Menu

Secular WTM Board

IS there a reason why we can't have a secular board here for people that do not want to wade through religious posts?

I did email TWTM about this twice now, and have gotten no reply. SO thought maybe someone here would know.

Thanks

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people put CC in the title of their thread to warn that there is christian content to allow those who wish to avoid it to skip reading that thread. I just skip over any threads that don't interest me.

Welcome to the boards. :)

Oh yes, I know about the CC. Just was wondering why there has never been a secular board here or on the older boards. Something for people that may use TWTM in an alternative setting.

Thanks

We have discussed this before in the past, and I think that the majority of people (please correct me I am not remembering this correctly) prefer the mixed viewpoints presented on this board. I for one, love reading the posts of those who do not share my religious/political/parenting/fill in the blank beliefs because they make me think of things in different ways. I would be very sad if we split on any one of these issues, because I think the strength of the board would be diminished.

This has been brought up before. As Jean said, most people do put CC in their subject lines, so if you choose, you can simply skip those.

This is a community of many different types of people. We all manage to blend together in some wonderful kind of way. We enjoy reading various viewpoints and stretching our thinking. We have some known atheists and even a witch or two. ;)

Welcome to the spice cabinet! :D

I feel the same way....it seems there is an influx of religion in posts lately. Not really talking of religion....but many posts referring to it (praying for help, etc.)

And sure....I can bypass those posts but it is impossible when it is not obvious in the subject line.

Of course....no offense to those who are religious.

Tammy

Oh yes, I know about the CC. Just was wondering why there has never been a secular board here or on the older boards. Something for people that may use TWTM in an alternative setting.

Thanks

There's also a TWTMSecular yahoo group.

You feel you have to "wade through" posts? Huh. I just read the title and move on.

As there are far more non-religious messages than otherwise, forming a schism on that basis would seem really harsh to me.

Yep! Like I said below, it's a spice cabinet. How boring it would be were we all just one flavor. *Yawn*

BTW, if you go to the K-8 board, you'll see that many people will post specifically asking for secular materials, etc. That way, they get answers that suit what they're looking for.

Most people put CC in the title of their thread to warn that there is christian content to allow those who wish to avoid it to skip reading that thread.

Yes. The only time I don't is when the title itself speaks to the Christian nature of the post (i.e. prayer needed, prayer request, or the like).

I, too, welcome the OP to the boards.

What has been sticking out to me lately....are the posts that are asking God for help, etc. Those posts are usually about something I would open. Then when you open the posts.....you read about God's journey for them. Certainly....there is nothing wrong with it....but I would have bypassed that post...had I known.

We have discussed this before in the past, and I think that the majority of people (please correct me I am not remembering this correctly) prefer the mixed viewpoints presented on this board. I for one, love reading the posts of those who do not share my religious/political/parenting/fill in the blank beliefs because they make me think of things in different ways. I would be very sad if we split on any one of these issues, because I think the strength of the board would be diminished.

:iagree:

I don't want to see some of my secular friends leave and go to another board. I gain as much from their insight on things. I'd rather have our melting pot board.

Welcome. You'll get used to it and might even appreciate some of the perspectives coming from the CC side. ;)

If we had a secular board, would we also need a Christian board? Jewish? Muslim? When would it stop? There are a lot of options out there if you really don't want opinions that differ from yours religiously.

I'm an atheist, and I appreciate this board because I can get a variety of perspectives.

There are a lot of posts I skip over due to the content, but it's not always for religious reasons! ;)

IS there a reason why we can't have a secular board here for people that do not want to wade through religious posts?

I did email TWTM about this twice now, and have gotten no reply. SO thought maybe someone here would know.

Thanks

I absolutely agree with Mindy. This is a much richer place because of the wide variety of viewpoints and beliefs. And because of the respectful way in which we've learned to discuss topics. Its unusual, I think, to find such a place on the internet where such a diverse group of people can discuss and share their viewpoints without flame wars, and everyone here works hard to keep it that way. I've learned so much over the last 8 years of hanging out here -- how to see the world through the eyes of other people.

