Menu

TMI warning!!!!!

i have noticed a surprising, but welcome, change in my body since becoming (mostly) vegan. Since the new year I have had one burger (after getting lost in the woods and snowshoeing for over five hours!), half a burger another time, chicken twice, and when I met Parrothead I had meat and dairy. I do have seafood occasionally, although I am having it more frequently lately because it is beach season in NH, and I regularly eat eggs from my own chickens.

I eat low carb. I will normally eat one carb per day. I just don't feel well if I eat too many carbs. If I eat a carb for breakfast, I will be toast for the rest of the day. Most of my carbs come from legumes, Millet or quinoa. I occasionally eat pretzels, potatoes or sourdough bread.

Since I cut out meat, I have noticed surprising changes with my cycles. I was having extremely heavy ones as menopause approached, but immediately after cutting out meat they became lighter. Last month and this they are less than half of what the once were, both in volume AND duration!!!! I am SO pleased with this! I did some searching around online and was surprised to see that this is common! I had NO IDEA!!! I

I ate mainly organic and/or wild meats so I don't think added hormones have anything to do with it.

I also read that some women who cut out all animal products AND processed foods of any kind can basically cut their cycles down to one day of spotting.

Anyway, TMI.... But wanted to share.

Edited by Denisemomof4

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great that your body is feeling better, but please don't call yourself a vegan or vegetarian. Eating meat of any kind makes you NOT a vegetarian and you certainly aren't vegan (consuming no meat, dairy, or eggs...) if you are eating all of those things.

These are the kinds of things that make vegetarians crazy....because then we are told "My friend is a vegetarian and she eats fish...why don't you?" Well...because vegetarians don't eat animals!!

My goal is to have no meat (unless I am at a friends for a meal.... I don't put restrictions there) and i started out with months of nothing but eggs from my chickens.

So i do consider myself vegan since I am doing this for moral reasons.... Not wanting to add to the suffering of other animals.

I eat periodic shell fish. Guilt free.

And technically it's not vegan, but I will continue to call myself (mostly) vegan as I have for the past six months, because that is what I am.

I am sorry you and your friends allow this to drive you crazy.

My goal is to have no meat (unless I am at a friends for a meal.... I don't put restrictions there) and i started out with months of nothing but eggs from my chickens.

So i do consider myself vegan since I am doing this for moral reasons.... Not wanting to add to the suffering of other animals.

And technically it's not vegan, but I will continue to call myself (mostly) vegan as I have for the past six months, because that is what I am.

:lol:

Moral reasons related to animal suffering are mostly what have driven my family to working towards raising our own protein (eggs, chickens). We hope to have a couple of pigs next year. Congrats on the changes you've noticed. And hopefully those who are already "there" will be a little more tolerant of those of us who are in the process or still on the journey. :)

As long as you understand that you aren't vegan...I guess I just don't understand why you'd bother claiming the title. :confused:

Awesome! :D My husband and I have been able to steer clear of all the mass heart disease we were sure to have (family history for both of us) by stopping the animal protein from entering our bodies. The issues with animal treatment came later, I'm ashamed to say. Every time you share your story, even TMI, you help to encourage someone else to make a change and that is heroic and awesome. You're ovo-vegetarian, btw.;) My oldest son is home from college and when home, he eats vegetarian, not vegan, like the rest of us. He is already starting to see a difference in his skin and breathing ability since being home and eating healthier. It is a fun way to live.

I eat low carb. I will normally eat one carb per day. I just don't feel well if I eat too many carbs. If I eat a carb for breakfast, I will be toast for the rest of the day. Most of my carbs come from legumes, Millet or quinoa. I occasionally eat pretzels, potatoes or sourdough bread.

I'm really curious about this. Would you mind sharing how you manage to eat only one carb per day, eating mostly vegan?

Thanks!

There are endless health benefits to going vegan, or in your case, eating less animal products. I'm glad you're noticing a difference! I know that before I went vegan I had horrible menstrual cramps and heavy bleeding. But I haven't had a cramp in so long that I couldn't even tell you what one feels like! :D And my period only lasts about 4 days whereas prior to going vegan it lasted 7. My DH loves the fact that I'm the only woman he knows who doesn't get "crazy" during "that time" of the month, too. He's told me from the beginning that's it's so refreshing because I'm guessing his past girlfriends really got nutso during that time. :lol:

This is so encouraging! I'm glad you shared your experience. :)

I am just heading into vegan territory at my doc's request, and hearing any positive stories is a great encouragement.

