Menu

The Latest Layer of the Onion

No, not "The Onion". I'm talking about the onion that is my multi-faceted chronic health problems. I posted yesterday that I had a very good day physically even though it was mixed with some heart rate issues. I'm having another good day today and I'm pretty sure I know why.

As I've been droning on and on about lately, I'm taking magnesium. I had many hallmarks of a magnesium deficiency - achy muscles, fatigue, trouble with my blood sugar, trouble with asthma, nausea, muscle spasms and cramps, difficulty swallowing, irregular and rapid heartbeat, sleep problems, problems with depression, PMS, chest pain, pre-diabetes and hypertension.

I've been taking magnesium for almost a month now. As my magnesium levels have improved, my body has been using the magnesium to work on different systems starting with the most superficial first. Now I'm starting to see some improvement in some areas like my lungs that I didn't even know were affected to the extent that they were. I knew that I often felt like it was hard to even breathe, but I didn't realize that that I actually wasn't breathing deeply and getting the oxygen that I need. I just found out this morning that magnesium acts as a bronchial dilator. And that the breathing mechanism needs healthy chest wall muscles and a diaphragm. These are the types of muscles you just don't think about. But they are very necessary.

What is happening now is that my body is starting to use magnesium to address my respiratory system. I'm coughing a lot as those passages loosen up. But I'm also breathing easier and am having more energy because things are starting to work the way that God designed them to work. I'm posting this partly to let people know what is happening but also because perhaps part of my journey might be helpful to someone else out there.

No, not "The Onion". I'm talking about the onion that is my multi-faceted chronic health problems. I posted yesterday that I had a very good day physically even though it was mixed with some heart rate issues. I'm having another good day today and I'm pretty sure I know why.

As I've been droning on and on about lately, I'm taking magnesium. I had many hallmarks of a magnesium deficiency - achy muscles, fatigue, trouble with my blood sugar, trouble with asthma, nausea, muscle spasms and cramps, difficulty swallowing, irregular and rapid heartbeat, sleep problems, problems with depression, PMS, chest pain, pre-diabetes and hypertension.

I've been taking magnesium for almost a month now. As my magnesium levels have improved, my body has been using the magnesium to work on different systems starting with the most superficial first. Now I'm starting to see some improvement in some areas like my lungs that I didn't even know were affected to the extent that they were. I knew that I often felt like it was hard to even breathe, but I didn't realize that that I actually wasn't breathing deeply and getting the oxygen that I need. I just found out this morning that magnesium acts as a bronchial dilator. And that the breathing mechanism needs healthy chest wall muscles and a diaphragm. These are the types of muscles you just don't think about. But they are very necessary.

What is happening now is that my body is starting to use magnesium to address my respiratory system. I'm coughing a lot as those passages loosen up. But I'm also breathing easier and am having more energy because things are starting to work the way that God designed them to work. I'm posting this partly to let people know what is happening but also because perhaps part of my journey might be helpful to someone else out there.

Wow, this is so interesting. My Naturopath just put me on magnesium and those are most of the symptoms I've been having too for many, many years. I feel encouraged reading that it's made a difference for you!

Very interesting. You just listed almost every one of the symptoms I've been dealing with for years.

How did you find out you had the deficiency, if you don't mind me asking?

By accident. About a month ago I had a scary episode where my esophagus cramped up and I could not swallow. I panicked at first but then realized that I could breathe through my nose. It was extremely painful and lasted for over 5 minutes. When I got home, I did some googling and discovered that magnesium deficiency could explain the esophageal spasm. As I looked at the list of other things that it could explain, I was able to point out a huge number of them.

Since then I've been experimenting with dosage - taking magnesium orally is tricky because magnesium is also a laxative! I've also used epsom salt baths (like a PP mentioned) and today I plan to make magnesium oil which is a mixture of water and magnesium flakes that makes an oily water that you spray and rub into your skin.

Oh, so glad for you! :hurray:

Thank you for sharing your journey- your transparency has been so helpful and encouraging for so many.

And thanks for the Magnesium heads up; I often forget to take it even though I am supposed to. Somehow remembering to drink it (I use Natural Calm) is harder than remembering to take it as a pill.

Keep us informed of your progress, please!

Jean, can you explain how to balance calcium and magnesium? I bought some mag for my son, but I'm aware you need to know about cal intake, also.

Any info would help.

(not to hijack--and I'm so happy for you!)

"They" say to balance it as a 2:1 ratio with calcium getting the 2 and magnesium getting the 1. But if you have any deficiency at all, then you need to change the ratio so that magnesium is higher. I'm currently doing a 1:2 ratio with magnesium being double that of calcium. But I already know from testing I had done that my calcium levels are high so I'm trying to balance all that out internally.

I'm glad you are feeling better. I hope it continues.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I'm also cooking with coconut oil. Guess what else I discovered today in my research? Coconut oil aids in the absorption of magnesium!

When you say cooking with coconut oil, what do you mean by that? How are you using it?

I'm glad you are feeling better. I hope it continues.

When you say cooking with coconut oil, what do you mean by that? How are you using it?

I'm using it to cook the only thing I cook with oil - eggs! I don't know if this is the "right" way to use it - the heat probably isn't all that good for it but it seems to be helping some. I think.

I'm using it to cook the only thing I cook with oil - eggs! I don't know if this is the "right" way to use it - the heat probably isn't all that good for it but it seems to be helping some. I think.

I use coconut oil all the time for eggs!

Refined coconut oil has a smoke point of 450 degrees F. Unrefined coconut oil has a lower smoke point of 350 degrees F. So as long as you are within those ranges depending on the kind you are using, it should not be a hazard.

[url=http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388334][/url]

Jean, can you explain how to balance calcium and magnesium? I bought some mag for my son, but I'm aware you need to know about cal intake, also.

Any info would help.

(not to hijack--and I'm so happy for you!)

Chris, I don't take calcium at all based on the orignal nurses study about calcium and now that they just released another study showing even greater problems with calcium, I am more convinced than ever to not supplement calcium. I started a thread about this about two weeks ago. The title was: PSA: The Dangers of Calcium. I'll try to find it for you.

ETA: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388334

Edited by KidsHappen

[url=http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388334][/url]

Chris, I don't take calcium at all based on the orignal nurses study about calcium and now that they just released another study showing even greater problems with calcium, I am more convinced than ever to not supplement calcium. I started a thread about this about two weeks ago. The title was: PSA: The Dangers of Calcium. I'll try to find it for you.

ETA: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388334

Kids - I started out doing magnesium only but in my case, I started to have heart palpitations again that only went away when I added just a small amount of calcium. But I don't eat dairy products. That might have a big impact on that.