I used to belong to a yahoo group for secular WTMers. I don't know if the group still exists, but you could do a search of the yahoo groups. The funny thing was that many of the active people on that list were also active here -- so while I learned of a few new titles, it wasn't that much different or more enriching than this board.

The WTM isn't written exclusively for Christian families, nor is this board exclusively for the use of Christian parents. I think what you are seeing here is simply a reflection of the national homeschooling demographics. You'll probably find some kindred spirits on this board, and over time you will find yourself greatful for the excellent advice you get from some very non-secular homeschoolers!

I absolutely agree with Mindy. This is a much richer place because of the wide variety of viewpoints and beliefs. And because of the respectful way in which we've learned to discuss topics. Its unusual, I think, to find such a place on the internet where such a diverse group of people can discuss and share their viewpoints without flame wars, and everyone here works hard to keep it that way. I've learned so much over the last 8 years of hanging out here -- how to see the world through the eyes of other people.

I used to belong to a yahoo group for secular WTMers. I don't know if the group still exists, but you could do a search of the yahoo groups. The funny thing was that many of the active people on that list were also active here -- so while I learned of a few new titles, it wasn't that much different or more enriching than this board.

The WTM isn't written exclusively for Christian families, nor is this board exclusively for the use of Christian parents. I think what you are seeing here is simply a reflection of the national homeschooling demographics. You'll probably find some kindred spirits on this board, and over time you will find yourself greatful for the excellent advice you get from some very non-secular homeschoolers!

:iagree: I really appreciate reading everyone's ideas. I learn a lot by seeing things from a different POV. In my book, folks is folks. Of course, since I am a Christian, my posts reflect that worldview but I really do enjoy hearing what others have to say on a subject. I would much rather have a diverse group than a Christian or secular group. Besides, I would *still* have to wade through all the Christian threads that I don't agree with doctrinally;).

:iagree: I'm a Christian, but I like to hear the variety of viewpoints. If there were a secular board and a Christian (or religious in general) board, I don't think I would care to visit either one. I would be worried that the secular board would be too secular and the religious board would be too religious. Either would probably completely turn me off. Kinda like both FOX news and various overly liberal news commentators turn me off. It's nice to have an option that is varied and more balanced. That's the way I see this board.

What has been sticking out to me lately....are the posts that are asking God for help, etc. Those posts are usually about something I would open. Then when you open the posts.....you read about God's journey for them. Certainly....there is nothing wrong with it....but I would have bypassed that post...had I known.

Interesting example of the melting pot concept. Personally and because my knowledge of God is simply the foundation for my relationship with Him, I can't really relate to being able to talk about asking Him for something without also being able to speak of my "journey" with Him.

I can't imagine that anymore than I can imagine having to experience life here on the boards without sharing it with good friends like you, Tammy! :grouphug:

I'm one who happens to agree with keeping everyone together as we truly do learn from one another on so many different counts. I just skip posts that don't interest me and, for those occasions that I open a post I don't care to read, I don't fret about the millisecond it takes me to close it out.

I really don't fret about it either, Sharon... But...I have noticed a good many posts lately. I guess I just wanted to let the OP know that she wasn't the only one who noticed it. I really wouldn't want to separate the boards either. I also realize that those who have a journey with God.... it is a big part of their lives...and for them to never mention it would be like....well....I am sure it would be difficult, LOL! I am also glad there is a good mix of people here.

This isn't a WTM Christian board, so I don't see the reason to segregate people by their faiths here. As much as some may not like to read posts with CC, that sentiment can go both ways. As with anything, if the topic doesn't interest you, move on. I certainly pass on posts that are of no interest to me and I've even been known to click out of threads where the topic takes a turn that's offensive. Everyone, to some degree, has to do that. I think having the mixture of people here is far better than having a site that's cubby-holed with specific boards for religious beliefs, political beliefs or whatever. JMO.

...I have noticed a good many posts lately. I guess I just wanted to let the OP know that she wasn't the only one who noticed it...I am also glad there is a good mix of people here.

