Menu

MIL sent another one of her pkgs.

As usual, consists of pages cut out of magazines, old calendar pages, etc.

And a CD titled, "Everybody Needs Good Manners!" :001_huh:

The note accompanying it states that she got the cd for free, and we can always use reminders when it comes to manners.

This ranks up there w/her sending Tazzie a dvd when he was 3? 4? w/The Demoniac Boy on it...rated 12+...after she'd just spent her visit complaining about Tazzie's behaviour the entire time. (He wouldn't sit still and listen to story after story after story for her).

*headdesk*

The note accompanying it states that she got the cd for free, and we can always use reminders when it comes to manners.

This ranks up there w/her sending Tazzie a dvd when he was 3? 4? w/The Demoniac Boy on it...rated 12+...after she'd just spent her visit complaining about Tazzie's behaviour the entire time. (He wouldn't sit still and listen to story after story after story for her).

*headdesk*

wow

That's all I can come up with. There are just no words. :huh:

How on earth did she manage to raise any kids.

Frankly, she pretty much didn't raise Wolf. He took over a LOT of things from a young age, incl watching flyers for when he needed clothes from the time he was about 7. They co-existed in the same house...unless there was an audience, and then she was all fawning and attentive.

He started running away at 7 yo, and she wouldn't notice he was missing until a friend's mom called to let her know he'd been there for hrs. :001_huh::glare:

Frankly, she pretty much didn't raise Wolf. He took over a LOT of things from a young age, incl watching flyers for when he needed clothes from the time he was about 7. They co-existed in the same house...unless there was an audience, and then she was all fawning and attentive.

He started running away at 7 yo, and she wouldn't notice he was missing until a friend's mom called to let her know he'd been there for hrs. :001_huh::glare:

People like that make me a little angry. I have to resist the urge to reach out and smack em. And I would probably be trying to scoop the boy up and bring him home with me. It makes more sense why she is such a strange MIL

This sounds oddly similar to the weekly envelopes we get from my MIL. Ours usually include newspaper clippings about horrific ways children have died, with handwritten warnings to "take heed" or "watch out for this!" Do you get those ones too?

People like that make me a little angry. I have to resist the urge to reach out and smack em. And I would probably be trying to scoop the boy up and bring him home with me. It makes more sense why she is such a strange MIL

MIL fits NPD like a glove. Explains why she is how she is. *sigh*

Oh, forgot to mention, she decided to assign Diva a research project as well. :001_huh:

Seriously. Sent a pic of a crane, and a list of questions for Diva to research and answer for her, the next time she calls.

Uh...no. Just b/c you were a teacher doesnt mean you get to assign my children school work. No no no no no.

This sounds oddly similar to the weekly envelopes we get from my MIL. Ours usually include newspaper clippings about horrific ways children have died, with handwritten warnings to "take heed" or "watch out for this!" Do you get those ones too?

Nope. She glories in sharing stuff like that on the phone. Seriously. Excited, happy, eager tone of voice.

Extremely creepy/disturbing.

I didn't know that other mils mailed garbage lol It's been awhile since we received the last package so I can't remember all the weird items in there. Two that I do recall: a book light and a purple hat. She's now started sending letters that make no sense. I'm pretty sure she is NPD, also.

You know, I think you should send her a little thank you package with similarly crazy contents. I have last year's calendar if you need one, and a turkey baster I'll never use:001_huh:.

*headdesk*

I used to get this in my email all the time from my mom. She doesn't waste postage on mailing me stuff, but frequently would have a box or bag at my door with crazy stuff in it. Thankfully I've managed to alienate her so she doesn't come around anymore.

Here's the thing about the calendar pics:

They're mouth painted.

I gave them to the Littles, so I can't find what she wrote on the back to give a direct quote, but the basics were:

She bought it cause it made her think of me.

That I should be counting my blessings that I've only lost use of my arm.

That if they can do such wonderful things w/just their mouths, surely my life can't be that challenging.

:glare:

You know, I think you should send her a little thank you package with similarly crazy contents. I have last year's calendar if you need one, and a turkey baster I'll never use:001_huh:.

Imp, send her a package back. Just to mess with her head! LOL So far, you have donations of a outdated calendar, turkey baster, and I've got an old dairy barn milker and half a dozen broken shoe laces. What else could we put in there?

I think she's hilarious.

Whenever I have to deal with people like that (and lots of other types), I think about how funny that's going to be in my sitcom that I'm gonna write. There are some people who could be a hilarious scene in every weekly episode for years.

Most utterly ridiculous things are funny from the outside. So be an outsider looking in and laugh your butt off.

Imp, send her a package back. Just to mess with her head! LOL So far, you have donations of a outdated calendar, turkey baster, and I've got an old dairy barn milker and half a dozen broken shoe laces. What else could we put in there?

Let's send her a HIVE package. After all, it's important that we tell her how much we appreciate the love and support she has been to our dear friend over these many, many years.

I shall contribute the following:

Used tea bags - she can get at least one more cup out of each one

A bed pan

A pair of men's xxl boxer briefs and instructions on how to make hankies out of them

Halloween stickers

Press on nails

Expired grocery coupons

:D:biggrinjester::smilielol5:

This could be one FUN package!!