I will be posting my ldl/hdl Results when I get them. My numbers were never really good unless I had no/light carbs and no dairy/animal fat.

I do eat a ton of eggs and coconut oil so I'm wondering..........

I love eating this way. I was 100% vegan for a year and a half before with NO cheats. I loved it but it was hard being the only vegan in the family. Now I have dh cook his meat while I take care of everything else.

I am thrilled to have given up all forms of dairy completely. I just had alfredo sauce once when I met Chucki. The So Delicious milk and creamer are my favorite dairy rep,acements. If you drink coffee, that creamer is the only one I like. Try it! Also LOVE their yogurts but they are sweet so it is more of a dessert for me. I bought dd their ice cream and she loved it. All made from coconut milk and OH SO GOOD!!!

There are endless health benefits to going vegan, or in your case, eating less animal products. I'm glad you're noticing a difference! I know that before I went vegan I had horrible menstrual cramps and heavy bleeding. But I haven't had a cramp in so long that I couldn't even tell you what one feels like! :D And my period only lasts about 4 days whereas prior to going vegan it lasted 7. My DH loves the fact that I'm the only woman he knows who doesn't get "crazy" during "that time" of the month, too. He's told me from the beginning that's it's so refreshing because I'm guessing his past girlfriends really got nutso during that time. :lol:

I have noticed almost no PMS also, and I truly don't feel like I'm having a period when I do.

I love being (mostly) vegan.:001_smile:

As long as you understand that you aren't vegan...I guess I just don't understand why you'd bother claiming the title. :confused:

:iagree:

A vegan doesn't consume animal products ever. It doesn't matter what your reasons are for consuming LESS meat, you still aren't a vegan.

You can't co-opt a term that doesn't actually apply to you.

I doubt I'd even call you a vegetarian. There is no mostly vegan. You are or you aren't.

I will be posting my ldl/hdl Results when I get them. My numbers were never really good unless I had no/light carbs and no dairy/animal fat.

I had to have a bunch of bloodwork done for a life insurance policy and the results came back with the triglycerides flagged because they were so abnormally low! That made me so darn happy. I had to get a letter from a doctor stating that it was okay for those to be low. Crazy.... I bet you'll be happy. I don't know about the eggs, though. However, I do think it is very healthy for you to eat the eggs I just don't know about the actual numbers.

I thought getting rid of dairy made more of difference than getting rid of meat!

I guess i dont understand why you let it bother you so much.

If I eat an animal protein once per month, and eating my chickens eggs, I will claim (mostly) vegan as I have numerous times here in the past month. I dont care if you have an issue with it.

I am on a vegan board where I get fantastic recipes and the peop,e seem real nice. They also rescue animals like I do, and openly speak of their love for animals, their hate for factory farming and animal suffering. I fit in well with those beliefs, but I, personally, think it is stupid to rescue laying hens and then throw out their eggs.:confused: my chickens have a great life here and I eat their eggs guilt free. I don't need someone to have an issue with this and I wont change my "title" for anyone. The title in my post should of read (mostly) vegan as that is what I have used here for months.

I have stopped looking at vegetarian cookbooks because it surprises me hoe much dairy is used in them. Now I look for vegan cookbooks.

:lol:

Moral reasons related to animal suffering are mostly what have driven my family to working towards raising our own protein (eggs, chickens). We hope to have a couple of pigs next year. Congrats on the changes you've noticed. And hopefully those who are already "there" will be a little more tolerant of those of us who are in the process or still on the journey. :)

Awesome start!

:iagree:

A vegan doesn't consume animal products ever. It doesn't matter what your reasons are for consuming LESS meat, you still aren't a vegan.

You can't co-opt a term that doesn't actually apply to you.

I doubt I'd even call you a vegetarian. There is no mostly vegan. You are or you aren't.

I am mostly vegan. Nothing wrong with claiming that.

Vegetarian..... Do you eat dairy? I also read no processed foods helps.

I do, but not much. I don't like dairy or eggs unless hidden in something. I do eat imitation meat once or twice a week, and that must be quite processed. What is strange is it's only sometimes. When I do feel cramp-y I find having a nap usually solves the problem.

I am mostly vegan. Nothing wrong with claiming that.

Yes, there is, as you are using the word incorrectly and it muddies the meaning. A vegan diet does not include any animal products period. When one goes around saying they are vegan and then consumes meat/eggs/shellfish, it creates confusion among non-vegans, and has led to items being incorrectly labeled in stores and restaurants.