It does seem to come and go in waves though, don't you think? I remember a time when the General Board had a great many threads relating to the winter solstice and circle decorations. :D I was doin' some wading myself back then ;)

I'm glad you're glad there's a good mix of people here. :iagree:

It's at that point that I would move on to another thread if I didn't wish to view a thread that talks about someone's journey with God. This is one of the few places people can actually "say" "God" and talk about being religious without getting "dinged" for it. Most of the time I don't appreciate the atheists that post about how there is no God, but I don't suggest that they get their own board. If their post really irritates me I move on; if it doesn't I read it and try to glean what I can from it. We are all in this together (life, homeschooling, parenting) so we ALL have something to contribute. It would be a shame to begin a segregation trend.

I think part of the reason why is because many of us who would use a secular board would still end up coming to the main boards to read. Even though I prefer completely secular materials, I still want to keep up with all of what's out there.

If you are wanting input on secular materials in particular, start a thread with "secular" in the title. That's like a beacon to the rest of us to make sure we read and respond if we can.

As far as the General board (since I just now realized that is where this thread sits), well, I think the name says it all. It's a General board about anything and everything (and nothing, sometimes) anyone may want to talk about. Setting aside a secular board, for as much as I would really like that, would defeat the purpose of a "general" board.

I want to second the Denim Jumper board. It's not nearly as active, and there are people homeschooling in many different ways there. But there are certainly enough WTMers there that if we would started posting more, I think it could really develop into a more active community.

There is a way to block certain users so that their posts don't show up. I'm not sure how it works, but since the number of people that post in a way that you don't like is probably limited, eventually you would never see Christian posts that don't CC.

:iagree: I really appreciate reading everyone's ideas. I learn a lot by seeing things from a different POV. In my book, folks is folks. Of course, since I am a Christian, my posts reflect that worldview but I really do enjoy hearing what others have to say on a subject. I would much rather have a diverse group than a Christian or secular group. Besides, I would *still* have to wade through all the Christian threads that I don't agree with doctrinally;).

:iagree:Well said, Mindy.

I'm on the secular WTM group, Secular Sonlight, and the Secular Homeschooling group. I still like coming here, I just skip over the posts asking for Christian advice, as I don't have that to offer.

There have been a few times when I read threads that turned very religious or political, and I felt like dropping this board, but I never do. Generally it's a great place to be.

Michelle T

As mentioned the WellTrainedMindSecular Yahoo group and The Denim Jumper may prove to be more suitable to you.

However, I think if you are willing to view these boards with an open mind, you will find that there is great diversity here. It is the diversity which makes this such an exceptional place in terms of forums. Like posts about baby boys (I have none), or Disney (I'm not inclined), or running a marathon (a mile maybe, but not a marathon), I simply skip over posts to which I don't relate. I will say that after spending time here over the years, and delving into some topics that are out of my preferred comfort zone, I have learned a great deal, and I have made friends with individuals with whom I may never have crossed paths in the more "predictable" construct of my real life. In terms of beliefs, we have members here who are Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, Jew as well as atheist, pagan, agnostic, and more. It disappoints me to see how often homeschoolers separate themselves into religious and non-religious segments which, to me, overlooks the point that homeschooling itself is common ground. As is parenting. As is living.

Sorry, I realize I'm starting to sound a bit like a spokesperson for these boards. I promise, I'm not paid for the marketing. :D I'll close with this: if she and you will forgive me for speaking for her, I would wager a bet that the board owner, Susan Wise Bauer, does not wish to segregate us based on our differences but rather to encourage community by giving us a place where we can share what we have in common.

Wishing you well.

:iagree: I have learned so much from others here. It helps me to see another POV.

I'm new here and have enjoyed the openess towards both the religious and non-religious. I guess it fits me very well right now since I'm not sure where I stand. Agnostic? Christian? While I'm working out my faith life, this has been a great place to talk because I don't have to be all on one side. I can read the Christian content threads and maybe glean something for myself, yet I can ask about secular materials. And if it's too religious, or too secular, I just move on. I can't think of any other homeschooling board that offers that.

