Menu

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. When I cut out the carbs and sugar and went to a meat/veggies/dairy/full fat diet I lost 60 lbs, and I haven't felt this great in 20 yrs. I will never choke down a low-fat anything ever again. Bring on the BIG steak!

I am another one that does best health wise with at least some meat. I don't eat it for every meal (we eat many dishes that are veggie or vegan), but it is a regular part of my diet. I try to limit/avoid super processed or salted meats (like pepperoni, many lunch meats, bacon etc) but I love a good steak and I eat a lot of poultry and fish.

I now eat a lot of fruits and veggies, fish, meat, poultry, eggs, a little non-wheat starchy carbs and a limited amount of goat's milk cheese. Basically no sugar and no caloric beverages (just the occasional black coffee and unsweetened herbal tea.) I do not eat cow's milk dairy, gluten, soy, fake foods etc. Happy to be an omnivore, but I really am not one for a lot of dairy at all. I have always been averse to dairy (since I was a tiny tot) so it stands to reason it's not very good for me. My c-reactive protein number plummeted after just a month of avoiding sugar, cow milk dairy and gluten.

I was vegetarian and then briefly a vegan in college. I was NOT eating much highly processed stuff or fake meat stuff. I literally have never been so sick for so long in my life. Finally my (vegetarian himself) medical doctor suggested that I stop eating tofu and consider eating meat. As soon as I started eating meat again, I dropped weight I gained while vegetarian and a bunch of symptoms cleared up. It bears repeating that different people need different diets. Vegan is great for the body types is works for. Ovolacto Veg is great for the people it works for. And meat is great for the people it works for. That said, most meat eaters consume far too much meat, too much processed meat and other processed foods and consume far too few veggies.

What's wrong with loving a *flavor*? :lol: Most vegans grew up eating meat and when you transition you want your "comfort" foods. Most vegans/vegetarians that I know start out by eating the faux meats, but then move away from them. I know I lived on them when I first went vegetarian because it made it easier for me. Now, I don't eat them at all (maybe twice a year, if that) because I don't desire those tastes anymore. Just because someone is veg doesn't mean their tastes have necessarily changed, just their morals and ethics.

I love a good veggie burger but I really don't want it to taste anything like meat. I want it to taste like the seasoning I would put in my meat if I had no other choice but to eat a meat burger.

[quote name=Can you tell me about Forks over Knives? I wanted to go to a showing of it but couldn't find a date which worked.

You will love your new way of eating once you have adjusted! I allow very' date=' very few processed vegan items in my diet, and I strictly limot soy.

I will check out that blog. Thanks for sharing!!!

You can probably get both the movie and book version of Forks Over Knives at your library. If you have Amazon prime, it's a free rental. :001_smile:

Also, to make things somewhat efficient, if you see a kosher symbol on a product in the store (a "U" with an O around it, a "K" with a circle around it, a K with a triangle around it, a K with a star around it...there are others but those are the most common) and it says D or DAIRY next to it, or M or meat next to it, it has dairy or animal products. If it does not say D or M, OR it says "pareve" then it does not have any animal anything in it, either outright or hidden in other ingredients. I can't say whether it meets the standards for 'strictly vegan' but I do know that we absolutely cannot mix dairy and meat products or byproducts so the standards for getting the kosher label are intense. (One exception: anything that might contain gelatin, which is not kosher, might have a 'fish gelatin' substitution but it will be listed on the ingredients list).

One caveat, "pareve" foods can have eggs or honey in them, so if you don't eat those, have a gander at the ingredient list.

I always wonder why so many vegans, if they're opposed to eating meat for moral reasons, are always on the lookout for the perfect veggie burger. I mean, they think it's cruel to be eating ground animal meat, but they have no problem loving the flavor and trying to make something else in nature imitate it? LOL

I just keep picturing a reformed cannibal trying a chicken leg, then throwing his head back with satisfaction and saying, "YES! Tastes like human!!"

:lol: All in fun here! (I could really care less about the titles people want to give themselves. lol)

This reminded me of a time many years ago... a bunch of us went out after work for 'Happy Hour'. One lady said she was opposed to anyone drinking alcohol for moral reasons, and proceeded to order a non-alcoholic beer. The rest of us were like :001_huh::001_huh:.

:lol: This reminds me of an incident many years ago. I was on an airline flight and there was a Loud Talker a couple rows back. During the meal service they asked if she wanted chicken or beef. She announced loudly that she'd take the chicken "because I'm a vegetarian." :blink: :huh:

:confused: Oh, my.

I know! Health care reasons alone...

(man, watch a thread implode. Dietary issues AND health care in one! SHABOOM!)

:auto:

**SNORT**

Denise, I don't care what title your thread has or what term you use.... I'm glad you found something that works for you!!

Edited by Heather in AL
'Cause I somehow posted before I was finished typing.

I have a question about the bolded quote though - this stat on the probelm with animal protein was actually just about consuming CASEIN (milk protein). It comes from T. Colin Cambell's China Study (that was prominently featured in FoK) and one thing that surprised me in the documentary was that they didn't substantiate very well the problems with other forms of animal proteins in correlation with different diseases.

It seemed like a serious omission as dairy protein (casein) is not the same protein as other forms of animal protein, and I was shocked that the documentary made the leap from 'heart disease-cancer correlation with increased casein consumption' to 'THEREFORE ALL ANIMAL PROTEIN CAUSES CANCER' (especially b/c someone who is allergic/intolerant of casein can still eat beef without immediate ill effects b/c the meat protein is not casein, and they can also eat eggs b/c eggs don't contain casein). I was truly confused as to why they lumped them all together as one substance in making their case.

Forks over Knives is kind of dodgy from a rational/scientific perspective.

This rather long article discusses it.

And like a pp, I wonder if a suddenly short and light menstrual cycle is necessarily a good sign.

Forks over Knives is kind of dodgy from a rational/scientific perspective.

Yup. Of course switching from a processed junk food diet to a vegan whole real foods diet will be a net improvement. And for some it may be great long term. But meat does not necessarily mean processed junk. There are plenty of unhealthy people who don't eat animal products but gorge on bread and sugar.