Vegan also goes beyond diet and includes avoiding items that lead to animal suffering.

You consume a diet low in animal products, but you are neither vegan nor vegetarian.

I do, but not much. I don't like dairy or eggs unless hidden in something. I do eat imitation meat once or twice a week, and that must be quite processed. What is strange is it's only sometimes. When I do feel cramp-y I find having a nap usually solves the problem.

Do you eat a lot of soy? I try not to have much of it because it can cause issues with hormones.

I bought a field loaf at the local HFS that was to die for. It had dressing with some fruit in it and was made from mushrooms and wheat. I had another made with lentils that wasnt so great. There are some imitation meat products which have no soy, just not many.

Yes, there is, as you are using the word incorrectly and it muddies the meaning. A vegan diet does not include any animal products period. When one goes around saying they are vegan and then consumes meat/eggs/shellfish, it creates confusion among non-vegans, and has led to items being incorrectly labeled in stores and restaurants.

Vegan also goes beyond diet and includes avoiding items that lead to animal suffering.

You consume a diet low in animal products, but you are neither vegan nor vegetarian.

MOSTLY vegan means MOSTLY vegan, not 100% vegan.

Can you please stop it now? I wont be changing my MOSTLY VEGAN title for you or anyone else. I AM MOSTLY VEGAN and PROUD of it!!! :thumbup:

Interesting. Our family moved to a (mostly) vegetarian diet when we held our first and realized I'd never return to work and were losing half our income. Tofu was only $0.88 for a pound. For two years, we were skinny without thinking about it and had a lot of energy.

He moved up the corporate ladder and we moved from NY to TX. We had more money and the quality of meat was noticeable. We both gained weight, suffered from allergies, were tired, and he started taking cholesterol medication. Crazy!

Okay, I'm gonna have to agree, but not because I am worked up about it or anything, ha (in case that is your reaction to my comment). I have a sister who is very much on the side of animal rights, has a house full of them, and is cutting meat out of her diet. She still isn't vegan, however, although I think that is the goal. There will be no eggs, dairy, or shellfish in her future, in other words.

I'd be fine with your description of vegan if the plan was to work all the animal products out of your diet, but it isn't. You said you'll be keeping eggs and shellfish in your diet. So, that isn't vegan, which is just a term that describes someone with NO animal products in their diet.

You ARE an animal lover with a mostly vegetarian diet, which is admirable by the way. I'm not sure I understand why you are so concerned with the need to call yourself vegan? It's really not a big deal - just a basic definition....:confused:

Well, I eat mostly vegan then too, but I don't say I'm vegan because with that "title" tends to be an intolerance. For the sake of ordering food, I have to ask about vegan options because DD cannot have eggs, and I cannot have dairy (though I would choose to not anyways). I don't care what people call themselves.

Now, I would have a problem with one calling one's self a bumble bee an running around poking people with a sharp stick. Or an elephant stomping around with giant boots blowing a horn at people. But if you want to dress up like an elephant and not go harming people than why the heck would anyone actually let it bother them. And OP I'm not comparing you to a crazy person dressed up like an animal. I'm just being as ridiculous as I think the concept of complaining about what people refer to themselves is :lol:

But really I don't care if people want to call themselves veg/vegan or what have you. I WAS strict vegan for a very long time. HOwever, my family was not. My being vegan was to basically lessen our animal consumption as a family, because I know they are not happy/healthy without it. My main issue is factory farming, but I cannot afford for all of us to eat completely grass fed/organic/local until I can raise my own, so I go without it because I enjoy other foods. I eat turkey and fish once in a while.

Do you have Moosewood cookbooks? I LOVE the Moosewood Restaurant New CLassics. Seriously every recipe is delish. A few call for milk OR vegetable broth, things like that. But dairy/eggs are not the staples in the book.

MOSTLY vegan means MOSTLY vegan, not 100% vegan.

Can you please stop it now? I wont be changing my MOSTLY VEGAN title for you or anyone else. I AM MOSTLY VEGAN and PROUD of it!!! :thumbup:

You are either vegan or you aren't. You are the one that seems a bit hung up on giving yourself a title.

You eat a diet low in animal products. That is not vegan or vegetarian, mostly or not.

Interesting. Our family moved to a (mostly) vegetarian diet when we held our first and realized I'd never return to work and were losing half our income. Tofu was only $0.88 for a pound. For two years, we were skinny without thinking about it and had a lot of energy.