Janet

We're secular and I will not use Christian curriculum. That said, I have gotten great advice and curriculum options from Christians on this board. What I would enjoy and would save me lots of research time, is if people could label their curriculum recommendations as Christian or Secular when they post in threads not obviously labeled as one or the other.

I think of it this way....SWB has opened up a lounge in her house for us all to gather together. She's free to offer the options she wants to offer and we can choose to visit on her terms. Those who don't feel welcome or uncomfortable have the option of opening up their own lounge with their own rules/restrictions/entry requirements.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that doesn't' have to be a reason why she doesn't offer a secular option. It is what it is.

Peace.

Janet

I too have noticed the rise in posts including religion. But that's just a sign of the times... they're tough. Those that believe in a deity are going to turn to him these days.

As to a separate board... I have to disagree. If believers and non-believers can't manage to live together here, united by the common interest of educating our kids... we're worse off than I ever imagined.

However, I think if you are willing to view these boards with an open mind, you will find that there is great diversity here. It is the diversity which makes this such an exceptional place in terms of forums. Like posts about baby boys (I have none), or Disney (I'm not inclined), or running a marathon (a mile maybe, but not a marathon), I simply skip over posts to which I don't relate. However, I will say that after spending time here over the years, and delving into some topics that are out of my preferred comfort zone, I have learned a great deal, and I have made friends with individuals with whom I may never have crossed paths in the more "predictable" construct of my real life. In terms of beliefs, we have members here who are Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, Jew as well as atheist, pagan, agnostic, and more. It disappoints me to see how often homeschoolers separate themselves into religious and non-religious segments which, to me, overlooks the point that homeschooling itself is common ground. As is parenting. As is living.

Sorry, I realize I'm starting to sound a bit like a spokesperson for these boards. I promise, I'm not paid for the marketing. :D I'll close with this: if she and you will forgive me for speaking for her, I would wager a bet that the board owner, Susan Wise Bauer, does not wish to segregate us based on our differences but rather to encourage community by giving us a place where we can share what we have in common.

First time I've ever used this but, :iagree: . Bravo and well said! You wrote my post for me. ;)

As mentioned the WellTrainedMindSecular Yahoo group and The Denim Jumper may prove to be more suitable to you.

However, I think if you are willing to view these boards with an open mind, you will find that there is great diversity here. It is the diversity which makes this such an exceptional place in terms of forums. Like posts about baby boys (I have none), or Disney (I'm not inclined), or running a marathon (a mile maybe, but not a marathon), I simply skip over posts to which I don't relate. However, I will say that after spending time here over the years, and delving into some topics that are out of my preferred comfort zone, I have learned a great deal, and I have made friends with individuals with whom I may never have crossed paths in the more "predictable" construct of my real life. In terms of beliefs, we have members here who are Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, Jew as well as atheist, pagan, agnostic, and more. It disappoints me to see how often homeschoolers separate themselves into religious and non-religious segments which, to me, overlooks the point that homeschooling itself is common ground. As is parenting. As is living.

Wishing you well.

Thank you, Doran. My sentiments exactly!

Totally appreciate ALL the replies. Even though, I will still HOPE eventually TWTM may open more boards or sub boards. :cheers2:

Ah, well. Stick around for a while. Participate in some threads. Read some that you think you may find objectionable or questionable. Do all of this with an open mind. My guess is that your hope of more boards or sub boards shall dimish and eventually disappear. ;)

In terms of beliefs, we have members here who are Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, Jew as well as atheist, pagan, agnostic, and more. It disappoints me to see how often homeschoolers separate themselves into religious and non-religious segments which, to me, overlooks the point that homeschooling itself is common ground. As is parenting. As is living.

Wishing you well.

Awesome post, Doran!

I tried to rep you, but I couldn't. That's it in a nutshell. No good purpose would be served by having a little secular ghetto within TWTM boards. Guess what? We'd go in there and read stuff anyway, because most of us are nosy!

But seriously, welcome to the real world: this board is a microcosm of it. No matter where you turn you will find people who embrace a worldview/religion/code of ethics/food preference/etc. that differs from your own. Your life is made better because of them, and vice versa.

Well said..:iagree:

Wishing you well.

