Kids can be jerks.

I have heard my kids have similar discussions. DD just says she hangs out in her room a lot (yeah with her school books lol) and DS says he plays video games all day. Both are not true statements but makes the kids around them think homeschooling is cool. Those that get to know the kids learn that what they first said is not the full truth, and those that come to our hosue usually end up scanning the buckets of math manips, science kits and our books commenting how lucky the kids are to have all this stuff at home. The best reactions always come when we have our bug collection out and mounted on the wall.

But initially to new kids asking or commenting they totally skate over the issue. I think many of us could take pass the bean dip lessons from our kids.

:grouphug:

I would be heartbroken too if my son came home and said those things. Just keep saying the right things, giving hugs, and remember that you're the mama and even if he doesn't see the benefit of homeschooling right now, you do. And you are going to do what's right for him despite his doubts.

And minecraft?! Sheesh, my boys (8 & 9) are LOVING minecraft. They would think his shirt was super cool. They'd probably be so excited to see a kid with the T shirt on they'd want to go talk to him. :lol: Have you told him that a lot of kids love minecraft?

One other suggestion (maybe someone else said this; I didn't read the whole thread): Is he involved in a homeschool group at all? I would think being involved in a group of homeschoolers where homeschooling is the norm, his interests are not looked down upon, and he just naturally will fit in better, might build his confidence and give him a feeling of acceptance so that he won't care so much what the critical kids think.

(And this is probably a Duh... but I would probably avoid sending him to a camp like that in the future. At least until he's so confident in himself and his family's choices that this stuff will roll off his back, which may be never, depending on his personality.)

My guess is that Minecraft isn't really the issue ( hey, I have two almost 11yo homeschooled all their lives sons and I don't have a clue what Minecraft is and, dare I say, neither do they:tongue_smilie:), the issue is that he is "different" from them. Not different, per say, just not identical to them. I have seen this over and over again in both public and sadly, Christian schools. It's the group mindset, everyone must be, look, act, talk and like the same things or they are singled out. It's one of the reasons I'm so glad that we homeschool.

I'm sorry, Dawn. My mother's heart hurts for yours.:grouphug:

Guest submarines

:grouphug: DD is being picked on too, and it overwhelming for me--so sad. She's such a sensitive and thoughful kid.

We did read book on bullying with her, and it seemed to help more than just talking. I think it helped her to realise that it is a widespread issue, and empowered her to be assertive with them. One of the books we read had a list of responses, and DD chose the one's that she liked and has been using them. It helped, as she feels more prepared.

She was being picked on for being homeschooled, for not having a cell phone, for being more safety oriented than the others. It is tough. Kids can be so mean.

Thank you every single one for chiming in with great thoughts and suggestions.

I picked him up today, and he had had a blast! He met a boy who likes Minecraft, shared the site he plays on, and now they are Skyping. He also won the chair pose contest where he had to press his back up against the wall with his legs and thighs at 90 degree angles.

PS -- He wore a gray striped shirt today. :lol:

I read Dr. Seuss' Sneetches book to the boys a while back in response to a teen suicide resulting from bullying. Perhaps I need to remind him of that as well.

I also explained to him that he is sensitive and takes a child's curiosity (even if spoken in a negative light) about homeschooling as picking.