He moved up the corporate ladder and we moved from NY to TX. We had more money and the quality of meat was noticeable. We both gained weight, suffered from allergies, were tired, and he started taking cholesterol medication. Crazy!

I am not surprised!!!

The thing that is surprising, and frustrating, is that going mostly vegan at 49 has caused PAINFULLY slow weightloss (although that is not the reason for doing it) but when I did it at 29 after gaining 75 lbs with my first baby, all weight came off within three months and stayed off until I got pregnant 3 years later. I was only vegan for a year and a half at the time, consumed absolutely NO animal prodicts, and felt the best I ever have in my life.

and has led to items being incorrectly labeled in stores and restaurants.

Do you have proof of this? I am curious mainly about the labels in stores. I was under the impression that labels must list ingredients. I have never seen a vegan label with non vegan ingredients. I think the vegan culture is loud enough that most people are in the know. We have allergies in the home, and I read labels even if they say sans ingredient.

There are always going to be bumbling idiots running restaurants who don't know what vegetarian/vegan is, or gluten free egg free dairy free soy free etc etc etc. I don't let it bother me or lecture the guy telling me "well the eggs are cooked in the muffin, or well there is cheese but no dairy." I just say "thanks" and move on to next item.

I love eating this way. I was 100% vegan for a year and a half before with NO cheats. I loved it but it was hard being the only vegan in the family. Now I have dh cook his meat while I take care of everything else.

I am thrilled to have given up all forms of dairy completely. I just had alfredo sauce once when I met Chucki. The So Delicious milk and creamer are my favorite dairy rep,acements. If you drink coffee, that creamer is the only one I like. Try it! Also LOVE their yogurts but they are sweet so it is more of a dessert for me. I bought dd their ice cream and she loved it. All made from coconut milk and OH SO GOOD!!!

I'm looking forward to hearing more! And would love to hear any more tips on replacements, etc. We are limited by some allergies here, but hopefully I can try most of them. I'm drooling over the coconut milk products, but kiddo is anaphylactic so I will have to save that for outings, alas.

My doc wants me to the do the McDougall diet - have you heard of that one? It's to reduce inflammation (for me) but lowers cholesterold/BP, I'm sure. Oh, and no more than 15 gms of fat per day. Eek. It's an adjustment!

Maybe we need a (mostly) vegan recipe thread. :D

Do you have proof of this? I am curious mainly about the labels in stores. I was under the impression that labels must list ingredients. I have never seen a vegan label with non vegan ingredients. I think the vegan culture is loud enough that most people are in the know. We have allergies in the home, and I read labels even if they say sans ingredient.

There are always going to be bumbling idiots running restaurants who don't know what vegetarian/vegan is, or gluten free egg free dairy free soy free etc etc etc. I don't let it bother me or lecture the guy telling me "well the eggs are cooked in the muffin, or well there is cheese but no dairy." I just say "thanks" and move on to next item.

Just complaints from vegans about their experiences. I believe one complaint I saw fairly often on a vegan board was companies changing their product to a non-vegan/vegetarian one without realizing they were doing so.

Leave it to you to inadvertently start a controversial thread :tongue_smilie:

I swear, people, don't make me find a vegan in a kilt...

I also read that some women who cut out all animal products AND processed foods of any kind can basically cut their cycles down to one day of spotting.

I wonder about this. I stopped eating all but cheese/eggs when I was 7, went vegan on and off and have never been regular. We chalked it up to exercise and then pcos, but maybe something like this?

However, for the last 5 months I have been mostly vegan (I had eggs twice from a friend's chicken :P) and have had steady periods the last 3 months. To my complete surprise and confusion.:confused:

I'm really curious about this. Would you mind sharing how you manage to eat only one carb per day, eating mostly vegan?

Thanks!

I usually eat a piece of toast in the morning and have no other grains. Stir fry w/o rice, chili w/o rice/bread and I don't do pasta, at all. But I am not at all picky about eating the same thing 17 meals in a row, either :D

Denise! :grouphug: to you for your wonderful work and progress toward your goal. I wanted also to add that I have been personally infuriated with some of your responses. There is no need for such purist ideals to be forced on you so rudely. The same ridiculous attitude could be expressed by someone to a newcomer as, "Well, since your child is only 2, you aren't *technically* a homeschooler yet, are you??" :tongue_smilie: or "Well, since you are using some of those Charlotte Mason reference materials, you really aren't *technically* a classical homeschooler, are you?? That muddies up the waters for us who REALLY are!" Keep up the good nutritional work, Denise! :cheers2:

Thanks!