I too have noticed the rise in posts including religion. But that's just a sign of the times... they're tough. Those that believe in a deity are going to turn to him these days.

As to a separate board... I have to disagree. If believers and non-believers can't manage to live together here, united by the common interest of educating our kids... we're worse off than I ever imagined.

:iagree:Well said.

I really appreciate the variety and openness of posters on this board, and generally the level of respect given to each other. As a relatively new homeschooler, I have found it hard to meet and talk openly with other hs'ers IRL. Many seem to be cliquey or defensive or...I don't know. I don't feel welcome asking them ANYTHING because I don't know why they're acting so closed-off and almost secretive.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Exactly! I only wish my local homeschool group was like this board. I welcome differing points of view on anything.

I would like to see a secular section to these boards as well. I don't care for the Denim Jumper. Vegesource is a total waste. Yahoo message boards are awful and difficult to navigate. These boards are set up nicely.

I especially would like it from a curriculum point of view. I don't like wading through posts of religious curriculum and trying to find non-religious curriculum suggestions. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Also, when posting about a problem or wanting advice I don't want to read Bible verses and have the advice given through the lens of Christian beliefs and theology. Again, it's alot to wade through and I'm just not interested in this point of view anymore.

It seems to that many threads that are not Christian based get swayed in that direction anyway.

So I'd really like to see a secular section too.

I will still HOPE eventually TWTM may open more boards or sub boards.

Why?

By the way, nice to have you on board, Carol.:) I hope you get a chance to read Doran's reply below, which I think nicely summarizes the advantages of a diverse community.

I would like to see a secular section to these boards as well...I especially would like it from a curriculum point of view. I don't like wading through posts of religious curriculum and trying to find non-religious curriculum suggestions.

It seems so simple to me. If you're looking for a specifically (fill in the blank) curriculum, why not clearly state that in posting your request? People from all variety of backgrounds do that on a regular basis.

Also, when posting about a problem or wanting advice I don't want to read Bible verses and have the advice given through the lens of Christian beliefs and theology. Again, it's alot to wade through and I'm just not interested in this point of view.

Again, why not state that you're not looking for a specifically Christian take on things? And then keep an open mind and be willing to listen to a variety of input nonetheless.

I find it a bit offensive, a bit sad, when people speak of having to "wade" through other's thoughts. I read, or begin to read, all manner of things here with which I disagree. If it genuinely disturbs or disinterests me, I can stop reading. Many's the time, though, when it does provide insight worth my consideration. Perhaps it's something I think is wa-a-a-y out in left field. So what? We're a diverse lot, we human beings, and I'm a better for person if I can tolerate listening to the diversity. Doesn't mean I have to agree. Doesn't mean I have to take it to heart.

I find it a bit offensive, a bit sad, when people speak of having to "wade" through other's thoughts.

I don't know that I would say I find it offensive, but I certainly find it ironic. I mean, one of the biggest draws to this board is the sheer number of posters, and therefore advice/information you can receive. The thing is, there are plenty of secular boards out there, and they are very quiet, and have very little to offer. I like it here because I can get SO much information in one place. But I fully expect to have to "wade" through things. It's an obvious (to me anyway) side-effect of having a heavily populated board.

It's like shopping at a large store versus going to a specialty store. I would have to go to 15 different specialty stores to buy all the things I can get at larger store. Sure, I have to walk past aisles and aisles of things I don't want in the large store, but I can get everything I need in one place. That's what I like about these boards.

Colleen - You're assuming *I* am starting the thread in which case I *can* ask for a secular view point. (In which case usually someone cannot contain themselves and offers Christian input anyway.)

But many times I like to read other people's threads to see if I can learn anything new or find out about curriculum. So in that way, I am wading.

I won't get into specifics here about *my* journey but it has nothing to do with not wanting different view points. I have *personally* just had enough of the Christian view and theology. I'm saturated with it. Overloaded with it. I've had enough, that's all.

In my experience, the secular boards in other places on the net are very slow and there's not much action. I can see these boards here at The Well Trained Mind having a good secular section where people post and there is alot of action. I'd really like to see it.