Faith

My biological mother sends me packages like this occasionally. Old books that belonged to my father, tax papers from the 70s, old coin purses, magazine cutouts like you got. Once she send an old eyeglass case with my father's name on it, it had to have been 40 years old. She'll take pictures and tape and glue them to paper for no discernible reason (many who I have on idea who the people even are!).

:lol:Sn:lol:rtt!

Let's send her a HIVE package. After all, it's important that we tell her how much we appreciate the love and support she has been to our dear friend over these many, many years.

I shall contribute the following:

Used tea bags - she can get at least one more cup out of each one

A bed pan

A pair of men's xxl boxer briefs and instructions on how to make hankies out of them

Halloween stickers

Press on nails

Expired grocery coupons

:D:biggrinjester::smilielol5:

This could be one FUN package!!

Faith

I think she's hilarious.

Whenever I have to deal with people like that (and lots of other types), I think about how funny that's going to be in my sitcom that I'm gonna write. There are some people who could be a hilarious scene in every weekly episode for years.

Most utterly ridiculous things are funny from the outside. So be an outsider looking in and laugh your butt off.

I hear you.

Honestly, I'm just so freakin exhausted by all the crazy right now.

Btwn cutting off contact w/my mother, her incessant calling, and now this...I've kinda just lost my sense of humour about it all. I'm so, so, so tired.

And, I'll be honest, RSD is spiraling up cause I'm stressed and exhausted...just not in 'prime' condition to deal w/things.

Sorry for the whine.

Oh dear. At least they are just useless/confusing and not embarassing? This past Christmas my mother in law gave her daughter a plastic replica of male genitals on a keychain. I think it was a laser pointer, I know it was weird. She gave ME a set of lingerie. Aside from the fact that I don't think I could get in any mood wearing undies and a nightie that my mother in law gave me, they were a large and I wear a 0-2....

Her gifts tend to be the line crossing kind. I think I'd rather have random junk from around the house. Especially when I have to open it in front of my husband's male relatives. :tongue_smilie:

Now, if you *really* want to mess with her mind... send her next package back to her, unopened. Kudos points if you can get the post office to stamp some official looking "return to sender" bit on it :D

Bar that, just chuck them in the trash. "Package? What package? You know the post system is so unreliable..."

*headdesk*

LOL. You are the winner!

ETA: Now I read Ghee's contribution about the male genitalia on a keychain as a gift to her KID. Hmmm. Jury is out on who wins the prize on this one.

Though I had a SIL in law give me a toilet seat once. We laughed about that one for years.

Just file it away under idiosyncrasies.

Edited by TranquilMind

Ghee: Oh dear. At least they are just useless/confusing and not embarassing? This past Christmas my mother in law gave her daughter a plastic replica of male genitals on a keychain.

:lol: Are you SERIOUS? Oh, I'd never let her forget that one.

I think it was a laser pointer, I know it was weird. She gave ME a set of lingerie. Aside from the fact that I don't think I could get in any mood wearing undies and a nightie that my mother in law gave me, they were a large and I wear a 0-2....

Ha ha ha. Yep, mood killer!

Now, if you *really* want to mess with her mind... send her next package back to her, unopened. Kudos points if you can get the post office to stamp some official looking "return to sender" bit on it :D

Bar that, just chuck them in the trash. "Package? What package? You know the post system is so unreliable..."

Problem is, Diva is the one that picks up the mail, so *everyone* knows when a pkg arrives.

Oh, I have stories from BOTH sides.....

My contributions to the HIVE pkg:

Love Language book sent by MIL for my Bday with her note inside saying it would show me how to love like she does (so that page is ripped out)

The women's seminar cassettes sent to dh (from HIS mom) for his Bday

A very pale pink sweater set w/missing pearls bought on clearance from MIL (and I am fair, so I would look dead in it, but somehow that was my fault)

The prissy boy clothes sent to my son were sent back, luckily HE complained so I got off on that one.

My mom isn't that bad, but she can't throw anything away. She sends me her junk stacks, or saves them and brings them when she visits. Some of it is to just show me something that she thinks I'm interested in, so that is ok, but old calendars (what's with the calendars?) and that sort of thing, ???

And...adding..... I almost forgot:

How to Raise Sons cassettes

Edited by Susan C.

hahahaha, Susan!

You reminded me...

When Tazzie was 2, MIL was visiting.

Now, in all seriousness, Tazzie was the MOST compliant 2 yo I've ever known. The child would put HIMSELF on a time out, seriously! I'd turn around, he'd be gone...go upstairs and find him laying on his bed..."I was getting upset." :001_huh: Other times, I'd see him starting to lose his cool, and ask, "Tazzie, honey, do you need some quiet time?" He'd nod, and up the stairs he'd go to his room. He'd come down in a bit, announce he felt better, and away we went. Seriously, the kid was a dream at 2. Now 3 on the other hand...:lol:

Anyways.

MIL complained over and over that he needed to learn to behave. :001_huh: Basically, he didn't want to sit and pay her rapt attention at all times. He actually wanted to play w/his toys. He wouldn't pose constantly for her pic taking. You know...he acted like a NORMAL toddler!

Next time she came for dinner, she brought a STACK of parenting articles she'd printed off the net. I'm talking, 20 pgs +. "I thought these would be useful!" she says, smirking, as she hands them to me.

I took them, handed them right to Wolf, and said, "Your mom thinks you'd find these helpful." MIL was caught off guard, spluttering, "But, but, but..." she knew better than to finish that one ;):D