I will usually save my carb for dinner so I can have a fuller, more satisfied feeling at night. I sleep better when I do this.

I will have shakes or omelettes for brunch (I don't like to eat until 11:00 or 12:00 no matter how early I wake up), sometimes a large veggie stirfry, large salad, I do eat legumes sometimes. A favorite is refried beans thrown i to a pan of sauteed onions and topped with tons of fresh tomatoes. i am finding more and more vegan veggie dishes that I love and have a variety of them to choose from. Two other favorites are mashing a head of cauliflower with a jar of my favorite pesto (want to experiment with home made) or I make match stick slices of zucchini, red pepper and carrots and sautee in generous amounts of coconut oil. The longer I do my mostly vegan diet, the larger my list of favorites be ome.

In the afternoon, if I dind myself hingry, I will have nuts, sometimes a handful of pretzels, veggies with hummus, a tablespoon or two of peanut or sunflower seed butter, etc.

I truly feel better if I dont have carbs during the day.

For dinner it varies. Last night I had a TON of marinaded asparagus because we are running low on veggies, and I have some potato pocket thingies.:tongue_smilie:

I have spent several months scouring vegan and low/no carb sites and have a variety of pickings.

If I am going to go on a hike or have a very physically active day, I will make millet for dinner the previous night then have a millet, coconut milk, nuts and seeds, stevia, cinnamon breakfast cereal, but i mostly stay away from carbs during the day.

There are always going to be bumbling idiots running restaurants who don't know what vegetarian/vegan is, or gluten free egg free dairy free soy free etc etc etc. .

Haha! I just had a vegan meal the other night at an event. Salad, roasted vegetables, fruit salad, pudding :lol::lol:

If I eat an animal protein once per month, and eating my chickens eggs, I will claim (mostly) vegan as I have numerous times here in the past month. I dont care if you have an issue with it.

I am on a vegan board where I get fantastic recipes and the peop,e seem real nice. They also rescue animals like I do, and openly speak of their love for animals, their hate for factory farming and animal suffering. I fit in well with those beliefs, but I, personally, think it is stupid to rescue laying hens and then throw out their eggs.:confused: my chickens have a great life here and I eat their eggs guilt free. I don't need someone to have an issue with this and I wont change my "title" for anyone. The title in my post should of read (mostly) vegan as that is what I have used here for months.

I have stopped looking at vegetarian cookbooks because it surprises me hoe much dairy is used in them. Now I look for vegan cookbooks.

I think it's kind of like being "sort of pregnant". You're either are or you aren't, kwim? Vegans don't eat eggs or fish or other animal products, ever. And it does muddy the water when people use terms that mean one thing and use them in another way. I understand that you add the mostly part in front, but for vegans that's just not possible.

And I've got no dog in this fight. I'm an omnivore :001_smile:.

And I'm glad that your new way of eating is helping you feel better!! That's wonderful.

I think the point is that a vegan doesn't eat eggs. An ovo vegetarian does. Making you an ovo vegetarian. It's just the definition. And for some of us words do have exact definitions.

I'm looking forward to hearing more! And would love to hear any more tips on replacements, etc. We are limited by some allergies here, but hopefully I can try most of them. I'm drooling over the coconut milk products, but kiddo is anaphylactic so I will have to save that for outings, alas.

My doc wants me to the do the McDougall diet - have you heard of that one? It's to reduce inflammation (for me) but lowers cholesterold/BP, I'm sure. Oh, and no more than 15 gms of fat per day. Eek. It's an adjustment!

Maybe we need a (mostly) vegan recipe thread. :D

McDougall was the plan I followed when I became 100% vegan 20 years ago! It won't be easy but once you are 100% you will LOVE it. I do remember his sauteeing veggies in water. sorry, I don't think I can do that again.

Since I am trying to ward off Alzehimers, anyway, coconut oil will remain a stapke in my diet.

RTA. One other tip. Salted olive oil can Replace butter in any dish and NOBODY will know. The first year I did this for Thanksgiving, I kept it secret from everyone. They were SHOCKED, especially my fsther, who consumed HUGE amounts of butter.

Sorry about your son. :(

Edited by Denisemomof4

Thanks for sharing your experience. We recently started reducing meat, dairy & processed foods to improve our overall health and after your post I realized I've had less cramps, etc until this month. The week before the horrible cramps I had relatives in town and ate lots of processed junk and too much meat. I knew the weight gain and increased allergy problems were connected to the poor eating but hadn't connected the other dots until I read your post. Now I have another good reason to stick with my plan:lol:.

If you haven't seen it the 100 Days of Real Food blog is great for tips on cutting out processed foods. Unfortunately a lot of vegan options are highly processed so it's nice to find real food alternatives you can make yourself. I think the author of the blog refers to herself as a "flexitarian" which is a term that I'd never heard before but probably fits what we're trying to do after watching Forks over Knives we're trying to keep all meat and dairy under 10% of our diet.

I think it's kind of like being "sort of pregnant". You're either are or you aren't, kwim? Vegans don't eat eggs or fish or other animal products, ever. And it does muddy the water when people use terms that mean one thing and use them in another way. I understand that you add the mostly part in front, but for vegans that's just not possible.

And I've got no dog in this fight. I'm an omnivore :001_smile:.

And I'm glad that your new way of eating is helping you feel better!! That's wonderful.

:iagree:. I think that's the problem everyone is having. Kind of like the lady that does puzzles and sings the ABC song with her four year old says she's homeschooling. Not the right use of the word.

Haha! I just had a vegan meal the other night at an event. Salad, roasted vegetables, fruit salad, pudding :lol::lol:

I find the biggest problem in restaurants is butter and eggs. Often, butter is used when someone isn't aware that it really is a dairy product. I always just know that if I order a vegan veggie burger, I will need to eat it without the bun because dang it if it doesn't have butter on it. :tongue_smilie:

That's a good question. "Vegan" doesn't mean someone who abstains from animal products for moral reasons. It means someone who doesn't comsume animal products.

Meat, seafood, dairy . . . all animal products.

I think the term you might be looking for would be more like "ethical flexitarian."

All of that aside, though, I'm happy you're seeing positive changes in your health. And the animals you don't eat are certainly benefitting from your choices, too!

I think it bothers some of who are actually vegans because:

1. It devalues our choices if you use the term casually to refer to something different.

2. It confuses other people about what the word actually means.

3. It gives people who think vegans are ridiculous hypocrites something to point to as evidence. ("I know this woman who calls herself a vegan, but she's eating eggs and meat every time I see her!")

So, of course you have the right to call youself whatever you want. But those of us to whom it matters have the right to call you out on it, and let you know we find it insulting, too.

(Edit: Ah, but I see you don't really care and won't be changing your terminology or so much as responding to any of us who challenge it. So, I'll move on to other threads.)

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Denise! :grouphug: to you for your wonderful work and progress toward your goal. I wanted also to add that I have been personally infuriated with some of your responses. There is no need for such purist ideals to be forced on you so rudely. The same ridiculous attitude could be expressed by someone to a newcomer as, "Well, since your child is only 2, you aren't *technically* a homeschooler yet, are you??" :tongue_smilie: or "Well, since you are using some of those Charlotte Mason reference materials, you really aren't *technically* a classical homeschooler, are you?? That muddies up the waters for us who REALLY are!" Keep up the good nutritional work, Denise! :cheers2:

Thanks!!!!!!!:grouphug:

Thanks for sharing your experience. We recently started reducing meat, dairy & processed foods to improve our overall health and after your post I realized I've had less cramps, etc until this month. The week before the horrible cramps I had relatives in town and ate lots of processed junk and too much meat. I knew the weight gain and increased allergy problems were connected to the poor eating but hadn't connected the other dots until I read your post. Now I have another good reason to stick with my plan:lol:.

If you haven't seen it the 100 Days of Real Food blog is great for tips on cutting out processed foods. Unfortunately a lot of vegan options are highly processed so it's nice to find real food alternatives you can make yourself. I think the author of the blog refers to herself as a "flexitarian" which is a term that I'd never heard before but probably fits what we're trying to do after watching Forks over Knives we're trying to keep all meat and dairy under 10% of our diet.

Is that the definition of a flexatarion? Meat and dairy less than 10%? Because I do fat less than 10% and only had dairy once in six months.

Can you tell me about Forks over Knives? I wanted to go to a showing of it but couldn't find a date which worked.

You will love your new way of eating once you have adjusted! I allow very, very few processed vegan items in my diet, and I strictly limot soy.

I will check out that blog. Thanks for sharing!!!